Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 2,706 Words
  • 3,073 Views
  • 24 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Box of Crackers - 8. Chapter 8

I loaded everyone with bags of Butch’s clothing and told them to take them to the laundry room. For the rest of the evening, I rinsed and dried Butch’s clothes. Bobby had made room for them, so as they were dried and folded, they were taken to the boy’s room. I’m thinking I might need turn my office into another bedroom. “Bobby, you mind sharing your room with Butch? I could always turn my office into another bedroom.”

“No Dad, I like sharing our room.”

“Ok just remember if you ever want privacy, I can do it.”

Actually, I liked the idea of the boys sharing the room. I could swap out the one bed for two

single beds. “Jimmy, does your dad need a double bed?”

“Why?”

“Well, I was thinking of putting two single beds in Bobby’s room. It might be better if each one knows that they have their own bed and don’t need to share.”

“I don’t think Dad needs a double bed, but one of my brothers might, I’ll ask. Dad said that if you want that table, you need to arrange to pick it up.”

“I’ll need a truck for that.”

“If my brother wants the bed, then he can bring the table when he picks up the bed.”

“Dinner is ready.” He didn’t yell that or say it loud, he just said it to me in a normal voice. How did the boys hear it? Dinner was good, Jimmy is an excellent cook. “Jimmy, being that you are here making dinner, why don’t you give me a shopping list and the boys and I can go and do the shopping.”

“There’s no need to do that, when I order for the restaurant, I’ll add some for us and then you can pay dad for the food.”

“I’ll only do that if you are honest with me as to my share of the costs, no subsidizing.”

“Ok I can do that. I’ll order for us separately, how’s that.”

“That would be great.”

I caught the ‘us’ but I wasn’t the only one. Bobby started to chuckle, Butch looked confused. “Why are you chuckling?”

“I’ll tell you later” I stared at Bobby, he knew I knew why he was chuckling. He just gave me an innocent smile back.

After the kitchen was clean, we went to watch some TV, the boys went downstairs to play their games. Jimmy sat close to me and I put my arm around him and pulled him closer. This was nice and I felt very comfortable holding Jimmy. He turned and gave me a kiss on my cheek. “I should be getting home.”

“You could stay the night.”

He looked at me, “I don’t have work clothes here.”

“Call your dad and tell him to bring some to the restaurant.” Jimmy looked at me not knowing what he should do.

“I’ll go home tonight and bring several sets with me, I’ll stay tomorrow night. How’s that?”

“That depends on what kind of kisses I get tonight.” He sat on my lap, took my head in his hands and looking deep into my eyes, he pressed his lips to mine. I felt his tongue on my lips and slowly open my mouth just enough for him to slip his tongue in.

“I think that’ll hold you until tomorrow.”

“But will it hold you?” Saying that I became the aggressor and it was my tongue forcing his lips open. We looked at each other, he pulled me up from the couch and I walked him to the door. I needed a shower. After my shower, I rapped on the bedroom door, “good night boys”

 

I enrolled Butch in the same school as Bobby. I felt better knowing that they would be walking to school together. “Bobby, after school today why don’t you and Butch walk to my office and then we can walk home together.”

Bobby was all for the idea. I’m not sure if Butch was as excited as Bobby. Mrs. Marlow ask about Bobby. I told her he’ll be coming here after school.

I called Dave and we discussed one of our clients. In the course of our conversation, he said his sister has taken a turn for the worse. I didn’t know too much about his sister except she was quite a bit older than Dave. From what Dave told me, he was the surprise that led to his father’s vasectomy. I told him to call me if he needed anything. I told Mrs. Marlow about Dave’s sister and she said she’d offer prayers for her.

I skipped lunch, I didn’t need the calories, Jimmy’s cooking was beginning to have an effect I didn’t want. I heard voices and when I checked the time, I knew it was Bobby and Butch. I did hear Bobby tell Mrs. Marlow that Butch was his brother. I wasn’t sure what I got myself into when I adopted Bobby. He has orchestrated a boyfriend and now another son.“Hi Dad.”

“Hi boys, how was school?”

“We had a math test today but I think I did ok.”

“How about you Butch? This was your first day at the new school.”

“I took several placement tests, I was placed at the same grade level I was at my other school. I think I’m going to like this school better. The classes are smaller and the work is more challenging”

“Are you ready to walk home?” Both boys nodded. I packed my briefcase with some draft repots I wanted to read. I locked the office, the boys, Mrs. Marlow and I headed for the elevator. We said goodbye to Mrs. Marlow and headed home. As we passed Luigi’s, “Dad can we stop for a hot chocolate?” I knew that he wanted to see Jimmy. He didn’t know that Jimmy had brought uniforms so he could stay the night. As soon as we entered, Bobby took off with Butch following to find Jimmy.

“Hello Luigi, it seems that my boys don’t like my hot chocolate so we had to stop.”

“Yes, I think Bobby has stopped here after school a lot for the hot chocolate.”

Then it dawned on me, that’s why Bobby was so sure about Jimmy. He has been stopping here after school and having a hot chocolate. “Luigi, has he paid you for the hot chocolate?”

“No, Jimmy buys it for him. It’s not a big deal. He and Jimmy are getting pretty close. You know Jimmy is not like my other two sons.”

“I know Jimmy has a good heart, he’s polite, an excellent cook and has become a good friend. Why isn’t he not like your other sons, I find no fault in him?”

“Jimmy is very special. He’s his mother’s child, not macho like his brothers.”

“I think he has a good heart. He feels things that a macho person wouldn’t, unless someone told them. You should be just as proud of him as your other sons.”

“Don’t get me wrong, I love him, and between you and me, maybe a little more then my other sons. Jimmy is the only one who stayed with me in the restaurant. The others went to college, got their degrees and left the business. They are doing ok, one is a dentist and the other is the general manager of a large construction company. But Jimmy, the restaurant business is in his blood.”

“Dad, I owe Jimmy five dollars for the hot chocolate.” I gave Bobby the money and saw Billy and Al having a drink at another table. I walked over and we began to chat.

Soon I heard “Hi Uncle Billy, Uncle Al this is my brother Butch.”

I started to laugh, Billy and Al looked at me as if I was some crazy guy. “You adopted another child?”

“No, not yet, anyway Butch’s mother is in the hospital. He’s staying with us until she’s discharged from the hospital. As soon as they finish their drinks, will be heading there.”

Hearing that they tilted their cups, “We’re done, let’s go.”

I waved to Jimmy, he came over. “We’re going to the hospital. Here’s the key to the apartment in case we’re not back before you finish here.”

I noticed Bobby watching us and then when I looked at him he was smiling. Nothing gets pass him.

The drive to the hospital was very quiet. Butch was worried, Bobby was holding his hand.

Parking, entering the hospital, we took the elevator to the ICC floor. “Butch, why don’t you go and see your mother while I talk to the nurse.”

He and Bobby went to his mother’s room. I asked the nurse how she’s doing. The nurse said she sleeps a lot and she isn’t doing well. There's nothing more the doctors can do. “We try to keep her calm. After you left the other day, she seemed as if a great worry had been lifted. Personally, she probably won’t last much longer. All we can do is pray, she’s in God’s hands now.”

I walked into the room, Butch was holding his mother’s hand. He put his ear to her lips as she was talking to him. There were tears in his eyes, I figured she was saying good bye. He sobbed and gave her a hug. She closed her eyes and smiled at him. The nurse came in and told us we should leave, she needs her rest. We could come back in the morning.

I put my arms around Butch’s shoulder, he didn’t want to leave. “Butch, I know you’d like to stay here, your mother is very weak and needs her rest. I’ll bring you back in the morning.”

He sobbed in my arms, Bobby was holding his hand. Slowly we walked to the elevators taking us to the lobby. I felt sorry for Butch. He was a nice kid, his mother had done what was necessary for him to have a home. The guy who rented the apartment was a scum bag in my mind. He took advantage of a poor woman and then tried to take advantage of a kid. I knew I had to do something to correct that situation. I was sure that Butch’s mother being in that hospital was somehow directly or indirectly caused by that guy. When we got home, Jimmy was there, I could smell dinner. Bobby ran upstairs to see Jimmy, I took Butch and led him to my office.

“Butch, your mother is very sick but I don’t want you to worry about anything. Your mother signed a paper that listed me as your guardian, that means you’ll be staying here and if anything happens to your mom, I’ll adopt you. You’ll be my son just like Bobby. Now we must pray for your mom, let’s put her in God’s hands.” I pulled him so he was sitting on my lap, I closed my eyes and offer a prayer. When I said amen, Butch pushed his face into my chest and cried, I could feel his body shaking with his sobs. How do you comfort a thirteen year old child? I was out of my league, all I could do was to hold him close and gently rock him in my chair.

After about ten minutes, he calmed down. “I think my mother is going to be in heaven soon. She told me she had to leave but she would look out for me from above. She said she would send an angel to look after me. I don’t want her to leave me, I love her.”

My heart ached for this child. There were tears in my eyes. This world is so cruel and it’s always the young that suffer. I felt totally helpless. All I could do was to hold him and try and share his pain.

Bobby came down and said dinner was ready. He saw the tears, took Butch’s hand. “Let’s go and get something to eat.”

“I’m not hungry.”

“I know you don’t feel like eating but you can’t get sick now. Your mom needs you to be strong. Just eat a little bit.”

He slowly got off my lap and let Bobby guide him upstairs. Jimmy had prepared a chicken soup which was rich in vegetables and noodles. I could never buy can soup again after tasting his soup. Butch sat on my lap as he ate. He didn’t eat much but he did eat.

After dinner, Jimmy and Bobby cleared the table and kitchen. I took Butch to the living room and pulled him on my lap. He buried himself into my shoulder and I wrapped my arms around him. I could tell he was exhausted. When you have a heavy heart, it’s somewhat comforting to be held knowing that you’re being held by someone who’s sharing their love with you. We sat there for quite a while. Bobby joined us on one side and Jimmy sat on the other side. If anyone was locked in a cocoon of love, it was Butch.

“Dad, I think he has fallen asleep.”

“Go downstairs and get your bed ready, I’ll carry him down.” When I arrived at their bedroom, Bobby had the covers turned down and was changing into his pajamas. “I think we’ll just take off his shoes and socks, he can sleep in his clothes.”

Putting Butch to bed convinced me that if his mother did leave us, he’d be my child as well as Bobby. I tucked the kids in, Bobby said his prayers, I kissed his forehead, “I’ll look after him.”

There is an unspoken brotherhood among people who have shared a tragedy in their life, Bobby being tossed into bitter cold, Butch being tossed out of his home and now his mother. If anything, I think this will bring Bobby and Butch even closer.

“Pete, what’s going to happen?”

“Jimmy, I don’t know. The report at the hospital wasn’t good. His mother is totally exhausted and I suspect she’ll be with God soon. The nurse said she’s in God’s hands now. Tell me what you know about the guy who owned their house.”

“I don’t know much. He owns several places over there, he charges high rents and those that can’t pay he makes them pay in other ways. In a way, Butch was lucky he got away. There are stories that he runs a brothel which can supply girls, boys and women.”

“I’m going to make it my business to see that he gets caught and spends a lifetime in jail. I’m not sure how I’m going to do it, but I’m going to do it.”

Jimmy looked at me, his eyes seem to read my mind, “I’ll help you.”

The kiss that followed was softer and not as intense as the previous night. “Did you bring your clothes for work tomorrow?”

“Yes, I hung them in your closet.”

“I’ll make room for your things. I want you to move here.” I think I surprised myself when I said that. A quick flash of doubt flew through my mind and then I knew it was the right thing to say.

We sat and cuddled for a while, “I’ll be right back.”

I sent an email to Fred and asked him who did his investigations. That night, Jimmy and I took a shower together. What surprised me, it wasn’t sexual, we washed each other almost reverently.

Laying in bed together, Jimmy snuggled into my shoulder, I could smell the shampoo in his hair. “You know the alarm goes off at six and after the emotional day we had, I think we should go to sleep.”

“That’s ok as long as I can snuggle like this.”

I looked into his eyes as he looked at me. It was more than all right. I slowly tipped his head and kissed his lips. He responded as I knew he would, I could feel it against my leg. He had a smile on his face as his hand moved over my chest and stomach, not with any sexual aggression but just smoothly like he was smoothing out a wrinkle. With a contented smile, I did fall asleep.

I have tears when ever I read this chapter. I'll bet you will also
Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 37
  • Love 24
  • Fingers Crossed 1
  • Sad 15
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

3 minutes ago, James B. said:

 Really dislike people that mistreat and abuse children. I don't understand why people have children when they don't have an unconditional love.

What is really bad, is when children are abused by people who are not related to them but hold something over the head of their parents that allow them to get away with it..

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Before I get to the emotional stuff.It was mentioned Butch is 13 this would be a very small mistake but I don't believe a13yo and a 10yo Bobby can go to the same school unless this is some kind of private school.I'm waiting for Pete to nail that bastard to the wall.What Butch is going through is bad enough but he will have the perfect situation being with Pete,Bobby and Jimmy but it makes me think of kids who lose their parents and have no where to go it breaks my heart.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, Netvoyager said:

Great story! I eagerly look forward to future chapters. Thank you.

You welcome. I'm glad you are enjoying my story.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
28 minutes ago, KayDeeMac said:

It is a great story - so much love in that household!!  My bet is on Pete nailing the scumbag slumlord!!!

He may need help. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Outstanding chapter! Butch is overwhelmed by his mother’s condition, loss of the family’s apartment, a new school, a new guardian and a new younger brother. In addition he was told goodbye by his mother who said she would watch over him. This is an awful lot of stress for a boy of 13. Pete, Jimmy and Bobby are doing everything that they can to offer love and support during this extremely traumatic time in his life. Jimmy being invited to move in, shows that Pete is committed to the relationship and wants to share this new found family life with him. Pete has already committed to adopting Butch if his mother doesn’t survive. Luigi, Fred, Billy and Al will all support them. I’m definitely looking forward to the next chapter! 😢❤️

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, flesco said:

Outstanding chapter! Butch is overwhelmed by his mother’s condition, loss of the family’s apartment, a new school, a new guardian and a new younger brother. In addition he was told goodbye by his mother who said she would watch over him. This is an awful lot of stress for a boy of 13. Pete, Jimmy and Bobby are doing everything that they can to offer love and support during this extremely traumatic time in his life. Jimmy being invited to move in, shows that Pete is committed to the relationship and wants to share this new found family life with him. Pete has already committed to adopting Butch if his mother doesn’t survive. Luigi, Fred, Billy and Al will all support them. I’m definitely looking forward to the next chapter! 😢❤️

Thanks, your summary was right on

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I am really glad Pete and Jimmy just snuggled when they went to bed.

Poor Butch. At least he got to say goodbye (which I know he will not appreciate right now) and he has lots of support.

Okay, I have my tissues handy. I am ready for the next chapter...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Buz said:

I am really glad Pete and Jimmy just snuggled when they went to bed.

Poor Butch. At least he got to say goodbye (which I know he will not appreciate right now) and he has lots of support.

Okay, I have my tissues handy. I am ready for the next chapter...

Bobby will be a great comfort for Butch.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

There is love, strength, compassion, and friendship to battle the negative and evil in this story - that's what I really love about it!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, pvtguy said:

There is love, strength, compassion, and friendship to battle the negative and evil in this story - that's what I really love about it!

I think there was a saying. "Love conquers all". But to know love you. must know hate, and that is sad, but true.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..