Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,556 Words
  • 3,571 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Box of Crackers - 10. Chapter 10

Word got out about our friend being arrested, several police officers resigned. Again, the newspaper was on top of it, identifying those officers who were involved in the sex traffic ring headed by our dead friend. The newspaper had a ball with that. It reached to pretty high places in the police force. People clamored for a thorough investigation, the mayor had to appoint a special task force and luck be holding, Fred was named to the task force.

For once, Butch felt his mother's agony had achieved justice. It was Bobby who told me that Mary had visited Butch when this was all over, she told him she can rest now. That weekend, we visited Mary's grave and planted a flower at the headstone.

     

I did get twin beds for the boys and Jimmy's brother brought the table when he took the original bed. The guys helped to pick out their beds. I found two small desks that could fit in the room as well. Everything was delivered at the same time, the boys pitched in, setting up their room.

I had one more shopping trip and that was to buy chairs for the dining room table. Jimmy had to come along to make sure they matched the style of the table.

With the boys and Jimmy, my partying days were curtailed drastically. Every time I saw the guys, they would tease me about be an old married guy. They meant it in fun, I think a few of them envied me.

I decided to contact my family, I hadn't talk to them since graduation. I was third in a family of four, I have an older brother and sister as well as a younger brother. My older brother wanted nothing to do with me when he found out I was gay. My parents were cold, but never said what my brother said. I thought of how I should contact them. I elected to tell my sister, she was the closest of my siblings.

I wasn't sure if she still lived in the same area or moved. I had an old telephone number so I gave it a try. The phone rang three times and I was about to hang up, when I heard ‘hello’. I asked for my sister, Evelyn. I waited a few moments and I heard ‘who is it’ ‘I don't know.’

“Hello”

“Is this Evie, this is Pete.” I didn't hear anything for a few seconds, I thought something happened.

“Pete, Pete, where are you and why has it taken you so long to call.”

“Evie, after Paul told me he didn't want anything to do with me, I thought maybe you all felt the same.”

“Pete, Paul was wrong, he was the only one who had a twitch up his ass. Where are you and how are you?”

I told her where I lived, what I was doing and I told her I had a partner and two children.

“Pete, you have got to come and see us. I want to see you and your family. Have you spoken to mom or dad?”

“No, you're the only one I called.”

“You have to come. I've got a big house and I know Don we'll be glad to see you.”

“The kids have a school break in three weeks. Maybe we can come down for a few days. Can you send me your address, I only have your phone number.”

That evening I told the kids and Jimmy that I had contacted my family. ‘We’ll make a trip to my sister’s house when school is out.”

Later that evening as Jimmy and I were in bed, “Are you excited about seeing your family?”

“That’s a yes no answer. My oldest brother disowned me when he found out I was gay. So I don't want to see him, but if he makes the first move, then I'll forgive him. My older sister and I have always gotten along, that’s Evie and that's where we’ll be staying. I have a younger brother, your age, Michael, I'm not sure if he’d be glad to see me or not. My mother and dad, I'm not sure. They weren’t happy I was gay but they didn't say they hated me as my older brother did. Oh, would you be able to take off for two weeks?”

“I’ll ask Dad, but first you have to love me.”

Loving Jimmy was an experienced in and of itself. He refused to you words like 'fuck' or 'blowjob', he said that they were crude and he was better than that. I remember the first time, he said, “I don't want you to fuck me, I want you to make love to me.” As weird as that may sound, I somehow knew what he meant. In a loving relationship the one giving has to feel the same love as the one receiving. For us, no top or bottom, it was a spontaneous action. Sometimes, I wanted to initiate the love and sometime I wanted Jimmy to initiate the love. But tonight, I was the one giving my love and he was the one receiving my love. In any relationship, the giving of oneself and the receiving of your partner is tantamount to a happy, enduring relationship. We had that.

The next three weeks seemed to really pass fast. As it got neared the time to leave, the kids got more excited. I had gone and bought luggage for them to pack. “Pete, did you see what the kids packed?”

“No, why?”

“They pack books, games and laptops. There's hardly any room for clothes.”

“I’ll rearrange their packing. Since we’re driving, they can take some of that along without packing it in their luggage.”

The night before we were to leave, we decided to have dinner at Luigi’s. I think that this was the first time Jimmy has ever left home, without his family. Luigi came and sat down at our table, Bobby and Butch gave their grand-dad a hug. We talked about the trip and how long it would take us to drive there. It was a nice family dinner. The gang came over and wished us a good trip.

I was up at six in the morning as usual and I was really surprised to see two boys at the table eating cereal. “You guys anxious to get going? Did you take a shower?”

Two heads nodded yes twice. I went to take my shower, as I was finishing Jimmy joined me. We chatted for a minute, “Better hurry up, don’t want the kids to tease us about taking long showers.”

I was getting dressed when Jimmy came into our room. “I’m a little nervous meeting your folks.”

“Don’t be, if they don’t like you, it’s their loss, not yours. I like you, in fact, I love you.” I grabbed him and gave him a big kiss. I heard Bobby, ‘they are at it again’. I went into the kitchen and got a cup of coffee. “Jimmy, have you had any coffee yet?”

“No” I made some toast, sat at the table with my toast and coffee waiting for Jimmy to get dressed and have his coffee.

The boys were anxious, we packed the car last night so there wasn’t much for them to do. “Guys, go to the bathroom so we won’t have to stop for a while.” One went down to the big bathroom, the other headed to the half bath.

At last we were on our way. The roads were clear and traffic was light. I figured it’d take about fourteen to sixteen hours of driving to get to my sister's house. We decided that we'd travel ten hours the first day and then six hours the second day. When I laid out our travel plan, I didn’t take into account the Interstate highway system. After the first four hours of driving, I recalculated our time and realized that I overstated the travel time by two hours.

We stopped for lunch and doing that stop, I called and reserved a hotel room with two double beds for one night. Four hours after lunch, I arrived at our hotel. “Pete, there’s a steak house just beyond our hotel. Let’s stop there for dinner.”

The food was very good, the boys said the desert was the best. After dinner, we arrived at the hotel. There was one thing I didn’t take into account, two gay men traveling with two kids. At first they wouldn’t let us check in until the kids showed their school ID’s and I showed my driver’s license. “We’re a family and if you even hint at something disgusting, I’ll file a lawsuit before the night is out.”

The manager came out from the back room and wanted to know what was the problem. The desk clerk tried to explain. “Ronnie, did you look at the ID’s. This is a family, times are changing Ronnie. I’m sorry sir here’s your key.”

“Thank you.”

The room was very nice, the boys took a shower and got ready for bed, Jimmy and I followed. Being in a car for eight hours makes you tired. It isn’t the driving as much as sitting and making sure you are paying attention to where you’re driving.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 40
  • Love 29
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

2 hours ago, CLJobe said:

I bet you can imagine what will happen. Do you think his older brother will show up? Will there be peace in Pete's family?

People can change. Hopefully his brother and parents love and have missed him enough to make mending their relationship a priority. 

  • Like 4
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

out of meeting the family I'm more curious of the younger brother then the older brother.I see signs in restaurant that say "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone"would that also apply to hotels.I would have to believe what that desk clerk did was illegal.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
51 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Great chapter. Road trip almost done. Then they meet the family.

I wonder how the family is going to react, well truth be known, I already know. But, it isn't as you would expect. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
48 minutes ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Glad Mary visited Butch in his dreams to let him know she's 'at rest' now that justice was served.  

Family's bonded well and time to meet Pete's family and hopefully Bobby and Butch's other grandparents. Sad the first night of road trip marred by hotel bigot (just zealous?) desk clerk. Hope it's not an omen of things to come.

I think for Jimmy and the boys, they are a little  uptight thinking about how they will be received. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

out of meeting the family I'm more curious of the younger brother then the older brother.I see signs in restaurant that say "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone"would that also apply to hotels.I would have to believe what that desk clerk did was illegal.

I think you are right, but I'm glad the manager stepped in. There are still bigots in this world no matter if the law protects LBGT people.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Road trip! I spent all day saturday watching every Vacation movie so Lindsay Buckinghams 'Holiday Road' has been playing in my head this whole chapter!

Edited by Wesley8890
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
11 minutes ago, Wesley8890 said:

Road trip! I spent all day saturday watching every Vacation movie so Lindsay Buckinghams 'Holiday Road' has been playing in my head this whole chapter!

😀 I don't think this is the same as the trip you watched. 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment

Outstanding chapter! I’m glad that there’s an investigation into the police officers involved with the sex offender, I really hope that they are convicted and incarcerated for a really long time. It’s very nice that when Pete reached out to his sister that she was supportive and invited the family to visit. She clearly told him that his older was wrong. Road trips are always exhausting and you can never be sure what kind of reaction you’re going to get when staying in hotels/motels. Bigotry is very much alive and quite prevalent. Typically the more expensive the hotel/motel the more likely you will encounter bigotry. It’s very sad, but is still happening every day. The reunion between Pete and his sister will be inspiring I believe. I’m definitely looking forward to the next chapter! 😃❤️

  • Like 3
Link to comment

If I read it right, gotta admit, am disappointed that Pete took his Brother's and auto expected his other siblings to feel the same. That he didn't reach out/give them the chance to show who they are.

Well, no-one is perfect n'est pas.

Have they had a big get together/intro with Jimmy's Family or is that something to look forward to?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Buz said:

If I read it right, gotta admit, am disappointed that Pete took his Brother's and auto expected his other siblings to feel the same. That he didn't reach out/give them the chance to show who they are.

Well, no-one is perfect n'est pas.

Have they had a big get together/intro with Jimmy's Family or is that something to look forward to?

Pete did reach out, i.e. Christmas card, no return. Jimmy's family, except for his dad, is not mentioned in. Again his dad didn't want to much information about Jimmy's family

  • Like 3
Link to comment
7 hours ago, flesco said:

Outstanding chapter! I’m glad that there’s an investigation into the police officers involved with the sex offender, I really hope that they are convicted and incarcerated for a really long time. It’s very nice that when Pete reached out to his sister that she was supportive and invited the family to visit. She clearly told him that his older was wrong. Road trips are always exhausting and you can never be sure what kind of reaction you’re going to get when staying in hotels/motels. Bigotry is very much alive and quite prevalent. Typically the more expensive the hotel/motel the more likely you will encounter bigotry. It’s very sad, but is still happening every day. The reunion between Pete and his sister will be inspiring I believe. I’m definitely looking forward to the next chapter! 😃❤️

Yes bigotry is alive even with some of the inroads that have been made, we are not home free yet. His sister is an open and loving woman as well as her family. I think his brother Paul has too much influence in that family 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

We'll all see the reactions of the family.  I'm also hoping the younger brother is tolerant and accepting - leaving the older brother and father on the outside!!   Great story!  Thanks cljobe.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
29 minutes ago, KayDeeMac said:

We'll all see the reactions of the family.  I'm also hoping the younger brother is tolerant and accepting - leaving the older brother and father on the outside!!   Great story!  Thanks cljobe.

You're welcome and thanks for commenting. The younger brother, Michael, is very forgiving. He is (was) very close to Pete. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..