Jump to content
    craftingmom
  • Author
  • 2,563 Words
  • 3,438 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Lie of the Serpent - 22. Chapter 22

Chapter 22

 

Wyatt swallowed again, his throat sore and dry from the tube abrading his windpipe. But at least the obnoxious thing was gone. He'd coughed a few times, causing his chest to explode with pain, but the doctor said it was normal. His chest and lungs would feel sore for a while. They'd put a small tube across his face, blowing air into his nose and looping over his ears. Oxygen, they said. But at least it wasn't the ventilator.

He was sure he drifted in and out a bit while the doctor checked him over, listening to his lungs, checking his pupils, muscle responses... Wyatt vaguely heard the man explain what drugs he was on and what he might expect to happen over the next few days, months. Whatever.

Where the hell was Bryan? He just needed Bryan. He had to tell Bryan about his mother... and his brother.

"Bry...an," he rasped, begging the nurse to find his lover as he fought the exhaustion fighting to take over again.

"Shhh, here, take a couple ice chips," the nurse murmured, offering a small spoonful.

The soothing coolness slipped over his tongue and down his chafed throat. God, that felt good. He accepted a couple more small spoonfuls, sighing gratefully.

The nurse smiled, patting his shoulder softly. He winced slightly and remembered the stab wound he'd received. Damn, he'd forgotten about that.

Dr. Phillips noticed. "Your shoulder just needed a good cleaning and a few stitches. Take it easy, Wyatt. I'll go get Bryan for you, now. Okay?"

Wyatt nodded as the nurse turned away as well. "Maybe we'll try some jello later, okay?"

He smiled at her wanly, blinking heavily. Hell, anything would taste good right now, but the doctor had said they'd ease him back onto solid foods slowly.

Wyatt turned his head at the sound of Dr. Phillips greeting Bryan. Wyatt watched the man he loved slink into the room. He looked so damn tired.

"Bry...an," he croaked, reaching his free hand out.

Bryan flew across the room, grabbing desperately at his hand, and Wyatt nearly cried at his lover's desperation, his heart ache.

"Shh, Wyatt, you don't need to talk, okay? Just rest," Bryan assured.

Wyatt shook his head. He had to tell Bryan. Warn him about his mother hurting Eddie, but fuck he was so damn tired. "Help...help..."

Bryan frowned. "Everything's okay now. I promise."

Wyatt closed his eyes, trying to gather enough strength, but the drugs, and his body, fought him. Damn it, he just needed to say a few words. Why the hell was it so hard? "Your...brother..."

Bryan leaned over and kissed his forehead. "Don't. Think about that right now. Please," Wyatt vaguely heard Bryan's voice beg as his mind swirled. "He won't hurt you."

No... Wyatt's mind protested, but he knew he was already drifting off.

 

@@@@

 

Bryan let the tears fall freely as he watched Wyatt's worry fade away to the peacefulness of sleep. Fuck, he was afraid that Wyatt would hate and fear Eddie now. After what his mother had done, using Eddie like she had to hurt Wyatt, how could he not?

All Wyatt probably knew was that this huge man had helped his mother chain him to her basement. While Bryan was sure Eddie hadn't actually hurt Wyatt, had even tried to help him according to what Eddie had relayed, Wyatt wouldn't have seen it that way. All he'd know was that Eddie had been cooperating with his mother.

God, he wished he'd introduced them sooner. Maybe then Wyatt would understand Eddie better, would be able to forgive him easier. Bryan couldn't give up Eddie, and he certainly didn't want to give up Wyatt, but would Wyatt be able to live with the man who'd help his mother hold him captive?

Bryan settled himself in the chair next to his love, grasping Wyatt's hand in both of his as he prayed Wyatt would forgive him, forgive Eddie. Fuck, if he lost Wyatt now...after just getting him back...

Bryan pressed kisses to the back of Wyatt's hand.

Please...

 

@@@@

 

"What if he never forgives me?"

Wyatt struggled to focus on the words. He drew in a breath, and it felt lighter and easier than it had before.

"Oh, honey, you have to give him a chance," a female voice stated.

Wyatt shoved the fog of sleep away, wondering what Bryan was talking about and to who. Who the hell did he want forgiveness from? Eddie?

"You don't understand what my family did to him," Bryan argued back. "How can he—"

"Bryan?" Wyatt managed to croak out. Apparently, his voice wasn't much better. It felt like sandpaper.

"Wyatt!" Bryan jumped up from the seat, leaning over him. The nurse—that must have been who Bryan had been talking to—walked over to his other side, checking over his monitors.

"How are you feeling, honey?" she asked.

"Thir..sty," he mumbled, and she smiled gently.

She handed Bryan a cup with a bendy straw. "Here. Take care of your man while I go find the doctor. He'll want to talk to you now that you're awake again."

Wyatt noticed that Bryan's eyes were bloodshot; dark circles under his eyes told Wyatt Bryan hadn't gotten any rest since he'd last seen him. Of course, he had no idea how long he'd been out this time. Bryan offered the straw and Wyatt took a soothing sip followed by a deep breath.

Shaking off the lingering effects of sleep, Wyatt found he felt better than the last time he remembered being awake. When he looked up at Bryan, he was sure the man was going to start crying again.

Fuck, was he dying or something? Why was Bryan still so upset?

"Bryan?" Wyatt managed to question. "Tell... me."

Bryan's smile was forced, and Wyatt's heart jumped. Fuck, he was worse than he'd thought. But he felt better than he had before...

"I love you, babe. I love you so much," Bryan's voice was hoarse with emotion.

And Wyatt felt his own tears welling up. God, he didn't want Bryan to hurt like this, but he couldn't help being glad to at least have the opportunity to tell him how much he loved him too.

"I love you too," Wyatt breathed. "I'm sorry..."

"Sorry? Why would you be sorry? I'm the one—"

"Bryan," Wyatt interrupted, grasping his fiancé's hand. Of course, I guess he isn't my fiancé anymore...he'll find someone else after...after I'm gone. "Please. Please promise me you'll move on...after I'm...gone."

Bryan's face crumpled. "Oh, God, you are leaving me, aren't you? You won't give me a chance to make it up to you?"

Wyatt frowned. What the hell was he talking about? Make what up to him? "What...? I don't understand..."

"I know I've hurt you, my family has hurt you, but—"

"You... know...who?" Wyatt rasped. He wasn't sure how much Bryan knew about his abduction, but the guilt in Bryan's demeanor told him he probably knew his mother had been involved.

Bryan nodded morosely. "Yeah, I know. God, Wyatt, I'm so fucking sorry. I never thought she could—"

Wyatt shook his head fiercely. He didn't know how much Bryan knew, but he had to make him believe none of it was his fault. It was plain that Bryan was blaming himself for his mother's actions. "Not... your... fault."

"I know, but—"

"Here we are," the nurse interrupted, leading Dr. Phillips into the room, cutting off their conversation.

"Wyatt, how are you doing?" the doctor greeted.

Wyatt eyed the smiling man. Strange, the man doesn't look like I'm dying, Wyatt frowned. "I feel better."

"Good. Good. That's what I want to hear. I'm going to listen to your chest, see how the pneumonia is clearing up. You've been asleep for quite awhile, giving your body a chance to heal." Dr. Phillips slid aside the top of the hospital gown and placed the stethoscope on his chest. He moved it around, before asking Wyatt to sit up so he could listen to his breathing from the back. When Wyatt finally sat back, Dr. Phillips was smiling at him. "It sounds much better. I think we may be able to move you to a regular room tomorrow. You'll probably still be here a few more days, but hopefully by the end of the week you can rest up in your own bed."

Wyatt frowned. Wait...what? "I...I'm confused."

"About what?" Dr. Phillips asked.

"I thought..." Wyatt looked over at Bryan, who was smiling through his tears, before turning back to the doctor. "Am I not... dying?"

"Dying? No," Dr. Phillips assured, with a small chuckle. "I think you're out of the woods there. Not that we didn't have some moments of worry."

"Then why the fuck are you looking at me like I am?" he demanded of Bryan. "Is something else wrong?"

Dr. Phillips frowned, glancing at Bryan who still looked upset. "No, you're doing well. Much better than we expected actually."

Bryan's face screwed up in torment, confusing both Wyatt and the doctor.

"Bryan, what...what's wrong?"

"Fuck Wyatt, I'm so sorry. You must hate us—my family—for what happened. I can understand why you wouldn't want to be near me again. But please..."

Oh fuck, Wyatt almost chuckled at the absurdity. "Fuck, Bryan, you made me think I was dying."

Bryan's eyes widened in horror. "Oh, god no, I just... please give me a chance..."

"A chance for what?"

"To make it up to you. To earn back your love. To—"

"God, you can be so stupid sometimes." Wyatt rolled his eyes, using the hand Bryan was clutching to pull him closer. "I love you, you idiot. I never stopped loving you. Why the hell would you think that?"

"Because it was my mother who nearly killed you... because of me," Bryan whispered.

Wyatt's amber eyes softened, knowing how hard Bryan must be taking the fact that his mother had betrayed them both like that. "She...she was sick, Bryan. She thought she was saving you from me."

Bryan choked back a sob, bringing Wyatt's hand up and kissing the palm.

"But Bryan... your brother... " Wyatt struggled with how to tell Bryan what his mother had done to Eddie. Bryan had to know—

"Shh, Wyatt, it's okay," Bryan whispered, but his voice cracked, and Wyatt was confused by the look of fear and worry. "I—I know Eddie...was involved. But I swear he'd never hurt you—"

Wyatt abruptly realized Bryan must be afraid that Wyatt would hate his brother, that Wyatt would blame Eddie as well as their mother for what happened. And Wyatt knew Eddie meant everything to Bryan.

"Fuck, no, Bry." Wyatt shook his head. "He didn't. He tried...he tried to help." Wyatt felt his eyes dampen. "But your..." he couldn't bring himself to say it, "...but she... hurt him. She used him, Bryan..."

Bryan's eyes widened. "You... you don't... hate Eddie?"

"Hell no," Wyatt said vehemently. "He helped me, Bryan. He really tried. I know he wanted to do more, but your... your mother had him terrified. She...she's hurt him before."

Wyatt was surprised to see Bryan nodding. He knew?

"I—I know, Wyatt. Eddie finally told me. God, I feel like shit that I couldn't see how sick she was, that she could do that to Eddie. To you." Bryan broke down, and Wyatt knew the guilt was weighing him down.

"Bryan. Please. It's not your fault. No one saw it," Wyatt pleaded, but he knew it would take a lot of time for his lover to get over his mother's betrayal. "But you have to protect Eddie," he insisted. "You can't let her hurt him—"

"She can't," Bryan said suddenly, fiercely. "And she'll never hurt you again either. She's dead, Wyatt."

Wyatt stared at him in confusion. Dead? He'd expected her to be in jail, if she got caught, but...dead?

"I—I killed her," Bryan admitted, and Wyatt sucked in a breath. Oh, shit, what the hell?

"I...I shoved her...when she tried to kill you, with a knife. She actually did stab Eddie in the arm, while he was protecting you. When I shoved her, she tripped, slipped on the mess in the pantry, and fell down the stairs. Broke her neck."

Oh, thank God, Wyatt breathed. For a moment, he'd thought Bryan had intentionally killed his mother and that was something he was sure Bryan would never recover from. But he'd just been protecting Eddie, protecting him—Bryan should know that. "Bryan, that was an accident..."

Bryan raked a hand through his midnight hair. "I know, I know. That's what everyone keeps saying, but still..."

"Babe," Wyatt sighed, feeling suddenly exhausted. Damn meds. "Please."

Bryan must have seen something in his eyes because he deflated, those blue eyes swimming with concern, love. He nodded. "Yeah, okay. You're right. I'm sorry."

Wyatt felt his eyelids blink heavily. "No need... to be sorry. I love you."

"God, I love you too." Bryan's lips pressed against his forehead.

Dr. Phillips smiled widely. "Well, I'm so glad all that got worked out. Now you can focus on getting well—both of you. I'll be back to check on you later."

"Thanks," Wyatt nodded with a huge yawn.

"So, you're okay with Eddie?" Bryan asked again. Wyatt smiled at his need for reassurance.

"Yes, he's a sweet guy. I hope to get to know him better, if he'll let me."

"Oh, he'll let you. He was worried about you." Bryan settled back in the chair. "He's...he's staying at my house right now. With Sarah."

Wyatt blinked at the mention of his best friend. "Sarah. How is Sarah?"

Bryan smiled. "She's good, now that you are okay. God, Wyatt, I don't know what I would have done without her. She kept me going while you were...missing. I would have gone crazy without her."

Wyatt smiled weakly. "I'm so glad you had each other."

"And she's been wonderful helping out with Eddie the last couple days...so I could be here with you."

"Make sure to thank her for us." Wyatt nodded sleepily when another thought occurred to him. "Hey, maybe we can make the guest room Eddie's. If you think he'd be okay living with us."

Bryan laughed. "God, Wyatt, you're amazing."

"Yeah, yeah," he mumbled, not sure what Bryan found so amazing. He sighed heavily, finding it hard to keep his eyes open. "Damn, I want some real food."

"I'll tell the nurse. She said you could have some jello."

"Mmmm, sounds good..."

He heard Bryan chuckle, the sound resonating in Wyatt's heart. He thought he'd never hear that sweet sound again, see those bright blue eyes, and that soft smile.

He heard Bryan's deep timber rumble next to his ear. "Still want to marry me?"

Wyatt forced his eyes open, a determined grin on his face. "Oh, hell yeah. Just get me the fuck out of here, and we doing it."

Bryan chuckled. "Soon, babe, soon."

Wyatt felt himself drift off, images of Bryan holding him tightly, keeping him safe and warm, allowing him to slip into the first real, peaceful sleep he'd had in a week.

Copyright © 2015 craftingmom; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 30
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

This chapter was a tragicomedy of errors all around. Bryan thinking Wyatt hated him and his family. Wyatt thinking he was dying. All of that was well done. Now that things are sorted we can look for things to start the long road toward normalcy or some semblance of it. One thing Wyatt has to look forward to is the realization of how much everyone thought of him while he was missing and the outpouring of well wishers after he was found. I think he will be overcome with emotion just over that alone. Now I'm looking forward to the wrap up. I'm curious on how they will manage having Eddie all the time.

Link to comment

OMG, such a good chapter after all the pain previously... It was good to be able to laugh along with Wyatt and Bryan! I can't wait for Eddie and Wyatt to see each other again... Please let that scene be planned!!!!!

Link to comment

This chapter packs a hopeful punch into every paragraph. So very, very good to watch all the stars realign themselves properly. Will be listening for bells - wedding bells - soon.

Link to comment

This was like a breath of fresh air. It was funny and sad, and just plain amazing to see things coming together. Let's get Wyatt out of there like he said.. Eddie for one will be thrilled, and the man wants to be married!
Wonderful CM...

Link to comment

They finally could connect and talk for real! Sweet! And Wyatt ready to take Eddie in. That must be such a relief for Bryan.

 

Looking forward to a wedding...(?) LOL

Link to comment
On 10/01/2015 05:03 PM, Puppilull said:

They finally could connect and talk for real! Sweet! And Wyatt ready to take Eddie in. That must be such a relief for Bryan.

 

Looking forward to a wedding...(?) LOL

Almost there! :)

Link to comment
On 10/01/2015 12:51 PM, Defiance19 said:

This was like a breath of fresh air. It was funny and sad, and just plain amazing to see things coming together. Let's get Wyatt out of there like he said.. Eddie for one will be thrilled, and the man wants to be married!

Wonderful CM...

Thank you!

Link to comment
On 10/01/2015 12:21 PM, Robert Rex said:

What a great chapter--comedy, hope, and loose ends happily tied in place.

Another fine job!

:) Glad you enjoyed it!

Link to comment
On 10/01/2015 11:25 AM, Parker Owens said:

This chapter packs a hopeful punch into every paragraph. So very, very good to watch all the stars realign themselves properly. Will be listening for bells - wedding bells - soon.

:) Thank you so much! Think you will enjoy the next chapters! No more torment.

Link to comment
On 10/01/2015 11:00 AM, WriterJT said:

OMG, such a good chapter after all the pain previously... It was good to be able to laugh along with Wyatt and Bryan! I can't wait for Eddie and Wyatt to see each other again... Please let that scene be planned!!!!!

Thank you. And I guess I'll be adding an extra chapter! :)

Link to comment
On 10/01/2015 10:41 AM, drpaladin said:

This chapter was a tragicomedy of errors all around. Bryan thinking Wyatt hated him and his family. Wyatt thinking he was dying. All of that was well done. Now that things are sorted we can look for things to start the long road toward normalcy or some semblance of it. One thing Wyatt has to look forward to is the realization of how much everyone thought of him while he was missing and the outpouring of well wishers after he was found. I think he will be overcome with emotion just over that alone. Now I'm looking forward to the wrap up. I'm curious on how they will manage having Eddie all the time.

There was still a bit of miscommunication there :) but they're good now, or at least as good as they can be right now. :)

Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

It's great to see Wyatt awake and improving with seemingly few issues from his time in captivity. Loved his concern for Eddie as it really just shows what an inherently good person he is - Bryan is a lucky man.
I think WriterJT has it right that there should be a scene between Eddie and Wyatt just to clear things up and reinforce the bond they will have because we all know they are going to be close. If my memory serves me correctly, it was mentioned in an earlier chapter that Bryan is not too fond of one of Wyatt's favourite pastimes - hiking. Later in the story, I remember a reference to Eddie's love of hiking - sounds like Wyatt has found the perfect person to take hiking, don't you think? :)
Looking forward to what happens next. Great chapter CM. Thank you.

Link to comment
On 10/02/2015 08:53 AM, Reader1810 said:

It's great to see Wyatt awake and improving with seemingly few issues from his time in captivity. Loved his concern for Eddie as it really just shows what an inherently good person he is - Bryan is a lucky man.

I think WriterJT has it right that there should be a scene between Eddie and Wyatt just to clear things up and reinforce the bond they will have because we all know they are going to be close. If my memory serves me correctly, it was mentioned in an earlier chapter that Bryan is not too fond of one of Wyatt's favourite pastimes - hiking. Later in the story, I remember a reference to Eddie's love of hiking - sounds like Wyatt has found the perfect person to take hiking, don't you think? :)

Looking forward to what happens next. Great chapter CM. Thank you.

I think you read my mind :) Yes, Bryan wasn't fond of hiking like Wyatt is, and Eddie does love the outdoors. And I did write an extra chapter today for that scene with Wyatt and Eddie. So I hope it's okay. You all will have to let me know tomorrow.

Link to comment

That's settled then - Bryan loves Wyatt and Wyatt loves Bryan :wub: And they both want Eddie to live with them :)

Link to comment
On 10/10/2015 04:23 AM, Suvitar said:

That's settled then - Bryan loves Wyatt and Wyatt loves Bryan :wub: And they both want Eddie to live with them :)

Yep!

Link to comment

Glad we got all the confusion cleared up..They love each other,and are going to include Eddie into their relationship and that's all that matters..I would have loved to see the doctors face during that conversation though.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..