Jump to content
    craftingmom
  • Author
  • 1,957 Words
  • 2,695 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Lie of the Serpent - 8. Chapter 8

Chapter 8

 

Grateful to Sarah for taking charge, Bryan followed her to Marshall Park a couple blocks away. If he didn't busy himself with something, he knew he'd be sitting at Wyatt's wallowing in his guilt.

As they walked down the street, his phone rang and he jumped, grabbing it from his pocket. Both he and Sarah anxiously looked at the screen with hope flooding them.

His mom.

Damn. He felt Sarah deflate a bit next to him as he answered. "Hi, mom."

"Hi, honey. How are you?" Her sweet voice soothed him slightly.

"Not great, mom," he admitted.

"Oh, what's wrong, sweetie?"

"Wyatt didn't come home last night or today."

"Oh, oh, Bryan. I'm so sorry. Is there anything I can do?" He wished she could hold him and promise him that it would all be okay like she used to when he was little.

He laughed off his heartache. "Yeah, you could tell me where to find Wyatt."

Obviously, his joke didn't go over well with his mother as she was silent for a few moments. "You know I don't know where—"

"Yes, mom, I know. It was a joke."

"Oh, of course. You know I would tell you if I did. Maybe he's just—"

"Did you need something, mom? I'm a little... busy right now," he interrupted, feeling a little irritated at her rambling. He was sure she was probably going to tell him again how Wyatt just needed time, how he'd had doubts about their marriage, and Bryan really wasn't in the mood to hear it again. Even though his brain and instincts told him Wyatt would never just take off without at least a note or text, there was still a tiny part of his brain niggling at him wondering if Wyatt had taken off in panic.

"Oh, yes, of course, I'm sorry. I just wanted to let you know there was mail for you in the manor's mailbox this morning." Bryan frowned as she continued. "Simon found it when he got the mail today."

"Mail? From who?" He occasionally still got mail from old contacts that still had his parents' address for him. His old schools would send reunion information all the time.

"It doesn't say, sweetheart. Just has your name on it, but the manor's address. It's one of those big brown envelopes. Feels like it has something in it. I thought I'd bring it by later but wanted to make sure you'd be home."

"Oh, well," Bryan's mind wasn't worried about some piece of mail that had been sent to his old address. "I'll come by and get it at some point."

"Oh, you don't have to do that. I can tell you're busy. I'll just bring it by later," she insisted.

"Fine," Bryan conceded, he really didn't care right now. He was about to tell her bye when Sarah nudged his side.

"Ask her what cab company took Wyatt home yesterday," Sarah whispered. "We can call them and see where they dropped him off."

Damn, he hadn't thought of that. Thank God for Sarah. "Hey, mom, what cab company took Wyatt home yesterday?"

"What?" she seemed startled by the abrupt change in topic.

"The cab company. Which one took Wyatt home?"

"Oh, um, it was Yellow Cabs."

"Thanks, mom."

"Okay, honey, I'll see you later. Love you."

"Love you too."

He hung up, shoving the phone back in his pocket. "Yellow Cab," he told Sarah.

"Okay, well, once we're done here, maybe we can call them and see if they'll tell us anything," the little red-head said, her chin lifted as she faced him, determination etched on her high cheekbones.

Bryan smiled slightly. Having a plan helped both of them focus on the here and now, and not on the what-ifs.

They scanned the park as they approached. It was really busy today, being a Saturday as well as the beautiful blue skies and cool breeze keeping it from being sweltering. Sarah peeled off her sweatshirt and tied it around her waist now that they were in the sun. Her teal tank top hugged her torso and Bryan knew she'd drawn the attention of a few onlookers.

"Let's head over to the skate park," he suggested. "If anybody saw him, some of his students probably did."

She nodded, a few strands of her auburn hair framing her face. "Yeah, that's what I thought too."

A few minutes later, they found themselves scanning the bleachers and the kids waiting for a turn at the ramps, looking for someone they might recognize. There were quite a few teens out today, not surprisingly since it was the last weekend before the end of spring break.

"Any ideas who to ask first?" Sarah nudged, jumping into him when one kid whisked by down the sidewalk next to them.

He was shaking his head. They all seemed to look the same to him. He was about to give up and just start asking the nearest person when he spotted a familiar Mohawk on the other side of the bleachers. Scanning the faces near the kid, he recognized a few of them from the day he'd proposed. They were the kids that had come over to congratulate them. Maybe they were here pretty often and had seen Wyatt yesterday, or God-willing, even today.

He strode through the crowd of teens with Sarah following. "Hey," he greeted as he approached.

Several of them looked up with an annoyed frown at first, apparently finding an adult talking to them irritating, but recognition quickly lit several of their faces.

"Oh, hey, you're Mr. Kinnon's man," one greeted.

"Yeah, I'm Bryan Foxgrove. You guys were here the day I proposed."

They laughed. "Yeah," a long-haired teen smiled, holding out his hand. "I'm Marc. That's Greg, Nick, Stuart and Alex." They all nodded greetings."

"This is Sarah Demchik," Bryan introduced. "She's Wyatt's, err, Mr. Kinnon's best friend."

A chorus of 'hey's and grunted nods, as well as a couple appreciative perusals greeted Sarah's wave.

"We were wondering if you'd seen Mr. Kinnon yesterday or today?" Bryan finally asked.

They seemed a bit surprised by the question, but Marc nodded. "Yeah, we saw him yesterday. Why?"

For a moment, Bryan felt his heart unclench with hope. "When did you see him?"

"Yesterday morning, maybe around eleven," Alex said. The boys all glanced between themselves briefly.

"Might of been later," Greg added. "We were waiting on Stuart. He was late, as usual."

"Hey!" Stuart protested.

Eleven. That would have been before Wyatt had met with his mother. Shit. That didn't help.

"Yeah." Marc nudged Nick next to him. "Remember, we were waiting and that guy started hasslin' Mr. Kinnon..."

"Yeah, what a jerk." Nick scrunched up his nose.

"Dude was—"

"Wait, wait." Bryan finally caught onto what they were saying. "What are you talking about?"

"Some dark-haired dude grabbed Mr. Kinnon's arm. Looked like they were arguing," Alex said.

Bryan and Sarah exchanged surprised, worried glances.

"Do you know who it was? Can you describe him?" Bryan pressed.

Nick and Greg shrugged. "He was taller, dark hair, maybe black. Kind of... I don't know... darker skin."

"Yeah," Alex agreed, "kind of like that guy."

Bryan looked over to where he pointed, noting a teen of Italian heritage. His heart thudded as he began to realize who they might be describing. Fuck, had Wyatt had another run-in with Darrin Roque? Could he have something to do with Wyatt being missing?

Bryan looked over at Sarah. "Sounds like Darrin."

Her face fell. "Crap."

"Yeah!" Marc exclaimed suddenly. "That's what Mr. Kinnon called him—Darrin."

Sarah shifted nervously on her feet, her hopeful facade crumbling. "We need to go to the police now."

The boys' eyes widened. "Police? Why? Is something wrong?"

Bryan debated telling the boys anything, but maybe if they knew what was going on, they could keep an eye out. "Wy—Mr. Kinnon didn't come home last night. We haven't seen or heard from him since yesterday afternoon when he left my mom's."

"Oh, shit," Alex gasped, and Bryan had the strange urge to correct his language like Wyatt would have done.

Wyatt. His mind raced now with thoughts of what Wyatt's asshole of an ex could be doing. Images of his love being beaten, hurt, crying out in pain flooded his mind. He tried not to think about other things Darrin might be capable of. If the man was that delusional and possessive, what lengths would he go to keep Wyatt away from Bryan?

"I've got to go," Bryan said, suddenly finding it hard to breathe.

The boys all clamored to offer their help. "I'll call my dad, see what he can do," Marc called out as Bryan turned away.

"Thanks," Bryan acknowledged the offer, but other than keeping an eye out there wasn't much anyone else could do. Sarah was right on his heels as he hurried away back to his car.

He didn't care right now about the 48 hour threshold for filing a report. Knowing Darrin had accosted Wyatt earlier, obviously having had an argument, put things in a whole new perspective. Wyatt hadn't just had some random accident nor he was possibly the victim of a mugging or something equally arbitrary. He'd been targeted.

 

@@@@

 

Wyatt shivered again. God, he was freezing. He couldn't fight the chill creeping from the cold floor through his bare skin. He'd eventually shouted himself hoarse and given up hoping hours ago that someone, even Darrin, would come down.

He had finally curled up as tight as he could to conserve what little warmth his body had. With the cold and adrenaline-fueled fear sapping his energy, he knew he'd drifted off at some point, even with his mind fighting to stay awake.

He didn't know what Darrin had in mind, maybe trying to break him down, make him beg, promise to stay with him. At that moment, he'd agree to anything just to get the hell out of there. He figured when Darrin released him from the damn shackles, probably hoping to fuck him, maybe he could figure a way to escape. Darrin was stronger than he was, but he wasn't really that bright. How Darrin had gotten away with knocking him out and kidnapping him like this was beyond him.

Sooner or later he'd have to come. While Wyatt had made use of the bucket a while ago, the one little bottle of water wasn't going to last long. He could already feel hunger gnawing at his stomach. How long had it been since he'd eaten? A day maybe?

He heard the turning of a doorknob, and his body tensed. A faint light shone high up at the far end of the room where a door had obviously opened at the top of a set of stairs. Wyatt's breath caught in his throat now that the moment of facing his kidnapper loomed over him. As he took in the heavy boots of the man standing at the top of the stairs, he wondered what Darrin was waiting for.

"Darrin, come on, man, what the hell are you doing this for?" he called, hoping to reason with his ex.

The boots stomped hesitantly down the steps. The light from the doorway was horribly faint, and Wyatt couldn't make out Darrin's face. He'd hoped to get a read on what the man was thinking. But as the figure reached the bottom of the creaking steps, Wyatt could barely make out the hulking form.

"Darrin?" he heard himself squeak out, but even as he said it, he knew.

A new terror shot down his spine.

This man wasn't his ex.

And that changed everything.

Copyright © 2015 craftingmom; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 29
  • Wow 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This is so nerve wrecking! Where is Wyatt? Could it be someone mommies dearest hired? Or is it someone else completely? Who is Marc's dad? Could he be useful?

 

So many questions! I'll stay tuned for the next chapter.

Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

I'm glad they got Wyatt's students involved. The information they gave will get the police involved sooner. I wonder who Marc's father could be and how he could help? Apparently Wyatt has been assuming that his captor was Darrin. Now that he sees someone else that he doesn't know, it puts a whole new picture on things. At least with Darrin he knew what he was dealing with. Poor Wyatt.

Link to comment

Thank you for this chapter. It's great how the suspense builds in two directions - Bryan and Sarah finally getting at a way to begin unpicking the mystery, and Wyatt finally meeting his captor. Also nice is the interplay between the students, which was colorful.
Of course, the problem is that now everyone needs the next chapter. Now.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Great chapter! I'm guessing that the 'mail' at his mother's house is a fake "Dear John" letter to Bryan from 'Wyatt'. She seems awfully eager to get it into his hands. Things are going to get a lot worse before they get better. I just hope that Bryan keeps the faith and realizes that Wyatt would never leave him voluntarily.

Link to comment

An unknown suspect or an accomplice? This whodunit just became twistier. We know MD (yes I'm using that too, TY) wants Bryan with a girl and Darrin wants Wyatt back. A new suspect is a whole new game. I'm thinking accomplice to MD.
How convenient is it that the envelope is left with her. I hope Bryan won't be swayed by the contents. Wyatt's going to need him more than ever!
Maybe Marc's dad an officer, mayor, connected somehow and can get the ball rolling.
Great chapter, but of course I want more....

Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Even though it was a man who came down the stairs, I still believe that MD is the ringleader behind Wyatt's adbuction. Her telephone conversation with Bryan was off which just added to evidence that pointed to her guilt.
I find it interesting that she gave a name of a cab company to Bryan. She would have been smarter to say she was focussing on Wyatt, so didn't pay attention to the name. I guess she doesn't think Bryan will contact them. The only other option is that he was picked up and she had him abducted from somewhere else. Ah, so many theories....
I am really glad that Bryan has Sarah on his side. I think she will live up to the saying "good things come in small packages" whether it's being a supportive friend or a tiger with claws big enough to deal with MD and her helper(s).
Telling the kids turned out to have an unexpected bonus. While Bryan may think that Marc's talking to his dad can't help that much, I think it will. Something tells me that Marc's dad is a member of the local police force - a high ranking member at that, who has power and influence to get the search for Wyatt up and running.
It was a bit of a surprise to see another chapter so soon after the previous one, but most welcome nonetheless. Thank you CM for another great instalment.

Link to comment
On 08/21/2015 10:40 AM, flamingo136 said:

Excellent cliffhanger...excellent !!!!!!!!!!! :)Mike

hehe, glad you liked it!

Link to comment
On 08/21/2015 09:26 AM, Reader1810 said:

Even though it was a man who came down the stairs, I still believe that MD is the ringleader behind Wyatt's adbuction. Her telephone conversation with Bryan was off which just added to evidence that pointed to her guilt.

I find it interesting that she gave a name of a cab company to Bryan. She would have been smarter to say she was focussing on Wyatt, so didn't pay attention to the name. I guess she doesn't think Bryan will contact them. The only other option is that he was picked up and she had him abducted from somewhere else. Ah, so many theories....

I am really glad that Bryan has Sarah on his side. I think she will live up to the saying "good things come in small packages" whether it's being a supportive friend or a tiger with claws big enough to deal with MD and her helper(s).

Telling the kids turned out to have an unexpected bonus. While Bryan may think that Marc's talking to his dad can't help that much, I think it will. Something tells me that Marc's dad is a member of the local police force - a high ranking member at that, who has power and influence to get the search for Wyatt up and running.

It was a bit of a surprise to see another chapter so soon after the previous one, but most welcome nonetheless. Thank you CM for another great instalment.

Yeah, you'll find out about the cab and Marc's dad soon (but you're right about him).

 

I actually am a few chapters ahead now, so I think I can post twice a week now, probably Sun and Thurs. until I'm done (then I can do every day...) :)

Link to comment
On 08/21/2015 09:24 AM, Defiance19 said:

An unknown suspect or an accomplice? This whodunit just became twistier. We know MD (yes I'm using that too, TY) wants Bryan with a girl and Darrin wants Wyatt back. A new suspect is a whole new game. I'm thinking accomplice to MD.

How convenient is it that the envelope is left with her. I hope Bryan won't be swayed by the contents. Wyatt's going to need him more than ever!

Maybe Marc's dad an officer, mayor, connected somehow and can get the ball rolling.

Great chapter, but of course I want more....

The man is a bit of a mystery that will be revealed shortly, but you all are on the right track--can't throw you guys off for long!

So glad you enjoyed it and I think I'm ahead enough to post twice a week now, so hopefully you won't have to wait too long.

Link to comment
On 08/21/2015 08:05 AM, Valkyrie said:

Great chapter! I'm guessing that the 'mail' at his mother's house is a fake "Dear John" letter to Bryan from 'Wyatt'. She seems awfully eager to get it into his hands. Things are going to get a lot worse before they get better. I just hope that Bryan keeps the faith and realizes that Wyatt would never leave him voluntarily.

Yep, good guess! Bryan will have a hard time of it with his mom harping in his ear, but he has Sarah to keep him solid.

Link to comment
On 08/21/2015 07:37 AM, Parker Owens said:

Thank you for this chapter. It's great how the suspense builds in two directions - Bryan and Sarah finally getting at a way to begin unpicking the mystery, and Wyatt finally meeting his captor. Also nice is the interplay between the students, which was colorful.

Of course, the problem is that now everyone needs the next chapter. Now.

Yes, there are two sides running right now that will have to collide eventually... Hope I continue to do their story justice for you all!

Link to comment
On 08/21/2015 06:10 AM, drpaladin said:

I'm glad they got Wyatt's students involved. The information they gave will get the police involved sooner. I wonder who Marc's father could be and how he could help? Apparently Wyatt has been assuming that his captor was Darrin. Now that he sees someone else that he doesn't know, it puts a whole new picture on things. At least with Darrin he knew what he was dealing with. Poor Wyatt.

Yeah, I think Wyatt had hope that he could reason/argue/etc with Darrin because he knows how he works. This new guy puts his captivity in a whole new light for him.

Link to comment
On 08/21/2015 04:58 AM, Puppilull said:

This is so nerve wrecking! Where is Wyatt? Could it be someone mommies dearest hired? Or is it someone else completely? Who is Marc's dad? Could he be useful?

 

So many questions! I'll stay tuned for the next chapter.

Marc's dad does come into the picture next chapter. Sorry to keep you so on edge... well, sort of :)

Link to comment

Wow, reading the reviews made me think of something that hadn't even entered my head: the large envelope 'mailed' to MD's house could be a fake Dear Bryan letter. Why on earth would Wyatt send something like this to MD's house and not Bryan's? That wouldn't make any sense. Not that Wyatt would do that anyway. Just sayin'...

 

Was it the butler who came down the stairs? I can't remember if you described him. Why did seeing this person send Wyatt into a state of panic? Does he know this man? Or, if it is the butler, then he'll know MD is behind all this.

 

Whew! Thank God I don't have to wait days to read the next chapter! There's something to be said for not being able to read your favorite stories for weeks! lol

Link to comment

So glad I don't have to wait for the next chapter, this is getting very intense and scary. :o

 

Bryan is too worried to think straight what to do next, he's lucky to have Sarah doing that. And now they have all the students wanting to help as well. Better read on and find out who it was coming to see Wyatt :huh:

Link to comment
On 10/09/2015 05:06 AM, Suvitar said:

So glad I don't have to wait for the next chapter, this is getting very intense and scary. :o

 

Bryan is too worried to think straight what to do next, he's lucky to have Sarah doing that. And now they have all the students wanting to help as well. Better read on and find out who it was coming to see Wyatt :huh:

:) So glad you are enjoying it. I think you'll find it gets even more intense, so it's good that it's complete and you can read straight through!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..