Jump to content
    D.K. Daniels
  • Author
  • 1,306 Words
  • 1,008 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

You & I - 26. Chapter 26

Visit my website or sign up for my mailing list to ensure you don't miss any fun future updates.

View Website

To Max,

I get it, it's uncanny, you didn't expect me to be sitting in a wheelchair, and I know it is a crappy thing to have done to you. I don't like lying, it isn't me as a person. It makes me extremely guilty when I stop to ponder how it must be to be when you have been forthcoming and overwhelmingly positive since the get-go. I should have just been transparent with the topic, as you have been with me. Furthermore, it is okay about the physical activity aspect, I never took any heed to it, and well… you could have never known anyway, so, what is the point of getting angry about this.

To your questions, I swim using my arms, I cannot explain the process, though, since you kind of float in water, it makes it easier for me to do that as a past time. I played soccer before in the wheelchair with a support group I was a part of for a while, they used to get somebody to push the wheelchair, and I'd hold the ball on my lap as they pushed my chair.

My only regret is that I never got to try football. In a way, working as a team is rather exciting and also rewarding to do. Though no, I don't feel anything below my hips, well except… em, you know my junk… sometimes. It works, just when it wants to. Peeing is okay, but everything is messed up… ish.

I assume I did drop a lot of hints about not doing stuff since we first started writing, and I understand why you probably don't want to talk to me anymore. I hope it is only temporarily, and we can go back to being friends, that is if you still crave to be. I had a feeling that if I did tell you that we'd stop being friends. It's not easy for someone to watch after me all the time, or to have the constant thought in your mind every minute.

I reckon it takes the joy out of the time, knowing you have to be responsible for a person who is semi-dependent. Only, I promise you, I can do a lot more than you think. I can do most things you can do, other than walk obviously. Just smaller things like climbing stairs take longer; for instance, I'd have to scooch my way gradually to the top of a staircase. Things take time, but I'm not entirely broken.

Oh… em, I was just replying to what you were saying before I took the time to read your letter, and now that I have come to a particular paragraph I'm not sure what I should say about something you have written.

First off, I wish to say thank you for accepting me, or I'm not sure since I took the time out to read your entire letter now, and it says at the end of the message that you want to take time out.

If I am missing something, please tell me, but I don't want to lose you as a friend. If I could fix what happened to me, I would, but I can't. It occurred, and I ain't got the power to do those sorts of miracles.

Em, love is a strong word to say to someone you have never met. I like you to, but not that way, of course. Though this is hard, I know, but I'm not gay. I think things have changed between us and there may be an adjustment period, or perhaps we just were never meant to be. For now, all I can say is cool… although it's a little odd, I don't mind it.

I just don't want to lose what we have built up. Therefore, Max, I am incredibly touched. So, I guess I'll try and start again. Is it even worth beginning all over, or is it past that point? If not, hi, I'm Isaac, I'm 15-years old, I'm in 10th Grade, and not only am I in a wheelchair, but I am a science geek, and I kickass at swimming. Well 9th Grade, would you like to start again?

You know, sometimes I ask the same question as I lay awake at night, searching for answers in the busy avenues of my brain. What did I do to him upstairs, to have to live like this? The answer is nothing; just a silence distills. God never responds. God is not there. He is a phony. As to how it happened, we were on the freeway, coming home on Monday afternoon from spending some time up at the lake house our family owns.

Dad left earlier as he took a week off from work and had to be back in the city. Dad drove home on Sunday evening, and mom and I followed on the next day as it was summer. We drove a good two hours, and we got pretty close to the city.

Just, a few cars ahead, someone must have recently changed a flat tire, and never put the wheel back on correctly. Before mom could react, driving the vehicle, this projectile bounced off the windshield. Instantly, the glass cracked, the screen turned a milky white, and I couldn't see the road in front of us. Somehow mom got scared, she swerved to avoid the tire bobbing along. Only, it still hit us and well the car barrel-rolled, three times to be exact.

We ended up on the other side of the highway.

The backpack I had between my legs with snacks and drinks in it, came from the floor well. I was sitting in the front seat, I remember the bag hitting my face as the car tumbled. It's like everything hurt for a moment, and I couldn't take control of anything. Plus, something happened with the daylight. It like stuttered, or flaked out.

You know like those old super 8 cameras; the way the light flickers inside. Then everything stopped, and it was calm for a moment. Lastly, I recall hearing a loud crash, and then I don't remember anything after that.

For that split second when the car calmed down, I've never been as scared in all my life. I wish people never felt that way when it happens to them, thought the sad fact is it does occur. I woke two days later in the hospital, everyone thought it was a miracle I was alive.

They told me I died in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. Though I felt different; I thought for a second, I was living outside my body, and then tried moving my arms, even though it was sore.

I then attempted to move my legs and realized they didn't work. I knew then I'd never walk again; the seatbelt impression left on my chest suggested it saved me. Though I later learned another car plowed into us from the front of the vehicle, and yet, my mom died. Dad takes care of me now, and he is overprotective.

The footwell squished and did its damage on my legs. I was supposedly bleeding really bad, and that's all they told me. They skipped the fact my mom died, even though I was asking for her all the time. They never told me where she was as soon as I came around. Then when dad told me, I went psycho, so much, they had to sedate me. So there… no more secrets. I'm Isaac Miller; once an adventurous kid, yet, still with a joyful heart.

Please just don't leave me hanging, okay. Even if you don't want to talk to me, just tell me. Besides, I'll turn up to watch you play this weekend. I won't miss that.

Eh... Later,

Isaac

A special thanks to my patrons: Thomas Tallis, Don Jr., Joen, John, Danny, Matt, Scott, Joshua,Â

***

For updates and a full compilation of all my work, visit my website at - www.dk-daniels.com

***

Sign up to my mailing list to receive updates, some freebies, and announcements.

Copyright © 2018 D.K. Daniels; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Love 5
  • Sad 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Yes, this letter and the information it contains is overdue, but - of course - I get it. Who would like to volunteer the information when you are used to being ignored for being in a wheelchair?

And still, it is heartbreaking to read it.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

He certainly has had the rough end of the pineapple! 

Obviously he couldn't mention the wheelchair in his initial letters as he would have outed himself, which was against the  rules. But this letter expresses so painfully how hard it is to gain friends when you have a disability: you hide it and your damned, you mention it and you are equally damned. 

He seems to have huge amount of inner strength...hope that continues.

Very touching. Well written. Thanks.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 12/6/2019 at 3:25 PM, mayday said:

Yes, this letter and the information it contains is overdue, but - of course - I get it. Who would like to volunteer the information when you are used to being ignored for being in a wheelchair?

And still, it is heartbreaking to read it.

I always assumed when I wrote the part that talked a small bit about Isaac that I wanted to be quiet honest about how it happened, and how his life changed afterword. I found Isaac to be a strong inner character that makes do with what he has. Life has ups and down, but for Isaac he tries to turn them into something he can work with rather than wallowing in it. In the second book I will talking more about the personal struggles between the families and also getting further into the boys friendship. I have already written a seen talking about the time after Isaac came home from the hospital after losing his Mom and his legs, and was on bedrest, that was a sad chapter.

 

When I hear it is heartbreaking to read in a way I am delighted. I take satisfaction I was able to write something that could cause such human emotions. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/6/2019 at 10:31 PM, Canuk said:

He certainly has had the rough end of the pineapple! 

Obviously he couldn't mention the wheelchair in his initial letters as he would have outed himself, which was against the  rules. But this letter expresses so painfully how hard it is to gain friends when you have a disability: you hide it and your damned, you mention it and you are equally damned. 

He seems to have huge amount of inner strength...hope that continues.

Very touching. Well written. Thanks.

I originally thought that once Issac told about the wheelchair, he wouldn't be treated like a normal person, as with folks with a disability are usually treated more sympathetically. Something Issac despises. So, I guess that was one of the reasons he didn't mention anything because he didn't want things to change so he could be "normal." I pictured Issac using his hurt for good things. I have found the people who give a lot, and have had sad pasts usually are mini saints in themselves.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..