Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,207 Words
  • 1,996 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Apple Tree - 15. Chapter 15

Jim had set the alarm for 5 am. When the alarm went off Jim had second thoughts about running in the morning. "Tony, are you sure you want to run in the morning?"

"The first day is always the hardest. If we don't start today we'll probably never start. We'll just take it easy for now."

Jim and Tony got up and realized they didn't have any running shoes or shorts. "Ok, let's wear our canvas shoes and boxer shorts. We can run through the orchard until we get running shoes and shorts." By the time they returned to the shack, they were ready to go back to bed.

"How far do you think we ran?"

"Not very far, let's take a shower."

Jim set the water temperature on the cool side. It felt good as the soap and water washed away the sweat. Tony was washing Jim's back again, "Come around and wash my feet and legs, I'm not sure I can bend over." Trading places, Tony got down washing Jim's lower legs and feet. He saw something that needed attention. Taking it into his mouth, Jim let out a small cry of surprise and then began a rocking motion feeding little Jim into Tony's mouth. "I'm going to shoot." Tony just held on to the back of Jim's leg till he had swallowed everything Jim had to offer. Jim just draped himself over Tony till he was able to stand up. Not to be outdone, Jim returned the favor. Two sated lovers exited the bathroom holding hands and a big smile. It seemed to Jim life couldn't get any better. Tony was thinking the same thing.

The boys got dressed, touching each other as much as possible; they were finally ready to leave for work. When they arrived at work, Mr. Thomas introduced them to Jane Miller. "Jim, I'm going to let Jane start this morning when we aren't so busy."

"That's great. I have some errands I can run and then I'll see you after lunch." Before leaving Jim gave Tony a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

Jim headed to the sports store. When he entered, he saw someone who shopped regularly at the store. Approaching him, "good morning; I wonder if you could help me. My partner and I want to start running. I know I need shoes, shorts, and socks."

"For shorts, we recommend these. They are loose in the legs which allows a full run without binding on the leg. It allows the leg to move freely. For the shoes, you need a shoe that can absorb the weight of your body when your foot hits the ground. Most people don't know it, but your instep and ankles can take a beating if you don't have the proper shoe. The other thing if your run is over 2 miles, you should replace your shoes every 6 weeks. The constant pressure will adversely affect the shoe's ability to absorb the shock. You can bring them in and we can measure the deterioration and let you know when they should be replaced. As for socks, you want pure cotton. They are the best for absorbing moisture. You'll need several pairs and you should never wear the same pair twice without washing. You wouldn't want your feet to become infected by dirty socks."

"Wow, that sounds like there's a lot to this running. Ok, let me have 4 pairs of running shorts waist size 31, two pairs of shoes, size 9."

"Is that the size you wear now?

"Yes, why?"

"With socks, I would recommend ½ sizes larger. The socks will take up the extra room."

"Ok, then 9 ½ plus 28 pairs of socks. We do laundry once a week at my grandparents."

The clerk put everything in a bag and added a magazine called, 'The ABC's of Running'. Jim was a little shocked at the cost but he knew it'd pay off. He charged it to his dad's credit card. Thanked the clerk and left.

Then he went to the clothing store and picked up the light blue jackets. With all of his shopping done, he went to the café to wait for Tony. Sitting in their usual booth, Anna brought him a milkshake and sat down to chat. "How's Tony doing?"

"He's doing great. Monday nights are just as good as Friday nights. I'm afraid he's going to ask for me to pay him."

"He's not going to ask you. We consider you a friend Anna, and if we can help you, we will. We haven't forgotten that extra burger, the first day he was here; you have a good heart.

Speaking of the devil, here he is. The usual?"

"Yes please."

"Hi, lover boy." Tony looked around the café to see if anyone heard him. I leaned over the table as if I was going to whisper in his ear and then kissed him on the cheek.

I saw the devil in his eyes and knew he was going to do something to get even. When Anna brought our lunch, he came and sat next to me. Anna asked if Tony needed anything else, he said yes. Then grabbed me and kissed me right on the lips. Anna clapped; Tony went back to his seat facing me, smiling.

Then he noticed the jacket. "That's a very nice jacket. When did you get it?"

"I picked it up this morning. It has my name on it so I had to buy it. When I was in the store I saw one with your name so I bought you one also." I handed Tony the package that was next to me. He took out the jacket, stood up to put it on. "You look sharp in that jacket. It matches your eyes."

Anna saw Tony modeling the jacket, "That's a nice jacket, Tony."

"Yes, it matches Jims."

'Oh Jim, I'm sorry I didn't even recognize that you had a new jacket on. Oh, it's the same as Tony's."

"The name is different." Anna nodded then left to wait on a customer that just entered.

"Tony, what do you say we buy Anna one with her name on it? You can be the blue minstrel."

"Yes, I liked that. Blue minstrel, I'll tell Anna and she can make a sign and put it in the window."

"No, I think we'll make the sign. Tomorrow, I'll take care of that as your agent. And speaking as your agent, give me the phone number of that woman who wanted you to play Sunday." Tony reached into his wallet and gave me the note she gave him. "Two questions, how long can you play without taking a break and how many songs do you have in your repertoire?"

"Well, here I play for 30 minutes then take a break. As for the number of songs I know, I can't begin to tell you."

"While you go back to work, I'll take care of this. You do want to do this right?"

"If you want me to do it I will."

When Tony got up to leave, I stood and kissed him. He looked at me as to say,' the war is on'.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 32
  • Love 15
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I don't understand what "the war is on" means.I guess the next chapter will explain that. We'll see how the cocktail party goes

 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I love Tony... I always sang in choirs but never had the courage to go it alone. Would have loved to have been able to develop my voice more. I my mind I have always been a world famous opera singer... Used to be in Am Dram and that was the closest I ever got to being on stage.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Awesome chapter, great to see them start running to keep fit , it is true the first time out is always the hardest , great progress, I wonder about this war

  • Like 1
Link to comment
11 hours ago, weinerdog said:

I don't understand what "the war is on" means.I guess the next chapter will explain that. We'll see how the cocktail party goes

 

 

 

When Tony got up he kissed him, as if it was a dare since it was in a more or less public place. Jim is telling Tony he will get a kiss in a public place as well. Sort of a game, what you did to me I'll do to you. That phrase is used in the US when a challenge was thought to =have been made.

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Kev said:

I love Tony... I always sang in choirs but never had the courage to go it alone. Would have loved to have been able to develop my voice more. I my mind I have always been a world famous opera singer... Used to be in Am Dram and that was the closest I ever got to being on stage.

You should still sing, for your pleasure, not for your dinner. I'm sure there is someone who would like to hear you sing, maybe privately 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
10 hours ago, drsawzall said:

I sense nothing but good things, way to go boys!!

I agree the rough spot is over, smooth sailing from now on. but where to sail to?

Link to comment
6 hours ago, mikedup said:

Awesome chapter, great to see them start running to keep fit , it is true the first time out is always the hardest , great progress, I wonder about this war

I think I shouldn't have used that phrase. Today war doesn't mean what war meant 30-40 years ago. It was a challenge then, in Tony and JNim's case giving the kiss in public was seen as a challenge, now Jim will find a place to gibe Tony a kiss in public and it goes on and on.  No winner but a loti of kisses and fun. Think of it as a challenge in relation to his kiss and then environment where the kiss was given .

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Bft

Posted (edited)

On 4/22/2021 at 11:50 AM, CLJobe said:

I think I shouldn't have used that phrase. Today war doesn't mean what war meant 30-40 years ago. It was a challenge then, in Tony and Jim’s case giving the kiss in public was seen as a challenge, now Jim will find a place to give Tony a kiss in public and it goes on and on.  No winner but a lot of kisses and fun. Think of it as a challenge in relation to his kiss and then environment where the kiss was given .

I only hope that some small minded bigot doesn’t cause a fuss about the boys kissing in public 

Edited by Bft
Link to comment
26 minutes ago, Bft said:

I only hope that some small minded bigot doesn’t cause a fuss about the boys kissing in public 

Do you think the boys would care?  They are so much in love and those who they consider friends and family, don't mind them showing their affection

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..