Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Button - 16. Sweet Sixteen

Button is about to make his big move and there is a sweet 'coming out' party at the country club.

Sweet Sixteen

“I really don’t like that girl. I don’t trust her,” Graham said watching Button and his new girlfriend Carmel drive off. “She’s skanky.”

“He’s growing up and she has a certain allure,” Craig said putting his arm around his husband’s waist.

“She has the allure of a cheap hussy,” Graham said with disgust. “She’ll break his little heart in two.”

Craig sighed. He agreed with Graham more than he let on. However, it was Button’s heart to use as he saw fit. They had tried to explain nicely how she wasn’t really the kind of girl he should be dating but that had only made her more interesting to the boy. Sarah had expressed her opinion like she always did, openly. She said the girl was a slut.

Button had looked at her with unconcealed rage.

So, in the end they backed off. You can’t tell a sixteen year old boy who to date. It would have been easier to order Ping the cat to empty the dishwasher. In either case, it would fall on deaf and indifferent ears.

“They’re very excited for Kevin’s sixteenth birthday party,” Craig said hoping to change the subject.

“Mary Dooley is pulling out all the stops. She’s making this a ‘coming out’ party for him. I think it’s kinda weird,” Graham said. “Who else does he need to tell?”

“She’s just being supportive,” Craig said. “Lots of parents aren’t.”

“I think having a cotillion for a gay boy is a bit much,” Graham said.

“Come on, it’s not a debutante ball for heaven’s sake. It’s just a sixteenth birthday party.”

“At a country club?” Graham looked at Craig. They both started laughing. Mary Dooley wasn’t one to curtail her mothering urges when it came to Kevin.

“Let’s just hope nothing goes wrong. It’s been a hard year for the kids.” Graham was thinking how Button and Sarah were both high maintenance hormonal teenagers. Everything was a major drama.

“Yeah,” Craig answered. “Let’s hope not.”

********************

“Stop fidgeting Craig,” Graham said. “It’s gonna be fine.”

Craig, Graham, and Button, were waiting for the Individualized Education Plan meeting at the high school. Mr. Carpenter, his special ed teacher from the middle school, was talking to his high school special ed teacher Mrs. Grant. They would decide what help and support Button would need to start ninth grade. All three were nervous but Button was even more concerned. This would be a tense session.

“They’re ready for you now,” the counselor said through the open door. They got up and went in.

Button’s hands were clenching and unclenching as were Craig’s. Graham sat down rigidly facing the three other people.

“Thanks for coming,” Mrs. Grant said. Button noticed that she was dressed in a nice blue suit with a silky white blouse. She had a gold necklace with a pendant that matched her earrings. The woman looked so formal it was intimidating. She looked at him and smiled.

“How do we start?” Craig said, clearing his throat.

“Just have a seat and we’ll go through the assessment first. That won’t take long,” Mr. Carpenter said also smiling at Button. “He’s doing really well.”

Button breathed. He had been afraid, but his teacher didn’t seem upset or annoyed. That was a good sign.

“Let’s start with academics and work our way to social skills,” Mr. Carpenter said.

The other man, a high school counselor they met with last week, started talking. Button couldn’t remember his name but he had been really friendly.

“Craig has a B average which is very good. His math and science levels are his strong points. He did well in social science and reading, but does have some difficulties with writing composition.”

“What should we do about that?” Graham asked.

“Actually, we’ve been working with Craig on his writing skills and they’re improving already. As I said, his grades are very good, it’s only his writing that needs some work,” Mr. Carpenter said.

“I think what Graham is asking about is what we can do,” Craig said smiling at Button.

“We’ve found journaling can be helpful. We’ll keep monitoring his written assignments,” Mrs. Grant said. “It’s not like he’s doing poorly from what I can see. It’s just that he could get better at writing.”

“Okay. So, we should set aside some time for him to write a journal?” Graham asked, his lips quivering.

“If you’d like. Otherwise, he can keep a notebook with him and occasionally write down his thoughts. It should be private though. It’s just for practice,” Mrs. Grant said. “Mr. Holden, he’s really doing quite well.”

“Okay. I’m trying to help,” Graham said. Craig put a hand on his arm. The smaller man flashed him a jittery smile.

The counselor continued, “Physical development is good. We’re seeing him excel in phys. ed and music. I see he’s switching from clarinet to oboe?”

Button nodded enthusiastically. “I really like the sound of it.”

“Good. Well, as I said this won’t take much longer. Craig has some stress issues so when he’s feeling a little out of control, the special ed classroom will be a sanctuary. We do like students to pick a secondary site as well. Most choose the library or gym or even the nurse’s office. Craig? What room would you like as a place to go if you get upset?” Mrs. Grant asked.

“How about the band room?” Graham asked. “You didn’t mention that but he loves band so much.”

“That is an excellent suggestion,” Mrs. Grant said. “How do you feel about that Craig?”

Button sat up in his chair at that. “I think Pop’s right. I’d feel safe there.”

“Great. We’ll tell Mr. Latimer so he won’t have any surprises. Craig, you’re always welcome in the special ed room but I don’t think you need it as your home room. We’ll just see you when you want some help. Bring your written assignments by and we’ll check them out but that should be all for now.”

Button’s chin dropped.

“That’s it?” Craig said surprised. “We’ve never had such a short meeting before.”

“From what I’ve seen him achieve these past three years, Craig is doing very well. He’s self-motivated, his social skills are good, and his grades are pretty high. Except for needing the occasional safe space because of stress, I see no need for additional support. I’d say Craig is one of our successes,” Mr. Carpenter said.

Craig and Graham shook everybody’s hands and Button even hugged Mr. Carpenter. He had been worried that his little freakouts were going to be a problem but they weren’t. He could go to the band room if it got too bad. Button thought having homeroom with everyone else was pretty cool too.

He’d miss Andy though. There was always that.

“I think this calls for a celebration,” Graham said high-fiving Button.

“I guess so,” Craig agreed. “We should pick up Sarah and go to Cold Stone Creamery.”

“Can it just be us right now,” Button said biting his lip. “I have something to ask you guys.”

Craig and Graham looked at each other and nodded. This was another ‘Button talk.’

Ever since “The Party” incident, Button had made sure he talked with his fathers about things that required a serious decision. He had pulled them aside and asked about how to break up with Gennie. She was nice, he liked her, but just as a friend. Button listened to their advice and took it.

After Petey’s birthday party, he took them into the den and told them he had drank a beer, just one. Button wanted them to know so they wouldn’t worry about him.

Then Button had pulled Graham and Craig aside to talk about pot. A couple of his friends had invited him to smoke a joint. He asked them about it. He wasn’t sure how to handle it. After listening to their comments, he decided it wasn’t for him. Button said getting high wasn’t a good idea for him even if Graham said it wasn’t addictive.

The two men were really proud of him. Button had taken his mission to restore their trust in him to a higher level. Craig told him so repeatedly. Graham hugged him and said he was pleased with his maturity.

As they sat in the store and ate their ice cream, Button’s nervousness was obvious.

“What did you want to talk about?” Craig asked licking his plastic spoon.

“I think I love Carmel and I, well we want to, um, make love,” Button said his voice shaking.

Graham sat back and shook his head.

“Graham, hear him out,” Craig warned.

“You’re very young Craig,” Graham said trying not to shout.

“Lots of people in my class have had, er, made love,” Button said looking at his Pop warily. “How old were you when you first, um, did it?”

Graham squirmed in his seat. “We’re talking about you, not me.”

“That’s a good question Pop. How old were you when you first had sex?” Craig asked trying to hide his grin.

“I was eighteen,” Graham lied. He refused to let Craig bait him.

“I think it was very brave of our son to talk to us about it so be honest,” Craig said eating another spoonful. “I was your age by the way. How old were you Graham?”

“I was fifteen okay. But that’s different,” Graham said turning red. “I shouldn’t have done it. You only think you love Carmel. You should make sure it’s someone really special and not just get it over with.”

“Your Pop’s right about that. You should love a person before you take that step,” Craig said watching his husband’s discomfort ease.

“Did you love my mother when you made me?” Button asked looking down at his ice cream.

Craig looked at Graham and now it was he who was squirming. Graham shrugged.

“Well, no, not really, but it was a mistake,” Craig said quickly.

“I’m a mistake?” Button asked calmly. He had already talked this out with Andy. He knew his fathers couldn’t say no and not look foolish. Andy had been great at thinking up their responses. It was just as he predicted.

“Of course not. What your mother and me did was a mistake and…you’re just playing with us aren’t you?” Craig said looking at the shit eating grin on his son’s face.

“I’m not really playing. I promised you I’d earn your trust and I’m doing it,” Button said. “I don’t want to keep something like this a secret. Carmel’s parents are going out of town this weekend and she wants me to spend the night. I don’t want you to worry about me.”

Craig and Graham looked at each other. They were both really stuck. Button was being very rational about the whole thing.

“You can spend the night with your girlfriend if you want,” Craig said after seeing defeat in Graham’s eyes.

“I still think she’s not the right girl for you,” Graham said. “I’m going on the record with that one.”

“You just believe Sarah. She doesn’t like Carmel ‘cause Josie doesn’t like her,” Button said. “I really like her.”

The look that crossed Button’s face was so tender and open. Graham and Craig just sighed and finished their ice cream.

*********************

“Everything looks so nice Mary,” Graham said admiring the decorations. They were purple and gold, Vikings’ football colors, and even the tablecloths and napkins matched. There had to be at least a hundred people at the Minnetonka Country Club. The food had been amazing. He was impressed.

“Anything to mark my sweet Kevin’s next rite of passage,” Mary said. “I forgot; what did you do for Craig’s sixteenth?”

Graham seethed inside. Leave it to Mary Dooley to make this a contest. “We had a pool party for the kids.”

“Yes, it was a pool party wasn’t it. It was hot dogs and hamburgers with waterslides in the background. That was a pleasant afternoon,” Mary said smiling evilly at him.

“It was nothing compared to this shindig,” Craig said catching Graham’s eye. “Of course, the biggest difference is that the kids had fun. This is a snorefest.”

It was true. The kids were all dressed in suits and formal dresses. They were standing around talking quietly. Dinner had been a staid affair with white gloved waiters and five courses that ran on forever.

Graham chuckled at his husband’s remarks. Mary Dooley just looked at them with contempt.

“Not all events have to be laughter and frolicking,” she muttered. “I have other guests to attend to.”

“By all means,” Craig said raising an eyebrow. “We’ve kept you occupied long enough.”

Mary Dooley snorted and walked over to Josie’s moms. They looked over at Craig and Graham and grimaced. Graham gave them a thumb’s up and Craig waved.

As they looked about the room, the only person who seemed to be having a ball was Carmel. She was sitting at a table hanging on Button’s arm and chatting with a group of girls. Carmel looked like she was a queen holding court. Button looked uncomfortable and bored.

“You know she’s using him,” Graham heard behind him. It was Sarah. “She’s just using him to get votes for class president.”

“How is dating Button helping Carmel?” Craig asked in surprise.

“Josie heard her whispering with Shelly Norfolk. Button’s one of the most popular boys in their class. Carmel figured if she can date him until the election that all the band geeks and special ed kids will vote for her. She’s a real bitch,” Sarah scowled.

“You shouldn’t call people that,” Graham said. “Even when it’s true.”

Sarah giggled. Craig pushed his husband’s shoulder. “Don’t start things.”

“Someone should tell him,” Graham said thoughtfully. “Then maybe…”

“I told him. He doesn’t care. She shakes her butt and touches him and he melts,” Sarah said. “He has terrible taste.”

“If only we could get him to see the light,” Graham groused.

“It’s his decision and we agreed,” Craig said. He was making a face as well. The girl was one dye job away from bald.

“It’s hard watching such a train wreck,” Graham sighed.

“I know,” Craig agreed.

Sarah raced off to find her friends.

********************

“Craig? See if Petey has anything to put in my punch. If I’m going to be ready later, I’ll need a little touch of something to relax me,” Carmel said flashing her lashes at him.

Button swallowed and grabbed her cup. He made his way around the crowd of girls toward Petey’s table.

“Hey, buddy. Got any of your magic elixir?” Button whispered to his red haired friend.

“Sure. Is it for your special lady?” Petey chuckled. Josie rolled her eyes at him.

“That girl is a hot mess,” she said to the two boys. “Craig don’t go there tonight. You deserve much better.”

Button smiled at Josie and shook his head. “I really like her and I think it’s time.”

“I wish I was getting some of that,” Petey said elbowing Josie. “Are you ready yet to take the final step?”

Josie blushed. “I don’t think you’re ready yet, firecracker.”

Petey then blushed. “You just make me too excited.”

“Craig doesn’t wanna hear about that,” Josie shushed him.

“Hear about what?” Button asked.

“Nothing. Just tell me you’ll reconsider it. She’s bad news,” Josie said.

“I’m spending the night with her. It’s time.”

“Craig’s getting his game on,” Petey said high-fiving his friend.

Button took the cup from his friend, now with some rum in it, and walked back to Carmel.

As he neared, he drank in how truly beautiful she was. Her hair was a silky golden blonde. Carmel’s skin was a lovely tan color that accented her warm brown eyes. She was wearing a slinky, sexy floral print that showed off her delicious curves. Her breasts were ripe and full, almost spilling out of her neckline. Her smile was so beautiful and pure.

Carmel saw Button gazing at her and she licked her lips seductively. She had his number. It was written all over his face. He was into her. She only needed to get him a little closer and then next month he’d beg all his friends to vote for her. It was so easy getting boys to do what she wanted. All she had to do was give them a little incentive. Well, a lot of incentive.

She blew a kiss at him, her red lips pursed and inviting. Button smiled and blew one right back.

Yep. He was hooked.

Carmel returned to her friends and giggled a little.

Button handed Carmel her drink, but she didn’t even say thanks. He was about to sit when he saw a busser who looked familiar. He stood back up and watched as she cleared the table.

Could it be? Was it really?

Button excused himself and walked quickly toward the far tables. As he neared, he slowed. The young woman looked up like she could feel his eyes on her. She smiled and her eyes grew bigger.

“Mirabelle!” Button shouted and walked up to her. He still wasn’t quite sure but it had to be her.

“Craig!” she said excitedly. “Is that really you?”

“It is. How have you been?” Button asked. “What happened to you? You just disappeared.”

“Oh. My parents lost the store so we moved to California for a while. My dad got a job with an old pal so we moved back a few weeks ago. Sorry I didn’t say goodbye.”

“So you’re back. You’re here now?” Button gushed.

“I’m back,” she laughed.

Mirabelle looked so amazing. Her lush blond hair was pulled back into a ponytail. Her sparkling blue eyes were filled with happiness. Mirabelle’s lovely white skin glowed with the faintest blush as she looked at him. But it was her smile that was so touching. Button loved her smile. It was so serene and genuine. Mirabelle looked at him with such delight.

“You have to tell me all about it,” Button said. “I wanna know everything.”

“Craig. I’m working right now,” she said looking around embarrassed. “Give me your number and I’ll call you.”

“Sure,” Button said and wrote it out on a small square napkin. “You won’t forget?”

“I could never forget you,” she laughed. “I’ve missed our little talks.”

“I’ve missed you too,” Button said and hugged her. “It’s so good to see you.”

“You too,” she laughed. Her smile might be lovely but her laugh reached inside him. Button could feel the music of her laughter hit his gut. It was that powerful.

Button walked away completely dazed. He couldn’t believe it. As he made his way toward Carmel, he saw his fathers talking with Josie’s moms. They were all laughing and having a good time. This was the best party ever.

“Dad, Pop, Mirabelle’s here,” he said interrupting them.

“Mirabelle?” his dad asked. “Who’s that?”

“The girl that disappeared. You know, the one from the store,” Button couldn’t contain his glee.

“Oh, right. Mirabelle,” Graham said rolling his eyes.

“Can I ask her over for dinner?” Button said as the thought popped into his head. “I want you to meet her.”

“Sure. Don’t you think your girlfriend will get jealous?” Graham said. Craig shook his head.

“Mirabelle’s a friend. Carmel won’t mind,” Button said. As soon as he said it, he realized that wasn’t true. What’s more, he suddenly understood he really didn’t care much what Carmel thought regardless. That seemed to change everything.

As Button slowly walked toward the table, he really looked at Carmel. She wasn’t nearly as pretty as he’d thought. In fact, her hair was a strange color of yellow and it was like straw, stiff and prickly. Her skin was the color of pumpkins, not tan, not attractive. That dress she was wearing was too small. It showed all the places where her softness became flab. Carmel looked up at him and smiled but it wasn’t a nice smile.

Carmel’s smile was like that of a cat about to pounce on a toy. Ping had a look like that sometimes and it was nasty how he’d sink his teeth into a catnip filled ball and try to rip at it with his claws. Carmel looked like Ping when he was being brutal.

“Dad, I don’t feel so good,” Button said pulling Craig and Graham away from Nancy and Sally. “I think I should go home.”

“But, what about your plans with Carmel?” Craig asked gently.

“I think he has a fever,” Graham said touching his forehead. “Craig’s right. He’s getting sick.”

Craig looked at Graham bright eyed and then back at his son. “If you’re sure.”

“I’m not up for staying with Carmel tonight,” Button said. “I wanna go home.”

*******************

“Pop, you can’t tell any embarrassing stories, okay?” Button stood in the kitchen instructing Graham. “No poopy diaper stories or the time when I cried over the dead bird. She’s my friend and I don’t want you to make her uncomfortable.”

“I promise. No embarrassing stories. Jeez! You’d think we were having the Queen of England over for dinner or something,” Graham chuckled.

“Just be nice to her. This is important,” Button said. “Dad, are you listening?”

“Button, I promise to be on my best behavior,” Craig smiled.

“Don’t call me that name around her. Promise me,” he pleaded.

“Okay. Okay. Craig. Can we talk about ourselves or is that embarrassing too?” Craig said holding up his hands.

“Sarah!” he called out and ran into the other room. Craig and Graham listened to the list of rules he was giving his sister. By the time he finished, both men thought Sarah would need to wear a muzzle to get through this dinner.

“He sure is worked up about this girl,” Craig said.

“At least it cut him loose from that tramp,” Graham said stirring the spaghetti sauce.

“Sarah said Carmel had some choice words for him,” Craig said. “Carmel said she’s never been so humiliated in her life.”

“How could that be? It’s not like everyone knew about their evening plans.”

“Apparently, everyone did. Carmel had been bragging about it for a week. Button, I mean, Craig was her trophy boy and he got away.”

Graham snorted. “I’m just glad he dumped her.”

“Sarah, listen to me. You can’t call me that name or else…” Button begged as they entered the kitchen.

*******************

“That was a lovely meal Mr. Holden,” Mirabelle said daintily wiping her lips. “It was delicious.”

“Thank you Mirabelle,” Graham grinned. “It’s Button’s favorite.”

If a pin had dropped at that moment, it would have sounded like a gong. The entire room froze as Button turned to look at his Pop. Daggers flew from his eyes as he glared at Graham with fury.

“You promised.”

“I’m sorry Craig. Please excuse my wording, Mirabelle,” Graham said quickly. “It’s an old nickname we had when Craig was a baby. I slip up and call him that from time to time.”

Craig looked at the young lady to gauge her reaction. She smiled and began asking Button about how band was going. Everyone breathed.

Graham served dessert, a hazelnut torte, and Mirabelle gave him a dazzling smile. “My mom makes a delicious torte like this. It’s my favorite. Thanks.”

“I’m sure it’s not as good as your mother’s but I hope you like it,” Graham said.

“I’m sure it’s fine,” Button said through clenched teeth.

Graham quickly sat down and looked downcast.

“It’s delicious Gray,” Craig said catching his eye. Graham sheepishly grinned back.

Button and Mirabelle were in another world after dinner. They sat in the family room and talked and talked. Graham and Craig cleaned up the kitchen. Sarah hid in her room.

“I really should be going,” Mirabelle finally said. “It’s getting late and I have school in the morning.”

“I’m glad you came over,” Button said. “It’s good to see you.”

“It’s good to see you too. We should do this again,” Mirabelle said. “I’m way out in Minnetonka but that doesn’t mean I can’t come into Minneapolis once in a while.”

Button nodded once. “I missed you.” He said shyly. Mirabelle turned red at that.

“Your dads are really nice,” she said simply. “You’re very lucky.”

“I am,” he said. “Even if they do embarrass me sometimes.”

“Are you talking about the nickname?” Mirabelle said. She leaned closer and said into his ear, “Because it suits you. You are the cutest boy I’ve ever met.”

Button blushed as her breath caressed his ear. “Really?”

“Really. Can I call you Button too? ‘Cause I think you’re that special,” she said looking at him intently.

“I don’t mind if you do it,” Button stammered. “If you want.”

“I do want to, Button. I do like you that much.”

Craig took Mirabelle home and Graham gathered up his courage. He knocked on Button’s door.

“Enter,” he heard.

“Craig? I’m really sorry about that slip up I just-”

“Don’t worry Pop. She likes it. Mirabelle likes my nickname,” Button grinned.

“You like her don’t you?” Graham said relieved. “She’s very pretty.”

“She’s my friend,” Button said, but he couldn’t wipe the smile from his lips. “I’m glad she’s back.”

“It was nice meeting her. Are you going to ask her out?” Graham asked.

Button thought about it and shook his head. “I’m not sure. I like her as a friend.”

“That’s when it’s best son,” Graham said. “Your dad is my best friend.”

“Really?” Button said. “I never would have thought that.”

“Yeah. It’s best when you’re friends,” Graham said and left the puzzled boy.

*************

Button didn’t know what to think of Mirabelle. He liked her a lot but she was so precious that he couldn’t think of her like he did other girls. Button could imagine Carmel lying naked and calling his name. He could see Gennie’s slim, pliant body nude and beckoning him. Could he see Mirabelle like that? Button wasn’t sure he wanted to think of her that way. She was too special.

Next up, we go to a recital and later Andy surprises Button on his birthday!
Copyright © 2014 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 40
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Yeah! It was Mirabelle and Button didn't lose his virginity to a tramp. It's amazing how his character has developed so strongly. Many guys with his looks and popularity would have used them to screw as many women (or men) as possible. I'm happy that he's doing well and made the right choice.

 

I also forgot that he's a bit older than his peers due to his developmental delays. We finally see full proof of his progress given his IEP meeting (point of order though, was there a general education teacher present? It's required). Will 17 be the age he and Mirabelle lose their virginity? Maybe prom in 2 years? I'm still really looking forward to the next chapter. Finally how many chapters do you have planned? 18? 21?

 

Thanks!

Link to comment

this is one more beautifully written chapter that just walks off the page and lives a life all its own..........you have such a talent to tell a tale and make it seem so real and alive.

 

thanks for taking the time to wrire and share it with us

 

Bob

Link to comment

Always great to wake up on Sunday to another chapter of Button. Your topics are great, and your writing is the best. So real. Amazing how button has grown up in such a great atmosphere and turned out so well developed withe his developmental delay

Link to comment

This is a beautiful chapter that shows us that it's not all drama and angst raising

teens. I'm so happy that Mirabelle returned just in the nick of time to save Button

from the wicked slut. He's basically well-grounded, and that's about as much as

anyone can realistically expect from a child growing to adulthood! He deserves the

best, ...and he may just get it.

Link to comment
On 06/16/2014 12:52 AM, Rebelghost85 said:
Yeah! It was Mirabelle and Button didn't lose his virginity to a tramp. It's amazing how his character has developed so strongly. Many guys with his looks and popularity would have used them to screw as many women (or men) as possible. I'm happy that he's doing well and made the right choice.

 

I also forgot that he's a bit older than his peers due to his developmental delays. We finally see full proof of his progress given his IEP meeting (point of order though, was there a general education teacher present? It's required). Will 17 be the age he and Mirabelle lose their virginity? Maybe prom in 2 years? I'm still really looking forward to the next chapter. Finally how many chapters do you have planned? 18? 21?

 

Thanks!

I think his delayed development and his family make sure Button doesn't get too big for his britches. He's pretty well grounded.

 

You are so right about the general ed teacher being present. I think I'll have to update and introduce one. I'd forgotten about that requirement.

 

As to the length of the story, I just finished the rough draft of November 20th, and it is the final chapter of Button.

 

Thank you so much for the comments and the review Rebel! I'm glad you're so into the little guy, well not so little anymore.

Link to comment
On 06/16/2014 01:10 AM, quokka said:
Another great chapter.

keep up the great work

Thanks Quokka! I'm glad you're enjoying the story. I'm having a blast with it.
Link to comment
On 06/16/2014 01:41 AM, fiedlerbob101 said:
this is one more beautifully written chapter that just walks off the page and lives a life all its own..........you have such a talent to tell a tale and make it seem so real and alive.

 

thanks for taking the time to wrire and share it with us

 

Bob

Thank you so much Bob! I'm glad it's coming alive for you. This story has really helped me grow I think. Trying to encapsulate a year in an important event has made me dig deep and hone my writing.

I so appreciate your kind words.

Link to comment
On 06/16/2014 02:47 AM, Quiet man said:
Always great to wake up on Sunday to another chapter of Button. Your topics are great, and your writing is the best. So real. Amazing how button has grown up in such a great atmosphere and turned out so well developed withe his developmental delay
That means the world to me Quiet. I like that you look forward to this story. That really makes me feel good. Thanks so much for your review and support.
Link to comment
On 06/16/2014 02:57 AM, Stephen said:
This is a beautiful chapter that shows us that it's not all drama and angst raising

teens. I'm so happy that Mirabelle returned just in the nick of time to save Button

from the wicked slut. He's basically well-grounded, and that's about as much as

anyone can realistically expect from a child growing to adulthood! He deserves the

best, ...and he may just get it.

Thanks Stephen! Yeah, I couldn't have Button fall into the clutches of a girl like Carmel. It just wouldn't be right. I think Button is very grounded and working closely with his fathers has made him a little more careful. They aren't dating at this time. Button adores her but they're not together yet. We'll see when "Seventeen Year Old Virgin" comes out next Sunday. :)
Link to comment

It's wonderful to get glimpses into the life of a boy [now young man] and his family as he grows and matures. Button is fortunate to have two very loving fathers who do all they can to provide the encouragement and support both he and Sarah need. I think every teenage boy should have a "bratty" younger sister to help keep them from becoming to full of themselves.

The conversation between Button and his fathers about his plans to spend the night with his girlfriend was both touching and hilarious, if unlikely with most teens. I was glad to hear that Andy was still involved, helping to plot what to say.

Poor Kevin, his mother means well??? She obviously loves her son but geez. I pity his boyfriend.

Thrilled that Mirabelle is back, I think she and Button are great together. How disconcerting it must be for Button to realize that her friendship is more important than hormones. He's a lucky boy.

I'm glad that Button's first time was stalled. I know many of us become active to some degree in our teens but for Button I think a bit more time is a good thing. Carmel's plans would have been devastating for him.

Thanks Cole, for continuing to provide us with this story.

Link to comment
On 06/16/2014 09:31 PM, dughlas said:
It's wonderful to get glimpses into the life of a boy [now young man] and his family as he grows and matures. Button is fortunate to have two very loving fathers who do all they can to provide the encouragement and support both he and Sarah need. I think every teenage boy should have a "bratty" younger sister to help keep them from becoming to full of themselves.

The conversation between Button and his fathers about his plans to spend the night with his girlfriend was both touching and hilarious, if unlikely with most teens. I was glad to hear that Andy was still involved, helping to plot what to say.

Poor Kevin, his mother means well??? She obviously loves her son but geez. I pity his boyfriend.

Thrilled that Mirabelle is back, I think she and Button are great together. How disconcerting it must be for Button to realize that her friendship is more important than hormones. He's a lucky boy.

I'm glad that Button's first time was stalled. I know many of us become active to some degree in our teens but for Button I think a bit more time is a good thing. Carmel's plans would have been devastating for him.

Thanks Cole, for continuing to provide us with this story.

Thanks Dughlas for the terrific review. That's exactly it, they are glimpses which give the reader their own space to know Button. I'm glad Button and Andy's little gameplan was amusing. I was chuckling as I wrote it. Andy's an important part of his life.

 

I'm glad you like Mirabelle and Button's calling IT off. Sure, we boys can be overly eager and clumsy about sex but that doesn't mean it isn't real and special, especially the first time.

Thank you so much for reading and enjoying the story! :)

Link to comment

Boy! Mirabelle showed up in the niche of time. So glad she turned Button's head.

Kevin's mom is a piece of work and poor Kevin will be the one to suffer in the end. hopefully not.

Sarah is a little shit at times. LOL. That's what siblings are for. I had five. I should know.

I knew Button wouldn't have to do Sp.Ed. again. I just felt it. He's improved and grown into a delightful young mean. :)

Link to comment
On 06/17/2014 02:52 AM, joann414 said:
Boy! Mirabelle showed up in the niche of time. So glad she turned Button's head.

Kevin's mom is a piece of work and poor Kevin will be the one to suffer in the end. hopefully not.

Sarah is a little shit at times. LOL. That's what siblings are for. I had five. I should know.

I knew Button wouldn't have to do Sp.Ed. again. I just felt it. He's improved and grown into a delightful young mean. :)

I knew you'd like this chapter! Now you know about what happened to Mirabelle! Kevin's mom is too much. Sarah is just an open book and an open mouth. She loves.Her bro though. Thanks Jo Ann! Now youre up to speed. :)
Link to comment

Mirabelle coming back was a nice surprise, especially as it meant getting rid of Carmel, who really wasn´t good enough to be Button´s girlfriend.

Great chapter :thumbup:

Link to comment
On 06/18/2014 03:45 AM, Suvitar said:
Mirabelle coming back was a nice surprise, especially as it meant getting rid of Carmel, who really wasn´t good enough to be Button´s girlfriend.

Great chapter :thumbup:

Thanks Suvitar! No Carmel is bad news. Im glad you are enjoying it. Lots of big things coming yet. :)
Link to comment

Never trust a girl with a stripper name. Carmel ... ugh what a ... well I can't say that word. So glad Button got wise at the end and kicked the broad to the curb. I hate users and abusers. She falls into both catergories.

So excited about Button reconnecting with Mirabelle. Whether they are meant to be together, time will tell. But I like that the author challenges the readers' notions of what friendship and relationships are. Men can be friends with women. Men can be with other men in a fulfulling relationship much like a man can be with a woman. Parents who are gay can raise well-adjusted children. Straight men and gay men can have friendships without there being something going on beyond friendship.

Overall this was a great chapter!

Link to comment
On 07/20/2014 04:32 AM, Bryce Lee said:
Never trust a girl with a stripper name. Carmel ... ugh what a ... well I can't say that word. So glad Button got wise at the end and kicked the broad to the curb. I hate users and abusers. She falls into both catergories.

So excited about Button reconnecting with Mirabelle. Whether they are meant to be together, time will tell. But I like that the author challenges the readers' notions of what friendship and relationships are. Men can be friends with women. Men can be with other men in a fulfulling relationship much like a man can be with a woman. Parents who are gay can raise well-adjusted children. Straight men and gay men can have friendships without there being something going on beyond friendship.

Overall this was a great chapter!

Those are definitely points I meant to convey. I also wanted the reader to get a sense of the shift in perspective. Button sees Carmel as perfect until compared with Mirabelle. I hope that came through as well. Thanks Bryce! I'm so glad you liked it! :)
Link to comment

Wow! You get a lot of reviews and I think that's because you very good about interacting with those who make comments. It's great! Well done! Both for the interaction and the great writing. Of course, you get lots of reviews cos you write so well too. I loved the way you showed up Carmel in Button's eyes. He just needed to see the real gem to compare and his eyes were opened. Bingo! And now he wants to put Mirabelle on a pedestal (she won't be pleased about that though if she ever comes to understand that). Hopefully he'll come down to earth on this and be able to get a balance so that he's not seeing her as untouchable and too perfect. Funny how we do that. It brings back vivid memories and painful ones! Haha! That's because you get this so well and convey it so realistically. I love it. Thanks again for the great job.

Link to comment
On 07/20/2014 09:54 PM, Jaro_423 said:
Wow! You get a lot of reviews and I think that's because you very good about interacting with those who make comments. It's great! Well done! Both for the interaction and the great writing. Of course, you get lots of reviews cos you write so well too. I loved the way you showed up Carmel in Button's eyes. He just needed to see the real gem to compare and his eyes were opened. Bingo! And now he wants to put Mirabelle on a pedestal (she won't be pleased about that though if she ever comes to understand that). Hopefully he'll come down to earth on this and be able to get a balance so that he's not seeing her as untouchable and too perfect. Funny how we do that. It brings back vivid memories and painful ones! Haha! That's because you get this so well and convey it so realistically. I love it. Thanks again for the great job.
Thanks Jaro! I try to interconnect with my readers as much as possible. I think it makes my writing better. It is a two way street.

 

I'm glad the perspective shift came through. It was my favorite part of the chapter. Don't we all have that epiphany from time to time? That which we adore suddenly becomes thread born in the light of some revelation.

You'll see in the next chapter how the Madonna Complex resolves itself. I'm glad this is reading realistically. I like it to feel that way. I thank you for helping me enjoy this story again through your eyes. Feels really good. :)

Link to comment

" Snorefest" I loved that! I don't get the competitive nature of some parents about their kids. If you want your kids to be happy, you don't set an example of trying to outdo the next guy...you are never satisfied that way...and why would you strive to make other parents kids feel inadequate. I am not a socialist except where parenting is concerned...all parents should feel a responsibility for all the children within their sphere.

 

So glad to see Button come to his senses. It is so easy to see what you want to in a person, especially when you are looking for someone. All it takes is to be reminded about what a real connection with genuineness feels like ...namely Mirabel. Button's quickness to anger after Graham's slip, shows the difficulty that his parents work everyday to overcome. The fact that they are successful shows that you should never give up. Greatness again Cole...thank you...Gary

Link to comment
On 09/29/2014 11:23 AM, Headstall said:
" Snorefest" I loved that! I don't get the competitive nature of some parents about their kids. If you want your kids to be happy, you don't set an example of trying to outdo the next guy...you are never satisfied that way...and why would you strive to make other parents kids feel inadequate. I am not a socialist except where parenting is concerned...all parents should feel a responsibility for all the children within their sphere.

 

So glad to see Button come to his senses. It is so easy to see what you want to in a person, especially when you are looking for someone. All it takes is to be reminded about what a real connection with genuineness feels like ...namely Mirabel. Button's quickness to anger after Graham's slip, shows the difficulty that his parents work everyday to overcome. The fact that they are successful shows that you should never give up. Greatness again Cole...thank you...Gary

Thanks Gary! Yes, once you see the genuine, the tawdry becomes quite obvious. Button is at a difficult age for everyone, parents included. I always feel bad for parents of teens, and the teens as well. Both sides try but figuring things out isn't easy. Glad you're enjoying it.
Link to comment

Button, I mean, Craig was  - Button, I mean Craig, was'   This was a hard sentence to punctuate -- do isolate the proper noun, but put the comma in the best place to have the pause.

 

I have not been adding comments to the list as the story went along because I find those comments listed, and your responses to them, echo my feelings very well. I recognize the humor of a 'straight' sixteen-year-old boy 'coming out' to gay parents, the reverse of the gay boy coming out to straight parents. You have written it in a very subtle manner, but role reversal adds a veneer of humor to the process. Congratulations on a very well written tale. I have read each year's progress avidly.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..