Jump to content
    D.K. Daniels
  • Author
  • 2,382 Words
  • 3,698 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

You & I - 11. Chapter 11

Visit my website or sign up for my mailing list to ensure you don't miss any fun future updates.

View Website

To Sherlock,

I chose to stay behind after school let out, I know weird right. I'll miss chatting with you also; that is until Monday rolls around again. I have to say the teachers transfer the contents of the mailboxes daily and even on a Friday, that is what I call service because I received your note.

As with the end of your message, I can't quite say what the weekend has in store for me. I suspect I have some work to catch up on, and my dad requires me to begin searching for a summer job for when the semester finishes. Like I want to work; vacation time is to chill and soak up the sun. I wish I lived in California or something, they are lucky they get the lovely weather almost every day and then when it does rain, it is equally as unique. I have Basketball practice on the weekend, the coach decided to relocate it from a weekday to the weekend, so that is going to be great… eating up our weekend.

I hope that the practice goes well. Otherwise, I estimate I might ask the coach to switch me around with one of the other players because I am not up to par. I would not be able to play comfortably and go home following a match and pretend everything is okay when I let the entire team down and myself. I'd rather let someone else fulfill the roll while I get back on track. I don't usually like allowing people to take my place in the world, just I guess its better than hearing my friends mouthing off to me how I screwed up, or possibly noticing them behind my back saying things.

Sounds like you get stuck with your cousin as I do get lumbered with my little brother.

Mom is like, "here, take Jordon with you…"

Like I need him to latch to me like the plague when my friends are about. I cannot do some of the more grown-up things due to him present. I have nightmares alone imagining what he'd say to my mom if he caught me doing something that he did not understand or thought I should be doing. Plus, he gets grumpy sometimes, and if he gets annoyed at me and rats me out for something petty, now that's just stupid.

Ah, yes, thank God for lifeguards, they are hot. I mean hospitable, they are fantastic when they let two people go down a slide or something… But yeah anyway my mom or dad usually drives me to the swimming pool. The last time I went with the boys, my friend Coren hit his head on the bottom of the pool, and he ended up with a nosebleed. We were not horsing around, but the dude that helped out was neat. The young man stood talking to us by the edge of the pool as we all huddled around my friend sitting on the tiled window pane. We hung around for a bit until Coren said it was okay to head off, and thank God he said it because it was starting to get cold. You know when you get out of warm water, and then the crisp air in the room begins to attack you, and your only reaction is to shiver well… Yeah, that's what happened. No idea why that seemed like something to tell, but I just thought it was.

Ah, and yes, the Tigers have a game tomorrow. What sort of question is that? Of course, I am going. They are my old team. I have to support them no matter what. After all, my little brother might end up on the same team, when he's old enough to drive any interest in sports. I'll never get the little doofus in my life; Jordon is good at Lacrosse and football, he's fast, faster than me. I could see him being a linebacker. Except he has no motivation.

Ah, yes, my messy, jumbled up job interview. I am surprised that I even got in at all. From what I have read, it could suggest you liked my previous reply comparing it to your response to the five questions you conducted to see if I was adequate.

Yes, I am humbly sorry for destroying the excitement you built up for wanting to taste my legendary brewing skills. However, just to clarify... I did say you could drink it, but it could be poisoned. After all, it is entirely up to you if you wish to do a risky deed after all. For me, if I saw my cup of Joe, I don't think I would even regard whether the coffee is like tar. I'd still helplessly sip it without considering whether the thing is poison or not. Funny ain't it? Wouldn't take a genius to eliminate me if I were King.

Sticky notes. Yeah, I reckon that would be quite bright like a neon sign. Kind of funny I guess, but yeah, I'd probably be one of those receptionists who consistently makes excuses, and always send your clients in late. Look at the bright side, you'll have plenty of free time on your calendar. If anything, you should be delighted to have such a caring and compassionate secretary who mopes around for most of the day and lets you relax. Well, the real reality in the entire situation is that I will be lying face down on the desk in the foyer.

To the best of my knowledge from what my father told me a couple years back. An Irish banshee is theoretically a fairy of varieties. It's usually a woman who's moderately old and who can be heard shrieking or groaning. Nonetheless, in most situations, when a banshee is discussed, its typically witnessed as a young woman, as a prospect for young men. The illusion is given that the sweet young singing girl is every man's dream. However, at nighttime, that is when her real horror shines through. She can be seen nestling beneath the trees, shrouded in cloaked garments, lamenting and caressing her veiled face, even crying. Anybody who is caught out with her during the night, has said that she can shape shift to some sort of degree, and the lovely singing turns from sweet blissful melody to bitter crying and squawking. There is also the adage that if it is a quiet night, and you hear screeching over the hillside: someone of your immediate family is bound to certain death.

Perhaps I do have the voice of an angel, I just, I never really tried. I reckon I could give it a whirl and see do I deafen anybody. No problem I'll refrain from mentioning Tina Turner again. She does have some good jams. Now I have been saddened by your statement, I was looking forward to helping you yodel.

As much as life is full of disappointments, what is life when you really look at it; it's a piece of shit ain't it. I presume there are a lot of sadder things to miss out on than a professional handmade sandwich by my hands. But I agree with you... Sandwichland would be utterly engrossing.

Yeah, I don't think no matter what you say would get me to go near the edge of that ledge. I'm sorry that's the way it is, I don't like heights. I've even tried to tackle it, but it never seems to get any better. I understand, however, if it were a lifeline I would try to attempt to stop your demise. You know that rational kind of energy that just kicks into motion whenever there is something incredibly horrible about to happen. Yeah, well I suppose I would probably get down to my stomach and try crawling to the edge of the sheer drop to pull you back up. Alternatively, I am pretty fearless when it comes to most other things, but not heights.

It is great to realize that I finally belong somewhere now, I'll start Monday, no later. Except, I did not garner 10 years' worth of filling material, so you're going to have to have at that yourself.

Okay, I promise not to mention anything again. Plus, that also goes for the, "have you got a dream... seize it," ideal. I'm not sure why I am putting this here, but I figured since we are talking about pretty much anything, I might as well. My cousin wants to go see that movie Love, Simon. Not sure why she desires to go see it, but I don't want to bail on her so I said I'd go view it. It's supposed to be about some closeted gay kid. Therefore, it's a new experience for me to witness.

With what you said about the screaming to the high heavens, about what happened. May I ask what exactly you are talking about. Sorry if I am parading to close to home for you. It's just, I am interested in getting to know you and since you mentioned that you have a lot of anger and bitterness or well your mom said you did, from what you stated. I am just trying to piece things together to figure out what transpired.

As opposed to having a little brother or sister, I can happily trade my brother with you for an afternoon… or indefinitely. Actually, I'm joking. I love him even though he drives me crazy. I can't imagine a time there wasn't without him invading my privacy or continually following me. It would be sad to think of a world without my brother, even though I could rightly knock him out at times, but that's brotherly love. You love them one moment, and then you’re pleading with your mother after knocking out some of his teeth the next. I'd say… they were crooked anyway.

In all honesty, I have never helped my little bro with his homework, sure we talk occasionally about movies and problems, but I have never supported him with his school work. Perhaps I do have a couple of things to learn from you, and that is something I should do. After all, I am the bigger brother, and I have a legacy to live up to, so, thanks for giving me the inspiration to be a slightly better big brother. I'll do that sometime over the weekend. I'll get him off his cellphone for a while and get him out in the backyard to enjoy some fresh air for a change.

You have legitimately made me crack up. I promise I won't tell you if I decided to take to cross-dressing and to have secret intimate conversations with oneself. Except, lookout, I don't want to be cliché. Consequently, I won't murder you in a shower cubicle. I'll make it my utmost best to think of something new and utterly shocking. And no… I have never heard of the movie called Disturbia, but I'll search for it on Netflix tonight, and if not there I'll see can I get it on the iTunes store. I'll let you know if I think it is a carbon copy of Rear Window. Ah, and cool, I didn't know that. That guy must have some seriously dark thoughts if he invented those creations. Though of course, he would be a genius for reviving the face of horror.

And hey, about the friend thing' it's cool. I think I can understand how it would appear. I guess there are some people who are naturally quiet who would like to be in my position. Being surrounded by people is fun, just as you mentioned, it is a lot of work. You continuously have to be on guard, in the humor all the time and outdo yourself in every interaction. I will agree that sometimes it would be nice to take a breather, sit down for a minute and not to have to live up to someone else's mental image of what my life ought to be like. If we ever meet after these letters, that is if you want. I promise you, you will not just be a kid who turns up at school to do your classwork and then disappears. I don't see how people would not like you, because you seem pretty impressive.

Wow… I just had a thought. Sure, you made the controversial topic more relatable considering it would appear that way. We know nothing more than what other humans have told us to be true. There is nothing but a story from where we have come from. Everything is a miracle, and I suppose the quicker and sooner we realize that we are just here and that's that, then the more content we can be. We are never going to know where we came from or what our purpose is. The fact we are just here is evident in itself. For all, we know, cats and dogs have no more of an understanding of what they are than we do. We know only a little of what they are and what we are? Everything we consider to be true has been born a story, right down to the piece of paper in front of me I am writing on. It all began as an idea to fulfill a need, and that is how we got here. Stories always have I guess, filled in the missing pieces of what we don't know, but wish we knew. For instance, the Kraken in the pirates' age could have easily been as popular as the idea of Moby Dick in its day, and as presumably, God is/was of today's standing. We humans need something to look up to fear, and something to believe. I believe you have stumbled onto something here. There is just us. If there are other signs of life, it's just them.

Anyway, you got me to thinking all about my purpose in life and why we are here. Not sure why, but, I oddly like It. Anyhow. I need to be going. If my friends catch me writing this letter after hours; if they come looking for me, they'll think I have lost a sense of mobility.

See you Monday,

 

From,

Watson.

My Website - www.dk-daniels.com - Find all my work in one place.
Lastly, feedback is crucial, I love hearing from you guys so don’t be afraid to drop an email. danny2017writing@outlook.com
Check out my Patreon for early access to chapters and exclusives. Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and whatnot for updates.
A special thanks to my patrons: Samuel Roe (Cynus), Thomas Tallis, Don Jr., Joen, Ozzy, John, Danny,
Copyright © 2018 D.K. Daniels; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
  • Love 4
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I am enjoying this, however, without a defined plot and each letter dependent on the last for continuity, it sometimes makes it  difficult to follow. I find myself having to reread prev letters to make sense of the current one. 

 

The bloke locking up he ran into...intriguing or a red herring?

 

Do they actually get to meet? Or am I following this until I/you/the characters die? Given I am older than the latter three, i feel that is the most likely!

 

Thanks.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, Canuk said:

I am enjoying this, however, without a defined plot and each letter dependent on the last for continuity, it sometimes makes it  difficult to follow. I find myself having to reread prev letters to make sense of the current one. 

 

The bloke locking up he ran into...intriguing or a red herring?

 

Do they actually get to meet? Or am I following this until I/you/the characters die? Given I am older than the latter three, i feel that is the most likely!

 

Thanks.

Aw-ha I apologize for that, but letters are basically plotless, and they are independent of one another, that is how it works. Perhaps if I was releasing it at a faster rate it would not be such a big problem or if you were going from one letter to the other it would not be a huge issue. I don't intend to drag the story out forever, I figure there could be about 20-25 letters worth of a story. Only I guess It will show how long it takes to work it out when I perfect it in my head. However, time constraints and work do get in the way. Also at the moment, I am writing seven different stories, these things take time. This chapter alone what you have read took 2 days to write and a day to edit. Yes, they will meet, only this story does not focus solely on that, a meeting will be in the later points of the story. If they met, then there is no need for letters. I will get there and I am confident by late October-November.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Sorry for the slow response, London is taking up a lot of time.  I have been enjoying the dialogue in this unfolding story.  The comments about “Love, Simon” were right on, only someone who has seen that movie could relate to it. There was a second factor that came out of the comments about the warm feeling. I don’t recall much conversation about “gay” and the way Watson seemed very accepting was a positive thing.  Another person has written a comment to you and asked if they will meet. That brought to mind two people I have communicated with.  One was years ago and our communication was letters, back before chat services.  We write for over 2 years and never did meet. I have continued to follow him and know he has done well with his life. The other person is someone I have chatted with for 10 years now. We have not meat either.  Friendships can be built in a very strong way with out ever meeting.  Having the emotional support of another person can be a very strong and beautiful thing.  I have seen these two boys bend and give and mold into someone the other one can better accept. That kind of is what a friendship is. You find common ground and you let go of things you find are not all that important. Some times we take a position just because the position we have is how we learned about something. The more we get to know, our position or standing can change. Friendships help us learn new things.  I enjoy your writing. You always cause me to think. It would be interesting if the opportunity ever arose to sit down and talk.  I had the opportunity to do just that with an author here in London last Monday.  He has written 40 books, I have read them all. We met at a pub, had a couple pints and then went out to dinner. It was three hours of enjoyment.  One of his books was the story of how he met his boy friend. On Tuesday he was flying to the Canary Islands to spend a few weeks with him. His BF had been here in England earlier this summer.  Life should be made up of friendships. I am very happy reading this and other stories you have written about growing friendships.  Thank you for writing. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 9/16/2018 at 8:13 AM, OzLoGo said:

Sorry for the slow response, London is taking up a lot of time.  I have been enjoying the dialogue in this unfolding story.  The comments about “Love, Simon” were right on, only someone who has seen that movie could relate to it. There was a second factor that came out of the comments about the warm feeling. I don’t recall much conversation about “gay” and the way Watson seemed very accepting was a positive thing.  Another person has written a comment to you and asked if they will meet. That brought to mind two people I have communicated with.  One was years ago and our communication was letters, back before chat services.  We write for over 2 years and never did meet. I have continued to follow him and know he has done well with his life. The other person is someone I have chatted with for 10 years now. We have not meat either.  Friendships can be built in a very strong way with out ever meeting.  Having the emotional support of another person can be a very strong and beautiful thing.  I have seen these two boys bend and give and mold into someone the other one can better accept. That kind of is what a friendship is. You find common ground and you let go of things you find are not all that important. Some times we take a position just because the position we have is how we learned about something. The more we get to know, our position or standing can change. Friendships help us learn new things.  I enjoy your writing. You always cause me to think. It would be interesting if the opportunity ever arose to sit down and talk.  I had the opportunity to do just that with an author here in London last Monday.  He has written 40 books, I have read them all. We met at a pub, had a couple pints and then went out to dinner. It was three hours of enjoyment.  One of his books was the story of how he met his boy friend. On Tuesday he was flying to the Canary Islands to spend a few weeks with him. His BF had been here in England earlier this summer.  Life should be made up of friendships. I am very happy reading this and other stories you have written about growing friendships.  Thank you for writing. 

Its okay no trouble, I know you are traveling. When I got traveling I often find it hard to send messages and what not when I have so much to fit in. I wanted to tell a little bit about the movie, but spoil it, so the only thing I could think of was to reference the plot. Watson is the gay kid, he is masking the identity with subtle hints. The first large hint was about the lifeguards being hot; a couple of letters back, and he crossed it out and put hospitable. I understand what you mean about talking to people for years and never meeting. I have many friends who I have messaged for years across the globe and I consider them friends now. Oddly enough, I have also fallen in love once before with a boy online, we talked for over 4 years. Sometimes friendships that are built purely on trust and without having a face to compare the name to, you make your own impression of how the person should look. However, for one thing, friendships are not my strongest points. I always feel like the odd one out even when I try incredibly hard. its great to hear that you got to meet another author that you admire his work. Yes, it probably would be interesting to meet a reader to hear their thoughts and to gain insight into who my readers actually are. It sounds like you had a nice day out. Myself and my boyfriend however like colder countries. We do like warmer climates, sweltering counties cant beat Denmark during Christmas.

Link to comment

 Where I live in the US, we have 4 full seasons. Winters always have snow, the question is, how much.  I enjoy skiing both alpine and down hill. I live about an hour away from one of the best resorts in Washington state. I have skied there for years as well as travel to other resorts all over.  I absolutely love winter, in fact I once thought I have participate in two complimentary activities. I can play golf until there is too much snow, and I can ski until the course is open to play golf.  Authors and visits.  The opportunity to meet Anthony kind of fell into place. Both of us were figuring, if it works, it will work. He had prewarned me, meet the author doesn’t always work out. I am glad to say our meeting went well.  I spent most of the time asking questions. I already knew that many of his books had elements of a biographical background.  One of his recent books has many elements of how he met his present BF. His partner of 30 years passed away a couple years ago.  Life is made up of people. Your stories are very enjoyable for me.  I enjoy how you think. I like the way you write your thoughts down.  I find you an interesting person.  I should say, one of the great outcomes of my conversation with Anthony was learning about Amazon’s self publishing services.  Several years ago I wrote a book I have thought about publishing but just never did it. I talked to some publishing houses but was discouraged with them.  Well I am looking forward to getting home and dusting off the file and do some work on the story so I can publish it. I already contacted someone about doing a cover for me. I will see how much illustration I want and they will do it too.  All the reading I have been doing and discussions like the kind I have had with you have encouraged me. Guess I should say thank you.  I look forward to your next writing. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
22 hours ago, OzLoGo said:

 Where I live in the US, we have 4 full seasons. Winters always have snow, the question is, how much.  I enjoy skiing both alpine and down hill. I live about an hour away from one of the best resorts in Washington state. I have skied there for years as well as travel to other resorts all over.  I absolutely love winter, in fact I once thought I have participate in two complimentary activities. I can play golf until there is too much snow, and I can ski until the course is open to play golf.  Authors and visits.  The opportunity to meet Anthony kind of fell into place. Both of us were figuring, if it works, it will work. He had prewarned me, meet the author doesn’t always work out. I am glad to say our meeting went well.  I spent most of the time asking questions. I already knew that many of his books had elements of a biographical background.  One of his recent books has many elements of how he met his present BF. His partner of 30 years passed away a couple years ago.  Life is made up of people. Your stories are very enjoyable for me.  I enjoy how you think. I like the way you write your thoughts down.  I find you an interesting person.  I should say, one of the great outcomes of my conversation with Anthony was learning about Amazon’s self publishing services.  Several years ago I wrote a book I have thought about publishing but just never did it. I talked to some publishing houses but was discouraged with them.  Well I am looking forward to getting home and dusting off the file and do some work on the story so I can publish it. I already contacted someone about doing a cover for me. I will see how much illustration I want and they will do it too.  All the reading I have been doing and discussions like the kind I have had with you have encouraged me. Guess I should say thank you.  I look forward to your next writing. 

Ah I see, I'd love to experience all four seasons. In Ireland, we are lucky to get two. There are Winter and Summer, there is really no distinction between the others other than the fact that leaves fall and leaves grow. For about 300 odds days of the year, it is raining or either dull. When the sun comes it out it is rear but when it does, people love it. However, our weather changes dramatically. It could be raining one moment, scorching the next, and then two days later it could be snowing. I have never been skiing I must try it; water sports is the biggest thing in Ireland apart from GAA. Golf for me has never been an attentive pastime. I need something a little more stimulating to keep my attention. That's great to hear, I am glad that the two of you guys hit off. It's nice to have friends around the globe. Most of my books, however, are not based on me or anyone I know. Sure, the odd thing that happens like climbing a tree as a kid made it into a story but that's about it. Everything else comes from my mind. Most people I normally know say they find me interesting. I find myself either one of the following; annoying or extremely uninteresting. I am a quiet soul; I tend to keep to myself. As for how I write things down; well that's just me being honest. Once I know who a character is, I try to be honest in everything that they are doing even if they are manipulative. Oh please, do tell me what your book is about. I am delighted that I have inspired you to write; so thank you. I don't know actually what I have done to elicit such a thank you, but I wish you all the best with your project. I hope you are well. :)

Link to comment

D. K. Daniels,  do you have lacrosse in Ireland? It's funny that you have lacrosse, because I thought it would be like team handball in the USA. I know about Team handball, as one of my cousin coaches youth team handball..but most Americans do not know what it is.. Lacrosse is fun..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
9 hours ago, BabyXander1990 said:

D. K. Daniels,  do you have lacrosse in Ireland? It's funny that you have lacrosse, because I thought it would be like team handball in the USA. I know about Team handball, as one of my cousin coaches youth team handball..but most Americans do not know what it is.. Lacrosse is fun..

Hey, we do have a small organisation that does Lacrosse, but it is not as big as it is in America. I believe handball is bigger in Ireland than Lacrosse. We have a woman's championship also here for the sport, its included in our GAA organisation for national sports. We've always jokingly called it beach volleyball without the net divide lol. I've played handball when I was a kid and teenager. So, about 6 or 7 years ago was the last time I played, I guess somethings just fade and come back with interest at different intervals.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..