Jump to content
    craftingmom
  • Author
  • 2,884 Words
  • 3,544 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Lie of the Serpent - 4. Chapter 4

Chapter 4

 

"I knew you two were made for each other," Sarah gushed as they settled at a high top table in the club.

Wyatt laughed at his best friend as he swallowed down the amber whiskey. "Yeah, yeah, so you keep telling us."

They'd finally been able to meet up with Sarah and a couple of Bryan and Sarah's work friends to tell them the news. It had been a couple days since they had told Bryan's mother, Carol. Bryan had been ecstatic after leaving the estate, rambling on and on about how his mother had finally accepted him, them.

Wyatt still wasn't sure what to make of the meeting with Bryan's mother. She had seemed happy and excited, but Wyatt couldn't help but feel an undercurrent of something—dismay, sadness—he wasn't sure. Maybe she had still held out hopes of having a grandchild and now she thought she'd never get one.

Whatever. Wyatt took another burning swig. It wasn't like he was marrying Bryan's mother. He couldn't make the woman like him, and Bryan was blind enough to believe that Carol was actually happy about their engagement. He was fairly certain, from Bryan's mood the next night, that Carol had interrogated Bryan about his decision. Bryan had seemed a bit distant and irritated when he'd arrived at Wyatt's apartment, and it didn't take a genius to figure out why.

All he could do was reassure Bryan that he did love him. That he really did mean it when he said yes. Hopefully, the stacks of packed boxes helped as well.

"Hey," Sarah nudged his shoulder, "where were you?"

He cast a glance over at his worried fiancé, offering a reassuring smile to him before turning to Sarah. "Nowhere. Just thinking, that's all."

"Come on! Let's celebrate!" Sarah yelled over the music, grabbing his hand as she pulled him towards the dance floor.

Wyatt threw a pleading look over his shoulder at Bryan, who only smirked and shrugged, offering a small toast with his glass as Wyatt was dragged off. Bastard, Wyatt mouthed back at him. The man knew he hated dancing.

Wyatt suffered the loud music and bodies writhing around him, as Sarah laughed and sang along with the band. He was ready to turn back and grab Bryan to leave when he felt a body press against his back and hands grip his hips.

Wyatt stilled, ready to elbow the person behind him in the ribs, when a warm breath whispered in his ear. "Damn, Wyatt, I didn't know you could move like that."

Tension ebbed away as he leaned back against the hard body behind him. He ground his hips back against the hard, throbbing erection poking him in the back. Even through the layers of jeans, Wyatt could feel Bryan's need for him.

When Bryan groaned, tightening his fingers on his hips, Wyatt smiled as Sarah rolled her eyes at them.

"Get a room you two!" she teased.

"Sounds like a plan!" Bryan shouted back, yanking on Wyatt's waist.

He laughed as he stumbled along behind Bryan, admiring the curve of his jeans over his ass and the way the t-shirt stretched over the man's broad shoulders. Bryan turned back to him briefly as he handed over the cash to pay their tab to their waitress. "Let me just run take a leak first."

Wyatt wrinkled his nose. "You really want to do that here? Someone vomited in there earlier."

"Yeah, well, the three beers have gone right through me."

"Fine, I'll see you at the door. I'll grab the cab."

Wyatt slowly shoved his way through the crowd towards the exit. At the door, he felt arms snake around his waist again, a hard body pressing up against his back.

With a twist of a smile, Wyatt sagged a bit against the hold. "That was damn fast. What? Did you miss me already?"

"Oh, hell yeah, I missed you," the raspy whisper in his ear had him freezing.

Shit! He tried to yank free of the constricting grip around him. "Get the fuck away from me, Darrin."

"Aww, just a second ago you were putty in my arms." Wyatt felt his ex's hand slithering up under his shirt.

He grit his teeth. "You know I thought you were Bryan. Now, get your hands off me. Now."

"Oh, Wy-Wy—"

Wyatt didn't bother to listen to anything else. He tensed his arm and drove his elbow back into the taller man's solar plexus. Darrin grunted, gasping in shock that Wyatt had actually hit him. His grip released enough for Wyatt to slid free and take several steps away. As he did, he could see Sarah across the room frowning in his direction and lifting her phone to her ear. A second later, his phone was ringing.

When Darrin glared at him, Wyatt grabbed his phone, figuring it was Sarah asking if he was okay. He backed away from Darrin, even as the man looked like he might follow.

"I'm fine, Sarah. My ex was just being an asshole, couldn't keep his fucking hands to himself, that's all."

There was a long pause. "Excuse me?"

Oh, crap, that wasn't Sarah's voice. Wyatt frowned and looked briefly at the unknown number on his phone.

"I'm so sorry, I must have the wrong number. I was looking for Mr. Wyatt Kinnon."

"I'm sorry," he said quickly, "I thought you were someone else. This is Wyatt. Who is this?"

There was another pause. "This is Carol. Carol Foxgrove. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to call at a bad time"

Oh, fuck, Wyatt's breath hitched as he closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose. His future mother-in-law. He hurried for the exit, escaping the noise and his furious ex for the cool, peacefulness of the outdoors.

"Oh, oh, Mrs. Foxgrove, I'm so... so sorry," he stumbled. "I thought you were someone else. A friend of mine."

"Sarah? A girlfriend?" And Wyatt could swear he heard a bit of censure in her voice.

"Not a girlfriend like that. Just a friend. She's the one who introduced me to Bryan."

"Oh, I see." At least he heard a bit of relief in her voice. "Were you out with Sarah? Am I interrupting something?"

"No ma'am. We're just leaving. Bryan's just in the bathroom."

The door to the bar opened and Bryan came storming out. The look on his face told Wyatt that Bryan had obviously run into Darrin, or been informed of what had happened by Sarah. He had his phone in a tight grip at his ear. As soon as he laid eyes on Wyatt relief lit his face.

"I found him, Sarah."

Ahh, so Sarah had been calling Bryan.

His exquisite fiancé rushed toward him, but Wyatt held up a hand halting his advance and silencing him.

"Are you two okay? I hear you say something about an ex—"

"Yes, ma'am, just fine. Thank you. Sorry about that," he paused at the awkward conversation. "Is there something you needed?"

"Oh, yes," her voice perked up as she focused on her reason for calling him. "I was wondering what you might be doing tomorrow."

Wyatt's brow quirked up. "Oh, well, I was just thinking of going on a hike up Billy Goat trail. Why?"

"Oh, I was wondering if you could come by tomorrow to talk about some plans for the wedding."

Wyatt blinked in shock. "Oh, um, well, yeah, but I think Bryan has a big meeting most of the day tomorrow—"

Wyatt watched Bryan's beautiful blue eyes narrow in confusion, but he just held up a finger letting him know he'd explain in a minute.

"Oh, I know he does. He told me. I really just thought maybe you could come. I think we'd get so much more accomplished that way."

Wyatt bit back his surprise that she'd actually want to talk with just him about it. He'd been sure that she'd asked for his number just to be polite. He really never expected that she'd follow through.

"Um, yeah, sure. I can do that. What time?"

"How about eleven? We can have lunch and then tour the grounds, see where you'd like to take your vows."

"Wow, yeah, that sounds great," Wyatt stammered as Bryan hovered next to him, frowning at Wyatt's confused look. "I'll see you then."

After Carol Foxgrove said good-bye, Wyatt lowered the phone from his ear, staring at Bryan in shock.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." Wyatt shook his head slightly to clear it.

"Sarah called my cell and told me that idiot Darrin was harassing you."

"Oh, yeah, he was just being his usual jerk of a self," Wyatt shrugged distractedly. That was nothing compared to getting a phone call from his future mother-in-law.

"Then, what's got you so rattled looking?" Bryan asked as he gathered Wyatt in his arms.

Wyatt held up the phone. "Your mother."

"My what?"

Wyatt smirked at the shocked look. "Your mother just called me. Of course she caught me when Darrin was being an asshole and I thought it was Sarah calling, so—"

Bryan abruptly laughed. "I'm sure that went over well."

"Yeah, well, I'm sure your mom thinks so highly of me now," Wyatt groaned, dropping his head against Bryan's rumbling chest.

Bryan smoothed his hands over Wyatt's back. "She'll understand. Don't worry about it. It'll be fine. She'll love you as much as I do."

Wyatt quirked a honey eyebrow up at his boyfriend.

"Okay, well, maybe not as much, but close." Bryan grinned. "So why was she calling?"

"She wants me to meet with her to talk about wedding plans."

Bryan's face broke into a wide smile. "That's great! See? I told you she'd like you. So, are you going?"

"Yeah, at eleven tomorrow."

"So, no hiking?"

"Guess not."

"Hey, it's okay to tell her no," Bryan said softly. "It's not like plans have to be made tomorrow, or even this week."

"I know. But I think I should go. It's your mom, and I really want to make a good impression."

Bryan chuckled at him, kissing him on the forehead. "That's sweet, but not necessary. She's going to love you no matter what."

"Awww, kissing up to the MIL, huh?"

Both of them whipped around to find Darrin leaning against the wall nearby blending in with other bar patrons taking a breather or saying good-bye.

"Roque," Bryan growled as Wyatt pushed in front of him holding him back.

"Darrin, get out of here," Wyatt warned.

"What? It's a free country. I can hang out here if I want," the olive skinned man smirked, but Wyatt noticed he was carefully holding his tender ribs with one hand.

"Let's go, Bryan." Wyatt turned, trying to ignore his ex's taunting and tugging his fiancé with him.

"His skin is as soft as I remember it," Darrin goaded. "Did you like my fingers sliding over your belly, Wyatt?"

"What the fuck!" Bryan rounded on the suddenly alert man, his hand grabbing a fistful of Darrin's t-shirt. Darrin had a satisfied smug look on his face, and Wyatt knew instantly that he was hoping to provoke Bryan into a fight. Wyatt had only a second to grabbed Bryan's arm and shove him back as Bryan's fist rose to pummel Darrin.

"Stop it!" Wyatt shouted. He could see the altercation had already drawn the attention of the people nearby. Two bouncers were already stalking towards them. With Bryan's fist in Darrin's shirt and his arm cocked back, it wasn't looking very good.

And Darrin knew it.

"What?" Darrin asked in mock innocence, spreading his arms wide. "Was it something I said?"

"What the hell is going on?" one of the bouncers demanded.

"Nothing," Wyatt said, shoving Bryan back until he finally released Darrin and backed off.

"Just talking, man," Darrin smiled slyly.

"Did you put your fucking hands on him?" Bryan demanded.

Darrin just shrugged. "It's not like I haven't sampled the goods before."

"You son-of-a—" Bryan lunged toward Darrin who stepped back feigning surprise when the bouncer jumped in between them.

"You." The bouncer poked Bryan in the chest as he shoved the two men apart. "Cool it, right now, or I'm calling the police."

"We're leaving," Wyatt jumped in, yanking at Bryan's arm.

The curt, satisfied nod from the bouncer had Wyatt breathing a sigh of relief.

"You," the heard the bouncer addressing Darrin as they walked away, "keep your hands to yourself. Don't think I didn't see what you did inside."

Good, Wyatt thought, at least the bouncer wasn't totally naive. He could feel Bryan next to him practically vibrating with anger.

"Hey, hey." Wyatt gently tugged on Bryan's arm to get him to stop now that they were safely away from Darrin. He wrapped his hand around Bryan's neck, his thumb stroking the stubble-roughened jaw.

Wyatt could feel Bryan's teeth grinding in pure rage before the man's stormy blue eyes finally focused on his. Bryan finally deflated, allowing the tension in his body to dissipate.

"He's just trying to get to us," Wyatt soothed, trying to keep Bryan from losing control.

"He's doing a damn fucking good job of it. How the hell could you let him touch you?"

Wyatt flinched back, his amber eyes burning, as he pushed away from his boyfriend. The stab of pain to his heart at the callous words nearly left him breathless. "Let him? I didn't let him do anything. I thought it was you when he came up behind me."

Bryan seemed to immediately realize what his tone implied and his eyes softened. "I'm sorry. That's not what I meant."

"Yeah, sure it wasn't," Wyatt snapped, irritated that Bryan had had a moment of doubt about his actions. He turned to hail one of the cabs that constantly made their way around these neighborhoods.

"Wyatt," Bryan grabbed his elbow, "I'm sorry. I just lost it when I thought of that guy touching you."

Wyatt heaved a deep sigh as he looked up at Bryan. "I know. And I'm sorry too. I should have been more vigilant. But, Bryan... I've dealt with Darrin for a long time. He was just looking to goad you into a fight tonight. Couldn't you see that? He was trying to get you arrested for assault."

"Yeah, yeah," Bryan admitted, as he raked a hand through his midnight hair in irritation. "I think maybe you should file for a restraining order or something. I don't want to worry about what this guy will do when I'm not around."

Wyatt narrowed his eyes. "I'm not the same guy I was when I was with him. I can take care of myself."

"But the point is that you shouldn't have to," Bryan argued. "He's just going to keep harassing you."

Wyatt shoved his hands down into his coat pocket. "Yeah maybe." Then he looked up at Bryan with a sly smile. "And I can't have you getting arrested defending my honor, can I? What would your mother think?"

Bryan chuckled as the tension between them broke and he gathered Wyatt in his arms again. "Oooh, yeah, you're such a bad influence on me. The hell raising high school teacher."

"Screw you," Wyatt laughed as he slapped Bryan's chest playfully.

"Now?" Bryan nuzzled heatedly against his neck, pushing his groin against Wyatt's. "Okay, but it's a little public, don't you think?"

Wyatt's small moan only served to egg Bryan on further as his man sucked a small hickey on his neck eliciting a gasp at the small sting of pain before the warm tongue laved the bruise soothingly. Wyatt finally regained enough of his senses to pull away, looking up into Bryan's heated gaze. "And I'm the bad influence?"

Bryan just shrugged smugly. "Hey, my mom believes I walk on water."

Wyatt just scoffed his disbelief as he waved down an approaching cab.

"What?" Bryan asked innocently. "I'm her little angel. To her, I'm as pure as Adam in Eden."

Wyatt snorted as he quirked an eyebrow at his boyfriend. "And what am I, Eve?"

Bryan grinned slyly wrapping his arms around Wyatt's waist. "Oooh, yeah, let's go run around naked in a garden."

Wyatt just rolled his eyes. "You realize that means your mom thinks I'm stealing away your innocence."

Bryan laughed as the cab he waved down pulled over, and he yanked open the cab door. "Oh, I'm sure my mom knows I'm not so innocent."

"Don't be too sure about that," Wyatt said as he slid into the back of the cab. "Moms always think their kids are pure and innocent. She probably thinks I'm some snake trying to corrupt you."

Bryan scoffed. "The only snake around here is Darrin."

Wyatt glanced briefly at his fiancé before giving the address to the cabbie for his apartment. He leaned against Bryan's warmth. "Let's just forget about him and your mother for now. Okay? When we get home, we'll take nice hot shower, and..." he leaned in close to Bryan's ear so the cabbie couldn't hear him, "I'll fuck all that tension out of your body."

Bryan's eyes blazed. Then he turned to the cabbie. "I'll pay you a twenty if you can get us there in ten minutes."

Copyright © 2015 craftingmom; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

That was awkward to assume it was Sarah calling only to be Carol. An uh oh moment for sure. Darrin is just the type to provoke something to get Bryan arrested. Wyatt must have been very submissive in the past to have startled Darrin with that jab in the ribs.

 

I can't wait to see how that first wedding plan meeting with Carol goes.

Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Darrin is a bug I wish I could squish.
It was good to see how easily Bryan and Wyatt got themselves back on track after Darrin's trickery.
As for the meeting with Carol, I'm thinking she is up to something. Hope I'm wrong...

Link to comment

You continue to write the most suspenseful, beautifully descriptive stories!! As usual...thanks for sharing the enormous talent! :thankyou:

Link to comment

Darrin... Grrr. Wyatt should still probably get a restraining order although with guys like Darin that's seldom a deterrent.
I'm still suspicious of Carol. I think her motives will be hidden underneath such charm, as she tries to undermine her son's relationship. Let the planning begin....

Link to comment

That's not the last of Darrin they're going to see. Unfortunately. I also think Wyatt should get a restraining order against him. He's going to keep provoking Bryan until he gets what he wants - pressing charges for assault and sending Bryan to jail.

 

I also agree with your other readers; I'm not sure I totally trust Carol. It just seems so easy, too easy, that she changed her tune so quickly about Bryan being gay.

Link to comment

Gonna be fun to see how the wedding planning meeting with Carol goes. Suspect there's gonna be some not so subtle fireworks there.
And, like everyone else, really want Darrin to get put in his place--and I suspect you've got a clever plan to do that, with clues hidden right under our noses!
Another fine chapter--and let's get the meeting with Carol done...soon! <grin>

Link to comment
On 08/03/2015 09:18 AM, flamingo136 said:

...........Hatin' me some Darrin :fight:............Mike

LOL... LOVE the graphic!

Link to comment
On 08/03/2015 09:29 AM, drpaladin said:

That was awkward to assume it was Sarah calling only to be Carol. An uh oh moment for sure. Darrin is just the type to provoke something to get Bryan arrested. Wyatt must have been very submissive in the past to have startled Darrin with that jab in the ribs.

 

I can't wait to see how that first wedding plan meeting with Carol goes.

Yes, Wyatt had been rather submissive and insecure around Darrin's more dominate personality.

Link to comment
On 08/03/2015 10:59 AM, Reader1810 said:

Darrin is a bug I wish I could squish.

It was good to see how easily Bryan and Wyatt got themselves back on track after Darrin's trickery.

As for the meeting with Carol, I'm thinking she is up to something. Hope I'm wrong...

hehe, a bug you could squish, huh... that's funny! Bryan is good for Wyatt, and I hope I have been able to convey a bit of how Wyatt has grown and become a little more self-confident because of his relationship with Bryan. This story is a bit different than my others since the MCs are already in a loving, committed relationship.

Link to comment
On 08/04/2015 12:13 AM, Onim said:

You continue to write the most suspenseful, beautifully descriptive stories!! As usual...thanks for sharing the enormous talent! :thankyou:

Awww, thank you so much. Knowing others are interested and waiting for more keeps me motivated! If I hadn't found GA, I probably wouldn't have done quite as much writing as I have this past year.

Link to comment
On 08/04/2015 04:13 AM, Defiance19 said:

Darrin... Grrr. Wyatt should still probably get a restraining order although with guys like Darin that's seldom a deterrent.

I'm still suspicious of Carol. I think her motives will be hidden underneath such charm, as she tries to undermine her son's relationship. Let the planning begin....

You are not alone in being suspicious of Carol... She hasn't been quite as enthusiastic as a fully supportive mother might be. And Darrin, well, yeah, Darrin is as Reader 1810 said... a bug you wish you could squish.

Link to comment
On 08/04/2015 08:21 AM, Lisa said:

That's not the last of Darrin they're going to see. Unfortunately. I also think Wyatt should get a restraining order against him. He's going to keep provoking Bryan until he gets what he wants - pressing charges for assault and sending Bryan to jail.

 

I also agree with your other readers; I'm not sure I totally trust Carol. It just seems so easy, too easy, that she changed her tune so quickly about Bryan being gay.

No, you'll see Darrin again...next chapter.

Link to comment
On 08/05/2015 01:21 AM, Robert Rex said:

Gonna be fun to see how the wedding planning meeting with Carol goes. Suspect there's gonna be some not so subtle fireworks there.

And, like everyone else, really want Darrin to get put in his place--and I suspect you've got a clever plan to do that, with clues hidden right under our noses!

Another fine chapter--and let's get the meeting with Carol done...soon! <grin>

Next chapter Wyatt has his meeting with Carol, and yeah, she's still questioning their relationship...

Link to comment

Great chapter :read:
Poor Wyatt :/ Darrin is a really horrible person :o he should just leave and go somewhere very far away and never come back to bother Wyatt and Bryan :huh:
I find it odd that Carol wants to plan the wedding with Wyatt and is ready to exclude Bryan at least from the first meeting.

Link to comment
On 10/08/2015 05:28 AM, Suvitar said:

Great chapter :read:

Poor Wyatt :/ Darrin is a really horrible person :o he should just leave and go somewhere very far away and never come back to bother Wyatt and Bryan :huh:

I find it odd that Carol wants to plan the wedding with Wyatt and is ready to exclude Bryan at least from the first meeting.

thank you :) Darrin is rather unlikable.

Link to comment
On 03/05/2017 12:28 AM, Rambling Robin said:

I was just thinking that Wyatt needed a restraining order! Argh! Bad Darrin! No cookie! Xoxo Robin

Yeah, he probably does... :)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..