Jump to content
    craftingmom
  • Author
  • 4,661 Words
  • 3,434 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Lie of the Serpent - 21. Chapter 21

Chapter 21

 

"...this was the scene yesterday at the Turner Plantation..." the reporter was saying as Bryan rushed around the kitchen grabbing something to eat after having checked his phone ten times this morning to make sure the hospital hadn't called.

Sarah was already up as well and sitting on the couch, her eyes wide as she stared at the TV. It was only 6:45 in the morning. Bryan had somehow managed to basically fall asleep in exhaustion last night, well, really it had been early this morning. Eddie, God bless his soul, was still sleeping in the guest bedroom.

Well, soon he hoped it would be Eddie's bedroom for good because he had no intention of leaving Eddie at Beacon Estates. As good as the facility was, Bryan had never thought it was better than family. In the height of his emotions last night, he'd told Sarah of his intentions to keep Eddie with him and never send him back, but as always, her sound reasoning had him rethinking his plans. She'd suggested letting Eddie return back to Beacon Estates in a day or so when he had the chance to take him and letting him stay there while Bryan helped Wyatt through the worst of his illness. She'd argued the normalcy of routines would be best for Eddie. And of course, that made sense. Plus both him and Dr. Neely could help prepare Eddie mentally for the change slowly. A couple more weeks or so wouldn't so bad. At least when Bryan was ready to bring Eddie home, he wouldn't have to fight his mother on it.

God, his mother. He sucked in a deep breath. His thoughts were racing, bouncing around with all the things that had happened, that he needed to do. Half of them involved Eddie—contacting Dr. Neely and the facility, getting his clothes (fortunately, he had some here from his previous holiday visits), getting him settled, calling his lawyer to help—but the others involved just being there for Wyatt. Vaguely, he knew he'd need to deal with his mother...her funeral, the plantation, etc, but right now he couldn't face that.

Sarah clutched the coffee cup in her hand as he came to stand behind her.

"You're up early," he commented.

"Yeah, well, I'm an early riser," she murmured. Her eyes never left the newscast. They both watched in mystified silence as they saw yesterday's events play out from the gates of the estate.

"Yesterday evening at about five pm, police officers raced to the Turner Plantation as a new lead led them to believe Carol Foxgrove had vital information about the disappearance of Wyatt Kinnon, her son's fiancé. Upon arrival, officers found Bryan Foxgrove confronting his mother and an unknown man holding Wyatt Kinnon. As you can see in the video, a man that we believe to be Kinnon is rushed off in an ambulance. Later, two other ambulances leave but do not seem to be in a hurry.

"We are currently waiting outside Garrett County Police Station for a statement from the chief of police. Preliminary sources suggest that Carol Foxgrove had been holding Wyatt Kinnon hostage in her basement at the plantation."

Bryan hissed as he watched the mass of police cars and emergency vehicles that had swarmed the estate. It was almost a little surreal, seeing it from the outside like that. He'd had to turn off the ringer of the house phone as reporters and distant friends called for information and to offer prayers. Anyone who was truly close to him had his cell phone, so he'd let those others go to voice mail.

He jumped when his cell phone rang in his pocket. Whipping it out, he was both relieved and disappointed to see it was not the hospital. It was Simon. His mother's assistant. Damn, he hadn't even thought about Simon since finding out his mother had tortured his lover in her basement. Had the man known what his mother was doing? He didn't believe the man had any clue about what had been happening in the house right under his nose, since she'd closed down the manor when she planned to move...God, it was so hard to think about it... Wyatt's body.

"Yeah?" he answered, as he watched the reporter ramble on while they waited for a statement from the chief of police.

"Bryan! Oh, my God," Simon seemed breathless and hoarse. "I can't begin to say how sorry I am. I had no idea what... that she was..."

Bryan nodded, closing his eyes in relief. He'd suspected as much. At least she hadn't dragged anyone else into her homicidal plans. "Thanks, Simon."

"When the police came by last night... I mean, I was stunned, floored. How could she even think about...I mean, to think Mr. Kinnon was right there... all that time... and I didn't know. I just don't know what to say. I'm so very sorry. Is there anything I can do?"

"It's okay," Bryan sighed, having been asked the same question several times now. "Right now, I'm...I don't know... just waiting. I'm sure eventually we'll have to deal with the estate, and I'd appreciate your help, but right now...I just need to focus on Eddie and Wyatt."

"Of course, of course," the older man rushed on. "Please, please let me know if you need anything."

"Thanks, man. I'm heading to the hospital now." Bryan hung up, turning to Sarah. "Are you sure you're okay staying here with Eddie? I really hate to impose—"

"Shut up, Bryan," Sarah shushed him. "You wake up your poor brother, and I'll smack you one," she teased. "He was so adorable last night. Poor thing was so tired, he just curled up on top of the covers."

He leaned over and kissed her cheek from behind the couch. "Thank you. You are a life saver."

"That's what friends are for." She smiled back over her shoulder at him.

"I'm going—" he cut himself off when he heard the reporter announce the arrival of the chief of police.

"...Good morning," Chief Brannell stated, looking slightly haggard along with an even more worn out Sgt. Woods and Officer Lettman next to him. "We are pleased to announce that Wyatt Kinnon, who went missing seven days ago, has been found and is in stable condition at Garrett County Hospital. Officers Woods and Lettman here led the investigation into his disappearance, and yesterday evidence surfaced indicating Carol Foxgrove, the victim's future mother-in-law, may have been involved. Upon arriving at the scene, officers found her sons Bryan and Edward Foxgrove attempting to protect Wyatt Kinnon from further harm from Carol Foxgrove, who had been holding Wyatt Kinnon chained in her basement. In the ensuing struggle, Carol Foxgrove suffered a broken neck and died at the scene."

A series of murmurs and shouts echoed from the crowd behind the reporters, some surprised, some enraged.

The chief continued, "Preliminary investigation from the evidence found at the scene, and information from witnesses indicate Carol Foxgrove possibly planned to transport Wyatt Kinnon's body to somewhere along the Appalachian trail."

"His body? Are you saying she'd planned to kill Kinnon?" a reporter shouted.

Chief Brannell nodded solemnly, and Bryan noticed the twitch in Sgt. Woods's jaw behind him. "Yes, we believe she planned for him to die of dehydration, exposure, or possibly the pneumonia that he is currently fighting."

"Do you know why she took Kinnon? Wasn't he her son's fiancé?"

"Yes, Wyatt Kinnon is Bryan Foxgrove's fiancé. Evidence suggests she was... unhappy with her son's engagement—"

"So she tried to kill him? That's fucked up!" Video scanned over to a large group of teens in the crowd, all yelling angrily at the news. Sarah glanced up at Bryan as they both recognized the boys from the park—Marc, Nick, Alex, Stuart, Greg, along with a mass of others. They were both surprised by the amount of people gathered behind the reporters.

The video returned back to the chief, and Bryan noted Woods fighting a smirk as his gaze drifted in the direction of the teens.

The chief was unfazed by the outbursts. "Carol Foxgrove appeared to resent the fact that her son was involved with a man, and her narrow-mindedness and prejudice led her to this heinous act of torture and attempted murder."

Bryan gulped at the words out there for everyone to hear—how his own mother had nearly killed his lover. The shouts increased behind the reporters, crying for justice and support for Wyatt. Many shouted their happiness that his mother was dead, that she got what she deserved; others wished her worse for what she'd done.

Bryan couldn't help but feel a bit ambivalent. His mother was dead, and memories—good, happy memories—of his past with her, his father, and Eddie in their home had him mourning her death. But he also felt a seething hatred boiling inside him for what she'd done—to both Wyatt and Eddie. She wasn't the person he'd always believed her to be, she never had been. And for that, he was glad she was gone. He wasn't sure he'd have been able to face her again, knowing everything.

"At this point," Chief Brannell continued, "we would like to thank everyone in the community for their support in helping us to find Mr. Kinnon. I know that Mr. Kinnon and Mr. Foxgrove will appreciate any well wishes and prayers you might have; however, due to Mr. Kinnon's condition, the hospital staff respectfully requests no flowers to be sent to the ICU unit. Cards will be collected by the nursing staff. Thank you."

Chief Brannell turned quickly, dodging the flurry of reporter questions flung at him. Bryan dragged his gaze away from the TV, realizing he'd just wasted fifteen minutes when he could have been at the hospital.

He darted to the door, yanking it open. He froze at the sight coalescing on his front lawn. A small pile of flowers, stuffed animals and signs was building next to his driveway as people came by to offer their sympathy and prayers. It reminded him of the bench in the park. A police car sat at the end of his drive, silently keeping vigil over his peace. Fresh tears choked him. Damn. So many people cared for his man.

Why couldn't the one person he had needed to care have done so too?

The officer climbed out of his vehicle as Bryan stepped out. He vaguely thought the man might have been there at the manor yesterday, but then again so many people had been there. "Mr. Foxgrove?"

Bryan nodded as the young officer approached. Officer Hanson, he read on his badge. "I'm here to escort you to the hospital."

Bryan's brow shot up in surprise. "Really? Why?"

"Mr. Kinnon's case has attracted a lot of media attention, as well as other..." he gestured his hand at the people waving sympathetically from the sidewalk. "Sgt. Woods suspected you might have trouble reaching the hospital without an escort and asked for volunteers. I got first draw," Hanson smiled.

Bryan was stunned as he followed the man to the squad car. "Thank you."

"No problem, sir."

 

  @@@@

 

When Bryan walked into Wyatt's room only hours after leaving it the first time, it felt like he'd been away for days. Officer Hanson had had to push his way through a small throng of reporters hoping to catch a comment or two from the son of the perpetrator. It had been hard to ignore the questions shouted at him: did you have any idea your own mother was involved in your fiancé's abduction? How do you feel about your mother's involvement? Are you angry about it?

Really, what kind of questions were those anyway? Of course, he was fucking angry. He was devastated, hurt, and torn apart. But he had to focus on Wyatt and his brother, right now. And discussing it with strangers wouldn't help.

He was pleased to see that Wyatt had a little more color in his face today. He still had the breathing tube, but Dr. Phillips thought they'd be able to remove it soon, maybe even later that night.

Bryan had sat next to Wyatt all day, not even leaving to eat. Sarah had texted him pictures of her and Eddie playing checkers, and, to Bryan's relief, Eddie had seemed happy. He'd spoken to both of them from the hospital landline, assuring them that Wyatt seemed better. Sarah even said she might take Eddie for a walk in the park. And again, Bryan felt blessed to have her in his life.

Once or twice, Bryan thought he'd felt a shift in Wyatt's demeanor, and he had watched intently, praying for Wyatt to wake. Dr. Phillips expected him to wake soon. Bryan just prayed that when he did, Wyatt didn't look at him with hate and revulsion.

The nurses kept checking in on Wyatt, and Bryan as well, bringing him snacks and drinks to keep him from starving. A couple of times, they brought in a stack of cards that had been delivered, several of which had gift cards to restaurants or gas cards in lieu of flowers. Every card prayed for Wyatt's quick recovery, and Bryan was so appreciative of how many people were willing to offer their help. There was even a card from the cab driver—Valens—who had been the one to pick up "Wyatt" from the manor.

Bryan realized he wasn't the only one who was feeling guilty for not putting the pieces together sooner.

When Dr. Phillips came back in later that evening to check on Wyatt's progress, he was pleased at several of the notes on the charts the nurses had made, he even mentioned having a nurse remove the breathing tube. Bryan couldn't help it when he grabbed the doctor in a strong embrace, thanking him over and over again for saving Wyatt's life.

"He's strong," Dr. Phillips said. "As much as his immune system was down, his body was very healthy before and that has helped a lot."

"Thank you so much," Bryan found himself repeating as he grasped Wyatt's hand tightly. "I don't know what I would do if..."

Dr. Phillips nodded solemnly. "I'm cautiously optimistic that he'll fully recover. But be aware, he won't be completely well for a couple months at least. He's going to tire easily and probably feel a bit breathless. And this episode will probably make him more susceptible to illness in the future."

Bryan worried his thumb over the back of Wyatt's hand. "But he'll be okay, right? He can still teach and hike and... everything else, right?"

Dr. Phillips smiled. "Yes, he should be able to return to normal activities in a couple months or so. He won't be able to finish out this school year, of course, but he should be fine for the fall semester. And exercise, hiking, will be good for him, eventually."

"I just... I just want him to be happy. To not lose everything he loved because of my...my mother..." Bryan choked.

Dr. Phillips rested a heavy hand on his shoulder. "He will be. And even if he couldn't teach or hike again, I know he'd still be happy." Bryan looked at him askance, and the man smiled. "Because he still has you, Bryan."

Bryan wondered if that would be enough. "I hope so."

 

@@@@

 

Warm. He vaguely registered that he was finally warm. Blessedly warm. He'd been sure he'd never feel warm again. He slowly noticed the sounds around him: a steady beep, an intermittent whoosh, voices...two of them. He had an instant of panic, wondering what Carol was doing to him now, but the voices were deep, distinctively male. His chest felt heavy, achy. Something was wrapped around his hand.

"...want him to be happy..."

God, why wouldn't his eyelids work?

"...he will be..." That voice he didn't recognize. Where was he? What had Carol done with him? "...still has you, Bryan."

Bryan? His heart jolted, and the warm engulfing his hand tightened. Oh, God, could it really be Bryan? Had he died and they were talking about him? His spirit still able to hear them?

"I hope so." Bryan. Bryan's voice. Bryan was here. Next to him. Oh, thank you, God, Wyatt prayed as he wriggled his hand to get a grip on Bryan's. Finally, he managed to force his eyelids to work.

 

@@@@

 

 

Bryan jumped when the hand he held twitched. His wide eyes darted to Wyatt's face. Those long honey lashes flickered before revealing unfocused whiskey-colored eyes. Dr. Phillips darted over to Wyatt's other side as Wyatt blinked rapidly.

Bryan heard the increase of the beeps from the heart monitor and Wyatt's chest start to heave with the onset of panic. Bryan leaned over his lover, making sure Wyatt could see his face, could focus on him.

"It's okay, babe," Bryan whispered, smiling broadly as tears leaked down his cheeks at the sight of those beautiful amber eyes he thought he'd never see again. "You're okay. You're just in the hospital. Dr. Phillips here is taking good care of you."

Bryan watched his lover's eyes fill with tears, spilling over and down his temples, damping his blond hair. Wyatt's eyes flickered briefly to the doctor but came right back to Bryan, piercing his heart with the pleading hope in them. He felt Wyatt's slender fingers squeeze his.

Bryan could see Wyatt's throat working around the breathing tube, a slight look of fear flooding the amber eyes. "Shhh, it's okay. It's just a tube to help you breathe," Bryan tried to assure him. "Just...take it easy okay. You're pretty sick with pneumonia."

Wyatt's gaze eased at bit as he squeezed his eyes shut to force back the panic. Bryan leaned over, placing a soft kiss on Wyatt's forehead. "I love you. So much. Just rest okay."

Bryan felt Wyatt's grip tighten on his and knew he was trying to say the same thing. He grinned down at his fiancé. Maybe Wyatt didn't hate him. Or...maybe he hadn't processed what had happened yet. That thought had Bryan's throat closing up on him.

He looked to Dr. Phillips for help, and Wyatt followed his gaze.

The older doctor smiled down kindly. "Mr. Kinnon. Wyatt. We're so glad to have you back. You gave us a bit of a scare there for a while. But take it easy, okay? I'm going to have a nurse come remove the breathing tube. I know it's not comfortable, but we had to drain your lungs and make sure you got enough oxygen. You were suffering from dehydration, hypothermia, and pneumonia when you were admitted yesterday. Mostly the dehydration and hypothermia are under control now. We're just worried about the pneumonia."

Wyatt nodded slightly in understanding. When his eyes flickered back to Bryan, Bryan could see the torment in them, and Bryan knew he was thinking about how he'd become so sick. Bryan broke.

"Fuck, Wyatt, I'm so fucking sorry," Bryan sobbed, wrapping both hands tightly around Wyatt's, holding on for dear life. "I... I had no idea... I can't believe she would... I love you so damn much, but I understand if you hate me right now."

The jerking of the hand he held brought Bryan back to the fierce scowl on Wyatt's face. Dr. Phillips looked alarmed as Wyatt started to choke around the breathing tube when he tried to talk.

"Bryan!" Phillips snapped.

"Shit, I'm sorry," Bryan stuttered as he tried to calm Wyatt, who was shaking his head and glaring at him.

Dr. Phillips used the call button to summon a nurse before glaring at Bryan. "We've all already told you, it's not your fault what happened. Wyatt here knows that too," the doctor stated, glancing down to his patient who narrowed his eyes at his fiancé.

Two nurses hurried in, surprised and pleased to see their patient awake. "Now, why don't you step on outside for a few minutes while we remove the tube and I can examine my patient," Dr. Phillips ordered him.

Bryan nodded hurriedly, trying to get a grip on his emotions. He kissed Wyatt's forehead again. "I'll be right back, okay? I love you."

Wyatt squeezed his hand in return. Bryan could tell he was getting tired again as he left, but those whiskey eyes followed him out the door, and all Bryan felt was hope and relief at having his Wyatt back.

 

@@@@

 

Bryan stepped out of Wyatt's room, reluctant to leave Wyatt, but knowing the doctor had a job to do. Several of the nurses at the station outside smiled at him widely, and he nodded back his thanks. He figured now would be a good time to step out and call Sarah, let her know that Wyatt had woken up.

He was nearly to the ICU waiting room when he stopped suddenly, seeing a familiar figure stepping off the elevator. His eyes darkened.

"What the hell are you doing here?" he snapped.

Darrin Roque froze, startled by Bryan's abrupt presence. He opened his mouth and closed it several times, and Bryan planted his feet, crossing his arms defensively. A couple of nurses glanced up warily at Bryan's tone.

Finally, Darrin shifted, glancing away ashamedly. "I just wanted to drop this off," Wyatt's ex finally said softly, holding out an envelope to Bryan.

Bryan reached out and snatched it. "What the hell is this?"

"It's... it's an apology. And a get well card," Darrin said, shoving his hands dejectedly in his jeans' pockets. "Look. I just wanted to let Wyatt know that I'm sorry. I was an asshole—"

Bryan snorted his agreement and Darrin chuckled. "I know. I was insanely jealous. And possessive. I had no right to treat Wyatt, or you, that way. I'm sorry. He's just... he's just such an... amazing guy..."

"Yes, he is," Bryan huffed.

"I just wanted to hold onto that—"

"By beating the crap out of him?" Bryan snapped.

Darrin winced. "Yeah, I... screwed up."

"Fucking right you did, asshole." Bryan wasn't ready to forgive the man, even if Darrin now seemed to be remorseful.

Darrin shifted uncomfortably. "I know. And there's really nothing I can say to make that right, I know that. I just... wanted to come by, before I left, to tell him I was sorry. For everything."

"Left?" Bryan quirked his eyebrow. He heard the elevator ding and a couple security guards stepped out.

"Yeah, I'm, uh, heading back to California next week. To help my mom. While I was there, we talked and she hoped I'd help her with the B&B she runs. I wasn't going to but...recent events," Darrin gestured towards Wyatt's hospital room, "recent events made me rethink my life a bit."

Bryan narrowed his eyes a Darrin, wondering how much he said was the truth.

"Gentlemen, is there a problem here?" one of the security officers asked, eying both of them warily.

Darrin stepped back, retreating quickly. "No, sir. None at all. I was just dropping something off."

The officer glanced at Bryan questioningly. Bryan finally nodded. "Yeah, we're good."

Bryan watched his fiancé's abusive ex push the down button on the elevator. "Roque," he finally called, and the man turned to him hopefully. Bryan lifted the card in his hand. "Thanks. Wyatt will appreciate it."

Darrin only offered a small smile and an appreciative nod before disappearing into the elevator. Bryan hoped they never saw the man again. Wyatt had had enough turmoil in his life. Maybe that part was finally at an end.

His phone beeped with a text message and he glanced at it.

~Taking Eddie shopping at Walmart~ Sarah texted.

Bryan frowned, wondering what she was up to. ~shopping?~

~for some clothes and maybe a couple of games~

Bryan chuckled to himself. Of course Sarah would think of that. Bryan should be heading home to do that himself, not leaving it to Sarah to take care of. ~I can come do it~

~no, stay will Wyatt. He needs you~

~He's awake. Tube coming out~

Bryan smiled a Sarah's response. ~Oh, thank God~

He was debating what to do, torn between his brother and lover, when another text came in. ~stay with Wyatt. Eddie and I are having fun. No worries~

Damn, how much would he owe this wonderful woman? ~thanx. Love u~

~Love u 2~

Sarah was right. He definitely needed to take Eddie back to Beacon Estates soon. Eddie could use the routine of the facility, and Bryan was too strung in too many directions to give his brother what he needed right now.

Bryan dropped Darrin's card in the basket by the nurse's station they had put out to collect items for Wyatt. Another small pile had collected, but Bryan wasn't in the mood to go through them right now. Maybe now that Wyatt was awake, he'd hold onto them so Wyatt could open them himself. Bryan fidgeted in the waiting room, pacing by the window.

As the hospital elevator dinged, he glanced over absently, surprised to see Sgt. Woods approaching the nurses' station. His spine prickled as he wondered what might be wrong now.

"Sgt. Woods?" he queried, stepping closer.

The officer turned, greeting him with a smile. Bryan saw the man cast a glance over his shoulder into the waiting room, and Bryan wondered what he was looking for. "Bryan, how are you holding up?"

Bryan shook the man's hand. "Good. Is everything okay?"

"Oh, yeah, just thought I'd check up on Wyatt, see how he's doing before heading home."

Bryan's tension unwound. "Oh, yeah, well, Wyatt just woke up a few minutes ago. They're removing the breathing tube."

Sgt. Woods's eyes lit up. "Oh, good. I'm glad to hear that. So they think he'll be okay, now?"

Bryan nodded. "Dr. Phillips is optimistic. It's going to be a while, but...yeah... they think so."

Woods nodded. "Good. Marc will be glad to hear that."

Bryan grinned. "That's one great kid you have there, sergeant."

"Yeah, he is. He has his moments, but...yeah..." Woods trailed off. "So how is your brother holding up?"

"He's good. I think," he added with an embarrassed shrug at the officer's questioning look. "Sarah's with him. She's keeping him entertained."

Bryan couldn't help but notice the spark of interest that lit the officer's eyes at the mention of his friend's name. Was the sergeant interested in Sarah?

"Oh, and how is she...Ms. Demchik?"

Bryan almost laughed at the way Sgt. Woods tried to look so nonchalant about asking after Sarah. Yeah, the man was clearly interested. "Oh, she's good," Bryan said, then added, "I was hoping to grab some take out and bring it home so she didn't have to cook, not after all she's done and everything. But, with Wyatt awake..."

Bryan was pleased when the officer took his bait. "Oh, hey, don't you worry about it. I'll grab something for Sarah and Eddie, okay?"

"Oh, that would be great. You really don't mind?"

"Nah, not at all."

"Then, thank you. I'm sure Sarah could use a little company other than my brother."

"I'll see you soon. We'll be back when Wyatt's feeling better to get his statement. More for the record than anything." Bryan knew the case was pretty much closed. Other than Wyatt filling in some details of the week in his mother's basement, the police were satisfied with the evidence they had, and since the perpetrator was already dead, more details were a moot point.

Bryan said good-bye to the sergeant, certain he'd see the man again in the future—and not just in an official capacity. He breathed a deep sigh as he felt that maybe...just maybe life would be okay again.

Copyright © 2015 craftingmom; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 34
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

With the ordeal of the abduction and torture over, the messy aftermath remains. The depiction of Bryan viewing the TV coverage as an outsider was very moving and real. His anger and ambivalence at his mother are so understandable as well. I am a little surprised that there wasn't a small, lunatic fringe of Carol supporters somewhere in the mix. Unfortunately they are inevitable, but certainly not missed.

 

I had wondered what had happened with Darrin. That was cleared up nicely and it seems that dark cloud will be gone from Wyatt and Bryan's lives forever. It seems this incident brought Darrin to a realization of his actions.

 

Now that Wyatt is moving from crisis to recovery, it becomes time to start planning for the future. There is Eddie to think of in that future and how Bryan will pull that off. If they can tolerate the location of Wyatt's imprisonment, the plantation might solve some of the problems. Bryan would have more time for both Wyatt and Eddie if he were running the plantation. There are a lot of memories there though. This chapter brought me to tears more than once. It was very powerful and moving. I'm looking forward to see how things work out.

Link to comment

Paladin wrote pretty fully about what's going on, will second those; this reader feels enormously relieved to see Wyatt awake and functioning again. Also tickled to see Sgt. Woods interest in Sarah becoming more prominent. Hope there is help for everyone to move through this hellish experience and on into a more sunlit time. As for kudos, let them be showered on the writer who brought us this story. Thanks a million.

Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Wyatt woke up - Yay! I think Bryan realized Wyatt doesn't hate or blame him for what MD did. That being said, it's another thing entirely that Bryan hasn't forgiven himself. He obviously bears no blame, but he feels it just the same.
Even in death, MD is causing trouble. This is one instance where I think it would have been better she had lived. Then, at least Bryan would have somewhere to vent the anger and horror. I fully expect that Wyatt will set me straight and assuage his misdirected feelings of guilt.
Regarding what to do about the plantation. Early on my thoughts centred on selling it and ridding it from their lives. After reading drp' comment, I got to thinking. I can't recall if it was mentioned before, but is the plantation a family legacy through Foxgrove Sr. rather than via MD's family? If yes, maybe Bryan and Eddie should keep it to honour their father since he obviously loved both his sons in equal measure?
Sarah and Sgt. Woods - very sweet and it was nice that Bryan noticed and approved. But then, what's not to like? As for Darrin? Maybe he has smartened up, but I still say, don't let the door hit you on the way out!
As always, nicely done CM. :)

Link to comment

Another glorious chapter Mom! How many chapters are left?? I need to start planning ahead for the counseling I'm going to need after all the emotions!!! :-) Keep up the amazing work!

Link to comment

Ditto to all the other comments giving kudos to craftingMom. I loved that Wyatt was able to express his righteous anger at Bryan's concern Wyatt would hate him, despite having a breathing tube down his throat. Of course, I can sympathize with Bryan's guilt, too -- as I'm sure most anyone raised around a culture of guilt would. I suspect there might need to be some more for both of them to say once Wyatt is better, but I'm sure they'll sort through it.

 

One thing I'm joyfully anticipating is the first meeting between Eddie and Wyatt. They've already started to bond, and I would guess their mutual experience in "time out" will further deepen it. Thankfully, no one else now will ever have to have that specific punishment.

 

Thanks again for a delightful story!

Link to comment

I ditto everyone! lol

 

Glad Darrin finally came to his senses and realized he was a controlling, abusive ass. And as Reader said, "Don't let the door hit you on your way out!" lol

 

Thank God Wyatt will be ok. And thank God for Sarah - what a lifesaver. I see a match made in heaven with her and Woods. :) She'll be a stepmom before we know it. :lol:

 

I'm really looking forward to Wyatt and Eddie meeting. I think Eddie's gonna be a wonderful brother-in-law! :)

 

This was another excellent, emotional chapter, Mom! :)

Link to comment

Ditto for me as well.
There is still so much to work through. Thank heavens for Sarah, who is able to think logically, and keep Bryan level. She is a beautiful soul. Bryan was not so out of touch as he did think to set up dinner between Sarah and Officer Woods. That should go well.
Love the public support for Wyatt. The moment Bryan realises that Wyatt eyes were open, his relief was palpable and so was his grief ridden apologies. Sad, but now at least they can begin to work past it. I have a feeling though that every time Wyatt so much as sneezes, Bryan will feel badly.
An amazing chapter CM. Thank you.

Link to comment
On 09/29/2015 11:35 PM, drpaladin said:

With the ordeal of the abduction and torture over, the messy aftermath remains. The depiction of Bryan viewing the TV coverage as an outsider was very moving and real. His anger and ambivalence at his mother are so understandable as well. I am a little surprised that there wasn't a small, lunatic fringe of Carol supporters somewhere in the mix. Unfortunately they are inevitable, but certainly not missed.

 

I had wondered what had happened with Darrin. That was cleared up nicely and it seems that dark cloud will be gone from Wyatt and Bryan's lives forever. It seems this incident brought Darrin to a realization of his actions.

 

Now that Wyatt is moving from crisis to recovery, it becomes time to start planning for the future. There is Eddie to think of in that future and how Bryan will pull that off. If they can tolerate the location of Wyatt's imprisonment, the plantation might solve some of the problems. Bryan would have more time for both Wyatt and Eddie if he were running the plantation. There are a lot of memories there though. This chapter brought me to tears more than once. It was very powerful and moving. I'm looking forward to see how things work out.

Oooh, good point about the lunatic supporters of Carol--I should have thought of that.

 

I thought bringing in Darrin one last time would wrap up him as a loose end. I tried to show him being a little horrified by the fact Wyatt had been kidnapped when Bryan confronted him, and hopefully this shows he's at least reconsidered how he's acted before.

 

The plantation would be a hard place to return to, I think, for all of them.

Link to comment
On 09/29/2015 11:51 PM, Parker Owens said:

Paladin wrote pretty fully about what's going on, will second those; this reader feels enormously relieved to see Wyatt awake and functioning again. Also tickled to see Sgt. Woods interest in Sarah becoming more prominent. Hope there is help for everyone to move through this hellish experience and on into a more sunlit time. As for kudos, let them be showered on the writer who brought us this story. Thanks a million.

:) Thank you so very much!!!

Link to comment
On 09/30/2015 08:08 AM, WriterJT said:

Another glorious chapter Mom! How many chapters are left?? I need to start planning ahead for the counseling I'm going to need after all the emotions!!! :-) Keep up the amazing work!

So glad you liked it. There are 2 chapters left, one plus the epilogue. So there's not much more torment I can put you through...right now...

Link to comment
On 09/30/2015 02:03 AM, Reader1810 said:

Wyatt woke up - Yay! I think Bryan realized Wyatt doesn't hate or blame him for what MD did. That being said, it's another thing entirely that Bryan hasn't forgiven himself. He obviously bears no blame, but he feels it just the same.

Even in death, MD is causing trouble. This is one instance where I think it would have been better she had lived. Then, at least Bryan would have somewhere to vent the anger and horror. I fully expect that Wyatt will set me straight and assuage his misdirected feelings of guilt.

Regarding what to do about the plantation. Early on my thoughts centred on selling it and ridding it from their lives. After reading drp' comment, I got to thinking. I can't recall if it was mentioned before, but is the plantation a family legacy through Foxgrove Sr. rather than via MD's family? If yes, maybe Bryan and Eddie should keep it to honour their father since he obviously loved both his sons in equal measure?

Sarah and Sgt. Woods - very sweet and it was nice that Bryan noticed and approved. But then, what's not to like? As for Darrin? Maybe he has smartened up, but I still say, don't let the door hit you on the way out!

As always, nicely done CM. :)

:) Thank you! Yes, still more healing. Wrapping up Darrin just seemed like a good idea, so we know he's gone. And Sarah needed a little HEA for herself :). The plantation is a tough call. Yes, their father owned it, but there are a lot of bad memories there too that I don't think Bryan, especially, could overcome.

Link to comment
On 09/30/2015 12:35 PM, hillj69 said:

Ditto to all the other comments giving kudos to craftingMom. I loved that Wyatt was able to express his righteous anger at Bryan's concern Wyatt would hate him, despite having a breathing tube down his throat. Of course, I can sympathize with Bryan's guilt, too -- as I'm sure most anyone raised around a culture of guilt would. I suspect there might need to be some more for both of them to say once Wyatt is better, but I'm sure they'll sort through it.

 

One thing I'm joyfully anticipating is the first meeting between Eddie and Wyatt. They've already started to bond, and I would guess their mutual experience in "time out" will further deepen it. Thankfully, no one else now will ever have to have that specific punishment.

 

Thanks again for a delightful story!

Oh, yeah, there's definitely more to say= next chapter :)

Thank you so very much! I'm glad you have enjoyed it!

Link to comment
On 09/30/2015 01:00 PM, Lisa said:

I ditto everyone! lol

 

Glad Darrin finally came to his senses and realized he was a controlling, abusive ass. And as Reader said, "Don't let the door hit you on your way out!" lol

 

Thank God Wyatt will be ok. And thank God for Sarah - what a lifesaver. I see a match made in heaven with her and Woods. :) She'll be a stepmom before we know it. :lol:

 

I'm really looking forward to Wyatt and Eddie meeting. I think Eddie's gonna be a wonderful brother-in-law! :)

 

This was another excellent, emotional chapter, Mom! :)

I think these guys would all make good characters for the prompts as well. Maybe seeing Sarah and Nathan a little more, as well as Marc... I'm glad you have enjoyed the story. Thank you!

Link to comment
On 10/01/2015 08:12 AM, Defiance19 said:

Ditto for me as well.

There is still so much to work through. Thank heavens for Sarah, who is able to think logically, and keep Bryan level. She is a beautiful soul. Bryan was not so out of touch as he did think to set up dinner between Sarah and Officer Woods. That should go well.

Love the public support for Wyatt. The moment Bryan realises that Wyatt eyes were open, his relief was palpable and so was his grief ridden apologies. Sad, but now at least they can begin to work past it. I have a feeling though that every time Wyatt so much as sneezes, Bryan will feel badly.

An amazing chapter CM. Thank you.

Yes, I can definitely see Bryan hovering--and Wyatt quickly getting annoyed by that :). Sarah definitely needed a little HEA of her own after all they went through. I'm glad you've enjoyed the story! Thank you.

Link to comment
On 10/10/2015 04:03 AM, Suvitar said:

Loved the ending - Bryan is feeling better enough to play a matchmaker :*)

:) Thank you!

Link to comment

Great chapter..So glad that Wyatt is going to be ok.. I can't rally add anything more than the other comments have already said..

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..