Jump to content
    craftingmom
  • Author
  • 2,415 Words
  • 5,131 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Lie of the Serpent - 1. Chapter 1

Chapter 1

 

He watched the man from his car. His tawny hair covered his face from view, but he knew every inch of it. Absorbed in the book he was reading on his tablet, he was oblivious to others in the park. Unconsciously biting his soft pink bottom lip, the man had no idea of the effect he was having on him.

The sun glinted off of his dark sunglasses as he lifted his head to glance around. The slender fingers slid into the khaki pants to pull out a cell phone, obviously checking the time. Biting his bottom lip again, he glanced around the busy park. As timid as the man was, he was the most beautiful person in the world.

And he's mine.

He slipped from his car, skirting around the grove of trees and slipped behind the bench the younger man was sitting on. It was unusually warm for this early spring day, and his target's trench coat was draped over the back of the bench next to him with his dark brown hat lying on it.

He lifted his large hands to grab him, but the honey-haired man whipped around to face him, his amber eyes widening in surprise.

"Bryan, you son-of-a-bitch, you scared the crap out of me," he snapped.

Bryan Foxgrove laughed as he jumped the bench to sit next to his boyfriend. He leaned forward and gently kissed those soft lips he'd been admiring. "Sorry, Wyatt. My meeting ran late."

"You're the one who told me to meet you here."

"I know, I know. I also know how much you love the outdoors, so I thought if I ran late, you wouldn't mind so much—"

"Couldn't manage to send a text?" Wyatt frowned at him.

"I could have, but what fun would that be?"

"You're an idiot."

"An idiot in love," Bryan smirked, stealing another kiss.

Wyatt gave him a playful shove, rolling his eyes, and Bryan laughed.

Bryan knew that Wyatt Kinnon still had a hard time accepting that Bryan truly loved him. Wyatt's rocky past with Darrin had jaded his view of people saying they loved him. Darrin had been domineering and controlling in the name of love, and it had taken Wyatt several months before he would even consider that Bryan might actually mean it.

Bryan had worked long and hard to win Wyatt's heart. They had met through a mutual friend. Sarah Demchik was Wyatt's best friend and they had apparently known each other for several years, attending the same college even. While Wyatt had pursued a teaching degree and currently taught high school geometry, Sarah had gotten a business degree. Even though Wyatt had several other friends who were teachers, Sarah was one of the only friends he had formed a deeper friendship with.

Meeting Wyatt had been one of the best days of Bryan's life. It seemed like it was one of those fateful meetings that just made all the pieces in his life fall into place. Bryan had been battling his sexuality for years, trying to fit in with his parents' notion of marrying a nice girl and settling down into a family. He'd always found both males and females attractive, but growing up with his southern-bred mother, he'd never really considered a guy as a potential partner. It was only in the year before meeting Wyatt that he'd come to realize that he was probably bisexual. While he found some women pretty and fun to be with, none of them elicited any sense of desire for a long term relationship. He had always felt more of a kinship with other guys.

It took some courage, but he had finally taken the step out of the closet to explore the side of himself that was attracted to men. The rounds of bars and clubs helped him realize his true nature. He'd dated several wonderful men, many of whom he was still friends with, but still hadn't found the one he truly connected with.

Until Sarah dragged Wyatt with her to a company picnic.

When he'd seen those golden eyes crinkle with laughter and the bright smile, Bryan had been lost. Sarah introduced them and then suddenly disappeared, leaving Wyatt shifting nervously on his feet. Bryan suspected that Sarah was secretly trying to set them up as she had hinted several times at the office that she had a friend who was a little shy but who had a great personality once you got to know him.

Sarah couldn't have been more right. Bryan Foxgrove and Wyatt Kinnon matched perfectly. Even with Wyatt being a bit gun-shy about relationships, Bryan had gently pursued the man over the next few months. He had even taken Wyatt to meet his mother, something he hadn't done with any of the other men he'd dated. Knowing how possessive his mother was of him, he hadn't wanted to introduce just anyone to her. He loved his mother to death, and even though she'd been politely happy for him, he knew she was still holding out hope that this was just a 'phase' and that he would find a nice woman to settle down with.

His mother was still constantly cautioning him about letting his heart get in too deep. While she seemed glad that he was happy with Wyatt, she repeatedly expressed her concerns in private on each of his weekly lunch visits. She was worried that 'that guy' was taking over his life. Of course, he'd insisted that wasn't true. But then she'd asked him when the last time he'd visited his brother was. That had stopped him cold. He had let his visits with Eddie slip to the side a bit. Usually he tried to go couple times a month on a weekend since it was a bit of a drive to try during the week, but it had been almost two months since he'd last gone when she'd asked. The rebuke made him realize that maybe he didn't have to spend every weekend with Wyatt.

He sometimes picked his mother up before visiting his brother Eddie at Sunset Farms, which was an hour or more drive away depending on traffic. His brother had been diagnosed at a rather young age with an intellectual disability as well as mild autism. After their father had passed away a few years ago, his mother had found it necessary to put Eddie in an assisted living care facility. Eddie was older than Bryan by five years, and Bryan loved Eddie to death. His older brother was like a big kid even as he'd grown into a huge bear of a man. Bryan thought of him as a huge teddy bear, and he enjoyed his visits with Eddie immensely, but they were tiresome as well. Eddie constantly demanded Bryan's attention, wanting to play or show him his artwork. He was extremely protective as well though, and his massive size made him a bit dangerous.

Once, another resident had accidently run into Bryan, nearly knocking him down. Bryan had been shocked by Eddie's reaction. His sweet brother morphed into a raging bull, shoving the other guy against the wall and yelling about how 'he'd hurt Bryan, no one hurts Bryan.' Bryan had been so stunned by his brother's fierce reaction that it took him a few seconds to pull Eddie off the other man and calm his brother down.

It was why he'd resolved to make sure he didn't go so long without visiting anymore. Soon, he'd take Wyatt with him. Bryan had told Eddie about his boyfriend, but Eddie didn't seem to quite get that Bryan was in love with the man, that Wyatt had become his life. Eddie often forgot Bryan had ever even talked about Wyatt before. It hurt a bit because Bryan wanted to share his joy with his brother, but Eddie didn't always understand more complex concepts. Happy, sad, hurt, anger, surprise he got, they were simple emotions that happened automatically. Love, hate, jealousy, shame, guilt, pride were more complex, requiring cognitive processing and self-reflection that were harder for Eddie to understand.

So all Eddie would ask was if Bryan was happy. That was all that mattered to him. Bryan wished that was all that mattered to his mother too. At least then maybe she'd stop with the third degree about whether or not he was sure that Wyatt was right for him. Of course, she would end the inquisition with "As long as you are happy."

He wanted to scream at her, "I AM!" But he knew it would just offend her that he'd breached etiquette by yelling at his mother. So he'd bit his tongue, reminding himself that he adored Wyatt and his mother's opinion didn't matter in the long run. He'd even considered cutting back on his weekly lunch visits, but he knew she was lonely after the passing of his father. And lunch was easy since she lived in an old historic home just outside of town near where he worked.

Last week he had informed her that he and Wyatt were currently planning to move in together as soon as Wyatt's lease was up at his apartment, a step that Bryan considered a huge milestone, especially considering Wyatt's concerns about the longevity of their relationship. Of course, his mother had had her concerns as usual, but Bryan hadn't informed her of all his plans.

A plan he was enacting today. Now.

As Wyatt shut down his tablet, Bryan shoved his hands in his pocket, nervously fiddling with the soft leather and silver band that he'd carried around for over a week now. His heart thumped in his chest. This man had given Bryan everything, had laid his heart out for Bryan to love, to cherish. Now Bryan wanted to give him something in return.

"So what are we doing?" Wyatt finally asked as he reached for his coat and hat.

Bryan stopped him from putting the fedora on by taking his hand, surprising Wyatt. "Just... wait a minute, okay?"

"Oo—kay," Wyatt drawled out, frowning.

Bryan took a deep breath, trying to calm his nerves. "I need to talk to you for a few minutes."

He heard the smaller man's breath hitch and saw his jaw tighten, and immediately knew that he must look damn serious, and it had scared Wyatt. Shit, now Wyatt thought something bad was up.

"Here?" Wyatt swallowed, the fear of rejection obvious in those soft amber eyes.

Bryan could have cursed himself for his wording and his own nervousness, but he didn't have time to say anything as a couple of Wyatt's students came flying towards them on skateboards. The two boys hopped off their boards and kicked them up into their hand with practiced ease.

"Hey, Mr. Kinnon!" the teenager greeted. "How's it going?"

Bryan watched his lover struggling hide his worry and pasted on a bright smile for the boys. "Marc, Greg, how are you enjoying spring break?"

"Great, man," the taller one greeted. "How about you? This your guy?"

Bryan almost burst out laughing at how blunt the teen was, but it wasn't like Wyatt wasn't out at school. He wasn't the only gay teacher at the high school, just the only unattached one.

Wyatt, of course, flushed at the comment but managed to nod. "At the moment, yes."

At the moment? Bryan frowned. We'll fucking see about that.

Bryan felt the two boys assessing him, and he got the distinct impression that they were sizing up whether or not he was good enough for their teacher. The shorter one finally nodded, apparently offering his approval.

"Looks like an okay guy."

"Thank you, Greg." Wyatt cast as glance at him, and Bryan felt the hope and desire bleed over him. "He is."

Marc burst into a wide grin. "Cool. You be good to our man here," the boy addressed Bryan. "He's the best teacher ever."

Bryan grinned, elated by the protective possessiveness of his boyfriend's students. He knew how much his students liked and accepted him, but it was another thing to see it so blatantly displayed.

"I most certainly will," Bryan assured them, as Wyatt ran a hand over his face to hide his embarrassment.

"Thank you, boys." Wyatt waved his hand to encourage them to be on their way. The teens chuckled as they dropped their skateboards back to the sidewalk and took off. Wyatt pinned Bryan with a glare. "You had to pick here to do this."

"Yes," Bryan whispered, leaning closer and wrapping his free hand around Wyatt's neck. "This is the perfect place to do this." His lips brushed against Wyatt's, eliciting a startled gasp that Bryan readily took advantage of. He slipped his tongue over Wyatt's, delving into the man's sweet mouth. Wyatt moaned, the tension melting away under Bryan's hand.

"Way to go, Mr. Kinnon!"

The shout followed by several whistles of approval broke the intimate moment, causing them both to laugh as Wyatt buried his face against Bryan's shoulder.

"Thank you, Marc," Wyatt finally called back when he could breathe again.

Bryan could see the boys, now with several others hooting and hollering on the other side of the fountain. He was still shaking with laughter when Wyatt finally lifted his head to the kids.

"Don't you boys have some place else to be?" Wyatt called.

"Nope!" Greg smiled mischievously. "Just hanging out at the park. Enjoying the fresh air."

Bryan couldn't help the chuckle that rose from his throat as Wyatt rolled his eyes. When he stood abruptly, grabbing Bryan's hand, Bryan nearly jumped.

"Let's go talk somewhere else." Wyatt tugged his hand, taking a step as he reached for his coat.

"No." Bryan pulled back, spinning Wyatt to face him. Wyatt frowned down at where Bryan was still sitting.

"I really don't think we need my students spreading rumors about us."

"Let them spread rumors about this then." Bryan dropped to his knee in front of Wyatt, eliciting a shocked gasp as well as sudden interested silence from the small horde of teens lingering nearby.

Those golden eyes widened in astonishment at Bryan on his knee in front of him. "What the fuck are you doing, Bry? Get up."

Bryan shook his head. "Not until you answer me one thing." He drew his hand out of his pocket, presenting a hand-tooled leather bracelet, wrapping it around Wyatt's wrist, but hesitating before clasping it. "Will you marry me?"

Copyright © 2015 craftingmom; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 38
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

Interesting beginning. I'm looking forward to seeing where you take this story. :)

Link to comment

I was really excited to see you have started posting another story :*) I have enjoyed everything else you've published here and this one seems quite promising as well! I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes!

Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Lie of the Serpent. The serpent must be Wyatt's ex, yes?
As with your other stories, you've caught my attention. Look forward to more chapters as the story progresses.

Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

As usual, you have me with the first chapter. I can't wait to see what happens next.

Link to comment

Another awesome beginning and we're all ready for this journey!!! Can't wait! :2thumbs:

Link to comment
On 07/15/2015 08:11 AM, Valkyrie said:

Interesting beginning. I'm looking forward to seeing where you take this story. :)

Thanks, hope you enjoy it.

Link to comment
On 07/15/2015 08:13 AM, Kjamieson said:

I was really excited to see you have started posting another story :*) I have enjoyed everything else you've published here and this one seems quite promising as well! I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes!

Wow, thank you! I'm so glad you like my stories. Hope this one doesn't disappoint!

Link to comment
On 07/15/2015 10:47 AM, Reader1810 said:

Lie of the Serpent. The serpent must be Wyatt's ex, yes?

As with your other stories, you've caught my attention. Look forward to more chapters as the story progresses.

Glad to have you back! Look forward to seeing what you think!

Link to comment
On 07/15/2015 12:53 PM, flamingo136 said:

O GOODY........another CM story :) Great start......can't wait for the next chapter.........Mike

hehe, thanks!

Link to comment
On 07/15/2015 01:04 PM, Defiance19 said:

Great start! Ready to see where it goes...

thank you, it is different this time in that the MCs are already in love.

Link to comment
On 07/15/2015 01:21 PM, drpaladin said:

As usual, you have me with the first chapter. I can't wait to see what happens next.

Glad to have caught your attention again! hope you enjoy!

Link to comment
On 07/15/2015 01:40 PM, Onim said:

Another awesome beginning and we're all ready for this journey!!! Can't wait! :2thumbs:

Hold on for a tense ride! You know there will be a bit (okay, maybe a lot) of tense moments. :)

Link to comment
On 07/15/2015 09:19 PM, Puppilull said:

I loved the opening and will follow with interest.

Thank you, hope you continue to enjoy!

Link to comment

Mom!! You're back!!!!

 

Loved the first chapter! It's so great that Wyatt's students didn't bat an eye when he and Bryan were kissing. That's how it should be. :)

 

On to chapter two - I hope Wyatt says YES!!

Link to comment
On 07/20/2015 12:53 PM, Lisa said:

Mom!! You're back!!!!

 

Loved the first chapter! It's so great that Wyatt's students didn't bat an eye when he and Bryan were kissing. That's how it should be. :)

 

On to chapter two - I hope Wyatt says YES!!

hehe, yeah, guess I can't stay away long! Hope you find this one intriguing. :)

Link to comment
On 10/07/2015 04:15 AM, Suvitar said:

The beginning of this chapter was a bit sinister and the end was so sweet :)

hehe, yeah, it did have a bit of a sinister kind of start--like someone was stalking him... I hope you enjoy the story!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..