Jump to content
    D.K. Daniels
  • Author
  • 1,207 Words
  • 3,126 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

You & I - 22. Chapter #22

Visit my website or sign up for my mailing list to ensure you don't miss any fun future updates.

View Website

 

To Max - aka Watson,

I see you've changed your alias; a pseudonym is getting old. Unfortunately, I'm not ready to share certain aspects of my life, but I suppose my name is relatively common. So, I reckon I can give you my name. I hope this doesn't give away too much information and make you think less of me for being the way I am, and since I have conducted some research, I have concluded that there are approximately 27 people in our school with the name Isaac, eight within our two grades.

Therefore, perhaps I will be one of those eight you will encounter now in your day-to-day life. I won't approach you, I'm not that sort of person, remember. I'm the Brainiac, I like the puzzles. Maybe if you follow the cheese, I'll leave a trail and possibly you'll find the real Isaac. I can already sense it in my bones; the twinge of panic and excitement. I will rise to my feet and go berserk with crippling nervousness and skedaddle if you look my direction. The real question is how many Isaac's do you know?

A clue is a clue, make use of it because I like having you around. Only, most of my life, I have been navigating away from attachment because people feel sorry for me, they always do. Sometimes I don't want them to.

I am flattered that you think of me that way, friends are hard to come by, many come and go. Who would have thought I'd befriend another guy who is on the other side of the fence as I. Your popular, I'm not, but it goes to show that barriers don't need to exist. We've managed by ourselves, and I am glad that I signed up for the assignment. If you want to know something true about me; the reason I put my name down for the pen pal collaboration is that I am lonely. My mom is suffocating, and I know she tries her best, and I love her, but I don't go outside too much, I don't make friends easy.

So just once in my life, I needed to talk to someone. When I heard that I didn't need to give my identity, I thought I could be whoever I aspired to be to get the other person to like me on the other side of the letters. Only, I never felt like I was obliged to do that, you just made me your friend. I have never felt more accepted than I did before then; than I do now. Having a place to belong is gratifying, so I like you back, for taking the time to listen to me.

I was so sure that if people knew it was me, they'd ask for another partner. Oh, boy was I wrong. I am glad I was.

You and I can agree on one thing for sure, shame, guilt, and hoping for more seems to be a way of life. Does it ever live up to something worthwhile? You see a couple of years ago, things changed for me, and my life has never been the same.

I am confident, insecurities at least, should not be the source of all your troubles. Some people have significant complexities. I am one of them. I'm certainly not much of a story so to speak. My life is pretty dull compared to what it ought to be. People change, just like me.

I will not blackmail you, you have my sincerity in the matter. I have been punished enough to understand that you should never kick another person in the gut while they are at their lowest or most vulnerable.

Max, you make a great companion, you have been open and frank with me. I know I haven't been explicitly clear with my background. Naturally, I retain little material to tell other than subjects within science, movies, and music.

It might sound depressing, it may seem lonely, or you could say I might not be expanding my horizons. However, to me, those are the worlds I live in, and they have kept me here. Witnessing magic unfold in front of your eyes is the greatest gift I know.

Humans are a collection of energy; when we put this power to work for good intentions, passion, and validation only then do we discover the actual benefits of being alive. It is the simple things we regretfully rebuke; they tied us together. The smile one gives when passing another on a sidewalk walking their dog. How one holds the door open to be pleasant; the other party runs to show gratitude.

When we hear goosebump music, we understand without having to open our mouths. People automatically realize the power of this energy, and that's what makes a home. Sometimes the missing feeling inside your chest is not that something is missing, but that you lack contentment. A home begins when you grasp the concept of what it is you wish to place in the home. I'd love to have a home built strictly out of chocolate and have a constant milkshake stream run through the living room. Except that would be a house and not a home.

I use the word home, not in the context you might imagine, but when you think about it, all that energy inside of you has a home and making that home colorful and beautifully gay is what you need to do. I say embrace what it is you feel and don't ever underestimate the urge to cry, be confused with yourself or to just run as you have never run before. Don't be so hard on yourself. It's good to hear that the weight of the Burj Khalifa and the Empire State has been lifted… I have a question… But how many years of weight training did it take you to raise those buildings? I want in on that superhuman strength.

You are strong; you'll work things out, I just know you will. You seem like the type of person, that when you have a plan, and you know where it is you want to go, you'll go.

I know I beat myself up consistently, but nothing ever stops me from getting out of bed in the morning. I have my troubles sure, and that's a part of me, but I think the real reason I get out of bed each day is to come to school, to see people, to see life.

Oddly, it makes me fortunate to see others happy, even if I am furious on the inside. So, just relax for the first time in forever; and you'll ace the counselor session on Wednesday.

Anyway, I got to go, my mom sent me a message telling me she is here to pick me up. It's after school hours, but I needed to stay back to do some assignments. That's the lie I told my mom. The real reason is, I just desired to sit in a room to clear my head. Anything beats the world outside my bedroom, but getting to write to you has made the silent endurance so much more comforting.

 

Until next time,

Isaac

Thank you guys for another read, as always there is more to come. Care to share your feedback, then let me know what you think :)  

I can officially say, I have written the last chapter and inscribed the words, "The End." And I'll tell you it feels bloody great lol. I hope the story lives up original value with the ending. The official ending is chapter 23. Everything must come to an end and as this story does, I'll move on to bigger and more powerful stories. Thanks for all your time :)

***

A special thanks to my patrons: Thomas Tallis, Don Jr., Joen, John, Danny, Matt, Scott, Joshua,

***

For updates and a full compilation of all my work, visit my website at - www.dk-daniels.com

***

Sign up to my mailing list to receive updates, some freebies and announcements.

Copyright © 2018 D.K. Daniels; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 8
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Fantastic chapter. Max may turn out to be a great friend for Issac after all, the way he arranged for Issac to run the football into the end zone which was the most fun he’s had in years since he wound up in the wheelchair after the accident. Then after the game he invited Issac to go to his house afterwards the two of them went out to eat and from what I read they actually had a good time. The letter that Issac wrote afterwards to Max said a lot about the character and fortitude that Max shows with Issac, it shows that Max is a very good judge of character and he has made a great impression on Issac and possibly his dad as well. I think that Issac’s dad has done a great job of raising his son who is in a wheelchair, he worry’s all the time about Issac as he doesn’t have a lot of friends. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Wonderful story amazingly well written. Congrats. Looking forward to the wind up; which way will it all go?

 

Thanks!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 3/29/2019 at 12:50 PM, ObicanDecko said:

Aww that was so sweet, got me a little teary-eyed! Max was so sweet to arrange all of that for Isaac! I hope the boys will remain close friends. :)

Glad you enjoyed the chapter, thanks very much. I love hearing when a moment from one of my stories connect with people emotionally, glad I got a tear-eye from you :) I hope the boys remain good friend also :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 3/29/2019 at 3:03 PM, Tonyr said:

I've changed my mind, happens! Max is agreat kid.

I guess Max has redeemed himself then, that's great to know. Thanks for the comment :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 3/30/2019 at 10:19 AM, Canuk said:

Wonderful story amazingly well written. Congrats. Looking forward to the wind up; which way will it all go?

 

Thanks!

Thank you so much, thanks for sticking with the story. I hope you enjoy the ending coming up. I've left it open to interpretation. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
14 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Amazing chapter, beautifully written.

Thank you so much, I hope you enjoyed the short novel so far :)

Link to comment
On 3/29/2019 at 5:11 PM, Butcher56 said:

Fantastic chapter. Max may turn out to be a great friend for Issac after all, the way he arranged for Issac to run the football into the end zone which was the most fun he’s had in years since he wound up in the wheelchair after the accident. Then after the game he invited Issac to go to his house afterwards the two of them went out to eat and from what I read they actually had a good time. The letter that Issac wrote afterwards to Max said a lot about the character and fortitude that Max shows with Issac, it shows that Max is a very good judge of character and he has made a great impression on Issac and possibly his dad as well. I think that Issac’s dad has done a great job of raising his son who is in a wheelchair, he worry’s all the time about Issac as he doesn’t have a lot of friends. 

Glad you enjoyed the chapter, I hope I get most things right about American football, here in Ireland we don't play the sport, and I had to learn some of the basic terminologies. I guess I kept it quite simple in that regard. I wanted Max to come back with a bang and I suppose with this action he did. I had something entirely different planned for his showcase, but I just had this random idea so I wrote it without thinking too much about it and I think it turned out the better alternative. Though, I wanted to include a piece about Isaacs dad being lonely and a little worried since his son is spreading his wings. I think over the course of this book the boys have grown a lot, and I hope I have been able to show that. With the last chapter,  I hope to be able to drive home the friendship that they have created and leave it open so the boys will continue the friendship long after the conclusion of the book. :) Thanks for your comment.

Link to comment

When I first started reading this chapter I was afraid that something happened. Isaac said “If this ends up being our last letter”.  As I read along I learned for sure that something did happen and it was all positive. I also realized at the end Isaac have Max his contact information to text, call or write using another means.  It is very obvious the two of them will continue to communicate with each other. Who knows it might just be a life long friendship.  As a teacher in the United States, I was able to set up with a classroom in Canada a pen pal thing, very much like this writing.  It even turned out that we were able to visit our pen pals. Some of those pen pal connections are still going on.  This past fall I flew to Stockholm, Sweden to see an exchange student who lived with me 25 years ago. This story really hit home with me because it was so real. I have experienced first hand what this story was about.  There are lots of unknown people out there. Life can be made rich by getting to know them.   Great story, I can’t say I am looking forward to Ch23 because I know that will be the end of the story from you, but I also know from real life experience it will not be the end of a friendship begun from a writing assignment. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Gave it a WOW, but it deserves a ❤️ Too. What a beautiful chapter!  Thank you!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
13 hours ago, mfa607 said:

Gave it a WOW, but it deserves a ❤️ Too. What a beautiful chapter!  Thank you!

Thanks for the comment and both the wow... they are equally as awesome. I am delighted the story has captivated you, I had a good time telling the story, though now its onto the next lol. This chapter, however, I am proud of... so I am glad that many people liked it :)

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..