Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,340 Words
  • 2,815 Views
  • 28 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Apple Tree - 2. Chapter 2

Monday morning I headed into the nearest town where I worked in the local supermarket. I started by bagging and stocking shelves and now I’m a cashier. My grandparents think I progressed fast, but I worked hard. My boss liked the fact that I didn't need someone to tell me what to do. My dad always said hard work will pay off and I guess he was right.

When I arrived at the store, Mr. Thomas, my boss introduced me to the new boy and asked that I show him what had to be done. I introduced myself and began to show him where the stock was kept, how to rotate the stock, and the importance of making sure the area was clean. "If you have any questions, let me know. On weekends, you’ll need to help me at the cash register. Most of the locals shop on Friday evening and Saturday. I’ll need you to help bag the groceries and some of the shoppers will want you to help carry their bags to their cars."

Leaving him to do his job I watched as he restocked the shelves. I couldn't help to notice that he was a good-looking lad. The blond hair and blue eyes that sparkled seem to hide a mischievous personality that could provide a lot of fun.

At 1, Mr. Thomas told me to take my lunch break and he’d man the cash register as needed. "Take Tony with you. We don't look too busy so I won't need a packer"

"Tony, let's go to lunch. We’ve 45 minutes so I usually go to the cafe across the street. They’re cheap and quick" I said smiling.

"You go ahead. I think I’ll skip lunch."

“No, Mr. Thomas always pays for lunch the first day you work here. So I got it”

Reluctantly, Tony followed me to the diner. As we entered, Anna indicated to take any seat. I wanted to find out more about Tony so I selected a booth in the far corner. I looked at Tony, and something wasn't right. He was very nervous. "I don't know what to order.”

“How about I order for both of us?" He seemed agreeable, so I ordered a milkshake, a 1/2 lb cheeseburger, and a large order of fries. When the food came, Tony looked at the food like a hungry dog looks at a steak. "Dig right in, they have the best hamburgers in town." and he did. I was halfway done with mine and Tony was finished with his and half of the fries. The shake was consumed all at one time. I indicated to Anna to bring another shake for Tony.

Anna must have recognized that Tony was very hungry. "Jim, the cook read the order wrong, can either of you handle another burger. It's on the house".

"Sure we can after all we’re growing boys."

Anna brought the burger and sat it down in the middle of the table. I noticed Tony not taking his eyes off the burger. I was still eating mine, in a low voice, "Tony, if you think you could eat that go ahead. I'll be lucky to finish this and these fries." I pushed the burger over to Tony and took my plate of fries and added half to his.

Tony looked down at the table and I noticed his shoulders shaking a little. I lifted his head and he had tears in his eyes. "Tony, what's the matter?"

“This is the most food I’ve eaten in the past five days. I was attending the college over in Edgemont when my grandparents were in an accident. They both died. I’ve been staying with them since I was 10 years old. I had to quit college since I had no money to pay my tuition. I couldn't find a job in Edgemont so I started to travel east. When I landed here, I noticed a sign in the store's window offering a job as a stock boy. I spoke to Mr. Thomas and he hired me. Today was my first day."

"Where do you stay when you aren't at work?"

"I’m not sure where I’ll stay. Last night I slept in the woods. I think maybe I can rig some shelter there. I don't know if that’ll work or not.”

Sometimes I believe in angels and this is just the time. "Look Tony, how about you stay with me till you get sorted out. I don't have much, it’s a shack on my grandfather’s farm but you’re welcome to share it."

"Thanks, Jim. As soon as I get paid I’ll start looking for my place.”

“We need to get back or Mr. Thomas will think we aren't coming back." I paid Anna for the lunch and included enough money to cover the extra hamburger. "Thanks, Anna, you have a good heart.”

Returning to the store, Tony thanked Mr. Thomas for the lunch. Mr. Thomas looked at me as to say ‘what was that all about. I just smiled as I watched Tony put on his apron and go back to work. Stepping up to the cash register, knowing Mr. Thomas was going to ask me what that was all about, I took the initiative. "Tony had no money for lunch so I told him you always paid for lunch the first day. I thought if I offered he’d refuse, so I said what I did."

Mr. Thomas patted me on the back and went to his office.

We closed the store at 9. "Have you ever ridden a motorcycle before?"

“No, But I always wanted to ride one, why?"

The words were no sooner out of his mouth when he saw my motorcycle. I chuckled as he became aware that was going to be his ride. I took it slow and soon I pulled in front of my shack. He chuckled when he saw the sign I put next to the door, 'be it ever so humble, this is my shack.”

“When I entered, I was surprised to see grandfather there. "Hi, Grandfather. I didn't expect to see you here."

“Well. I thought you might need the cot. The bed is too small for two." I must have looked perplexed. Laughing, "Mr. Thomas called. He told us to be prepared for a guest. I think he may have seen you with this young man leaving."

"Oh, Grandfather, excuse me, this is Tony and he started to work at the store today. Until he finds his own place, I thought he could stay here."

"That's what your grandmother and I figured. When you get cleaned up, come on down. Supper will be ready in 20 minutes so hurry."

“And we did a quick wash, then a walk to grandmother's kitchen. You could smell the rich aroma of chicken and dumplings as we entered. Grandmother welcomed Tony and winked at me. I blushed and thankfully Tony didn't see it. Dinner was great as usual. My grandmother was a great cook and her apple pie was the best. I couldn't believe the amount of food Tony ate. He couldn't stop telling my grandmother that was the best chicken and dumplings he had ever eaten. I was glad because I got to take the left over’s home.

When we got back to the shack, Tony helped me make up the cot. I told him as a guest he could sleep in the bed and I’d sleep on the cot. He wouldn't hear of it. "That cot will seem like heaven compared to sleeping on the ground in the woods."

It was late and work tomorrow, "We should go to bed. We’ll need to be up early for work.”

“I stripped to my boxers and noticed Tony was a little hesitant. So I got in bed and turned my back to him until I heard the cot squeak when he got in. I then turned and turned off the light. "Good night, Tony" no sound, when I looked over he was sound asleep.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 39
  • Love 16
  • Sad 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Great chapter, if there aren't any chickens on the farm...how bout a goat or two...or more!!!😉

baby day GIF

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment

This place definitely it has a small town feel to it with Anna bringing a extra hamburger and Mr. Thomas calling the grandparents to br prepared for a guest Jim must be very well liked in town.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

Great chapter, if there aren't any chickens on the farm...how bout a goat or two...or more!!!😉

baby day GIF

Those must be kids pajamas:gikkle:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
24 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

Great chapter, if there aren't any chickens on the farm...how bout a goat or two...or more!!!😉

baby day GIF

There are a couple of young chickens on this farm and two old goats;.  How did you miss that

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
23 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

This place definitely it has a small town feel to it with Anna bringing a extra hamburger and Mr. Thomas calling the grandparents to br prepared for a guest Jim must be very well liked in town.

It is a small town with one grocery store, it's a farm town. I think it is interesting how you equate this town to a small town. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, Ajbt2001 said:

Awesome new story. 

Thank you, I hope you enjoy it over the next few weeks

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, CLJobe said:

There are a couple of young chickens on this farm and two old goats;.  How did you miss that

That may be but milking 'em may be more than bargained for!!!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
15 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

That may be but milking 'em may be more than bargained for!!!

The goats yes, they are all dried up.  However, have you ever milked a chicken? 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, chris191070 said:

Two lost souls who have found each other

yes and hopefully they will be happy

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Loving the story so far...:thankyou:

Shame though its getting late and only just been able to read it. Back at work and it is, so good to see all of my clients. It maybe only a charity store but many of them come in on a daily basis because it's the only contact that they have with anyone. My back aches, my shoes split and I had to buy new on the way home, but I'm out at last. Though we still have to get back to normal, it is good to be working again.

Not having worked for, so long I can understand how the guys feel about their jobs at the store. I maybe a numbers man, but I have always loved working in retail. Hell some of the old ladies come in just to flirt.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Kev said:

Loving the story so far...:thankyou:

Shame though its getting late and only just been able to read it. Back at work and it is, so good to see all of my clients. It maybe only a charity store but many of them come in on a daily basis because it's the only contact that they have with anyone. My back aches, my shoes split and I had to buy new on the way home, but I'm out at last. Though we still have to get back to normal, it is good to be working again.

Not having worked for, so long I can understand how the guys feel about their jobs at the store. I maybe a numbers man, but I have always loved working in retail. Hell some of the old ladies come in just to flirt.

As long as they buy. let them flirt.  Harmless fun. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Chris L said:

If only more in the world has such compassion. 

Yes, and sometimes when you do meet someone who shows that compassion, you have good feelings.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Side point: inelegant term for riding a motorcycle while hanging on behind the operator is known as 'riding bitch'. this term may not be used in mixed company, but it is quite common among moto riders.

Where I am currently living (in Brazil) here are a multitude of places about local towns where young men and their motorcycles wait, usually under a tent and with a telephone nearby, to be contacted by clients seeking a ride after shopping. They negotiate a price depending on the distance to go for the rider to 'ride bitch' on the cinquintina ('little fifty') a small, usually Chinese-made motorcycle. These are popular as no operator's licence is required. The only requirement of the law is that the operator must supply a helmet to his passenger (not too stringently enforced).

Link to comment
44 minutes ago, Will Hawkins said:

Side point: inelegant term for riding a motorcycle while hanging on behind the operator is known as 'riding bitch'. this term may not be used in mixed company, but it is quite common among moto riders.

Where I am currently living (in Brazil) here are a multitude of places about local towns where young men and their motorcycles wait, usually under a tent and with a telephone nearby, to be contacted by clients seeking a ride after shopping. They negotiate a price depending on the distance to go for the rider to 'ride bitch' on the cinquintina ('little fifty') a small, usually Chinese-made motorcycle. These are popular as no operator's licence is required. The only requirement of the law is that the operator must supply a helmet to his passenger (not too stringently enforced).

The tern riding bitch was develop by riders who had a girl riding with them, normally a gang of cyclers.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

True, but in a gay story can't 'riding bitch' mean the the person riding on the back is a boyfriend?

Mister Will

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..