Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Guero - 1. A Birth

Okay, I went back and forth on how I'd present this- one chapter with all those memories, or separate chapters. In the end, I decided to go with the latter. I hope y'all don't mind how short each one will be.

July 19, 2007

I remember waking up that morning, not knowing what was happening at that very moment.

After getting dressed, I went to the kitchen to get some breakfast, and I noticed something odd- there wasn’t any eggs and bacon being cooked by my mother. Heck, the stove wasn’t even on, and my mother was nowhere in sight. My twelve-year-old self shrugged at this, my stomach growls were of more pressing concern.

Well, there’s always cereal, I thought. So, I gathered the first two components- the milk carton and bowl, and after I had them on the countertop, I went looking for the most important component- Froot Loops!

I was about to pour my chosen cereal in the bowl when my sister rounded the corner and told me to follower her, Shata’s kittens had been born. I forget my hunger at that moment, the prospect of seeing newborn kittens crowded everything else out of my mind.

She led me down the hall, into my parent’s bedroom, and I saw my mother kneeling before a partially closed closet door. And I knew at that moment, that behind that door was Shata and her newborns.

I slowly walked towards the door, and when my mother stepped back for me, I peeked in…

… and saw the new mother resting as she fed her kittens. They were so tiny and adorable, and I reached forward to pet them. But my mother held me back, and told me to let them rest.

I took one last look of them, before I was gently led away by my mother- with the images of those kittens in the center of my mind… especially a snow white one, in particular…

You may be gone now, but Happy Birthday Guero! :heart: 
Copyright © 2017 Drew Espinosa; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



What a beautiful memory, and a wonderful way to pay tribute to your beloved friend.  (And I'm fine with however you choose to share these cherished memories with us). :hug: 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

At the age of 12, seeing a litter of newborn kittens is pretty memorable. A great start to your tribute to Guero, drew. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Perfect start, Drew. Just a normal morning for a twelve-year-old boy, and in the blink of an eye, an image is imprinted on that kid's brain, and his life is changed for the better... forever :heart: 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
15 hours ago, LitLover said:

What a beautiful memory, and a wonderful way to pay tribute to your beloved friend.  (And I'm fine with however you choose to share these cherished memories with us). :hug: 

Thank you Lit! :hug: Yesterday was a bit hard on me, given what it meant. I'm glad that you liked it. :kiss: 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
6 hours ago, dughlas said:

The memories remain ... take joy in them. Thank you for sharing Guero with us.

Guero's memories will always stay with me. :heart: Thank you Dugh! :kiss: 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Parker Owens said:

What a lovely memory, Drew. Beautifully drawn.

Thank you Parker, it means a lot!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, MacGreg said:

At the age of 12, seeing a litter of newborn kittens is pretty memorable. A great start to your tribute to Guero, drew. 

Thank you Sir! Your praise means a lot to me.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, Headstall said:

Perfect start, Drew. Just a normal morning for a twelve-year-old boy, and in the blink of an eye, an image is imprinted on that kid's brain, and his life is changed for the better... forever :heart: 

Thanks Gary! :glomp: Guero not only imprinted himself on my mind that day, he also imprinted himself on my heart. :heart: 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Beautiful memory.  I remember my first kitten, too! And all the subsequent kitten births I witnessed through the years.  And the special ones imprint quickly and forever. I still use my first kitten's name as my password at work. :heart:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, LadyDe said:

Beautiful memory.  I remember my first kitten, too! And all the subsequent kitten births I witnessed through the years.  And the special ones imprint quickly and forever. I still use my first kitten's name as my password at work. :heart:

Thank you LadyDe! If there is one thing I miss, it is his cuddles... :heart: 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

This is nice memory Drew and well thought out too. Posted on the tenth anniversary. I hope your sister didn't eat your fruit loops though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

great start Drew. i've seen many litters of newborn kittens, they leave a lasting memories, even 40 years later.  no matter long or short you will make them come alive, just like you did here.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

This brought back several memories of Cherry, Drewbear. The feeling of meeting someone special for the first time will stay imprinted on you forever. Can't wait to read the next ones :):hug:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..