Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,194 Words
  • 3,975 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Box of Crackers - 5. Chapter 5

The alarm went off at six am. I went took my shower, finished my ablutions, dressed and went to fix breakfast. I started the coffee, then got the griddle ready for pancakes. I thought one of these mornings, I’m going to make french toast for Bobby. I started to prepare the battler for pancakes, threw in some blueberries and heated the griddle. I still had some turkey bacon, I put that in the microwave. As I began to stack the pancakes, I felt and arm around my waist. “Good morning Champ, how did you sleep.”

“I had a dream.”

“Want to tell me about your dream?”

“In my dream, my mother came to me and said I’m in a good place now. I got the feeling she was happy.”

I just looked at him. He had a smile and his eyes seem to smile as well. I bent down and hugged him, he put his arm around my neck and kissed me on my cheek. Then I had tears in my eyes. I quickly turned to finish the pancakes. I didn’t want him to see me with tears. He went and got the juice out of the refrigerator, filled the two glasses on the table. I set the pancakes down between us. With the plates in front of our chairs, Bobby set the silverware and got the milk out. “Bobby, would you prefer hot coco instead of milk?” His eyes lit up as I said hot coco, but I knew he’d be disappointed as I didn’t add chocolate mints like Luigi did. I made the hot coco, thank heaven for microwaves.

As we ate, Bobby kept looking at me. “Are you going to be ok while I’m at work?”

“Yes, I’ll just stay here until you come home.”

“Don’t answer the phone, people who know me, know I’m not home during the day. Don’t answer the door, I have a key. I’ll tell Andy at the desk that you’re here alone. If you need him, push this button on the intercom.” Leaving Bobby, I wasn’t very comfortable, but I had to go to work. I stopped at the security desk and told Andy that Bobby was home alone and what I told Bobby. He said he’d keep an eye on anyone who came in.

As soon as I was in the office, there was a message on the phone. Dave had called to say he would be out of the office the rest of the week. Evidently where he was, the snow and ice were too treacherous to drive. That left me alone in the office. I started to work on my accounts and soon I noticed, I worked straight through to lunch time. I wanted to get Bobby a cellphone, I went to the store where I bought mine, bought one for him and added it to my account. Now I felt a little easier.

Picking up a sandwich, I headed back to the office. Again I got lost in my work and when I noticed the time, it was five thirty. I packed up some unfinished work and headed home.

When I arrived at the apartment, I didn’t see Bobby. I panicked and began to check all of the rooms. He was asleep in my bed. “Hey little man, wake up.” Slowly he realized it was me and he was in my bed.

He blushed, “I missed you.”

“I missed you as well. Maybe tomorrow you can come to work with me.” Nice about being the boss, no one to ask if it’s okay.

We had baked chicken for dinner that night. I had some rolls and I noticed Bobby trying to use the salad to make a sandwich. “Not as good as Luigi’s”

The next morning after breakfast, I told Bobby to get dressed since he was coming to work with me. By the time I finished stacking the breakfast dishes in the dishwasher, he was dressed standing next to me.

Bundled up, we walked to my office, Mrs. Marlow was there. “It was too boring at home so I had to come in.”

I introduced Bobby to Mrs. Marlow and her grandmother instinct took over. She had Bobby sitting in the chair, coloring and telling him stories. I looked and smiled, wondering how my parents would react if I told them I have a son. My relationship with my father was cool, we sort of tolerated each other. My mother was confused, she just didn't understand. I have an older brother, who wanted nothing to do with me. Life isn't all peaches and cream.

For lunch, we went to a small restaurant close to work. I have eaten there once or twice, mostly when I had clients. We were shown to our table and handed our menus. I knew that this restaurant was visited by a lot of businessmen and they prefer not to have kids present. Bobby acted better than some of the other patrons, particularly, if a mistake was made. I'm not sure how many waiters were disgraced in front of a client by the maître d’. The only reason I came here was because it was close.

We ordered our lunch and while the waiter was gone, I gave Bobby his phone. He looked at me, got out of his chair and gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek. The waiter look at him as if to say, ‘we don't permit that here’. Bobby look at the waiter, in a loud voice, “Are you saying I can't kiss my dad.” The waiter blush, every other patron close by smiled. What none of them notice, the tears in my eyes. If only he knew how bad I wanted to be his dad.

I paid for our lunch and on the way back, we stopped at the kiosk in the lobby. Bobby saw a book he wanted but didn't ask for it. “Bobby, have you read the Harry Potter series?” He shook his head no. I went and picked up several from the series, paid for them, I gave them to Bobby. You would've thought I gave him a hundred dollars.

As soon as we got to the office, Bobby had to show Mrs. Marlow his books. They chatted for a while and then he came into my office, stretched out and began to read. He was so engrossed in his reading that he never heard Mrs. Marlow say she was going home. I looked at the clock and it was five, “Bobby, ready to go home?”

“As soon as I finish this chapter Dad, I have only one more page to go.” I waited and watched him as he read. I wondered how Fred made out. When he was finished, he closed the book, “Dad, these books are fantastic. I like ‘Lord of the Rings’ but I also like these.”

“You know there are movies as well. When you finish a story, I'll see if we can rent a movie of that story.” He grab my hand as we walked to the elevator. So this is what having his son is all about.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 34
  • Love 40
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

5 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

On his worse day Pete is 100 times more of a dad then Bobby's bio-dad could ever be

Bobby is conveying sub-consciously what he wants 

Edited by CLJobe
  • Like 5
Link to comment
9 hours ago, mfa607 said:

Awesome chapter!  Thank you.

You are welcome. I'm glad you are enjoying this story

  • Like 2
Link to comment
7 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, Bobbie is certainly getting into his heart 

I think their personality is a match. Pete is a square shooter and Bobby is an open book

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Sounds like Pete's family dynamics are a whole different story.  It will be interesting to see their interactions with and about Bobby and Pete's desire to become a father!!!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, KayDeeMac said:

Sounds like Pete's family dynamics are a whole different story.  It will be interesting to see their interactions with and about Bobby and Pete's desire to become a father!!!

You are right, Pete's family is quite different, we shall find out more about his family and why Pete has a good heart. Stay tuned, binge reader 

Thanks for reading and commenting

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Excellent chapter! I was a bit concerned with Pete going to work and leaving Bobby home alone. He fortunately let Andy the doorman know that Bobby would be alone. Once he finished for the day he’s concerned when he doesn’t find Bobby right away, he found him asleep in Petes bed saying that he missed him. Pete decides to bring Bobby to work with him rather than leave him alone at home. Since Pete is the owner no one will argue if he brings his son to work with him. I am glad of this decision since a 9 year old boy no matter how mature is just too young to be left home alone. I’m definitely looking forward to the next chapter! 😃❤️

  • Like 3
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, flesco said:

Excellent chapter! I was a bit concerned with Pete going to work and leaving Bobby home alone. He fortunately let Andy the doorman know that Bobby would be alone. Once he finished for the day he’s concerned when he doesn’t find Bobby right away, he found him asleep in Petes bed saying that he missed him. Pete decides to bring Bobby to work with him rather than leave him alone at home. Since Pete is the owner no one will argue if he brings his son to work with him. I am glad of this decision since a 9 year old boy no matter how mature is just too young to be left home alone. I’m definitely looking forward to the next chapter! 😃❤️

Great, I think Pete realized that as well. I'm sure he was uncomfortable until he got home.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

As an ex-Librarian, I love when people love reading. Especially sci-fi/fantasy, like Bobby seems to.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Buz said:

As an ex-Librarian, I love when people love reading. Especially sci-fi/fantasy, like Bobby seems to.

Bobby likes to read, that is a sign of a smart child, in my book, anyway 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..