Jump to content
    D.K. Daniels
  • Author
  • 1,252 Words
  • 1,025 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

You & I - 24. Chapter 24

Visit my website or sign up for my mailing list to ensure you don't miss any fun future updates.

View Website

To Max,

I know what you mean; my name does have a ring to it, doesn't it? Thanks. Max is a nice name too, but I totally agree my name is better.

I know, right… It's savage. It took me the best part of three days to figure out how many others were in our school. I was planning to tell you for a couple of days now, though you actually asked me. You beat me to it.

In correlation with my hints, it most definitely has to be cheese gone wild! I'll admit, I got a chuckle out of that. I know we've gone completely against the rules, and I'm not typically one to break a system that has been set down. Besides, since we are near the end of the projected assignment, I suppose it's adequately put to know each other's names now.

It makes me wonder if anyone else from our project knows each other's names or if we are the only ones. It's hard to imagine how both of us began knowing nothing regarding one another, and now we know a lot about each other.

It has been time well spent, all the free time I mean in school writing to you. I had no inkling that such small-time merit could turn into a desire. I reckon that's how I feel on any given day. I believe you said it in our previous letters, and I'm stating it now. Turning up to see that you have written to me makes my day.

Just with the possibility of finally meeting you coming to a close, I'm apprehensive too. At the start, I wasn't sure whether our conversations would take up off the ground, yet here we are. I think we've gotten to the point that we've discussed everything deserving a question, and only our day-to-day necessities are worth asking for. Well that's the way I see it, I know there is more to talk about, but I feel like that is best done in person.

I don't mean to be a buzzkill, then what you said about actively finding me is weirdly humbling and scary. I have the one and only Max Wilson trying to guess who I am. Now that I am even more aware and alert to the plausibility of our meeting, it's like I don't want our letters to end.

I'm not an artist, I can't even draw a circle, let alone a stick-man. The guy in the library sounds like a preferable candidate, sadly I don't spend much time reading books in the school library. I tend to go to the local branch because they have real science books. Our school facilities don't have any attractive content to stimulate my brain. I assume in a way and don't judge, our school caters for those who can handle a less capable knowledge.

In a way, they stock media that will be of a typical easiness for students to absorb. Hence, I look elsewhere for material to regurgitate. Although I did see you today… I'm not going to lie about that. I saw you enter the library, so you must be doing the leg work detective. It didn't register with me then until I read your letter now that you are inherently looking for me, like really. I thought it was just in our conversations at first, but wow, it's inspiring to be admired for a change. Therefore, a hint can be as follows; the library is not a place I go, but I occasionally roll past the fine establishment on my way to class. Now whatever way class is, I'll let you try to make heads or tails of this on your own.

I'm going to be brazened here, this weekend you're playing a match, right? I'll turn up with the audience, of course. However, I'm going to make a dare since you have called me out in your previous letter. I'd like nothing more than to learn how to play lacrosse or go swimming with a friend who is not my little cousin. I just want to see if you are genuine. I have a history of these sorts of things. So, for another hint when you're out on the field just after the national anthem, I dare you to snatch the microphone from whoever is singing afterward, and yell into the mic, "the cheese has gone wild."

I don't know something about upping the stakes seems devious and honestly, I like it. I don't have a lot left to hint; once you catch on, I think you'll understand. If you do this, I promise I'll give you another clue, a big clue. There is nothing more eye-opening than a person who is willing to make a fool of themselves for friendship. Plus, I'll repay the debt once you figure out who I am, I'll do something stupid too, purely for amusement.

I had nothing to reject, therefore, what would I decline. Incredibly sweet of you to say, I don't quite know what to say to that. Thanks. A couple of weeks ago, I presumed if we'd known each other, however, never spoke to one another, I'd reckon we'd have passed each other in the hallways without a second thought.

Except, I don't want to take credit for something I didn't do. I surmise I was in the right place at the correct time. Just all the work you have made is simply you. I've had no hand in helping you realize anything. Perhaps I helped remove the wool over your eyes. You've done the same for me. So, for the sake of thanking one another, lets just put it out there that we both appreciate each other's efforts.

Mind you, I will hold you to the promises you keep. Therefore, be sure to commit upon inciting them. So, yeah, besides science, swimming is my escape. Just like music is yours. I love to swim. At the moment I'm toning my biceps. When I finish every girl will be looking at me; not anymore will I be that skinny kid who is apparently there, yet never paid attention toward.

Your preposterous notion is correct, something happened in my past a couple of years ago. Four years ago, to be exact. Given that I'm almost 15, I had turned 11 two weeks earlier before my life changed. It made me appreciate life even more afterward. Can you imagine, I'm not lying. I was dead for 15 minutes.

Really sums up how the small insignificant things don't seem to matter anymore after you've had a life-changing ordeal. Perhaps I've ruined the surprise. Perhaps… maybe I've given too much away. Admittedly, there can only be one Isaac with a history like mine.

I have another thing to confess that I never told you before. Actually, I lied. See my mom's dead… and I'm in a wheelchair. I'm the cripple, everyone sees, pities, but never includes.

Shit… so much for following the cheese. Sorry for lying Max. I just… I wanted to feel normal. Except, I didn't lie about everything else. I really do swim. Plus, I do play an instrument, and I do like science. As I said, I'm toning my biceps.

Anyway, I think I will call it here, and it's been cool, you know. I understand if you don't want to hang around with someone like me. I'll just hold you back from doing all the fun shit.

Until next time, or goodbye,

Isaac

A special thanks to my patrons: Thomas Tallis, Don Jr., Joen, John, Danny, Matt, Scott, Joshua,

*** 

For updates and a full compilation of all my work, visit my website at - www.dk-daniels.com

*** 

Sign up to my mailing list to receive updates, some freebies, and announcements.

Copyright © 2018 D.K. Daniels; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 4
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

10 minutes ago, dutch woman said:

Is his really the end? I remember at least one other chapter. Where Isaac and Max met on the football field.

Ah yes, thank you for reminding me to change the status back to in progress as the format of the book changed. In the book each letter is given an individual chapter. On GA, I sometimes included two letters under one chapter. So, 23 chapters, is now 29. However, GA will only allow you to upload 2 chapters a day, 8 hours apart. The rest of the chapters will post automatically over the next 2 or 3 days as I have scheduled them now. You are right, there is more to the story. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Isaac has put up quite effective smokescreens - but I remember thinking once or twice that he was hiding something, too, there was something contrived about one or two of his statements,  I can't remember which.

I think both boys are incredibly brave to enter into such a conversation so fully, so openly and honestly.

I can also see that Max does not need to write his letters out three times to send them. His writing has become much more fluent/ flowing - I'm not sure what the right word is.

I am looking forward to the letters to come.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
12 hours ago, mayday said:

Isaac has put up quite effective smokescreens - but I remember thinking once or twice that he was hiding something, too, there was something contrived about one or two of his statements,  I can't remember which.

I think both boys are incredibly brave to enter into such a conversation so fully, so openly and honestly.

I can also see that Max does not need to write his letters out three times to send them. His writing has become much more fluent/ flowing - I'm not sure what the right word is.

I am looking forward to the letters to come.

When I wrote the book, I gradually revealed sly indicators as to what was really going on. Some people caught onto what I was already going to do, but some folks where amazed after I done it. I think I internally made the boys somewhat secretive so readers would be left somewhat in the dark with the emotion, so that everything the boys said could be taken as the truth. Writing from two POVs in first person at the same time was a little difficult as both had two completely different emotional temperaments. Isaac I found to be very humble; a sort of what you get dealt in life, you make do with. Max on the other hand was a crumbling pile of despair. In writing, we call an uninterrupted flow of thoughts a stream of consciousness. Maybe that is the word you are looking for lol.

 

Thanks for the comment, I hope you enjoy the rest of the story :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..