Jump to content
  • Join For Free and Get Notified of New Chapters!

    Are you enjoying a great story and want to get an alert or email when a new chapter is posted? Join now for free and follow your favorite stories and authors!  You can even choose to get daily or weekly digest emails instead of getting flooded with an email for each story you follow. 

     

    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 596 Words
  • 1,477 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.

The Apple Tree - 22. Chapter 22

Our first big break came from London, a gentleman who booked acts into one of the prestigious music halls wanted to know if we would be interested in doing a concert. I wrote back indicating we would be interested, please send a contract for our review.

The contract arrived 2 weeks later. The terms were simple; we'd be guaranteed 5000 dollars plus expenses for a 2-hour show with a provision that we'd be paid 500 dollars for 15-minute intervals over the 2 hours. If there is a demand for a second concert, we'd be paid 6000 dollars with the same proviso, a third concert we'd be paid 10,000 and no provisos for overtime.

There was a note, for subsequent concerts in Great Britain; we would earn the money from the ticket sales, minus expenses incurred by the theater and a 20 percent commission based on ticket sales. He would handle the bookings, advertisement, ticket sales, and lodging.

Tony and I had a long discussion about the first proposal. "Tony you need to check with your band. How much would you pay the band, 40 percent of whatever you earn? How many are in your band?"

"I have a drummer, keyboard, bass guitar, and a bass fiddle."

"So if you get 5000 then you would need to split 2000 among the four which would be 500 apiece plus expenses for the first night. That would leave you with 3000. The overtime of 500, what did you have in mind for that?"

"Even split, 100 each. I'll have to sell them on the bigger picture."

"Check with them and then get back to me so I can answer this guy. Don't forget to mail these."

"There's a name for what this guy wants to do, what is it?"

"I think it's called an impresario. It comes from an Italian word meaning to impress. They normally do what this guy does."

Another week and the mail kept coming. I called a distributor telling them that I'm getting these letters from people in their city asking for this music disc. We agreed I'd send 400 on consignment and then we'll monitor sales. When I called a distributor in London, I mentioned that we're considering doing a concert there. The result was another 400 on consignment. Along with the sample disc, was a form asking them to sign which stated the selling price and proposed distribution costs as a percentage of the selling price.

Traveling with Tony on his US tour, I learned a lot about this business. I was seen as a love interest and not someone who would challenge their position. I took the opportunity to ask a lot of questions, I noted the answered in a notebook I always kept with me.

"I mailed those mailers; it costs a lot of money."

"Let me have the receipt, this is a business expense and is tax-deductible. I need 800 discs to send to distributors. What did the band say?"

"They're all for it."

"That's great news. I'll send a disc to that guy who wants to book us into London with some comments."

"My old agent called and I think he was a little upset when I told him I had a London booking."

"He's probably regretting how he tried to take advantage of you."

"That's ok I think you're doing a great job and the money he would've had is staying in house. I'm looking forward to the London trip. Our vacation was great; I never thought I'd travel to Europe."

"Europe today and Japan tomorrow.”

And so the first of overseas conserts

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 30
  • Love 14
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Why is the old agent even bothering to call Tony he had his chance and he blew it. The British tour sounds exciting 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Excellent chapter, hindsight is a wonderful tool regarding the agent , he had the chance and blew it through greed , exciting times in Europe on the horizon

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Do what is right by people and, most of the time, they'll do what's right by you. At least one can hope for that anyway! The Beatles were popular in the UK but when they started touring worldwide, OMG. The same thing is happening with Tony in a roundabout way - a star is being born with the help of his partner and manager. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
9 hours ago, mikedup said:

Excellent chapter, hindsight is a wonderful tool regarding the agent , he had the chance and blew it through greed , exciting times in Europe on the horizon

Jim has turned out to be a smart agent for Tony. I thought the Paris trick was very effective.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Chris L said:

Do what is right by people and, most of the time, they'll do what's right by you. At least one can hope for that anyway! The Beatles were popular in the UK but when they started touring worldwide, OMG. The same thing is happening with Tony in a roundabout way - a star is being born with the help of his partner and manager. :)

Yes most of the time, most is the key word in that statement. It is a matter of love and devotion, two minds walking the same path . Good things own the future

Link to comment

Somehow, I can't feel sorry for the agent, the music business is full of shady folks!!

"My old agent called and I think he was a little upset when I told him I had a London booking."

"He's probably regretting how he tried to take advantage of you."

Link to comment
Just now, drsawzall said:

Somehow, I can't feel sorry for the agent, the music business is full of shady folks!!

"My old agent called and I think he was a little upset when I told him I had a London booking."

"He's probably regretting how he tried to take advantage of you."

Neither can I.  Selfish a-hole

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I volunteer to be the stage manager for them (I do have experience) :glomp: never been a roadie though, it was always in the amdram that I belonged to but I did stage manage for the professional opera companies and other gigs that played our theatre. Hell there was this one couple call 'Doctor Evadne Hinge and Dame Hilda Bracket' ( two fellas in drag who never appeared as men) then played this one weekend. It was the only time that I was so busy watching that I missed the curtain. Suddenly Hilda Bracket walks over to the side of the stage taps me on the shoulder and says, "Scuse me good looking care to close the curtains for us my darling?" At which she started her closing song for the second time and the house went wild.

Oh and I'm still waiting for me copy of the disc.

Link to comment
9 hours ago, Kev said:

I volunteer to be the stage manager for them (I do have experience) :glomp: never been a roadie though, it was always in the amdram that I belonged to but I did stage manage for the professional opera companies and other gigs that played our theatre. Hell there was this one couple call 'Doctor Evadne Hinge and Dame Hilda Bracket' ( two fellas in drag who never appeared as men) then played this one weekend. It was the only time that I was so busy watching that I missed the curtain. Suddenly Hilda Bracket walks over to the side of the stage taps me on the shoulder and says, "Scuse me good looking care to close the curtains for us my darling?" At which she started her closing song for the second time and the house went wild.

Oh and I'm still waiting for me copy of the disc.

Reminds me a Damew Edna of TV fame.  There is a problem with teh disc. Seems our post office is  still handling the  Christmas mail.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    You probably have a crazy and hectic schedule and find it hard to keep up with everything going on.  We get it, because we feel it too.  Signing up here is a great way to keep in touch and find something relaxing to read when you get a few moments to spare.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..