Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Button - 11. 7Eleven

Button makes a new friend and Andy is feeling left out.

7Eleven

“You really killed it on that play Craig,” Petey Simon said pushing him on the shoulder. They’d just finished their first game of the season. They weren’t supposed to keep score but the boys did. The Nokomis Tigers beat their arch rivals, the Southwest Eagles four to two.

Craig could proudly say he was a big part of the win. It felt really good, especially given his dad was in the bleachers shouting at him as he’d scored the final goal. He loved hockey.

“We couldn’t have done it without our awesome goalie,” Craig said pushing Petey back. “You had some pretty good saves.”

“I love being the goalie. You don’t have to be so fast like you are,” Petey grinned, his breath a fog in the cold winter air. “Let’s get a slurpie to celebrate.”

“Sounds like a plan,” Craig said. They walked the rest of the block to the convenience store. After practice, they usually got a pop or even a candy bar but since their victory, a bigger treat seemed just right.

“I like the blue ones. What’s your favorite?” Petey asked his friend. Craig had stopped in the middle of the store. His eyes were fixed on something.

“What’s up?” Petey asked backtracking to see what Craig was staring at.

“Nuffin,” Craig said pulling his gaze away from her. He didn’t know why he was staring at the girl. It was so strange. “I want a cherry one.”

The two boys got their frozen drinks quickly and joked and laughed their way to the front counter. Craig kept looking behind him. Petey quickly paid for the drinks and turned.

“What are you looking at doofus?”

“Nada,” Craig said pushing his friend as they headed for the door. He looked back one last time and sighed. ‘She is so beautiful,’ he thought. ‘I wonder what her name is.’

Petey laughed and punched him.

“What?” Craig said. “I missed that.”

“I said take a picture, it lasts longer,” Petey snorted.

The two boys exploded out the door and ran across the street to the ice rink in the park where their respective fathers awaited them. Their dads were watching the next match. The boys couldn’t be bothered.

********************

“You should’ve seen him Gray. Button was all over the ice, dashing past the Eagles’ players and in the end he even scored a goal,” Craig gushed. “He was amazing.”

Graham smiled and listened as Button and Craig recounted the events of the hockey game. He stirred the soup as it warmed. It was too bad he missed it but Sarah was so sick and he couldn't leave her by herself. Sandy had offered to stay with her but Graham knew she didn’t want to miss it either.

He couldn’t understand the game anyway. What was it with men and boys chasing around a little black piece of rubber with sticks that was so exciting?

“I’ll be at the next match for sure,” Graham said. “Sarah’s feeling even worse I think.”

“Should I go check on her?” Craig asked, showing alarm.

“Naw, it’s just a cold but she does have a fever,” Graham said. “She’s sleeping now.”

Craig shrugged and turned to Button. “There’s just one thing you’re missing. When they come at you with two guys, you need to…”

Graham just tuned them out. Craig was like a little kid when he was talking about hockey. He was so animated and excited. Button and Craig were thrilled with the game but it was so damn boring. At least, that’s what Graham thought.

*********************

“You should ask your dads if you can come with this Saturday,” Petey said as they walked into the lunchroom. Craig looked over at Andy. He was looking down at the floor.

“I don’t know,” Craig said haltingly. “I’ve never played paintball before.”

“It’s great. You get these guns with packets of paint. They dress you up in camo gear and pick teams. Then, you try to shoot the other team’s players while sneaking around in the woods. It’s a blast,” his friend said. “A bunch of the other guys on the team are going too.”

Craig looked at Andy who was sitting down at their usual table. Josie was in middle school now so it was just the two of them at the table. Petey had been begging Craig to come sit with some of the other guys on the hockey team but he just couldn’t leave Andy sitting alone.

“I’ll ask my dad,” Craig said.

“Come sit with me. I’ll tell you about the last time we went out,” Petey urged.

“Maybe you could sit here, with us?” Craig asked and looked over at the lone boy picking at his pizza.

“I guess,” Petey said. “But I always sit with Oscar and Jamar.”

“Just this one time,” Craig said, “Please.”

“Okay,” Petey said and the two of them sat across from Andy. “Hey! What’s up?”

Andy looked up from his lunch. A shy smile crossed his face. “Nothing. Just eating.”

“Hey, would you like to go paintballing with us?” Petey asked. “It’s really fun.”

Craig looked at Petey and nodded his head. Andy was his oldest friend but he was so quiet and shy. Perhaps this would help him make some other friends.

Andy shook his head sadly. “I can’t. My mom won’t let me.”

“Why?” Petey asked.

“Come on Andy. It’ll be fun and you can get to know some of the other guys,” Craig said catching his friend’s eye.

“She won’t let me cuz of my heart,” Andy answered.

“It doesn’t have to be too crazy,” Craig said. “You can just crawl around mostly and hide in the trees.”

“She won’t let me. I know,” Andy said.

“What about you?” Petey asked looking at Craig. “You’ve got to come with us.”

“I’ll ask,” Craig said but he could see the anguish on his friend’s face. Andy was alone more now. Button had band and hockey. He was almost never in the special ed classroom any more. He’d stop in once a week to talk with Ms. Harding but that was about it. Lunchtime was all he really had with his friend. Sure they got together outside school but even that didn’t happen like it used to.

“Cool. I’m gonna go tell the guys you’re in,” Petey said flashing a grin. “It’s gonna be great.”

Craig watched as his friend dashed over to the table with his hockey buds. He heard hoots and hollering and smiled at their enthusiasm. He looked over at Andy and he was pushing salad around his tray.

“What’s wrong?” Craig asked. “You’re upset with me aren’t you?”

“No. Not at all,” Andy mumbled. “You should eat with them.”

“No way. You’re my best friend and I’m eating with you,” Craig grinned. “Now, what is Amanda doing for her history project?”

Andy looked up and smiled briefly. He started talking about the different projects the special ed class was planning. Although Button seemed to be listening to what he was saying, Andy noticed his friend kept glancing over at the other table. Andy wondered if he was losing Button’s friendship. He was so different than the rest of them. While they struggled with basic skills, Button was making new friends and doing other stuff.

Andy knew what he had to do. It sure hurt though.

************************

“Dad, I’m going to get a pop,” Craig said breathlessly as he removed his skates.

“Okay. Just be careful of traffic like we talked about,” his dad said looking at him closely. God, the boy was growing so fast. He was only eleven years old but he was really getting taller now. The blonde man shook his head and looked back at the boys skating around in practice. “Bring me a diet cola.”

“Sure,” Craig said and ran over to the street. He wondered if that girl would be there again.

After waiting for the last car to pass, Craig crossed the street and walked into the little convenience store. At first all he saw was the dark haired woman behind the counter. He looked down the aisles as he made his way to the pop coolers. That’s when he saw her, placing something on a shelf.

Craig paused and considered. What was he going to say? He started to walk down the aisle and then stopped. What if she thought he was weird? Scratching his head undecidedly, Button looked around.

“Can I help you with something?” he heard a voice behind him ask. The voice was light, airy, and musical. There was something else about her voice. Her words seemed a little strained, with an accent. Craig turned around.

“Huh?” he answered. God, he was a dork.

“I asked if you needed help finding anything,” the girl asked with a smile. She was beautiful, like an angel.

Craig just stood there staring at her. She had long blonde hair and lovely pale skin with rosy pink cheeks. The girl was shorter than him. She looked about his age though he didn’t remember seeing her at his school. He found himself walking down the aisle to get closer.

“I’m just getting a pop and…” he stammered.

“Oh, the pop cooler is right over there,” she said pointing to where he knew it was.

Craig kept walking toward her though. He wanted to see her eyes. He didn’t know why but he needed to see them close up.

“Um, I’m Craig,” he said thrusting his hand towards her. She looked up at him with cool, light blue eyes and reached out.

“I’m Mirabelle. Was there something else you needed?” she asked.

Craig just stood there watching as she looked at him closely. She was wearing a pale silver sweatshirt with the picture of a beer bottle on it. The girl’s smile was so kind and caring.

“No,” Craig cleared his throat. “I just wanted to say hi.” Jeez, he sounded like a loser.

“Hi there,” she said in that musical voice. “I’ve got to get back to…”

“Sorry. I’ll just get my pop then,” Craig heard himself say. “Sorry to bother you.”

“It’s no bother silly,” she said and laid a hand on his forearm. He was wearing a coat but the feel of her touch made him shiver.

‘Wow,’ Craig thought as he pulled a Mountain Dew and a Tab out of the cooler. ‘She’s the most beautiful girl I’ve ever seen.’

He made his way over to the counter and paid for the drinks. As he walked past the aisle towards the door, he looked for her. She was gone. The plastic bin she’d been emptying was still there but the girl was gone.

Mirabelle. Her name is Mirabelle.

************************

“So then Jamar and I doubled back around, and the other team was hiding behind a shed. So we snuck up on them. They turned around but it was too late. We nailed ‘em both with paint,” Button gushed. “It was wicked fun.”

“Sounds like it,” Graham said folding the last towel. “Maybe next time Sarah and I can come with.”

“Girls don’t like paintball,” Button said looking at Sarah.

“Some girls don’t like to creep around in the snow to shoot people,” Sarah looked up from her book. “Some girls do.”

“Do you really wanna go paintballing with Dad and me?” Button asked.

“No, but it would’ve been nice if you’d asked,” Sarah said smiling mischievously. “I don’t wanna go running around in the woods.”

“I would’ve come,” Graham said lifting his eyebrows. “You didn’t ask me either.”

“Aw, come on Pop. You wouldn’t have liked it,” Button said.

“You could have come with us Gray,” Craig smiled. “Why didn’t you say something?”

“That’s okay. I’ll just stay home and wash clothes while my two warriors are out making the world safe for paint,” Graham joked. He made a huge sigh and then winked at Craig.

Lately Graham had felt a little out of touch with the two of them. He hated the feeling but his little boy spent more time with Craig than he used to. Button had new friends and had more activities that didn’t involve him. He was growing up and Graham figured that was part of it.

“It’s pretty brutal out there,” Craig said grinning at Button.

“Yeah, it is. Dad was the first one shot,” Button laughed.

Craig just grinned.

“Did you at least ask Andy to go with you?” Graham said.

“Yeah, but his mom won’t let him,” Button said softly. “It’s cuz of his heart.”

“Oh,” Graham said. “I guess that would be a problem.”

Button looked down at the table. He felt really bad for Andy. He didn’t get to do fun things most guys liked to do. It was too bad. Button missed his friend sometimes. He had so much in common with Petey, Jamar, and Oscar though. He liked being around those guys and doing fun things. Andy couldn’t do active things. Button felt his insides twitch when he thought of Andy all by himself.

Then, he thought of something that he and Andy could do together. Maybe that would be fun.

“Um, Pop?” Button started. “It’s my birthday pretty soon.”

“Yeah.” Graham said looking at Craig. “Why?”

“I heard there’s a pretty cool paintball game for PlayStation. If I had that game, Andy and me could play that together.”

Craig nodded to his husband eagerly.

“That’s a great idea honey,” Graham said. “Maybe you could get an extra controller or two as well.”

“That would be awesome Pop.”

Craig got up and put his arms around Button, hugging him close. “You’re a very special boy you know that?”

Button just nodded. He wasn’t thinking about Andy or his hockey buds anymore. Another person had invaded his thoughts. Speaking of being alone, he missed someone else too.

He wanted to see Mirabelle again. It had been a week now.

********************

“So, what is Poland like?” Craig asked handing her a box of mac and cheese.

“It’s a lot like here only everyone speaks Polish of course and there aren’t so many television channels,” Mirabelle answered as she put the box on the shelf.

“What did you do for fun?” Craig asked. He was sitting cross-legged on the floor of the convenience store. At first Mirabelle thought it odd this boy would come and chat with her as she worked. Then she realized he was just curious about her. He seemed really nice.

“We did the same kinds of things you do here I guess. My brothers played hockey just like you. I skated in the winter but it was figure skating not hockey skating,” she said. “I like to read a lot. What do you like to do?”

Craig told her all about the paintball experience and his PlayStation games. He talked about being in the band. He chattered on about hockey and the goal he’d scored. The more time he spent with Mirabelle, the more comfortable Craig felt around her. She wasn’t just lovely to look at. Mirabelle was easy to talk to as well. He felt a warm feeling that seemed strange but it wasn’t a bad feeling at all.

“Maybe I should come watch you play sometime,” she said. “Hand me those bottles.”

Craig did so and watched her place them on the shelf. Her movements were making his head spin. She displayed an air of confidence as she worked. Mirabelle was so graceful.

‘It was strange they’d never met before,’ Button thought.

Well, not really. She went to a special school for people who didn’t speak English well. Button wondered why. Mirabelle spoke English as well as he did even if she did have an accent. Actually, he really liked the accent. It was cute.

“I’d like you to come watch me some time,” he said finally. “That would be way cool.”

“It would be,” Mirabelle said glancing over at him her head cocked to the side. “Yeah, I’d like that.”

Craig blushed at the thought of her coming just to see him but then he heard a voice that turned the pleasure into discomfort.

“What’s the little Button doing sitting on the floor,” Kevin Dooley laughed. He’d come around the edge of the shelves, pointing at Craig with a malicious look on his face.

“What are you doing here?” Craig asked, his discomfort turning to anger. “Don’t call me that.”

“What’s wrong little baby Button. Forget how to walk you loser?” Kevin snarled. Then he turned his attention to Mirabelle and smiled at her. “Who is this?”

Craig wanted to punch him.

“I’m Mirabelle. My parents own this store. Can I help you?” she asked. Craig could hear she had a bit of a sting in her voice. That was strange because everyone let Kevin get away with murder.

“I’m Kevin. Pleased to meet you,” he said looking back and forth between Craig and her.

“Is there something I can help you find?” Mirabelle asked again and this time the tone was definitely frosty.

“Naw, I can find it. I just gotta give the loser a hard time,” Kevin smiled again but he looked unsure. Craig saw he was shaking a little and he was swallowing rapidly.

“If you don’t mind, I need to finish stocking these shelves. Craig? Would you hand me those packages of napkins?” Mirabelle asked him sweetly smiling nicely.

Kevin looked confused. “You know he’s in special ed right?” he finally said.

“I’m really busy right now so can you leave me and my friend alone,” Mirabelle said giving Kevin the sweetest most lethal smile Craig had ever seen.

Kevin turned beet red and ran out of the store. Craig wondered why Kevin was here. It was weird. He had enjoyed watching Mirabelle shut him down.

“Don’t mind him Craig. He’s just jealous,” she said. “Now give me those boxes of plastic forks please.”

*******************

Craig and Graham watched as Button raced around the defender and took a shot. The boy was on fire today and neither of them could figure out what made him so daring.

“Why do we have to sit out here?” Sarah groused. She was shivering.

“We’re watching your brother play. Isn’t he doing well?” Graham was amazed. All it took was someone you love playing a sport and it seemed so much more interesting.

“Look at that Gray!” Craig shouted. “Button just stole the puck.”

“Uh oh, he’s gonna, no, yes!” Graham called out. “He shoots and he scores!”

Graham and Craig hugged and jumped up and down. Button raised his stick and shook it wildly. Sarah watched as her brother’s eyes flitted from them to elsewhere. She looked over and saw a girl in a puffy coat jumping up and down yelling. ‘Is that who Button was looking at?’ Sarah wondered.

*********************

Craig walked into the cafeteria with Petey and Jamar. Oscar was waving them over. Craig looked over at ‘their’ table but Andy wasn’t there. He wondered if his friend was sick or something. He shrugged and got a tray going through the line with his hockey buds.

After joking around and eating, Craig looked around the lunch room. He was sure he’d seen Andy earlier today in the halls. What happened to him?

That’s when he saw him. Andy was sitting with the special ed kids. He was laughing and poking at Amanda.

Why wasn't Andy at their table? They always sat together.

Craig got out of his seat and walked over to the table. “Hey Andy.”

“Oh, hi Craig,” he said. “What’s up?”

“Why aren’t you sitting at our usual table?” Craig asked in his friend’s ear. “You’re not mad at me are you?”

“Nope. I’m sitting here now,” Andy said.

Craig didn’t say anything for a moment. He let the idea roll around in his brain. “What are you doing after school?”

“I have a doctor’s appointment but then nothing,” Andy said. “You wanna hang out?”

“Yeah. Dad and Pop got me this new game for PlayStation. It’s a paintball game,” Craig said. “Wanna come over and play?”

Andy looked at his friend with deep appreciation. Only Button would think to get a game like that. Now he could pretend to be part of the gang too.

“Anybody else coming over?” Andy asked quietly.

“Nope. Just me and my best bud today,” Craig said. “Whaddaya say?”

“I say count me in,” Andy smiled. “Sounds like a blast.”

“Yeah, well I’m gonna kick your ass,” Craig joked and pushed Andy’s shoulder.

“Maybe,” Andy grinned. “I’ll kick your ass.”

Button returned to the table with his hockey buds. He’d have to make sure Andy was part of their group. All the boys liked video games. Maybe that was something they could all share together. He couldn’t let poor Andy become someone he used to hang out with. His friend was too important for him to let that happen. Button wondered if there was some way to keep Andy part of his new world. It felt like things were changing, for the better.

Next up, we play games for fun and to get to know other people. Ultimately we learn more about ourselves too.
Copyright © 2014 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 35
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Gah! So much happened this year! Button developed his first crush, a new friend group and what an outstanding young gentleman of character. I really hope he can keep his friendship with Andy. Things will only get harder as the years go by (a bit of foreshadowing perhaps? Middle school is so harsh socially, emotionally and physically.)

 

It's amazing that all of Button's work and the early intervention has him playing pee-wee hockey and doing well. Not just playing because everyone gets to play, the kid is killing it. I'm also enjoying the small glimpses we get of Kevin each chapter. I have hope for that boy's character development yet.

Link to comment

thanks for taking the time to write and share this story with us, I loved it as usual ......u never disappoint

 

Bob

Link to comment
On 05/12/2014 01:57 AM, fiedlerbob101 said:
thanks for taking the time to write and share this story with us, I loved it as usual ......u never disappoint

 

Bob

Thanks Bob! I'm glad you're enjoying it. We've got lots coming up.
Link to comment
On 05/12/2014 01:49 AM, Rebelghost85 said:
Gah! So much happened this year! Button developed his first crush, a new friend group and what an outstanding young gentleman of character. I really hope he can keep his friendship with Andy. Things will only get harder as the years go by (a bit of foreshadowing perhaps? Middle school is so harsh socially, emotionally and physically.)

 

It's amazing that all of Button's work and the early intervention has him playing pee-wee hockey and doing well. Not just playing because everyone gets to play, the kid is killing it. I'm also enjoying the small glimpses we get of Kevin each chapter. I have hope for that boy's character development yet.

Thanks Rebel! Yeah, there will be more Kevin Dooley coming up especially in Thirteen Mile Camp. Andy's pretty important to Button but relationship contexts change over time. Perhaps we'll see a little rebellion coming up as well. It's about that time!
Link to comment

Wonderful chapter! Button is such a sweet boy, caring about his best friend, who can´t be part of Button´s activities with his new friends. I hope they manage to keep on being friends while growing up and getting new friends and interests. Bit worrisome to see Graham feel so insecure.

Link to comment
On 05/19/2014 02:15 AM, Suvitar said:
Wonderful chapter! Button is such a sweet boy, caring about his best friend, who can´t be part of Button´s activities with his new friends. I hope they manage to keep on being friends while growing up and getting new friends and interests. Bit worrisome to see Graham feel so insecure.
Thanks Suvitar. Graham is a worry-wort. Given Craig is a bit oblivious sometimes, that can be a good thing. I appreciate the review.
Link to comment

So Button is sure growing up. Becoming interested in girls, getting into hockey like his dad, and being such a mature and thoughtful friend to Andy while pursuing his friendship with the team mates. A great chapter. [i've just being exploring your page and learning something about you (even had a peek at your Twitter page and found a pic of you - wow! I'm impressed! Not just with the man but with what makes him tick. It's all good! I'm even more of a fan! He not only loves kids, but loves animals and gardening and good food! What more is there to say!)]

Link to comment
On 07/16/2014 05:41 PM, Jaro_423 said:
So Button is sure growing up. Becoming interested in girls, getting into hockey like his dad, and being such a mature and thoughtful friend to Andy while pursuing his friendship with the team mates. A great chapter. [i've just being exploring your page and learning something about you (even had a peek at your Twitter page and found a pic of you - wow! I'm impressed! Not just with the man but with what makes him tick. It's all good! I'm even more of a fan! He not only loves kids, but loves animals and gardening and good food! What more is there to say!)]
Hahaha! Why thank you! I'm glad you're enjoying the story. Thanks for the very kind words.
Link to comment

What a wonderful chapter about the intricacies of growing up. Everything seems to happen all at once, for the kids and the parents. I remember feeling a lot of what Graham does...and yes even the crushes on girls. Growing apart from friends is a tough part of the process but in Andy's case, I hope that doesn't happen. So Kevin is still a dick...no surprise there. I loved how he got shut down in the convenience store. I really enjoyed this one...Cheers...G

Link to comment
On 09/28/2014 05:02 AM, Headstall said:
What a wonderful chapter about the intricacies of growing up. Everything seems to happen all at once, for the kids and the parents. I remember feeling a lot of what Graham does...and yes even the crushes on girls. Growing apart from friends is a tough part of the process but in Andy's case, I hope that doesn't happen. So Kevin is still a dick...no surprise there. I loved how he got shut down in the convenience store. I really enjoyed this one...Cheers...G
I'm so glad that came through. This is Button's first independent friendship. I thought it showed how in Tweens they begin to seek their own friends. Yes, Kevin continues to be Kevin. That is a given at this point. Thanks Gary!
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..