Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Button - 5. Five for Fighting

Button goes to school and it doesn't exactly work for him.

Five for Fighting

“Craig, we need to go to the school,” Graham said on the other end. “They just called.”

Craig grimaced and closed the report he’d been reading. “It’s his first day.”

“I know but he had a fit in the middle of class and they want us to come in,” Graham answered and swallowed hard. They’d both been afraid of this scenario. Button had been in Head Start for the past two years and there hadn’t been an incident but they had worried the actual classroom setting would be more of a challenge for their little guy.

“Give me five minutes and I’ll be on my way,” Craig said squeezing his stress ball a few times for good measure. What were they going to do about Button’s fits?

Craig strode out his office door. He noticed the new receptionist, Kim, was looking at him expectantly with a smile on her face. Today, she was wearing a purple silk blouse that clung ever so nicely to her creamy white…Craig shook his head. Enough of that.

“Can you tell my three o’clock I won’t be able to make the meeting?”

“Sure thing Craig. Do you want to reschedule?” she asked and her voice rumbled.

“Yeah, anytime this week is fine,” Craig said not looking at her.

“I’ll do that for you,” Kim said grinning at him.

“Thanks,” Craig said and headed towards the door.

Kim watched the man as he left. His broad shoulders and thick thighs were so tantalizing. She liked the sound of his voice too. Craig was definitely a delicious little piece of forbidden fruit. She’d like a taste of that, she thought.

“Oh yeah,” she said to herself. “Too bad he’s gay.”

******************

“We can’t have these kinds of outbursts,” Principal Hall said with a sigh. “Craig disrupted the whole class and really upset Claire Bottem, his teacher.”

“We don’t know what to say. He did so well in Head Start and he seemed to be handling it when he gets stressed out much better,” Graham said. “What are our options?”

“Craig only marginally tested as ready for kindergarten anyway. I think your best bet is another year of the special Head Start program. I’m sorry he just doesn’t seem mature enough for the rigors of kindergarten,” she said with a weak smile to cushion the blow.

Craig angrily watched the gray haired woman dressed in a blue pantsuit with a red scarf wishing he could strangle her. He scoffed when she said ‘the rigors of kindergarten’. She was sitting in judgment of his little boy and it was making the blonde man see red.

“What did he say to this Claire woman that got her so up in arms?” Craig asked gruffly. Did Button forget to bow when she entered the room?

Graham laid a hand on a trembling Craig and squeezed a warning.

Cynthia Hall could see the two men were trying to hold it together. Perhaps if they knew what Button had said to Claire, they’d settle down and think about the situation.

“Why don’t we ask Craig what he said?” she said and got up from her desk. “Shelly. Can you send Craig in to speak with us?”

By the time the principal had returned to her chair, Button came through the door looking sheepish and tear stained. Graham held out his arms and their little guy jumped onto his lap.

“Craig, can you tell your fathers what name you called Ms. Bottem?” the principal asked calmly.

Button shook his head wildly no.

“Come on, just tell us what you called her,” Graham said his voice quivered with nervousness.

“I said she’s not nice,” Button mumbled.

“That’s not what you told me half an hour ago,” the principal said putting on her glasses. “Do you want to tell your fathers what you really said? Or should I?”

“I said she’s a sum of a bitch,” Button muttered and covered his face with his hands.

“Is this really necessary?” Graham said, a smile creeping across on his face. He looked over at Craig who was getting red with embarrassment. They knew exactly where Button had learned that little phrase.

“But, it gets worse, doesn’t it Craig?” the principal said looking at them over her glasses. “What did you tell her to do?”

“She was bugging me,” Button said softly from behind his fingers. “I didn’t mean it.”

“You told Ms. Bottem to ‘f-word off,’ isn’t that what you said?” the principal was now glowering at Craig and Graham.

“This is ridiculous. So a little kid says a swear word. I doubt that’s a first here,” Craig said embarrassingly red.

“We discourage children from telling teachers off like that, yes,” Principal Hall said. Craig was waiting for her to cluck her tongue in disapproval. He looked over at Graham who was trying very hard not to burst out laughing and Craig’s shame dissipated. A sheepish smile crept onto his face.

“I don’t think this is a laughing matter,” she said shortly. “Finding humor in his vulgarities only encourages him.”

Graham couldn’t contain himself. He snorted and caught his laugh and then said to Button, “We don’t use words like that. It’s not polite.”

Button pulled his hands from his face. “But Daddy said that to Mr. Whiner last week.”

Craig couldn’t stop himself and let out a belly laugh.

“No wonder Craig doesn’t have any respect for authority.” Now, the school marm practically had no lips they were pursed so tightly.

“His name is Mr. Weinhardt and Daddy shouldn’t say things like that. Neither should you,” Graham said trying to remain stoic but it didn’t work. Soon he was chuckling too. The image of Button telling his teacher to ‘fuck off and that she was a ‘son of a bitch’ was just too hilarious.

“We’ll take care of this,” Craig said wiping his eyes. “Sorry about our reaction. Craig won’t do it again, will you buddy?”

Button nodded and now he had a grin on his face.

“Well, he won’t be doing it here,” the principal said ripping her glasses off. “He’s obviously not ready and you have quite a bit of work to do.”

“I’ll see you in the car,” Graham said getting up and carrying Button towards the door. “We really do take this seriously.”

“I know you do. I’m sorry this happened,” the principal said.

***********************

About fifteen minutes later, Craig got into the driver’s seat of the car. Graham looked at him expectantly but the big blonde man just shook his head.

“You’re not in trouble,” Craig said keeping his voice low. “I’m just disappointed. Button, we need to work on your fits.”

“Sorry,” Button said, his little face screwed up in a frown. “I didn’t mean it.”

Craig looked at Graham who just smiled back at him. “We’ll work on this later. First things first. Would you like to go back to school with Andy?”

“Yeah!” Button answered eagerly. “I like that school better.”

“Then it’s settled. Tomorrow we’ll go back to that school. In the meantime, we should get you home,” Craig sighed. He looked over at Graham and his eyes were filled with tears. This was hard on both of them.

******************

“Do you think it will really help?” Craig said pushing his chair back from the dinner table. Button was in the other room playing with his little toy xylophone. Right now it was a song from some cartoon show that sounded familiar. Craig couldn’t place it though he knew Graham probably knew.

“Did he really freak out over someone touching his mat?”

“Yeah. The principal said he went totally ballistic when a little girl tried to take it from him,” Craig said keeping his voice low. “When the teacher intervened he was on the floor screaming.”

“I thought he was getting better at handling it,” Graham said softly. “I’ve been working with him so much and-“

“Honey, it’s not your fault,” Craig leaned forward. “He is much better. Most of the time, he controls it but he couldn’t today.”

Graham was looking at his hands and fretting, the concern wrinkling his forehead. “I think we should try it. It can’t hurt. I just wish this wasn’t so hard on him.”

“He’s fine. Button’s excited he gets to go to school with Andy. He’s not upset at all,” Craig said. He got up and gave Graham a kiss. Graham smiled and nodded.

“Let’s try it.”

**********************

“How was school today?” Graham asked as he pulled away from the parking spot.

“Good. This school is better,” Button announced from his car seat in the back. “I like it.”

“That’s good. Say, we’re taking a little detour today,” Graham said looking at him in the mirror. “Your Daddy is meeting us someplace special.”

“Where?” Button asked with a smile on his lips. “Where we going Papa?”

“We’re going to the pet store,” Graham answered. “You said you wanted a kitty.”

“A kitty!” Button shouted. “I get a kitty!”

“Yep. But you have to be very good to it and take care of it,” Graham said.

“I will,” Button promised. “A kitty!” he exclaimed.

*********************

Ping scampered after Button as the little boy hurried into his room. Graham watched as the little guy turned and made sure the kitten was following him. They’d made a good choice. In the past week, Button and the tiny little charcoal gray ball of fur had been inseparable. Button was very gentle with him and the kitten simply adored the little boy.

“What’s up for the day?” Craig said drinking his coffee. He was in sweats and a t-shirt, relishing a Saturday off while Graham made scrambled eggs.

“I thought we could go to Natalie’s today. Andy’s been sick for the past couple of days and Button’s worried about him.”

“I have to analyze some reports. You’d better go without me,” Craig said stretching out his long arms.

“Are you sure? Natalie always makes a mean plate of bars when we visit,” Graham said his eyebrows wagging.

“Maybe you could bring me home one,” Craig yawned. “I need to make sure the survey is accurate. This new concept is my baby and I don’t want Bob to find anything I haven’t considered.”

“Alright. Button! Breakfast,” Graham called out dishing up eggs onto a plate with sausage patties and toast.

Button came running into the kitchen, Ping following dutifully behind him. That silly cat was more like a dog.

“Ping wants bweakfast too Papa,” Button said excitedly.

“Ping has food in his dish,” Graham smiled. “He can eat when he wants to.”

“Ping likes eggs,” Button said. The little boy took a nugget of his eggs and leaned over to offer it to the kitten.

“No people food for Ping,” Craig growled. “It’ll make him sick.”

Button scowled and dropped the egg which the kitten licked. “Ping is hungry.”

Craig rolled his eyes as Graham sat down. “I’m not cleaning up the puke.”

********************

“Is he getting worse?” Graham asked drinking from his pop can.

Natalie paused and looked into the other room. Button was racing cars on the carpet in front of the couch while Andy lay next to him. Her little boy was so pale. Andy didn’t have much energy and it ached to see him weakly move his little matchbox car. Compared with Button’s excited vroom-vrooming, her little blonde angel was listless.

“The specialist said his heart is really laboring. They’re looking at another procedure for him,” Natalie sniffed.

“I’m sorry,” Graham said. “It must be really hard for you.”

“Pheesh,” Natalie waved the man’s concerns away. “It isn’t nearly as bad as it is for him. I hope they figure out something that will help.”

“It’s rough going for him,” Graham said looking up and seeing Button take Andy’s hand. He was helping him get up onto the couch. Andy was saying something to his friend and Button was nodding enthusiastically at whatever it was.

“So, Button didn’t like kindergarten much I hear,” Natalie said.

“No. He didn’t handle it well so we’re going to give it a year and work on his tantrums,” Graham sighed. “We’re trying pet therapy with him.”

“I hear that works pretty well. Too bad Andy’s allergic or I’d try it myself,” Natalie said. “Andy’s really happy Button’s back in his class though.”

“Button is too. I think we just need to be patient,” Graham said.

Natalie looked in and watched as Andy’s breathing became more tortured. Even laying on the couch listening to Button chatting away was too much for him. “I hope I have a lot of time to be patient,” Natalie said.

“It’ll be alright,” Graham assured her but he looked into the other room with sorrow. Andy didn’t look good at all.

***********************

“Sally, tell them about that woman with diabetes,” Nancy said laughing.

“She claims after she fell on the ice and broke her leg, the stress gave her type two diabetes,” Sally said with a twinkle in her eye. “I can’t believe I have to deal with nuts like this.”

“The woman really thinks the broken leg caused her condition?” Craig chuckled. “You’ve got to be making this up.”

“No. And her attorney can’t even look me in the eye when she’s telling me this,” Sally said. “I guess it takes all kinds.”

The four friends were having a daiquiri after their dinner. Sally and Nancy’s little girl Josie was in the living room playing with Button. They had Chutes and Ladders out and were chattering together about school. It had been a pleasant evening.

“Anyone up for more peach daiquiri?” Graham asked getting up.

“I’ll have some more,” Nancy said. “Sally’s had enough.”

“I think I can walk down the block after two frozen drinks,” Sally giggled. “I’m not the lightweight you are.”

“How about we all have another,” Craig said grinning.

Suddenly, shouts interrupted the laughter.

“You’re hurting him!” they heard Button yell. “Stop touching Ping.”

“I’m not. I’m just petting him,” Josie hollered back.

“Stop it! He’s mine,” Button squealed.

“Oh no,” Craig said and got up. “Button, what’s going on?”

“He’s mine!” Button shrieked. “Get away!”

Craig got up and raced into the living room. Button was on his back screaming and kicking his feet. He was no longer talking. His eyes were tightly closed and arms pumping. Josie stepped back, hand to her mouth in horror. Button had bubbles coming from his lips and a line of snot flew from his nose.

“What’s happening?” Sally asked and Nancy shushed her. They looked to Graham who was watching Craig take Button into his arms. The blonde man sat cross legged on the floor and cradled the little boy. Button stopped howling and was now sobbing as Craig rocked him back and forth.

His legs slowly stopped kicking. Craig was whispering softly in his ear and humming. “It’s okay. You’re fine. Just relax. That’s it. You’re okay.”

“I’m sorry,” Graham said touching Nancy’s arm. Sally looked at him and took her wife’s hand. Josie had left the living room and went to her mothers’ sides. Josie was trembling.

“Josie, Button’s gonna be fine. He just had one of his fits. It’s already passing,” Graham said. Josie looked at him then her mothers. Nancy smiled at her and pulled her close. Sally’s mouth was wide open.

“Believe it or not, they used to be worse,” Graham said. “Now it’s my turn.” He walked into the living room.

“Come ‘ere honey,” he said to Button. The little boy opened his eyes and looked at his Papa with concern. His little hands were opening and closing, making fists but his face had eased and his legs stopped kicking.

“Come to Papa now,” Graham said and Button crawled out of Craig’s arms and into his.

“Everything’s going to be alright,” he murmured over and over as Button’s body relaxed. After a few moments, Craig got up and joined the others in the kitchen.

“I’m sorry you had to see that,” he said rubbing his blonde beard.

“Is Button okay?” Josie asked from behind Sally’s arms.

“He’ll be fine in a few minutes. Sometimes he can’t control it,” Craig said sadly.

“Button, you’re fine now. It’s okay,” Graham cooed at him hugging him closely. “Now what do we do when we start getting upset?”

“We *sniff* count to three,” Button said haltingly. He looked up at Graham.

“That’s right. We count to three and breathe, right?”

Button nodded and said, “One,” and took a deep breath. “Two,” and took another. “Three,” and he let out all the air.

“That’s very good. And what do we do if that doesn’t work?” Graham asked sweetly still rocking him.

“We walk away,” Button said with a sob.

“That’s right. Very good. It’s okay. It just got away from you tonight,” Graham said kissing his ear.

Button turned and hugged his Papa. “I’m sorry,” his little voice cracked.

“Nothing to be sorry about to me,” Graham said. “But I think you need to say sorry to Ping. You scared him.”

“Ping’s scaret?” Button asked panicky.

“You scared him. You don’t wanna do that do you?” Graham asked softly.

“No. Gotta find Ping,” Button said getting up. “Where’s Ping?”

They started searching and found the little gray tuft behind the couch. He was curled into a ball and shivering. Graham lifted the kitten up and Button gently stroked his fur.

“Ping, I’m so sorry. Don’t be scaret of me. I’m sorry,” Button sobbed. The little kitten started purring as Button carefully picked him up out of Graham’s hands. The kitten clung to Button’s shirt as the little boy petted him.

“I think you scared Josie too,” Graham said quietly. “You should apologize to her.”

Button walked into the kitchen. His lower lip trembled as he said, “Josie, I’m sorry. You can pet Ping. I’m sorry.”

Josie looked at Button and the little gray fur ball and put out a hand. “It’s okay Button.”

“You can pet Ping. He likes it,” Button said moving closer.

Josie pet the little kitten who was now purring so loudly everyone could hear it.

“Everything’s good now,” Graham said. “I’m ready for another daiquiri.”

They all happily had a second one as Josie and Button went back into the living room to play with Ping.

****************

“That was embarrassing,” Craig said after they put Button to bed. Nancy, Sally and Josie had left an hour ago and Graham was putting the last of the glasses in the dishwasher.

“Nancy’s seen it before. Sally hasn’t. It’s fine Craig. Don’t stress about it,” Graham said looking over at his husband. Craig was standing by the table, red faced, his hands opening and closing. He was making fists as his face screwed up in frustration.

“Craig, do you have one of those stress balls?” Graham asked.

“Yeah, at work. Why?” Craig said looking at Gray’s puzzled look.

“Does it help?”

“Yeah, I guess so. I don’t even notice it anymore,” Craig said confused.

“I think we should get Button one of those,” Graham said. “He does the same thing you do with his hands.”

“Do you think it might help?” Craig said.

“I don’t think it would hurt,” Graham said with a sigh and a hopeful smile.

Craig looked down at his hands and back at Graham. No, it definitely wouldn’t hurt.

Back in his bedroom, Button smiled as Ping curled up next to him. He closed his eyes and sighed. He liked Josie. He liked Ping. Why did he get so upset? Didn’t matter. Everything was alright again.

He felt much better as he gently drifted off to sleep.

Next up, we have a funeral and Button says goodbye to his best friend.
Copyright © 2014 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 47
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Love the story. It's very interesting to read how Button is coming along and I was enjoying the chapter until I came to the line about the next chapter. I could have done without knowing that info, but I do look forward to more.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Like this story very much. I have a grandson with autism and can identify a lot. It is definitely a learning experience

Link to comment
On 03/31/2014 03:43 AM, Quiet man said:
Like this story very much. I have a grandson with autism and can identify a lot. It is definitely a learning experience
I worked with a couple of children with FASD and interned in a special needs classroom while student teaching. It's hard to watch them struggle but they also can achieve so much. I really appreciate your kind review. Thanks!
Link to comment
On 03/31/2014 02:00 AM, avidreadr said:
Love the story. It's very interesting to read how Button is coming along and I was enjoying the chapter until I came to the line about the next chapter. I could have done without knowing that info, but I do look forward to more.
Thanks Avid! I'm glad you're enjoying the story. The next chapter was pretty hard to write, but I think you'll like it. Button is an easy character to write about and his story is far from being told. :)
Link to comment

Oh god. I'm already crying because of Andy next chapter.

 

It seems that early trauma is making Button's life a little bit harder but hopefully his family and some therapy or counseling will be able to help him learn skills and live a full life.

Link to comment
On 03/31/2014 01:18 PM, Rebelghost85 said:
Oh god. I'm already crying because of Andy next chapter.

 

It seems that early trauma is making Button's life a little bit harder but hopefully his family and some therapy or counseling will be able to help him learn skills and live a full life.

It will get grittier but there are people who are there for each other. Button's start is hard but then isn't that true for most of us. Thank you so much for the review. I'm glad you are enjoying it.
Link to comment

I just found this story!!! I didn't know you had expanded chapter 6. I love this. It covers all the anxiety that parents have even if their child is 'normal'. Button is simply adorable and Craig and Graham are so sweet and real. But you really could have left that sneak peek sentence off. Now I'm all sad about poor little Andy and his Mom. :,(

Good job.

Link to comment
On 03/31/2014 03:22 PM, LadyDe said:
I just found this story!!! I didn't know you had expanded chapter 6. I love this. It covers all the anxiety that parents have even if their child is 'normal'. Button is simply adorable and Craig and Graham are so sweet and real. But you really could have left that sneak peek sentence off. Now I'm all sad about poor little Andy and his Mom. :,(

Good job.

Thanks LadyDe. Much is coming up. Button has a great support system. I hope you keep reading. :)
Link to comment

I remember how painful it was when my son was diagnosed with ADHD and the seeing what the recommended meds did to him. I can remember watching how he went from a happy, cheerful boy to a drugged out zombie. It hurt. I couldn't do that to him and we stopped the meds and found a place and a teacher willing to work with him. It was the best thing we could have done. It's hard being a parent and watching your child struggle.

I feel for these guys.

Thanks for sharing this story with us.

Link to comment
On 03/31/2014 11:49 PM, dughlas said:
I remember how painful it was when my son was diagnosed with ADHD and the seeing what the recommended meds did to him. I can remember watching how he went from a happy, cheerful boy to a drugged out zombie. It hurt. I couldn't do that to him and we stopped the meds and found a place and a teacher willing to work with him. It was the best thing we could have done. It's hard being a parent and watching your child struggle.

I feel for these guys.

Thanks for sharing this story with us.

Thank you for that remembrance.. in my minds eye I have a scene unfold when Craig rants about not turning his child into much the same. I didn't include it yet but I may do so. It is the norm to resort to pills. They are blunt tools though sometimes they help but not always. Thanks for the review. I'm glad you are enjoying the story.
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

*gets tissues ready for Chapter 6* This is a great story, Cole. :) Onward to the next chapter...*sniffle* :,(

Link to comment
On 06/02/2014 09:52 AM, Valkyrie said:
*gets tissues ready for Chapter 6* This is a great story, Cole. :) Onward to the next chapter...*sniffle* :,(
Thanks Valkyrie! Its sad but maybe not quite as bad as you think. Im glad youre enjoying it.
Link to comment
On 06/02/2014 09:52 AM, Valkyrie said:
*gets tissues ready for Chapter 6* This is a great story, Cole. :) Onward to the next chapter...*sniffle* :,(
Thanks Valkyrie! Its sad but maybe not quite as bad as you think. Im glad youre enjoying it.
Link to comment

A realistic if somewhat devastating look at what some have to go through. Very touching and very heart-warming. I love the way Craig and Graham work together to help their little guy. They are the best! Not sure about Andy's death and its effect on his mom. That's devastating but will be interesting to see what support system you have kicked in for all of them.

Link to comment
On 07/15/2014 10:30 PM, Jaro_423 said:
A realistic if somewhat devastating look at what some have to go through. Very touching and very heart-warming. I love the way Craig and Graham work together to help their little guy. They are the best! Not sure about Andy's death and its effect on his mom. That's devastating but will be interesting to see what support system you have kicked in for all of them.
It is tough stuff, but they are a team dealing with Button's fits. Andy's not dead. As you'll see in the next chapter, he is sick, but not gone. Thanks for the reviews!
Link to comment

This was a tough chapter...but at least I didn't have any tears. Being a parent is rewarding but it isn't easy. This chapter put me in mind of the pressure put on us by teachers about my youngest son. They had a so called expert come in and watch him for one morning in grade one and she recommended strongly that he be put on Ritalin... all because he was always busy and changed focus a lot. I threw a fit and refused. Every year he improved greatly and is a college graduate. All kids are different and that is to be gloried in, not punished. Sorry. I tend to go on...great chapter, sad at times but they are still a beautiful family....

Link to comment
On 09/27/2014 01:36 PM, Headstall said:
This was a tough chapter...but at least I didn't have any tears. Being a parent is rewarding but it isn't easy. This chapter put me in mind of the pressure put on us by teachers about my youngest son. They had a so called expert come in and watch him for one morning in grade one and she recommended strongly that he be put on Ritalin... all because he was always busy and changed focus a lot. I threw a fit and refused. Every year he improved greatly and is a college graduate. All kids are different and that is to be gloried in, not punished. Sorry. I tend to go on...great chapter, sad at times but they are still a beautiful family....
Gary, your experience is one I've heard before as a teacher and researcher. People have different stages of development and their abilities are diverse. You are right, it is easy for institutions to use too many generalized ways of dealing with issues. Kudos to you for being a fierce advocate for your son. Parents and caregivers who do so are the best ones to help kids find their solutions. I'm glad you recognized this theme. It's embedded throughout the story. Thanks Gary!
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..