Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,055 Words
  • 2,418 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Apple Tree - 13. Chapter 13

"Take your guitar over to Anna's and I'll explain to Mr. Thomas."

As Jim enters the store, "Where's Tony? He isn't sick is he?"

"No sir he had to go to the bank. I'll fill in till he's back." Mr. Thomas shook his head as if to say ok.

About 9 Tony came back to the store. "Jim, I need you to sign this card and drop it off at the bank."

"What is it that I'm signing?"

"I put the bank account in both of our names. If something happens to me I want you to have the money."

"Nothing is going to happen."

"I know but I feel better knowing your name is on the account. We're partners, 50- 50."

"Ok, I'll see you at 4. I unloaded one of the trucks, you can do the other."

Jim signed the card and dropped it off at the bank. He took a look at the account and realized that the amount was greater than the check. When he asked the man at the desk, he told him that Tony has the interest from his trust deposited to this same account.

Jim stopped at his grandparents looking for his grandfather. "Where is grandfather, Grandmother?"

"I believe he's at the orchard."

Saying thanks, Jim went to find his grandfather. Seeing him in the orchard, "Grandfather, what are you doing?"

"I was checking out the electrical system. Tony asked about the lights and picking apples at night. I told him I'd check them out. This is the main control box and also the fuse box for the shack. So if your lights go out, this is where you'll need to check." Grandfather continued to show Jim how to set the breakers.

"Do they look ok or do we need to replace them?"

"No, they're fine. This case is weatherproof. Since they are copper wires, there's no corrosion. I'm not as sure about the lights. We may have to replace a few bulbs. We can try them out tonight. If you boys are up to it, we might start the farm up again. But you'll have to manage it, I'm too old, but I'll consult."

"Tony deposited the check in the bank this morning and put my name on the account. I'm not sure why. It's his money."

"It seems to me he trusts you a lot. He loves you; you can see it in his eyes whenever he looks at you. Reminds me of your grandmother and me when we were your age."

Jim just looked at his grandfather but his mind was on last night, yes, grandfather was right Tony does love me as much as I love him. Jim smiled.

"I don't know what you're thinking, but it must be good judging by the smile on your face."

Jim just hugged his grandfather and said one word, "Love"

Jim started to get ready for work. He had some shopping to do and wanted to get it done before work. Stopping at the farmhouse, he asked his grandparents if they needed anything from town. His grandmother gave him a grocery list plus some yarn she needed. She was ready to give him some money but Jim refused, saying that they ate there most of the time anyway.

In town, Jim stopped and picked up the yarn and then went to a clothing store. He picked out two light blue jackets and asked if they could stitch their names on them. They could but they wouldn't be ready until tomorrow evening. Jim paid for the jackets. He took his grocery list and went to the store and checked on Tony.

Taking a cart, I began to shop. I was in the aisle where Tony was working. He didn't see me, I sneaked up behind him, "Hey sexy, how about a date?" He jumped as I scared him. I started to laugh as he turned around. He got even; he grabbed me and kissed me. There were other customers in the aisle.

"That'll teach you to scare me." The other customers laughed, one young girl, probably 10 or 11, said 'boo' to Tony. He turned around, grabbed the girl, and kissed her on the cheek. She blushed and her mother laughed.

"I'm shopping for grandmother. I know some things we need, do you need anything? I was thinking of getting a beef roast for Sunday and maybe a ham steak. Grandmother can make ham and bean soup during the week. That's always good."

"I wish we had some evenings off. We could cook ourselves or just go to a movie, like a real date."

"That would be nice. If you're playing tonight, you could bring me dinner and serenade me while I eat."

Smiling I went to finish my shopping, checking out, then driving home. I stopped and gave grandmother her yarn and groceries plus the beef roast and the ham and beans. "Grandfather will love you for the roast. It's one of his favorite. They're generally too big for just the two of us but now there are the 6 of us that'll be just right."

"Six of us, who are the other two?"

"You and Tony"

Laughing, I took the remaining groceries to the shack. I grabbed a protein bar and headed back to work.

When I got to work, Mr. Thomas asked me what I thought about him hiring another cashier. It didn't take me long to think about it. "I think that's a good idea. I could have more time off that'll let me get grandfather's apple orchard working again."

"Are you planning on starting that up again?"

"Yes but on a smaller scale. Some of the trees are pretty old and I'm not sure what is harvestable from them. Who did you have in mind?"

"Before you started, Jane Miller was a cashier here. She left to start a family. I think her youngest is probably 10 or 11. Anyway, she stopped by asking if I was hiring. I told her I was thinking about another cashier. Since you don't have any problems with it I'll let her know. But I still need you for Friday and Saturday nights. I'll work out a schedule and let you see it."

"Thanks, Mr. Thomas."

Now if only we could get another stock boy.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 32
  • Love 17
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Sounds like the grocery store is getting covered, plans are in the works to start up the orchard and begin farming, and home improvement on the horizon. These boys are going to need to hire someone soon! LOL!!! 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
24 minutes ago, Chris L said:

Sounds like the grocery store is getting covered, plans are in the works to start up the orchard and begin farming, and home improvement on the horizon. These boys are going to need to hire someone soon! LOL!!! 

It'll take a while for the farm to be operational.  It has been left to go wild, branches will be needed to be trimmed, decayed wood removed. It will keep the boys busy.  Of course of you want to help I could send you the address LOL

  • Like 3
Link to comment

The gesture of Tony putting Jim on his bank account says a lot

Edited by weinerdog
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 minute ago, weinerdog said:

The gesture of Tony putting Jim on his band account says a lot

It does, imagine without any legal; bonds, just their personal commitment, Tony shows Jim his trust and love. A great gesture on Tony's part. No question about his love for Jim

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
22 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

The gesture of Tony putting Jim on his band account says a lot

It does say a lot about the love and commitment they share. When someone does something like that, it says a great deal about trust as well - the foundation of a relationship. 

Link to comment

Great chapter, a lot of love and trust awesome to restart the orchard, I am glad that some more help in the market

  • Like 1
Link to comment
44 minutes ago, Chris L said:

It does say a lot about the love and commitment they share. When someone does something like that, it says a great deal about trust as well - the foundation of a relationship. 

It also shows commitment 

Link to comment
17 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, a lot of love and trust awesome to restart the orchard, I am glad that some more help in the market

Yes, Fridays and Saturdays were killers for the boys.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Yes! Finally! Now get that new stock person in there and there will be some real relief for the guys.

It didn’t surprise me when Tony put Jim on the account.  When you are a couple, you share things.  When we got married, it was one of the first things we did—get the other as a signatory on our various accounts.

It was a cute reaction, but Tony needs to be careful.  Luckily, everyone knows him there.  But playfully grabbing and kissing that girl, even though her mother was there and  knew what happened, could have gone terribly wrong if the wrong person saw it.  Unfortunately, there are PLENTY of those idiots who want to see evil where there isn’t any.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
12 hours ago, Kev said:

I love these guys... don't happen to have any spare do you?

I'll check my closet and see what I have

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
11 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Great chapter, looking forward to see how the apple orchard turns out!

I think they will enjoy the apples if nothing more. I smell apple pie, or is that my lunch I smell 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
56 minutes ago, Clancy59 said:

Yes! Finally! Now get that new stock person in there and there will be some real relief for the guys.

It didn’t surprise me when Tony put Jim on the account.  When you are a couple, you share things.  When we got married, it was one of the first things we did—get the other as a signatory on our various accounts.

It was a cute reaction, but Tony needs to be careful.  Luckily, everyone knows him there.  But playfully grabbing and kissing that girl, even though her mother was there and  knew what happened, could have gone terribly wrong if the wrong person saw it.  Unfortunately, there are PLENTY of those idiots who want to see evil where there isn’t any.

You are right about those with evil minds. We read enough about those issues. I don't think the kiss would have happened if Tony didn't give Jim a kiss. It was one of those last minute things never to be repeated, by Jim or Tony

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..