Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,272 Words
  • 2,092 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Apple Tree - 17. Chapter 17

It was several weeks later that Anna stopped at the store on the pretense she ran out of coffee. When checking out, she gave me the tape. "Does he know?" She shook her head no.

That evening in bed after playing our version of POW, "You know if people knew how we played POW, they might want to be captured. We should change the initials to POL."

"POL? What does that stand for?"

"Prisoners of Love, POL. At least that's what I am, a POL."

"I like that but if you are a POL, what am I?"

"You're the one who has captured my heart." It never fails, when I start talking like that, Tony tears up. But the good thing is what happens next. The emotions I feel when we make love has never changed. And I know Tony feels the same way.

I drove Tony to work and then I went to have copies of the tape made. While I was in the store, "Do you mind if I try something?"

"As long as you don't destroy the tape, ok."

"I'll make a copy as insurance. I want to see if I can eliminate some of the background noise."

I watched as he placed the tape in a scanner that showed sound waves on the screen. The technician showed me a wave pattern that was stronger than the others. "This is what we want to copy; hopefully we'll have a clear sound."

When he was finished scanning, he recorded a tape from the scanner. When he played the tape, I was amazed at the clarity of the sound. "What do you think?"

"It's great; I didn't know you could do that. I think he'll be surprised to hear it."

"Do you know the singer?"

"Yes, he's my boyfriend."

"I think rather than a tape, why you don't consider putting it on a disc. If you are going to do what I think you are, discs are better."

"Ok let's make 24 discs, and I guess I'll need a disc player if I want to play it.

I left the store 2 hours later, with the discs and a disc player. We agreed that he would keep one disc in case I needed more. I couldn't wait to play the disc.

Over the following two weeks, I mailed a disc to all the radio stations within a 50-mile radius.

One morning as we were driving to work, I had the radio tuned to a music station. "Jim, listen to that song. That singer sounds like me."

I didn't say anything, when the song ended, the announcer commented on the song. "Folks, this was recorded by a young man who I predict will make it big. Just remember you heard it here on KCKA."

Tony looked at me, "That was me, right? How did they get a recording of me singing?"

"I guess someone must have recorded you singing either at Anna's or one of your gigs. Did you hear what the DJ said; he predicted you'd make it big."

"That's only one DJ. For all you know, it could be just BS radio talk."

"If I could prove to you that you could make it singing, would you do it?"

"Maybe, I might consider it."

I now knew what I was going to do to prove to Tony that he could make a career out of singing.

I took 10 of the remaining 14 discs with me to Anna's café. "Anna, here are discs I made of Tony singing. I want you to sell them for 9.98; you keep 2 dollars as a commission. I'm going to prove that people are willing to pay to hear him sing."

Leaving the café I went to the store to begin my shift. We weren't that busy so I had time to help Tony on the floor. I guess I was overplaying my hand, "Jim, why are you looking at me and smiling like that? Are you hiding something from me?"

"No, I just like looking at you. I love you so much, you always bring a smile to my face and you are, as they say, easy on the eyes." I was hoping he bought that. He just smiled back so I think he did.

When I dropped Tony off at the store Monday morning, I went to the café to check on the sales of the discs. Walking into the café, Anna had a big smile, grabbed my arm, and led me to the cash register.

"I sold all of the discs and I think I could have sold 20 more. A lot of people said they heard Tony on the radio. I mentioned that I had a disc of him singing, they wanted to know where I got it so they could buy it as well. When I told them I had a few, they had their money in their hand. I sold all 10 in two days. I told the rest they were on backorder. Jim, I need 30 more to cover the back order and at least 20 for inventory. I'll pay you as soon as you deliver them."

"Anna that's terrific. Let me see if I can take care of your order." I left the café and headed to the electronic store to see how soon I could get 50 copies of Tony's disc.

When I arrived at the store, the technician who helped me smiled, "I knew you'd be back. I played the disc for a customer who was buying a disc player. He wanted to know who was singing and if we sold the disc. While we were talking, about 5 other people stopped and listened to the disc."

"That's great news, now I need 50 more copies."

"I figured you would be back so I made another 20. If you come back tonight before closing, I can have another 30 for you."

Tony is going to be so surprised, I did a quick calculation, with the 20 sold and the 50, Tony would earn close to 400 dollars. Heading for the store, I dropped off the 20 at the café. When I entered the store it was obvious Tony was waiting for me. "What are you up to? Two people came into the store and asked me to sign their discs. Where did those discs come from?"

"Tony, you know I always have your best interest at heart. I love you and you're worth more than being a stock boy. I had 20 discs made from one of your tapes. I sent 6 to the radio stations and I gave Anna 10 to sell. Tomorrow I'm giving Anna 50 more, 30 to cover backorders, and 20 for inventory. Tony people love your singing, you have to sing."

Tony looked at with tears in his eyes, "OK you have proven your point, 10 sold and 50 more."

"That's just the beginning. I think you better talk with Mr. Thomas."

"But shouldn't I wait till we're more definite?"

"OK, let's give it a month, then if everything continues on track, you can give Mr. Thomas noticed so he can hire your replacement and you can train him."

It seemed Tony was agreeable to that but I felt that Tony still had some doubts, but I didn't. That night I proved to Tony that I loved him as he proved it to me. Our private life provided the confirmation and knowledge that the expression of our love was true and would last. Each time we made love, our emotions soared, recommitting our vows to each other.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 29
  • Love 16
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

So it's just Tony and his guitar.When I think of that the first person that comes to mind is a James Taylor type am I close?I may be missing someone else obvious.If the right person hears him he could get musicians hired and a studio to work in .

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Hope Jim is a good agent, the music industry is known for cheating new artists, keep the copy rights to your songs both as as singe and a writer, after all...look what happened to Taylor Swift when her music catalogue was sold right out from under her, not giving her a chance to buy the rights to her own music...

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Great chapter, so the eagle gets ready to fly , I hope that they keep grounded , the music can really take off and open new opportunities

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Loved the chapter... Love music, so can I order three discs, then you can tell him he's gotten across the pond. Look after these boys... I love them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
10 hours ago, weinerdog said:

So it's just Tony and his guitar.When I think of that the first person that comes to mind is a James Taylor type am I close?I may be missing someone else obvious.If the right person hears him he could get musicians hired and a studio to work in .

Have you read this story before or one like it.  Tony wants to finish his college. Jim wants Tony to be rewarded for his talent.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
9 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Hope Jim is a good agent, the music industry is known for cheating new artists, keep the copy rights to your songs both as as singe and a writer, after all...look what happened to Taylor Swift when her music catalogue was sold right out from under her, not giving her a chance to buy the rights to her own music...

Jim will do everything he can to prevent anyone taking advantage of Tony.  Interesting  time ahead

  • Like 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, so the eagle gets ready to fly , I hope that they keep grounded , the music can really take off and open new opportunities

It will be up to Jim to keep them grounded. Tony is still in an unbelievable state but will follow Jim's directions

  • Like 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Kev said:

Loved the chapter... Love music, so can I order three discs, then you can tell him he's gotten across the pond. Look after these boys... I love them.

I will pass your note on to Jim, will demo discs do?

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..