Jump to content

Big Boy Pants

   (4 reviews)
Sub-genres: Drama, General Romance

Caleb's sanctuary is unexpectedly invaded, at a time he is feeling vulnerable, and it leaves him with no choice but to deal with some unfinished business.

A big thank you to Valkyrie for her excellent proofing.
Copyright © 2017 Headstall; All Rights Reserved.
  • Signature Author
  • 11/30/2017 (Updated: 11/30/2017)
  • 1 Chapters
  • 6,312 Words
  • 12,637 Views
  • 66 Comments
  • Teen
  • Complete

Story Recommendations (7 members)

  • Action Packed 0
  • Addictive/Pacing 4
  • Characters 6
  • Chills 0
  • Cliffhanger 2
  • Compelling 2
  • Feel-Good 0
  • Humor 0
  • Smoldering 3
  • Tearjerker 3
  • Unique 5
  • World Building 2

Select Chapter
Table of Contents

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

ChillFire

· Edited by ChillFire

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

Caleb makes a huge mistake, which leads him to make the sudden decision to move away. He is forced to return a year later, and he ends up running into the one person he would least like to see.

Likes

The writing was very atmospheric. I could easily imagine how everything in the barn played out in my head.

Realistic and captivating dialogue. (Important, considering that the plot is primarily driven by conversation.)

Wow, a Canadian setting!

Spoiler-y Thoughts

Spoiler

Likes

I really liked how Dalton was portrayed. You could tell how deep his friendship with Caleb was before "the incident" (Dalton brushing hay off of his hair), how he struggled to reconcile what he wanted in life with his mother's expectations, and how he was hesitant to actually say what he wanted now that Caleb was in front of him.

I didn't leave wanting more. Instead, I felt thoroughly satisfied with the ending and where it left the characters off at. (In my mind, Caleb and Dalton had their HEA.)

Dislikes

Extremely minor criticism: Perhaps the stuff about Dalton's father could've been fleshed out more? That specific plot point felt a tad underdeveloped on a re-read.

Verdict

Honestly, this is my number one favourite one-off on GA thus far. Highly recommended.

5 stars.

Response from the author:

Hey, Chillfire! Thank you so much for such a thorough and thoughtful review. I'm pleased you liked the dialogue... it is definitely dialogue driven. This was written for an anthology, so had to be a shorty, but I would have loved to expand it further. I usually feel that way with every short story because I tend to fall for my characters. :)  Still, like you, I am satisfied with how Dalton and Caleb's (Canadian) journey unfolded. Reviews often encourage new interest in my work, so I really do appreciate receiving them... they are a major tool in promotion of stories. I hope you check out more of my work. Cheers! Gary.

  • Love 2
Link to review
Caz Pedroso

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

This story makes me think of the importance of communication and patience.

Caleb thinks he’s not wanted and so he drops out and leaves home. Dalton needed time to come to terms with his feelings, but by the time he does Caleb is gone.

Caleb ignores texts and calls thinking the worse. What if he’d answered his phone? What if he’d not left? Well, you can keep going with the what ifs all day. But, the main thing is they finally talk and this time they take time to stay and listen as well.

A fascinating read.

  • Love 2
Link to review
ColumbusGuy

   1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

Already did--trying to figure out how to do a 'star' rating.

  • Love 2
Link to review
raven1

  

A barn filled with memories, two country boys and a second chance.  This short but sweet tale is a relaxing way to end the day.  I really love it, and sure other readers will also.

Response from the author:

It really is a feel good story, isn't it? Caleb and Dalton have a lot to talk over in this one, and even though this was early on in my short story writing, I am immensely proud of it. Thanks so much for the kind recommendation. Who doesn't love country boys? :) Cheers! :hug: 

  • Love 1
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..