Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 2,060 Words
  • 3,508 Views
  • 26 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Box of Crackers - 7. Chapter 7

Not all children who end up on the streets are there because of parents disowning them. Meet Butch

We were sitting at the kitchen table, Fred came over and it was just us. Bobby had gone to Luigi’s and was eating there as a guest of Jimmy’s. “Pete, how does it feel to be a father.”

“Fred, there’s nothing to compare it to. When I graduated from college, I thought that was great, then when Dave and I started the business and it was going well, I thought that was great. But all of that pales in comparison to being a father and particularly to Bobby. You need to think about adopting. I thought my life was ok until Bobby came, I could never go back to a life without him.”

“I don’t know about adopting. I know I’ll never have any children being gay. I thought my life was like every other guy in our group. But you have spoiled that, now when I look at our group there’s something missing. I’m not saying no to adoption, but I just need to find the right person before I even think about it.”

“Just keep an open mind. You never know where or when someone might show up and make the connection.”

Bobby came in with a cannoli, “Jimmy said this is for you.” I gave him a kiss on the cheek. “Hey, you should give that to Jimmy, the cannoli is from him.”

“Maybe the next time I see him I will.” The look on Bobby’s face was priceless, he didn’t expect me to say that. .

“I think Jimmy has a crush on you Pete. You know he isn’t a bad catch. Think of all the great meals you’d have.”

“And all the running I’d have to do to stay in shape.”

Fred gave me a hug and left. “How was your dinner?”

“It was good. They weren’t too busy and Jimmy showed me the kitchen. I got to sample some Italian ice, Jimmy said he would teach me how to make it. Dad, you know Jimmy likes you, don’t you?”

“I guess a lot of people like me Bobby.”

“No Dad, not like your friends who like you, I mean, he really likes you.”

“How do you know this?”

“He told me. He asked me how I’d react if he dated you and would I call him dad, if you and him were to live together.”

“What did you say?”

“I told him I would call him Pops or Old Man.”

I laughed, “You didn’t?”

“Yes, and then he chased me, when he caught me he tickled me until I said uncle. I like Jimmy, he’s a good guy.”

     

Saturday night, Jimmy showed up but he wasn’t alone. “Jimmy, who’s your friend?”

“Pete, this is Butch. He needs a place to stay and I was hoping he could stay here.”

I called Bobby, “Bobby, this is Butch. Why don’t you play some games with him while Jimmy and I prepare dinner. Butch, you’ll stay for dinner, won’t you?”

“Yes, sir, thank you.”

Jimmy followed me up to the kitchen, “What gives with Butch?”

“He lives in those run down houses on the other side of the park by the tracks. His mother was taken to the hospital. He has no place to stay.”

“How do you know him?”

“When he was hungry, he’d come to the restaurant and wash dishes for food. The kid isn’t lazy, he was willing to work for his food.”

“If his mother is in the hospital, why can’t he stay in his home?” “

They were renting the house, the owner used his mother as payment for the rent. When she got sick, he wanted the boy to pay for the rent. Butch refused, the man told him to get out. Everything he owns is in that duffle bag.”

I looked at Jimmy and I saw tears in his eyes. I realized then that this man had a soft heart which mimicked mine. No child should have to sell themselves to live. “Ok, he can stay here.”

Jimmy grabbed me and gave me a kiss. I looked into his eyes and kissed him right back. We broke apart and both smiled at each other, like kids.

“Pete, I have always liked you. When you brought Bobby into the restaurant and I realized you took him off the street giving him a home, I knew I had deeper feelings for you. I could only hope you could have feelings for me.”

I pulled Jimmy toward me and gave him another kiss, “Does that answer your question?”

Bobby and Butch came up, “Dad, we’re hungry, have you and Jimmy prepared dinner?” “

Not yet, Butch, bring your duffle bag up here so we can wash your clothes. You ll be staying here.”

Bobby smiled and grabbed Butch’s hand and led him back downstairs. Jimmy started dinner, I started to sort through Butch’s duffle bag. Most of his clothes were rags, another trip to JC Penny’s.

“Jimmy, tomorrow after church, I’m taking Butch shopping. I’d like to leave Bobby with you at the soup kitchen and if we get back in time, we’ll stop there, otherwise we’ll see you here at home.”

I made a list of clothes and wrote down his sizes. When his clothes were washed, I separated them into doable and rubbish. He had enough doable to go to church.

Jimmy made a fantastic dinner, I went and brought a chair from the office up to the kitchen. “I think I’m going to have to buy a new table for the kitchen or a dining room table for the living room. There’s room in the living room to put a dining room table on one side.”

“Dad has a spare dining room table in the garage. It could sit six easily and I think all it needs is cleaning and polishing. I’ll ask him about it tomorrow morning.”

Bobby noticed that Jimmy and I kept looking at each other. He’d look at me intensively and then smile, he’d do the same with Jimmy. I just smiled at him. “Butch, where did you go to school?”

“I went to Clayville High.”

“How were your grades?”

“I was an A and B student. My mom always said that I need to keep my grades up if I was to get out of living in the slums.”

“Your mother was right. Jimmy, do you think you could check on his mother and see how she’s doing. After my errands tomorrow, we might want to go to the hospital and check on her.” I noticed some tears in Butch’s eyes. Bobby also noticed and put his hand on Butch’s arm and I could see a slight squeeze.

 

Sunday morning was a circus. Bobby and Butch had to take a shower, being boys, they horsed around and got more water on the floor than on themselves. Dressed, we were ready for Church. Father was glad to see us and congratulated Bobby on his new Dad. I introduced Butch to Father, he looked at me as if to say, one is not enough you need two.

Butch shook Father’s hand, “Thank you Father.” Father looked him quizzically, “I have eaten at your soup kitchen many times.” Father looked at me and there was a twinkle in his eyes.

There’s a time in our service when special comments or prayers are made. Father took that time to mention that I had a new son, Robert, and a new house guest who are helping at our Sunday soup kitchen. “Let’s remember them in our prayers.”

I knew that wasn’t going to be the end of it. On the way out, “Bobby, Butch, you’re both of the age to begin confirmation class. We meet Saturday morning for an hour, do you think you could make it? It starts at ten.”

Bobby looked at me, I nodded yes, “Yes Father, Butch and I will be here at ten.” I guess if Butch had any other ideas, it was too late, he was being committed.

“Father, Bobby will help in the kitchen and I think Jimmy will be here as well. I have an errand to run. If I have time, we’ll stop by.”

“Butch, let’s go, we have some shopping to do.” Arriving at the mall, we went directly to Penny’s. I took a cart and gave it to Butch. Same routine, as we walked to various sections in the store, I’d ask Butch a question, make a selection, ask for his approval and then into the cart. I moved fast knowing where to go. In a little over an hour, we were headed to the check out. Checking out, I took Butch to the electronics store, lap top and cell phone. Stopped at a flower shop and pick up a bouquet of flowers for his mother. I looked at Butch, he was crying.

I called Jimmy and checked on his mother, she was in critical condition. I called Fred to meet me at the hospital. When we arrived at the hospital, we were told Butch’s mother was in ICC. Following directions, we went to his mother’s room. The nurse took the flowers and found a vase for them. His mother was awake, but you could tell she was worn out. I left her and Butch alone. Fred arrived and had the form appointing me as Butch’s guardian. I took the paper and went into the room.

“Thank you for taking Butch in. I worry about him.”

“You don’t need to worry anymore. Butch will be living with me until you’re well enough to take care of him. I do need you to authorize me to take care of him and to speak for him. I have a form for that for you to sign. I’ll be his guardian. This will allow me to act in his best interest.”

“Butch has told me about you and how kind you were. I’m sure you’ll take good care of him for me.”

I held the paper while she signed, I had one of the nurses sign as a witness. I gave the signed paper to Fred and he’d take care of the rest. I left Butch with his mother until the nurse said that we needed to leave as his mother needed her rest. I told Butch we’d come back tomorrow. He was crying as we got into the car. I put my arms around him and pulled him into me. Holding him while he cried.

“My mother is going to die isn’t she?”

“I don’t know the answer to that question, only God knows. But whatever happens, you’ll have a home with me and Bobby.”

I let him cry until there were no more tears, just the deep sob of knowing the one person who put his interest above hers, may not get well. When he quieted down, I drove to the church. “Butch, why don’t you go upstairs and offer a prayer for your mother. God listens, but He does what’s best for your mom and you.”

Jimmy came over as soon as he saw me, “Did you go to the hospital?”

“Yes, and it doesn’t look good. She is exhausted, like she has given her all and there’s nothing more to give. We had a talk and she appointed me as Butch’s guardian.”

“Where’s Butch now?”

“He’s upstairs praying. I think he realizes she’s dying, but he can’t accept it. I told him to pray and that God will decide what’s best for her and him. I hope that will be enough.”

    

“Butch, are you hungry or can you wait until you get to Mr. Atwood’s?”

“I can wait, Father”

Just then Bobby came and asked Butch if he wanted to help. Butch nodded and headed to a

table that needed clearing. “Glad you’re back Pete, but I think we’re about done.”

“Father, the boy who was with me this morning, Butch, his mother is in the hospital. I’m not sure how long she has but I was wondering if you would go and see her.”

He took out a small note book, I told him her name and that she was in ICC. He said he’d check on her during his morning rounds. I thanked him and seeing all the tables cleared, gathered my troops and left to go home.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 39
  • Love 16
  • Sad 16
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



21 minutes ago, Gomez Stanley C said:

Butch has landed in a good place. 

 

He has landed in a nest of love and concern.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Excellent chapter! Pete and Fred were visiting and talking about what it’s like to be a father, Bobby was having lunch with Jimmy at Luigi’s restaurant. Jimmy turned up at Pete and Bobby’s home with Butch a homeless teenager asking them to allow Butch to stay while his mother is in the hospital. They agreed and a relationship between Pete and Jimmy has begun. Butch is afraid that his mother won’t survive, Pete, Jimmy and Bobby are doing everything that they can to help. The priest at their church is bewildered by the second boy until he’s given the full picture. I’m afraid that Butch will be a permanent addition to this amazing family. I know Bobby will be able to comfort and support his new brother since he has already been through his own losses. I still am loving this story, and I am definitely looking forward to the next chapter! 😢❤️

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

I thought maybe Butch would be a son for Fred, but he's still waiting for 'Mr. Right' to come along.

It looks like Bobby won't be the only one with a 'Mother' angel watching over her child.

:heart:

 

I feel for Butch. He has had a hard life watching what the landlord was doing. I don't think Pete is going to let that go. He will find a way to get revenge on that landlord.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
10 hours ago, flesco said:

Excellent chapter! Pete and Fred were visiting and talking about what it’s like to be a father, Bobby was having lunch with Jimmy at Luigi’s restaurant. Jimmy turned up at Pete and Bobby’s home with Butch a homeless teenager asking them to allow Butch to stay while his mother is in the hospital. They agreed and a relationship between Pete and Jimmy has begun. Butch is afraid that his mother won’t survive, Pete, Jimmy and Bobby are doing everything that they can to help. The priest at their church is bewildered by the second boy until he’s given the full picture. I’m afraid that Butch will be a permanent addition to this amazing family. I know Bobby will be able to comfort and support his new brother since he has already been through his own losses. I still am loving this story, and I am definitely looking forward to the next chapter! 😢❤️

Yes, I think with Pete being the guardian, Butch will have a home.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Yes - another "feel-good" chapter although, I see sadness for Butch's mom! 

Pete's family has grown and hopefully another Dad is in the picture!!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
11 minutes ago, KayDeeMac said:

Yes - another "feel-good" chapter although, I see sadness for Butch's mom! 

Pete's family has grown and hopefully another Dad is in the picture!!

Butch's mom is in bad shape, but someone will pay if Pete has his way.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Go Pete.

From being single, to a Father, then a Partner (practically) and now another potential Son.

I just realised, with Jimmy will come Grandparents. Italian Grandparents. Yay Bobby and Butch.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Buz said:

Go Pete.

From being single, to a Father, then a Partner (practically) and now another potential Son.

I just realised, with Jimmy will come Grandparents. Italian Grandparents. Yay Bobby and Butch.

Yes the best kind in my book.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Having Italian grandparents while I was growing up, I can attest that life is wonderful with them!  My son had two sets of Italian grandparents - think he was spoiled with love?  

I do appreciate the positive spin you're providing on religion - too many stories only focus on the negative. There really are supportive churches and congregations around.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
34 minutes ago, pvtguy said:

Having Italian grandparents while I was growing up, I can attest that life is wonderful with them!  My son had two sets of Italian grandparents - think he was spoiled with love?  

I do appreciate the positive spin you're providing on religion - too many stories only focus on the negative. There really are supportive churches and congregations around.

You are lucky, I had only one. That was the only set of grandparents I had. And it was enough, the love I got I wish every child would or could get.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
14 minutes ago, CLJobe said:

You are lucky, I had only one. That was the only set of grandparents I had. And it was enough, the love I got I wish every child would or could get.

To clarify, I only had one set of Italian grandparents.  My mother's mother died when my mother was 15 and her father was wonderful, but lived a great distance from us, so we rarely saw him.  We lived next to my grandparents for a good portion of my life, so I was there every day.  Lots of the family would gather on Sundays for spaghetti and meatballs (usually) and on the holidays.  Yet, it was the everyday life that was so special to me.You are correct:  the love is what made it so special.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Just now, pvtguy said:

To clarify, I only had one set of Italian grandparents.  My mother's mother died when my mother was 15 and her father was wonderful, but lived a great distance from us, so we rarely saw him.  We lived next to my grandparents for a good portion of my life, so I was there every day.  Lots of the family would gather on Sundays for spaghetti and meatballs (usually) and on the holidays.  Yet, it was the everyday life that was so special to me.You are correct:  the love is what made it so special.

Are you sure we aren't related. That is exactly the. same for me. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

This was a good chapter looks like Jeff has another son and a boyfriend as well. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..