Jump to content
    craftingmom
  • Author
  • 1,586 Words
  • 3,400 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Lie of the Serpent - 23. Chapter 23

A short chapter, but one I wrote yesterday as I realized so many wanted to see Wyatt and Eddie's first meeting outside of the drama. So a bonus chapter! Still one more to go--the epilogue

Chapter 23

 

"Wait. I'll come get the door," Bryan called as he threw open the driver's side door to rush around to the passenger side.

Wyatt glared at him, yanking the door open himself. If Bryan didn't stop babying him soon, Wyatt was going to smack him upside the head. "I'm fine, Bryan."

His fiancé reached out a hand to help him out of the car, and Wyatt rolled his eyes. He accepted Bryan's hand because Bryan seemed to need to feel like he was helpful. Wyatt could tell that he still felt some guilt, even after several therapy sessions. All Wyatt could do was reassure Bryan that none of what happened was his fault.

As he pulled himself out of the car, he could feel the familiar tightness in his chest. He cursed under his breath as a cough rumbled from his chest. It wasn't so much that it hurt anymore, but that Bryan would overreact.

"You okay?" Bryan asked as if on cue. "You need to rest a minute?"

Wyatt grit his teeth. He had been out of the hospital for two weeks now. He was much better, still tired, and still had some coughing on occasion. Dr. Phillips said he'd still have a few weeks of recovery, but Wyatt felt good most of the time. He just had to be careful for a while not to overdo it. This was one of his first trips out of the house, and Bryan was a panicked wreck. But Wyatt had insisted on coming with Bryan this time.

"I'm fine, Bryan. Really."

Wyatt noticed the pained, worried look in Bryan's eyes and softened his expression. He reached up and cupped Bryan's jaw, leaning in to gently kiss him. "Really, babe. I'm good."

His fiancé's lips caught his as arms engulfed him gently. "I'm sorry. I'm doing it again, aren't I?"

Wyatt tilted his head back to grin up at Bryan. "Yeah, just a little."

"I'm sorry, I can't help it sometimes. When I think about how close I came to losing you—"

Wyatt's finger on his lips hushed him. "Stop. I'm okay, you're okay, and Eddie is okay. Listen to your therapist. Stop wallowing in guilt."

Bryan looked chagrinned as he nodded. "Come on. He'll be anxious to see you."

"Me too." Wyatt grinned. "Can't wait to see my hero again."

"He's asked about you every time I've come to visit him in the last couple weeks."

"You know he could have stayed at the house with us," Wyatt said. "I know you miss him."

Bryan shook his head. "It was better to let him come back here for a few weeks, to keep his routine. I needed to be there for you, and it would have been unfair to uproot him to my house and not have any time for him."

Wyatt nodded. Sarah and Bryan had talked about it while he was still in the hospital, and they thought it best to let Eddie stay for a few more weeks at the home. Bryan needed time to recover from his mother's betrayal, and Wyatt had needed extra care when he'd first come home from the hospital. Plus, Eddie's doctor would be able to help prepare Eddie mentally for the change.

Bryan had visited Eddie several times in the last couple of weeks alone, but Wyatt had insisted on coming this time. The next few visits, Bryan would bring Eddie back to his house to ease him into the idea of Bryan's house being his new home, for good.

They walked to the front desk of Beacon Estates and signed in. Wyatt was surprised by the rush of greetings and well wishes by the staff.

"Oh, Mr. Kinnon, we're all so glad you are okay," the receptionist gushed.

"Thank you." He nodded a greeting.

"Eddie will be so excited to see you. He's been worried."

Wyatt looked back at Bryan with a frown. "I thought you told him I was fine."

"I did, but telling him is one thing, seeing for himself is another," Bryan explained.

"Eddie's in the common room. You can go on back."

"Thanks."

Bryan led the way through a short hallway, pausing in the wide doorway as he scanned the room for his big brother. Wyatt hovered in the doorway. He involuntarily sucked in a breath as he spotted the big man on the far side of the room playing checkers. For an instant, he remembered his fear as Eddie's huge lumbering figure had come down those steps the first time, and his stomach clenched in dread.

But then Eddie looked up, those wide, innocent blue eyes meeting his, and melting away all the anxiety.

A bright wide smile lit Eddie's face as he jumped up and ran across the room, his arms wide. Wyatt watched Bryan brace for impact but was shocked when Eddie's bulk assailed him instead. Wyatt's breath hitched as Eddie wrapped him in his huge arms.

"Wyatt!" Eddie exclaimed.

Wyatt started to laugh, but a fit of coughing erupted instead, causing Eddie to jerk back with wide eyes.

"Eddie..." Bryan started, his hand already on Eddie's arm to pull him away. "Wyatt's still a little sick."

"I'm... fine," Wyatt choked out, offering the big man a smile.

Eddie's worried blue eyes matched Bryan's, and Wyatt couldn't help the coughing chuckle that bubbled out.

Abruptly, Wyatt felt himself swept off his feet, and he yelped in surprise as he was cradled in big arms being carried across the room.

"Oh, shit, Eddie—" Wyatt flailed for a moment.

"Eddie! Wait!" Bryan shouted, but Eddie was already carrying Wyatt to the couch.

"Wyatt still sick," Eddie said, as he gently put Wyatt down. "Mama didn't take care of you. Eddie will."

Wyatt's heart melted at Eddie's declaration. As Eddie sat down next to him, Wyatt wrapped an arm around him. "I know, Eddie. You did a good job. Thank you."

Bryan settled in the chair next to them, his eyes suspiciously damp. Eddie stared at his hands clenched in his lap.

"Should have done better," Eddie mumbled.

Wyatt placed his hand over Eddie's clenched ones, squeezing gently. "Eddie, you did all you could. I know that. I wouldn't have made it, if it wasn't for you."

Those bright eyes looked up at him. "I like you. You make Bryan happy."

Wyatt laughed as he saw Bryan wipe a hand across his eyes. "I like you too, Eddie. A lot. I hope you'll want to come live with Bryan and me."

Eddie nodded eagerly. "Bryan said Eddie could come visit some more."

Bryan cleared his throat. "Not just visit. Stay, Eddie. We want you to stay with us, as a family."

"A family? Like when papa lived with us?" Eddie asked curiously.

Wyatt worried that Bryan might break down at the mention of their father, but he didn't. Bryan smiled broadly through his watery eyes. "Yes, just like that."

Eddie frowned for a moment. "Don't want to live there."

Wyatt and Bryan exchanged worried glances, not sure why Eddie wouldn't want to come stay with them.

Bryan looked especially hurt. "Why not?"

"Wyatt hurt there. Eddie hurt there. Bryan hurt there. Don't want any more hurt," Eddie mumbled.

"Oh, shit, Eddie, no," Bryan blurted out as he realized Eddie thought they'd going to the plantation where they'd lived with their father.

"No, Eddie," Wyatt rushed out at the same time. "That's not what we mean. We'd be living at Bryan's house. Not...not the... "

"Not mama's house," Bryan supplied.

"Bryan's house?" Eddie looked up hopefully.

"Yes, remember? My house. You stayed there a couple nights after...after you helped Wyatt."

Eddie's eyes brightened. "Yes. Eddie likes that house."

"Good, so you'd want to come stay?" Wyatt asked.

Eddie nodded, reaching to hug Wyatt again. This time Wyatt was braced for it and managed to keep from being squeezed too hard.

"In a couple weeks, we'll get you moved in. We have a nice lady who will come stay with you when Wyatt and I are at work," Bryan added.

Eddie grinned broadly. "And we'll go outside?"

Wyatt chuckled. "All the time. I'm off until the fall, so you and I will have plenty of time to go out for walks and stuff." Wyatt caught Bryan's look, obviously worried he'd push himself too hard. "I'll be fine, Bryan."

Wyatt looked back at Eddie. "He's a bit of a worry-wart."

Eddie nodded his agreement. "Bryan likes to worry."

"Hey, hey," Bryan protested. "You two can't gang up on me!"

Wyatt grinned mischievously at Eddie. "Oh, I think we can."

For a moment, Eddie looked uncertain, but then he seemed to sense the joking camaraderie and nodded. "Yes, Wyatt and Eddie can."

Bryan pretended to pout.

Wyatt ignored him. "Plus, we need to get you moved in before the wedding."

"Wedding?" Eddie cocked his head, reminding Wyatt of a big puppy.

Bryan smiled. "Yes. Wyatt and I are getting married in a few weeks. I want you to stand with me as my best man."

"Best man?" Eddie frowned. "I your brother."

Bryan laughed. "Yes, Eddie. You are my best brother."

"Yes, best brother." Eddie beamed. "I be your best brother."

"You'll have an important job," Bryan continued. "You'll have to hold Wyatt's wedding ring. Think you can do that?"

Eddie nodded eagerly, glancing at the both of them. "Yes, Eddie take good care of it."

"I know you will, Eddie." Wyatt smiled. "I know you will."

Since this one was written yesterday, it is not beta edited, so please feel free to let me know if you see errors. Thanks for reading!
Copyright © 2015 craftingmom; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 31
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

This was a truly beautiful conclusion to the story. If for Eddie alone, the plantation wasn't the place to go. It would have been more practical from a logistics standpoint though. Great story as usual.

Link to comment

Oh, Wyatt and Eddie ganging up on Bryan was both funny and heartwarming. So nice Eddie can finally be part of a family again.

Link to comment
On 10/03/2015 02:39 AM, drpaladin said:

This was a truly beautiful conclusion to the story. If for Eddie alone, the plantation wasn't the place to go. It would have been more practical from a logistics standpoint though. Great story as usual.

Thank you. I think the plantation had too many memories to overcome and they all need a positive environment to heal.

Link to comment
On 10/03/2015 02:45 AM, Puppilull said:

Oh, Wyatt and Eddie ganging up on Bryan was both funny and heartwarming. So nice Eddie can finally be part of a family again.

So glad you like Eddie and Wyatt's meeting :)

Link to comment

What a gorgeous, touching chapter....you've made us all care for/be protective of/fall in love with Eddie! Not at all mushy, but powerful enough I sniffled all the way through--and can't blame it on my sinus infection, I'm taking too many drugs for that. Our heroes will be just fine, but Eddie is "special"--he's the guy who's added an bonus interest to a nicely structured story.

 

What a great story, and what a craftsman's job you've done on it!

Link to comment

Oh yes, and oh, yes. They have turned and turned and come round right. Like the way Wyatt and Eddie gang up on Bryan. They'll be wonderful and happy together. Many thanks for this story...

Link to comment

What a touching chapter, Mom! :) Eddie stole his whole scene! He's so cute. :)

 

I'm so glad they'll all be living together as one happy family. Hopefully, with the therapist helping him, Bryan can let go of all the guilt he feels.

 

Well, since you mentioned you wanted to be told of any errors...
'Bryan looked chagrinned' - chagrined only has one 'n'.
'Wyatt gritted his teeth' Grit is an irregular past tense (and present tense) verb, so you can say 'Wyatt grit his teeth'.
The capital 'H' for home should be lowercase b/c it's not a proper noun. If you said The Beacon Estates Home, then yes, it should be capitalized.
The verbs beamed, smiled, etc. are not dialogue tags, so they need a period after them, not a comma.

 

That's it! I wouldn't have said anything if you didn't ask...

Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Thank you for writing this chapter CM.
It was a wonderful little peek into the world of recovery of Wyatt, Bryan and Eddie
I love that Eddie went into Mama Bear (inherent in his being along with some input from Bryan and Papa) mode and carted Wyatt over to the sofa where he felt he would "feel better". So so sweet. As for ganging up on Bryan. I expect that was only the beginning... :lol:
I think too, that this is a nice bridge between all the terrible goings on and the happy future they will no doubt have.
Thanks again CM. :)

Link to comment

I loved it so much I might have squealed! The interplay between Eddie and Wyatt, just wonderful. I can just see them all together. Eddie, so much happier and Wyatt and Bryan doting older brothers. Glad to see Bryan working through his guilt.

Link to comment
On 10/03/2015 02:52 AM, Robert Rex said:

What a gorgeous, touching chapter....you've made us all care for/be protective of/fall in love with Eddie! Not at all mushy, but powerful enough I sniffled all the way through--and can't blame it on my sinus infection, I'm taking too many drugs for that. Our heroes will be just fine, but Eddie is "special"--he's the guy who's added an bonus interest to a nicely structured story.

 

What a great story, and what a craftsman's job you've done on it!

:thankyou:

Link to comment
On 10/03/2015 02:59 AM, Parker Owens said:

Oh yes, and oh, yes. They have turned and turned and come round right. Like the way Wyatt and Eddie gang up on Bryan. They'll be wonderful and happy together. Many thanks for this story...

:) So glad you liked this little interlude with Wyatt and Eddie.

Link to comment
On 10/03/2015 04:02 AM, Lisa said:

What a touching chapter, Mom! :) Eddie stole his whole scene! He's so cute. :)

 

I'm so glad they'll all be living together as one happy family. Hopefully, with the therapist helping him, Bryan can let go of all the guilt he feels.

 

Well, since you mentioned you wanted to be told of any errors...

'Bryan looked chagrinned' - chagrined only has one 'n'.

'Wyatt gritted his teeth' Grit is an irregular past tense (and present tense) verb, so you can say 'Wyatt grit his teeth'.

The capital 'H' for home should be lowercase b/c it's not a proper noun. If you said The Beacon Estates Home, then yes, it should be capitalized.

The verbs beamed, smiled, etc. are not dialogue tags, so they need a period after them, not a comma.

 

That's it! I wouldn't have said anything if you didn't ask...

Thanks! I fixed them-- although 'chagrinned' can be spelled either way according the the dictionary: verb (used with object), chagrined or chagrinned, chagrining or chagrinning.

 

I always miss some of the dialogue tags, probably because I put the comma there, before deciding what tag I'm going to use and then miss it when I go back. I'm glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the editing help! :)

Link to comment
On 10/03/2015 11:38 AM, Reader1810 said:

Thank you for writing this chapter CM.

It was a wonderful little peek into the world of recovery of Wyatt, Bryan and Eddie

I love that Eddie went into Mama Bear (inherent in his being along with some input from Bryan and Papa) mode and carted Wyatt over to the sofa where he felt he would "feel better". So so sweet. As for ganging up on Bryan. I expect that was only the beginning... :lol:

I think too, that this is a nice bridge between all the terrible goings on and the happy future they will no doubt have.

Thanks again CM. :)

I'm glad everyone kept hinting at wanting it. I think it worked out well. Thank you!

Link to comment
On 10/03/2015 12:45 PM, Defiance19 said:

I loved it so much I might have squealed! The interplay between Eddie and Wyatt, just wonderful. I can just see them all together. Eddie, so much happier and Wyatt and Bryan doting older brothers. Glad to see Bryan working through his guilt.

:) Thank you!

Link to comment
On 10/10/2015 04:54 AM, Suvitar said:

Eddie is so sweet looking after Wyatt. They will make a wonderful family :boy:

They definitely will. :)

Link to comment

I love that Eddie likes Wyatt so much..But he just about broke my heart when he thought they wanted to movie him into the plantation house where he was hurt as a child..Thanks for giving them all their HEA.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..