Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Button - 17. Seventeen Year Old Virgin

Button and Sarah play something special for Graham and Craig. We find out something interesting about Andy and how he feels about things.

Seventeen Year Old Virgin

The crowd settled in, and Craig looked at Graham nervously. Tessa smiled at him from the other side of his husband. His mother, Sandy put a hand on his arm.

“They’re gonna do great,” she whispered to him. “You’ll see.”

Craig just nodded, he wasn’t sure his voice would stay steady. He looked around at the crowd. There was a significant number of people given it was a school competition. Craig had been expecting a couple dozen people in the audience but not this many. He saw Natalie and her son Andy but their presence wasn’t surprising. Petey and his parents were to the left in the other bank of seats. Button’s band teacher was there in the front. Sarah’s piano teacher was sitting on the edge of her seat.

“Do you know what they’re gonna play?” Graham asked quietly, his voice full of anxiety.

Craig cleared his throat. “I don’t have a clue,” he whispered back. “All Button would say was it was a surprise.”

Before them was an upright piano with a bench. Beside the piano was a single chair. It was the Region-State competition for music. The reviews were being held in Hutchinson which was an hour from the Twin Cities. They’d gotten up early to drive here. A full day of listening to various students of music play their instruments had been interesting, some better than others.

“Sarah just killed it with her song,” Graham said. “She’s gotten so good.”

“I know. It was amazing listening to her after all this time. Hearing her play before an audience is so different than listening to her practice,” Craig said.

“When does this start?” Leroy asked too loudly. Several people looked over at them in surprise.

“Would you keep it down?” Sandy snarled impatiently but Craig could see her squeeze his father’s hand. It was good to see them together again. They were still officially divorced but their relationship had been getting better over the past couple of years. Leroy wouldn’t miss a single game or program that Button performed. He went to all of Sarah’s recitals and the play where she’d had a small part.

Sandy had been at his side each and every time.

Craig thought it was sweet seeing his parents get along. Graham laughed at him when he suggested that Button and Sarah had been good for them. His sisters’ kids had the same kinds of school events so it wasn’t surprising they’d end up spending time together. Graham believed, and had strongly argued, that Button and Sarah had made a difference. Craig just smiled and nodded. He didn’t care what the cause was. It was just good seeing them together again.

“We will now be entertained by a musical variation performed by Craig Corrigan accompanied by his sister Sarah. Usually we announce the song selection but I’ve been asked by the performers to keep it a surprise. It’s an anniversary gift for their parents,” the balding judge said. He smiled at Craig and Graham and then nodded respectfully.

“What’s he talking about?” Graham said softly.

Craig didn’t have time, or the information, to answer as Button and Sarah walked in. Sarah sat on the bench behind the piano and Button sat in the chair. The two of them looked at each other and nodded. Button looked up at the crowd. Craig could swear the boy had a smirk on his face as his sister began to play.

It was the playful, soulful arpeggios of “Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring.”

Craig’s eyes filled with tears. Graham grabbed his hand.

After the first stanza of the song, Button joined the piano’s urgent, steady glee copying the top note of the melody. The oboe danced in close step with the piano. It was just like at Craig and Graham’s wedding.

Then, Button began playing a counter melody, a variation that seemed to follow the piano’s melody playfully. It was almost like a round, the oboe chased the arpeggios with their own feeling. Some of the notes almost sounded in discord but they’d resolve the tension with a quick jump to harmony.

Sarah’s played the Bach song exactly as it had been written. Button’s oboe made it alive. His notes didn’t change the song, they enhanced it.

Craig looked to Graham as the performers played the last note. The smaller man was clinging to his hand and almost whimpering in his happiness. The look on Graham’s face was magical and Craig wiped his eyes dry.

“That was amazing,” he said. “I can’t believe they did that.”

“Best gift ever,” Graham choked out.

“I can’t believe your children did that for you,” Sandy said softly. There were tears on her lashes as well.

“You must be very proud,” Leroy muttered after he cleared his throat.

The applause rang through the large classroom. Craig stood up and joined in. Button and Sarah stood and bowed. Craig could have sworn they both winked at him.

****************************

“So who’s it gonna be this weekend at you’re birthday party?” Andy asked looking up from his book.

“I don’t know what you mean,” Button answered. He was finishing up his advanced algebra homework and completely engaged with the problem.

“Who’s gonna be your arm candy for the week?” Andy asked grinning broadly. Ever since his best bud and Carmel had broken up, Button had been on a rampage. He’d gone out with Gennie again but that had fizzled out. A series of the prettiest girls in school had followed each only lasting a couple weeks at best.

“I was thinking about Amanda,” Button teased. “But I know you’ve got your eye on her.”

Andy scowled at him. “Amanda is my friend and you’d better not…”

“I’m just kidding around Andy. I wouldn’t do that to you.”

“She’s just a good friend,” Andy muttered and went back to his homework. He was clearly not happy though.

“So when are you going to get over yourself?” Button asked as he put his pencil down. “It’s obvious you two are an item. Why don’t you just ask her out?”

Andy pushed the book away from him. “I don’t know how I feel about her,” he answered honestly. “I can’t just go out with a girl if I don’t know. I’m not like you.”

Button considered what Andy was saying. It was kind of pissing him off.

“You’ll never know how you feel about a girl until you go out and get to know her.”

“Then you seem to know a lot of girls in this school really well,” Andy grinned at his friend. “You’ve become the tramp of South High.”

“Shut up! I’m not that bad,” Button said but he was grinning too.

“You are that bad,” Andy said quietly. He’d never even kissed a girl and yet Button was like a wild man working his way through the sophomore and junior classes like he had a mission.

“After Gennie and I, well, lost the big ‘V,’ I’m just exploring my options,” Button said. “It’s a lot of fun. You should try it.”

“What about Mirabelle?” Andy asked thoughtfully. “You talk about her all the time.”

“She’s different. She’s my friend,” Button said. “Don’t talk about her that way.”

“What way?” Andy asked. He leaned forward and nudged his friend. “I just wondered why you haven’t asked her out yet.”

“Mirabelle’s special. I couldn’t do that to her,” Button said.

“I’m confused. Why can’t you go out with her?” Andy asked stubbornly.

“I don’t think of her that way. She’s not like other girls. Besides, she lives all the way out in Minnetonka,” Button answered.

“She likes you. You talk to her on the phone all the time. Why not ask her out?”

Button was getting pissed Andy wouldn’t let this go. Mirabelle was his best girl friend. He could tell her any and everything. It was frustrating that Andy would refer to her as dating material. In his experience over the past year, girls were very good at making him feel good. He loved the conquest and exploring their bodies but Mirabelle was far too special to be subjected to that.

“I’m inviting Mirabelle to the party. We just don’t have that kind of relationship,” Button said firmly. “Now, I want to know if you’re asking Amanda or not?”

“I don’t know,” Andy said. “She doesn’t like me that way.”

“You’ll never know if you don’t try,” Button advised. “It’s gonna be a crazy party.”

Andy nodded. These parties always were. Only it was usually him sitting in a corner watching the others in various stages of make out sessions while he read a book.

It was embarrassing. The whole time he wondered what it would feel like to have someone kiss him. How would it feel to have someone who looked at him with passion instead of disgust.? Actually, Andy could only think of one person who looked at him kind of like that. It made him wonder…

**************************

“Can’t we just go together as friends,” Brent whined. Kevin was getting tired of his best friend’s neediness.

“We’ve gone over this a million times. You’re my best friend. I just don’t want to date you.”

“You’re still in love with Craig aren’t you?” Brent pouted. He watched as Kevin pulled his geometry book from his locker. This tack always got a rise out of him.

“You’re just jealous,” Kevin laughed.

“He’s never gonna date you,” Brent said once again.

“And I’m never gonna date you,” Kevin answered him. “Just move on okay.”

“Do you know what the guys call you?” Brent asked.

“What now?” Kevin asked exasperated with this conversation. Brent knew him too well. It was uncomfortable enough as it was.

“They call you ‘The Substitute’ Kevin. When they don’t get what they want from their girlfriends, they know they can call you,” Brent said angrily. “It pisses me off.”

“Do you have any idea how annoying it is to have you sniffing around me all the time? You’re getting really creepy Brent. I thought you’d get over the idea of ‘us’ but you can’t. You’re obsessed with me,” Kevin said through clenched teeth. “I’m done hanging around with you. It makes my skin crawl thinking of what you imagine about me all the time. I see you watching every move I make and it’s sick. Just leave me the fuck alone.”

Kevin slammed his locker shut and marched away. Brent couldn’t stop the tears welling in his eyes. Now he’d finally pushed Kevin away. He was so stupid. He needed to talk to someone. Brent figured there was only one person who understood how he felt. It was strange how close they’d gotten. He’d never have guessed but he had dreams about him. Vivid ones.

As Kevin turned the corner, Brent couldn’t help but think, ‘Physician, heal thyself.”

*****************

The lunch table was crowded as usual. Button and his friends were comparing notes about the upcoming party on Saturday. It was his seventeenth birthday and his fathers had agreed to big shindig.

They were all really excited, except Andy and Jamar. Andy was alone as usual and Jamar’s girlfriend couldn’t come. She’d been grounded again.

“Who’re you gonna ask?” Petey queried Button carefully.

“We’ll see. You and Josie are coming together right?” Button asked. He already knew the answer to that. Josie and Petey were a match made in heaven.

“Duh!” Petey groaned but there was a twinkle in his eye. “What about you Andy?”

“I asked Amanda,” Andy said quietly.

“What did she say?” Button asked eagerly.

“She said yes,” Andy smiled. “I may not die a virgin after all.”

“Hey! No one’s using the utility room except for me and my date,” Button joked. “I’m not sharing.”

“I don’t need it. I’ll be coming to the party stag,” Jamar grunted.

“You can have Kevin then,” Petey laughed. “I’m sure he’d love to get some of your sweet loving.”

“Yuck! Why is he invited?” Jamar chuckled. “He’s getting really weird.”

“I know but Brent’s coming so I can’t really exclude him,” Button said shaking his head.

“They’re not speaking anymore,” the new guy Jake said. “Brent’s pissed at him anyway.”

“Really?” Petey said in surprise. “That’s hard to believe.”

“No. Really. Brent said he was tired of Kevin’s antics,” the blonde haired boy said. Jake was very quiet usually and no one knew his deal. He’d made out with Gennie at the last party but they weren’t going out. Sexual politics in their sophomore year of high school were a complicated set of circumstances.

“Do you think I should uninvite Kevin?” Button asked.

“That’s hard to do,” Petey said. “But, who is Brent bringing?”

“I don’t know. If it’s not Kevin and Brent, it’s a mystery to me,” Oscar said. “I’m bringing Katelyn.”

“Finally hooked her huh?’ Button chuckled.

“Not yet but if you’ll let me use that utility room…”

“Not gonna happen dude. Not gonna happen. I might let Andy if he gets lucky.”

The dirty blonde haired boy turned seventeen shades of red.

The boys quickly arranged their affairs. Button’s birthday party would be the cover. As the guests arrived and they began eating, Oscar and Katelyn, Andy and Amanda would get the first shift. They’d sneak to the basement for a little make out session and then fifteen minutes later the next shift of couples would go down. That way Craig’s parents wouldn’t miss all the kids at once.

It was an ingenious plot that had worked well in the past with other parties. There was no reason to believe it wasn’t fool proof.

******************

“And you are?” Graham asked as the pretty brown haired girl offered her hand.

“I’m Julie. Craig invited me,” she said smiling.

“Of course. Aren’t you Gennie’s best friend?” he asked confused.

“I am. Gennie couldn’t make it,” she lied. Gennie hadn’t been asked and was heartbroken.

“Come and join the others in the family room. We’re about to start eating,” Graham said gesturing to the other room. “I think almost everyone is here.”

“Hi Jewels,” Button said walking right towards her. “I was hoping you’d come.”

“Wouldn’t have missed it,” she said grinning at him.

“We’re about to have sloppy joes and snacks,” he said taking her hand.

Jewels let him guide her toward the family room which was crowded with kids from school. Petey was hanging on Josie like he always did. Oscar was talking excitedly to Katelyn, one of her friends. Jamar was standing in the corner looking woe-be-gone. His girlfriend was nowhere to be seen. Jewels didn’t hang around Cassie and her friends. They were a little too snooty for her.

Amanda and Andy were awkwardly standing together by the pop coolers. He looked petrified. Amanda was looking down at the floor her pale brown hair hanging over her face. Music was playing and a large blonde man was busy carrying in platters of relishes and cheeses. He smiled at her and she knew in an instant, this was Craig’s dad. Craig’s smile was exactly the same with a little bit of mischief lurking right behind.

That’s what Gennie had fallen in love with, Craig’s devilish smirk. Jewels thought maybe this plan would jolt Craig into realizing what he was missing.

As she was taking stock of the situation, she heard Craig say, “Mirabelle, you came!” He released her hand and Jewels shook it out getting the feeling of him off of her.

The boy was fawning all over the girl in the cheap Target dress with long stringy blonde hair. She was small, delicately featured and wasn’t wearing any makeup except for a little lip gloss. Jewels wondered why Craig was so thrilled about with her arrival. She was tawdry. It was the word her mother would use and it fit.

Then the girl smiled. The smile she gave Craig was so powerful that he responded in kind. Now Jewels could see what charms the girl held over him.

“Jewels, this is my friend Mirabelle. She lives out in Minnetonka,” Craig gushed. “She’s originally from Poland.”

“Button, you don’t have to tell everyone that,” Mirabelle giggled. Jewels noted her voice was almost musical. Her accent was delicate, like her features. Craig was clearly smitten with her. He didn’t even blink an eye when she called him that ridiculous nickname his fathers had for him. Everybody knew it of course. But no one ever said it to him. With Mirabelle, he didn’t even seem to notice.

“Nice to meet you. How do you know Craig?” Jewels asked watching the other girl’s face carefully.

“We became friends years ago when he’d come to my parents’ convenience store. He’d help me stock the shelves,” Mirabelle said.

“Interesting,” Jewels said. Craig was grinning like an idiot staring at her like she was a china doll. His hands kept reaching for Mirabelle but then he’d stop.

“We lost touch for a while but then we met again by accident. Now we talk all the time,” the girl said looking at him longingly. Jewels could see Mirabelle was as taken with Craig as he was with her. Suddenly, the great plan she and Gennie had concocted seemed pointless.

“It’s good to meet you,” Jewels said. “Craig, should we get some food?”

“Um, sure,” Button said clearly annoyed. “We should eat. Mirabelle, after you.”

“No. The guest of honor and his date should go first,” she said.

“We’re not dating,” Jewels said shaking her head.

Craig looked at her, his head tilted to the side. “Oh!” he said.

“But I’ll sit with you,” Jewels said. “Mirabelle can join us.”

“Okay,” the blonde girl said and they walked over to the food.

The three of them piled their plates high with food and went to sit at a card table. There was an open seat and soon a brown haired boy with pale blue eyes sat there.

“This is my cousin Jamie. Jamie, this is Jewels my, um, friend. This is Mirabelle.” Craig shifted in his chair.

“Hi Jewels,” he said. Jamie’s voice was a deep baritone. He had smooth, tanned cheeks which were odd given the season. He must have gone on spring break somewhere.

“This is the famous Mirabelle,” he said extending his hand. Jewels noticed Craig was looking at his cousin with a faint look of disapproval. His cheeks were red and he was breathing hard. As Mirabelle shook Jamie’s hand, Craig’s left cheek bunched up. Jewels could see he was very upset.

“You’re the famous Jamie that Button always talks about,” Mirabelle said in return. “You guys are pretty close huh?”

“I don’t know about that,” Jamie said grinning. “I live in South Dakota but we see each other a couple times a year at least.”

“He rides horses with you?” Mirabelle asked.

“Yeah. Do you like to ride?” Jamie asked.

Jewels could see this was about to get ugly. “Jamie,” she said touching his arm. “I’ve always wanted to go riding. Tell me about it.”

Craig looked at her in surprise. Jewels winked and leaned closer to his cousin.

Mirabelle forgotten, Jamie started telling her all about the farmstead.

Mirabelle had already turned and engaged Button who was beaming from ear to ear. ‘Jamie is handsome but her friend was so much more,’ she thought.

After the two couples finished their meals, the conversation cooled. Jewels noticed Oscar and Katelyn came in from the hallway. Katelyn’s shirt was a little wrinkled and Oscar’s face was flush. The boy’s usually perfectly combed hair was sticking up in the back.

“Wonder where they were?” Jewels asked looking at Button. He blushed and said nothing.

“Jamie, are you just here for the weekend?” Jewels asked him.

“Yeah. My brother and parents are staying in the basement here. Uncle Graham and Uncle Craig finished off one side with a couple of guest rooms. There’s a rec room as well,” Jamie answered. His face was getting red as well. Button told him about the basement visits but it wasn’t on the finished side.

“I’d love to see it,” Jewels purred and winked at Button. The boy just nodded forlornly.

“There’s not much to see,” Jamie stammered. This was Craig’s date and here he was cock blocking him.

“I bet we could find something to look at,” Jewels whispered in Jamie’s ear. “Come with me.”

Jamie shrugged and Button gestured with his head. It really didn’t bother him. As long as he could talk with Mirabelle, he was content. He watched as Petey and Josie also made their way toward the hallway. Andy was sulking in the corner and Amanda was nowhere to be seen. Button did notice Jamar talking with Sarah over in the corner. It irked him to see his sister was giggling and touching his friend’s arm.

Mirabelle’s voice broke him away from everything. “I’m glad they left because I have a question for you. It’s a personal question,” Mirabelle said looking at him intently.

“Sure. What’s the question?” Button asked. He looked worried.

“Why haven’t you ever asked me on a date?” she asked shyly.

Button felt his world shift. He stuttered, “We’re friends and I, um, I guess I never thought of you that way.”

“Really? Never?” Mirabelle gently touched his hand.

“No. You’re just so perfect and I’m this…”

“I think about you sometimes,” she said. “Sometimes at night after we’ve gone to a movie or went out to eat, I think about your eyes. You have very beautiful eyes, bright blue.”

Button squirmed on his chair. Her words had suddenly opened a torrent in him. “I never knew.”

“I think about touching your face and wonder how your lips feel,” she said. “You’ve never wondered?”

Button was now. All he could think about was kissing her, feeling her softness next to him. His mind raced to embrace her body next to his, moving against him, legs tangled.

“Would you really go out with me?” he squeaked. His voice, like his trousers, was very tight.

“I’d love to go out on a real date with you,” she said. “All you’d have to do is ask.”

Button couldn’t get the words out fast enough. His vision of her as a perfect, pure woman untouchable and unobtainable was shattered. In its place, a new Mirabelle was forming. This Mirabelle was calling his name and touching his chest.

“Craig!” he heard his pop call. “It’s time to blow out the candles. Where are Petey, Josie and Jamie?”

“I don’t know,” Button said shaking his head. “Let’s wait a few minutes.”

“Grandma T needs to go soon,” his dad said loudly. “She wants to see you open your presents.”

“Just a minute,” Button said. He needed to settle down first. Mirabelle touched his face and sighed.

“Craig, I’ll see where everyone is,” Mirabelle said approaching the big blonde man. “I’ll get them. I made Button ask me out. He’s still figuring things out I think.”

Craig looked at Mirabelle and nodded. What was that all about?

“Button. Come over here…” Graham said.

Craig came up behind his husband and hugged him close. He softly said, “I think Mirabelle informed him they’re in love. He’s trying to process that.”

“Oh,” Graham said. “It’s about time.”

“He’s as clueless as his dad,” Craig laughed. “If you hadn’t told me I loved you, I never would’ve known.”

“No,” Graham chuckled. “You wouldn’t have.”

Mirabelle returned and soon thereafter a red faced Jamie, a disheveled Josie, and a very happy Petey came walking in. Graham noticed Jewels walked in after them and her lipstick had been freshly reapplied.

“Where were you guys?” Craig asked with a grin.

“I think they were checking out the basement,” Graham answered.

“What’s in the basement?” Leroy asked.

“Craig and Graham put in a pool table. You know that,” Sandy said laughing.

“Playing some pool were ya?” Leroy smiled.

“I doubt the balls they were playing with needed racking,” Sandy whispered to him.

“Horny teenagers huh?” Leroy laughed. “Maybe we should sneak down and play pool.”

Sandy giggled and slapped him.

********************

After the presents were opened and the cake was eaten, most of the adults left. Button was glued to Mirabelle’s side the entire time. Since she’d told him how she felt, he couldn’t get close enough to her. She was just as eager but now that their basement plot had been revealed, none of the couples went down there again.

“Andy. What happened to Amanda?” Button asked. Andy was clearly upset. He’d been avoiding the group all afternoon long.

“She went home a while ago,” he groused.

“It didn’t go so well?” Button asked quietly. Mirabelle pulled on his hand.

“Not really. She’s not into me,” Andy said softly. “S’okay though.”

Button didn’t know what to say. His best friend was clearly upset.

“Hey, Andy. Did you see that new ‘Revolutions’ movie?” Button heard from behind him.

“Yeah. It was really good,” Andy said perking up a little.

“I wanna go see it but I haven’t had the chance,” Brent said. “Tell me; is it like the comic book? I’ve got the glossy book version.”

“You do?” Andy brightened up. “That’s cool. Do you think I could see it sometime?”

“Sure,” Brent said. His cheeks were rosy with excitement. “How was it different?”

Brent and Andy were such nerds. Button listened to the two of them talk for a while. As he looked around, he noticed Jamar was gone. Had he left without saying goodbye? That was weird.

“What up?” he heard Mirabelle say. He turned to look at her and Button’s ponderings were erased.

“Hello,” he said shyly.

“Wanna show me the basement?” she asked.

“Dad and Pop will know what we’re up to.”

“I don’t think they’ll care. Your fathers like me,” she said.

Button gulped and nodded. He followed her to the hallway.

******************

“Did Andy leave?” Craig asked Button as he and Mirabelle came up from the basement. “Natalie’s on the phone wondering if she should pick him up.”

“I can give him a ride,” Button said. “I haven’t seen him though.”

“While you were downstairs, most of your friends left,” Graham said. “I hope you had fun playing pool.”

Button just snorted at his pop and Mirabelle blushed.

“Do you think Andy’s in my room playing a game?” Button asked.

“We looked there. He’s nowhere to be found,” Craig shrugged. “Maybe he’s talking with Sarah. She disappeared too.”

“He was pretty upset,” Mirabelle said frowning. “I hope he’s okay. He looked so sad.”

“I’m sure he’s okay. Brent had him all worked up about some comic book movie. Maybe Brent’s giving him a ride home.” Button said.

“Let’s get this place cleaned up,” Graham said. “I’ve got most of the dishes done but we need to put the card tables and chairs away.”

“I’ll help,” Mirabelle offered.

“You don’t have to do that,” Craig said with a grin.

“I’d love to help,” she said. They quickly took down the folding tables and chairs and headed for the basement. When Button and Mirabelle got to the utility room door he was surprised to find it locked.

“I’ll get the key,” he said. “Just wait a minute.” Button kissed her and ran up the stairs.

“Pop, did you lock the utility room for some reason,” Button asked as he rifled through the junk drawer for the keys.

“No, though I should have given what you and your friends were up to this afternoon,” he teased.

“Come on Pop. It’s not like I haven’t seen you and Dad make out before,” Button said.

“We’re married,” Graham said but let the topic drop. Picking the battles was the most important thing he could do.

Button found the key and raced down the basement steps. He unlocked the door and pushed it open.

Andy looked up from the floor. Underneath him was a shirtless Brent. Both boys were red faced and hair messed. Brent had an angry looking hickey on his neck. Andy looked sheepish.

“Oh!” Mirabelle exclaimed. “Sorry,” and she slammed the door shut.

“That’s a shock,” Button said.

“I guess,” Mirabelle said and they heard the roar of Graham’s voice upstairs.

“Get out here right now young lady!”

“What’s going on now?” Button said and they ran up the stairs.

As they got to the top of the stairs, they saw Sarah and Jamar standing in front of Dad and Pop. Pop was as red faced as Sarah. Jamar looked like he wanted to crawl out of his skin. Dad was fuming and pacing the floor.

“Dude, that’s my sister,” Button said shaking his head. “That’s so uncool.”

Sarah’s neck had a red mark, not unlike Brent. Jamar looked back at him and mouthed, ‘sorry.’

****************

“So is Andy gay?” Mirabelle asked Button over the phone. She’d gotten the scoop from Brent as he gave her a ride home to the suburbs after the party. Button drove Andy to a restaurant and had grilled him for details.

“He doesn’t know. Andy said he’s ‘gay for Brent’ whatever that means.”

“Brent’s a little worried,” she said. “He’s afraid Andy is gonna play around with him and then dump him like Kevin did.”

“Andy’s not like that. I don’t think he’d have kissed Brent without feeling something deeper. That’s what’s bothered him these past years. He doesn’t want to just kiss someone. He wants it to be special.”

“Brent was pretty excited,” Mirabelle giggled. “Andy’s all he talked about.”

“I’m pretty surprised. Brent used to be Andy’s biggest enemy.”

“Brent realized he was looking for the wrong thing. He said his obsession with Kevin was screwing up his thinking. After Kevin used him, he decided he wanted a real relationship not a cute boyfriend.”

“But Andy?” Button asked. “Don’t get me wrong. I’m really happy for my best bud but Brent? He’s as shallow as a mud puddle.”

“I don’t know. He’s pretty into Andy. Brent said he’s got a rocking body,” Mirabelle laughed.

“He’s been working out for some time now. I guess I never saw Andy as cute like that. I’ve always worried about him more than anything.”

“Andy’s like your brother. Of course you don’t see him that way. He’s not the most handsome boy in school but he’s so sweet and innocent. There is something quite attractive about that. Brent likes that about him.”

“I guess,” Button said. “I hope he doesn’t get hurt.”

“If what Brent was telling me was true, it’s not Andy who may get hurt. It sounded like Brent’s falling in love with him. Did you know they’ve been spending afternoons together at Brent’s house?” Mirabelle asked.

“You’re kidding me,” Button said. “I guess I’ve been out of the loop.”

Button was silent for a moment as he thought about what Andy had told him.

“Button, I finally got a real kiss. He likes me. He really likes me and it feels so good.”

“I guess. Enough about them. So when are you taking me out?” Mirabelle asked breaking him out of his revelry.

Button swallowed hard. “How about right now?” he asked.

“I just got home from the party silly,” Mirabelle said.

“I already miss you.”

“I miss you too,” she said after a pause. “I’ll be ready in twenty minutes.”

“I’m getting in the car right now,” Button said.

He threw on a coat and got his keys. Button waved at his fathers who were deep in conversation with Sarah.

“Where are you going?” his dad asked him.

“I’m going to pick up Mirabelle,” he answered with a big grin.

“She just left,” Pop said scowling.

“It’s been too long,” Button said cryptically. “I need to see her again.”

Craig and Graham watched as he disappeared out the door.

As Button drove out to Minnetonka, he thought about Andy and Brent, he and Mirabelle. This whole dating thing was so weird. He liked the other girls he’d gone out with but Mirabelle was so different. Button realized he thought about her all the time. With other girls, he could see them, kiss them, and when they were apart, the feelings went away. Not so with Mirabelle. He couldn’t stop thinking about her, especially now that they’d kissed.

He wondered if that was how Andy felt about Brent. It was doubtful. Andy just wanted to have a real kiss. He couldn’t have those kinds of feelings for Brent Jacobs. That was crazy.

Button has a revelation. Sometimes the relationships others have are different than you imagined. Finding out how wrong you are is like an eighteen wheeler hitting you, knocking you right outta your shoes.
Copyright © 2014 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 32
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The double standard of Button and Sarah's relationships got Craig and Graham into hot water I see. The dads need to figure out a fair solution or Sarah is going to rebel (although it's going to happen anyway).

 

I hope that Brent and Andy work out or at least part amicably in the future. I think it fits that Andy is bisexual. He's also not the type to cheat or mess around and an S.O. so I don't think Brent needs to be worried.

 

Finally with Button. Yay Mirabelle! I'm so happy that she knocked some sense into him. Hopefully Button gets over his objectification of women after this. Btw, the subtle classism you've woven into the story is very well done. It adds a lot of realism to the story.

Link to comment
On 06/23/2014 02:25 AM, Rebelghost85 said:
The double standard of Button and Sarah's relationships got Craig and Graham into hot water I see. The dads need to figure out a fair solution or Sarah is going to rebel (although it's going to happen anyway).

 

I hope that Brent and Andy work out or at least part amicably in the future. I think it fits that Andy is bisexual. He's also not the type to cheat or mess around and an S.O. so I don't think Brent needs to be worried.

 

Finally with Button. Yay Mirabelle! I'm so happy that she knocked some sense into him. Hopefully Button gets over his objectification of women after this. Btw, the subtle classism you've woven into the story is very well done. It adds a lot of realism to the story.

Thank Rebel! Yeah, there is definitely some sexism going on as well. Sarah is her own person though. If she wants to play around I'm sure no one will be able to stop her. Andy and Brent are quite the couple. We'll see next chapter how their relationship goes. Mirabelle had to make the first move. Button just couldn't get past his friend's 'perfection.' I had a friend like that once until I knocked him on the head!!!

Appreciate your review. :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

What a sweet song choice from Button and Sarah in the beginning. I wish there was a soundtrack to go along with the story! I'm so happy that Mirabelle managed to make Button see the light. I really hope that their relationship succeeds. I'll be interested to how Andy and Brent's relationship progresses. I look forward to Chapter 18. :)

Link to comment
On 06/23/2014 04:13 AM, Valkyrie said:
What a sweet song choice from Button and Sarah in the beginning. I wish there was a soundtrack to go along with the story! I'm so happy that Mirabelle managed to make Button see the light. I really hope that their relationship succeeds. I'll be interested to how Andy and Brent's relationship progresses. I look forward to Chapter 18. :)
Thanks! I cried while writing the musical part! I could hear the oboe and piano in my head. I'm glad it came across well. Mirabelle had to take the Button by the horns. ;) We'll find out more about those two relationships next chapter. Thanks so much Valkyrie for the comments!
Link to comment

thanks for another wonderfully writen chapter this is just another day in the life and how crazy they can get. and it makes me smile knowing that im not the only one with crazy out of control days

thanks for taking the time to write and share with us

 

Bob

Link to comment

The story just gets better with every new chapter! I didn't orginally see things going from a young boy to a teenager like they have, but you've made the transition so smooth that it makes the reading a real pleasure. Thanks, Cole!

Link to comment
On 06/23/2014 07:19 AM, fiedlerbob101 said:
thanks for another wonderfully writen chapter this is just another day in the life and how crazy they can get. and it makes me smile knowing that im not the only one with crazy out of control days

thanks for taking the time to write and share with us

 

Bob

Thanks Bob! I wanted it to be a little zany and madcap. I think teens tend to make things over the top. I appreciate the review and I'm glad you're enjoying it. :)
Link to comment
On 06/23/2014 07:54 AM, mickey1952 said:
The story just gets better with every new chapter! I didn't orginally see things going from a young boy to a teenager like they have, but you've made the transition so smooth that it makes the reading a real pleasure. Thanks, Cole!
Why thank you so much Mickey! I'm glad you're liking it. The tween years were hard to encapsulate. I struggled with how to do those. The teen years are a little easier but then I can only do so much with one chapter for a whole year. Your comments are very heartening to me. Thanks!
Link to comment

Very touching scene at the beginning with Button and Sarah playing for their dads :) Brent and Andy seem like a good couple as do Mirabelle and Button. Although I got an impression that Button wasn´t entirely sure he wanted Mirabelle as girlfriend, but we´ll see.

Great party and a great chapter :thumbup:

Link to comment
On 06/24/2014 12:52 AM, Suvitar said:
Very touching scene at the beginning with Button and Sarah playing for their dads :) Brent and Andy seem like a good couple as do Mirabelle and Button. Although I got an impression that Button wasn´t entirely sure he wanted Mirabelle as girlfriend, but we´ll see.

Great party and a great chapter :thumbup:

Thanks Suvitar! Im glad you enjoyed it. I loved writing the musical part and im glad it seemed to work. Its hard to describe and i was worried.

 

Button and Mirabelle are pretty tight. We'll see how close the other two are next week. Thanks so much!

Link to comment

That's right, Mirabelle. Take those reins and never let 'em go! YeeHaw! Loved this chapter, love this story. Young love, ain't it grand? YAY for Andy and Brent. For some reason I saw this coming when they were all at camp. Why I thought that I don't know. Sarah's going to go her own way but I'm sure the Dad's will get her to 18 in one piece. I remember 'playing pool' in the basement with the 'rents upstairs. hee hee. Thank you for such top-notch writing.

Link to comment
On 06/24/2014 11:55 AM, LadyDe said:
That's right, Mirabelle. Take those reins and never let 'em go! YeeHaw! Loved this chapter, love this story. Young love, ain't it grand? YAY for Andy and Brent. For some reason I saw this coming when they were all at camp. Why I thought that I don't know. Sarah's going to go her own way but I'm sure the Dad's will get her to 18 in one piece. I remember 'playing pool' in the basement with the 'rents upstairs. hee hee. Thank you for such top-notch writing.
Hahaha! LadyDe, I planted some little seeds in Thirteen Mile Camp! If you recall, Brent, Andy and Button were on the team together. That makes me smile. Thanks so much for the review! :)
Link to comment

I really hope Button calms down. Plowing through all the girls in your grade ... nothing ever good comes from it.

 

The teeange years are really such a square dance. I don't remember being so guy-crazy at that age. I guess I was more concerned about my schoolwork and getting into a good college and scholarships and such. But relationships and sex seem to be the end all and be all of these teenagers' existence. Poor Brent. I feel bad for him. Kevin was such an ass to him. Hopefully Andy will treat him better. I do think these kids need to put a check on their hormones. I mean they are all emotions but no one is considering the consequences of actions. People's feelings are getting hurt and Button is coming off as very cavalier when it comes to breaking girls' hearts.

This was another great chapter. The author does a great job of portraying the teenage years. Teenagers can be very selfish and reckless and the author is capturing this very well.

Link to comment
On 07/20/2014 06:05 AM, Bryce Lee said:
I really hope Button calms down. Plowing through all the girls in your grade ... nothing ever good comes from it.

 

The teeange years are really such a square dance. I don't remember being so guy-crazy at that age. I guess I was more concerned about my schoolwork and getting into a good college and scholarships and such. But relationships and sex seem to be the end all and be all of these teenagers' existence. Poor Brent. I feel bad for him. Kevin was such an ass to him. Hopefully Andy will treat him better. I do think these kids need to put a check on their hormones. I mean they are all emotions but no one is considering the consequences of actions. People's feelings are getting hurt and Button is coming off as very cavalier when it comes to breaking girls' hearts.

This was another great chapter. The author does a great job of portraying the teenage years. Teenagers can be very selfish and reckless and the author is capturing this very well.

As I mentioned before, I was no Casanova in high school but I remember those who were and how I wanted that, or at least thought I did. You come to realize it isn't just the conquest but the connection that is so special I think. For teenagers battling their concrete understanding of what they want along with seriously surging hormones, it gets misinterpreted. Sorting and decoding expressions of feelings are complex things. I'm glad you are catching my portrayal of this. Thank you so much Bryce!
Link to comment

Wow! Another great chapter with its twists and turns of teenage angst. You tell it so well and with pathos and humor combined. Love it. So glad about Button and Mirabelle! That was so neat how she tackled him and opened his eyes. Haha! He sure dropped the pedestal idea quickly when she opened up to him. Thank goodness for that! Glad for Andy and Brent too. Really hope that works for them both. And Sarah, OMG! She's not slow in coming forward is she! Takes after her brother I think! Graham & Craig sure have their hands full.

Link to comment
On 07/20/2014 11:12 PM, Jaro_423 said:
Wow! Another great chapter with its twists and turns of teenage angst. You tell it so well and with pathos and humor combined. Love it. So glad about Button and Mirabelle! That was so neat how she tackled him and opened his eyes. Haha! He sure dropped the pedestal idea quickly when she opened up to him. Thank goodness for that! Glad for Andy and Brent too. Really hope that works for them both. And Sarah, OMG! She's not slow in coming forward is she! Takes after her brother I think! Graham & Craig sure have their hands full.
Hahaha! Craig and Graham have their hands full but they are doing okay. Sarah is a spitfire, that's for sure. Mirabelle is very strong which is what drew Button in initially. Andy and Brent are on the path to true love. It will consume them. Thanks for the comments! You may be mad after the next chapter.
Link to comment

There is not much left to say..a captivating chapter of a fog slowly clearing in the confusion of youth. It is only the beginning but it is a very real and touching one.If I commented on everything that made me feel something, I would have to write my own chapter. Well done Sir...cheers...Gary

Link to comment
On 09/29/2014 01:26 PM, Headstall said:
There is not much left to say..a captivating chapter of a fog slowly clearing in the confusion of youth. It is only the beginning but it is a very real and touching one.If I commented on everything that made me feel something, I would have to write my own chapter. Well done Sir...cheers...Gary
You are more right than you know. I love your reference to the fog. It does burn away after this. Button grows up really fast from now on. Thanks so much Gary! I'm having fun, especially given the sequel starts this Wednesday.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..