Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,408 Words
  • 3,342 Views
  • 23 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Box of Crackers - 14. Chapter 14

It took six months to get the apartment finished. Fred did get Paul’s signature relinquishing all rights to Alex, Alex was enrolled in the same school with the boys, Jimmy was happy therefore, I was happy.

Now with more room, each of the boys had their own bedroom, but many mornings I’d find Bobby and Butch in the same bed. I invited Evie and her family to join us for New Years and they accepted.

Jimmy was happy, his new kitchen was state of the art. Soon he was cooking and sending it downstairs to his dad. There were always someone in our home, Jimmy’s family, our friends and friends of the kids. I was happy and in love with my family. Work was going very well, I did hire a young college graduate to fill the legal position. He was married, his wife was a nurse.

Why is it when everything seems to be going well, all hell breaks loose? Paul decided that he wanted Alex to come home. That’s the last thing Alex wanted. I guess Paul forget he signed away his rights to Alex, he was notified that I had filed for his adoption. Now he wanted Alex, not for Alex’s sake, but to further harass me. In the mean time, our wonderful Child Services told Alex he had to go home until the case was settled. There was no way that would happen. On the day Alex was to leave, we where in the Judge’s courtroom. Fred produced the documents giving me custody of Alex, which had been on file at the court house. The judge asked the attorney for Child Services why they wanted the child to be returned to his parents.

The attorney for Child Services said the child’s father missed the child and regretted agreeing to grant custody to his brother. The Judge asked how long ago had the custody agreement been signed. The Child Services attorney said it was signed nine months ago which could be attested by the date on the signature.

“This was signed nine months ago, where you aware of this letter?”

Child Services attorney, “Yes your Honor, a copy was delivered to our office.”

"Did you follow up on this or consider the case close?”

"Since the custody was granted to a family member, we had no reason to interfere. Everything looked legal and appeared that the child’s father willingly gave up his custody of the child.”

“In view of the petition for adoption, did that have anything to do with the child’s fathers request.”

“Not to my knowledge”

“When was the father given notice of the pending adoption and by whom?”

“The notice was sent to the father from my office. As you are aware Child Services would be required to investigate the home and make a recommendation.”

“Isn’t that only when a child was placed in the Agencies care?”

“Normally yes, but this was an unusual case.”

“In what way was this unusual?”

“The child was placed with Mr. Atwood outside of the Agency.”

“Because the father relinquished his rights directly to his brother.”

“Yes, your Honor”

“Then I see no reason for this child to be sent to his father. Alex, I’d like to see you in my office, alone.”

The attorney for Child Services demanded to be present to protect the interest of the child. The judge looked at him, “Are you serious or just incompetent? I’ll see the child in my chambers, alone.”

Alex followed the Judge, we sat in the court room and waited and waited. Forty-five minutes, Alex came out of the Judge’s chambers with a big smile. He handed me a paper, signed by the Judge that approved the pending adoption. “Uncle Pete, er Dad, I didn’t have to change my name since we are both Atwood’s.”

The judge was smiling when he entered the court room. “There was a petition for adoption of Alex Atwood which I have approved. Mr. Atwood, you may pick up Alex’s birth certificate in five days from the Clerk’s office.”

The attorney for Childs Services stood and objected to the approval of the adoption. The Judge looked at him, “If you wish to pursue this in my court, you better have a brief quoting chapter and verse of the law that was violated today. Court adjoined.”

That was the end of Paul’s attempt at getting back at me. He didn’t want Alex back, but when he realized that Alex wanted to be with me, he couldn’t stand that. Alex was now my son, not his, I was glad and Alex was glad so we celebrated at Luigi’s. Fred had to tell all my friends and they teased us relentlessly. Billy wanted me to adopt him, Fred said he needed a new dad, and so it went. Luigi was very pleased and we had a fantastic dinner. The whole restaurant was into the spirit of Alex becoming my son.

 

Evie and family didn’t make it for New Years, but plans were made for Easter. The boys were excited and if truth be known, so was I. Except for seeing the gang at Luigi’s, I had very little contact with them. But every time I saw them, I encouraged them to adopt a child. I’m not sure who was first, Billy or Al but by Easter, they were escorting a young man. I wanted my friends to meet my sister and family, so we had a big Easter dinner, cooked by Jimmy. The house was full. Don hit it off with my friends and by the end of the evening they were planning hunting trips. Evie was Jimmy’s sou chef and the boys were busy entertaining Donnie. I noticed Donnie checking out some of the waitresses that worked for Luigi.

Luigi had a daughter the same age as Donnie. I noticed the eyeing of each of them when they were together. I told Jimmy to watch them, he looked at me and smiled. “Don’t worry about them, he’s a nice boy and he couldn’t do better. Look at his Uncle.”

The next morning, I pulled Donnie aside and asked him to go to the office with me. We stopped at the kiosk, grabbed a coffee and a bagel, took the elevator to my office. I introduced Donnie to Mrs. Marlow, she made a comment about him being a nice looking boy. Walking into my office, I shut the door. “Donnie, I couldn’t help noticing that you were looking at Angela most of last night. She’s a nice girl as well as a beautiful girl. But, you have to be careful, Luigi is Italian and if he thinks you are taking advantage of Angela, he might do things that you wouldn’t like. I don’t think it should go that far. I like you, I like Angela and I think you make a cute couple. Nothing would make Jimmy and me more proud, if you and Angela end up together. I’m telling you this so you understand and won’t make any mistakes.”

“I do like her Uncle Pete, she’s very pretty and very funny. I enjoy being with her. You aren’t telling me to not see her are you?”

“No, I’m telling you to respect her and no is no.”

Donnie blushed, he knew exactly what I was referring to. “I’d never do that to her. I think I have fallen in love with her and I think I’d want to possibly marry her when I finish college. I wouldn’t want to jeopardize that possibility.”

“When do you finish college?” I knew he was enrolled but I wasn’t sure what level.

“I’m currently a junior, I have three more years because I want my MBA. I took accelerated courses in high school so when I started college I was ahead of my class. That allowed me to take sophomore classes and the freshman classes I didn’t have in high school. So this year, I had the junior classes I need and two senior classes. I plan to go to summer school and then I’ll be able to finish in two more years.”

“That’s a pretty ambitious schedule. Have you talked to Angela about her plans?” I knew that Angela was in college but didn’t know what level.

“No, not yet but I want to do that before we go home.”

We chatted a little more. “Let’s go to Luigi’s for lunch.”

   

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 41
  • Love 27
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

18 minutes ago, tinytoes said:

Was there any mention of Alex's mom? I read this pretty fast.

No, there was no mention of Alex's mother. But judging from Alex's comments his mother was not his friend otherwise he would have been more reluctant to the idea of living with Pete. In most families I'm familiar with, the boys gravitate to the mothers as the girls gravitate to the father.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

If Paul really wanted Alex he would have shown up at the hearing.You would like to say CPS would not be as incompetent as they were in this chapter but we know that's not true. You think Donnie could work for Pete?

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
2 hours ago, CLJobe said:

No, there was no mention of Alex's mother. But judging from Alex's comments his mother was not his friend otherwise he would have been more reluctant to the idea of living with Pete. In most families I'm familiar with, the boys gravitate to the mothers as the girls gravitate to the father.

 

8 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

If Paul really wanted Alex he would have shown up at the hearing.You would like to say CPS would not be as incompetent as they were in this chapter but we know that's not true. You think Donnie could work for Pete?

 

How old is Alex ?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, mikedup said:

Awesome chapter, no nonsense from the idiot family lawyer, an expanding family

I think the Judge is well aware of the situation. Fred had filed the letter from Paul with the court when they returned from visiting his sister Evie.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

 

44 minutes ago, Tonyr said:

 

How old is Alex ?

 I went back to the chapter where Pete and family met the kids he said Donnie looked to be 17or 18 years old then when Alex showed up they said he was Donnie's age. So no specific age was given.If Alex is that old then I would have to think Alex would have had the right not to go back to his father if the court ruled with Paul.

Edited by weinerdog
  • Like 5
Link to comment
12 minutes ago, CLJobe said:

I think the Judge is well aware of the situation. Fred had filed the letter from Paul with the court when they returned from visiting his sister Evie.

How old is Alex?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Tonyr said:

How old is Alex?

He is roughly the same age as Evie's Donnie. This would make him a junior in high  school.He would be a senior in the fall term

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Outstanding chapter! I’m happy that the construction was completed so quickly and that the family has made it home. Paul and the CPS lawyer contesting the adoption was ludicrous and blatantly illegal. Welcome to the family Alex! I’m also very happy for Donnie and Angela dating. Donnie is getting his CPA and we’re going to have to wait to see how this budding relationship develops. I’m glad that Billy and Al have joined in the fostering/adoption process. I think that they will be very happy and will enjoy the rewards of family life. I’m definitely looking forward to the next chapter! 😃❤️

  • Like 2
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, flesco said:

Outstanding chapter! I’m happy that the construction was completed so quickly and that the family has made it home. Paul and the CPS lawyer contesting the adoption was ludicrous and blatantly illegal. Welcome to the family Alex! I’m also very happy for Donnie and Angela dating. Donnie is getting his CPA and we’re going to have to wait to see how this budding relationship develops. I’m glad that Billy and Al have joined in the fostering/adoption process. I think that they will be very happy and will enjoy the rewards of family life. I’m definitely looking forward to the next chapter! 😃❤️

Thanks for reading and commenting. I really appreciate these comments from you and other readers. I should have started to post several years ago. 🙂

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 9/5/2020 at 4:12 PM, tinytoes said:

Was there any mention of Alex's mom? I read this pretty fast.

I have been wondering about her as well 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
46 minutes ago, Bft said:

I have been wondering about her as well 

Alex's mom wasn't a primary character in the story Her husband was an over bearing cruel man.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..