Jump to content
    Headstall
  • Author
  • 5,404 Words
  • 3,172 Views
  • 52 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Larkspur: A Sidewinder Tale - 15. Chapter 15 Faith

Stewing....

Faith

 

 

Another frustrated burst of air could be heard from the fire pit in front of the cabin. Coy was tending to supper in the Dutch oven—stirring up a mess of new vegetables, cattail roots, wild onions, swamp rice, and spruce chicken—all seasoned with dried sage, fresh basil, salt, and some cracked pepper. Boone had watched him put it all together, and the mix of smells in the air had his stomach talking to him good and loud. Had been for a while.

Wasn’t much he could do for Coy—he was stewing more than the food in the cast iron pot. It weren’t that Boone was much better. The need to hear from Mitch was growing in him too, yet he’d been the one to talk Coy out of going over to the man’s land for a look around. There’d been a moment he thought he smelled sage burning from that direction, but didn’t mention it to Coy. Could have been what was cooking over the banked fire.

If Mitch wasn’t back yet, then he must have his reasons. He’d come home when he was good and ready—if he needed time, they had to respect such. Saying so had made Coy grumble. Fact was, they weren’t even sure he’d actually been seen by the doctor.

Unloading the logs hadn’t taken long, and the conversation with Will had been short, the man being agitated from the time he learned where Mitch was headed. They’d left him to his thoughts and went and done some stocking up before slipping in to talk with the owner of the Blue Flower Hotel. Alan Bright had given them a message the man needed to see them sometime soon, and it turned out he wanted as many bushels of apples as they could supply. His dining hall, busy as all get out when they walked through, was becoming known for its apple pies, and that meant needing enough preserves to last through till next harvest. He told them their apples were the ones requested by his cooks.

Boone was confident their yield would be more than double what it was the previous fall, what with the careful attention to destroying every caterpillar nest found on their land or next to it. They’d also removed all the brush and trees close to the fruit, as well as all dead vegetation from the base of trees.

They’d gotten a tip from a neighbor to dribble vinegar on the ground, as well as the trunks themselves, to control moths and such, and it appeared to be working—and any apple that fell got disposed of before it became a home for bugs. They were learning—Boone had built a couple of scarecrows to keep birds and such away—and their inspections continued to show there were no infestations or chew marks by unwanted critters. The extra sun and air the trees were now getting was surely helping their crop stay healthy as well, and they’d already transplanted about twenty sturdy seedlings onto Coy’s land for a new orchard.

They’d left the hotel excited about the increased demand from right within the town. No matter what they ended up with, they had all the apples spoken for, and the younger apple trees should start producing in three or four years, God willing. Coy had ordered a book on grafting, and they were going to tackle that in the future too.

It was after they were done with business that Coy insisted on going to the doc’s office to catch up with and check on Mitch. They found the place empty and his mare weren’t nowhere to be found on the main street.

They considered stopping back in at the mill to ask Will if he’d seen him ride by, but decided against it. Doing such might only serve to cause problems—especially after having seen his reaction earlier to news of Mitch’s plans. No need for the man to fret any more than he already was.

So instead they’d driven the team home, expecting they would find the sheriff busy with some chore, but there’d been no sign the man or his mare had returned. Other than Blue bellowing a greeting, they’d found their homestead quiet. Well more than an hour had passed, but it seemed they’d been waiting a heck of a lot longer.

“What if he’s feeling poorly?” Coy called over to him.

Boone held back a groan. This conversation had been going on since they got back from town, and while he understood Coy’s concern, it was wearing on him a mite. He was working on a piece of new harness at the bench and table he’d made for just such a purpose—they were easy to move around and convenient for eating at as well. Setting his tools down with a sigh quiet enough Coy couldn’t hear, he replied. “He looked fit as a fiddle this morning, did he not?”

“That’s not my meaning, and you know it. What if I got his hopes up and the doctor told him worse?”

“Coy, how many times I got to say you didn’t get his hopes up… you got yours up, and maybe mine—”

“Sorry. Sorry for doing such.”

“No reason for sorry. Nothing wrong with hoping, but it’s in the Lord’s hands and always has been. Mitch knows he’s sick already, so how much worse could it be? He’ll be here sooner or later, and when he does, we’ll listen, if’n talking’s what he needs—could be he won’t want to and that’s fine too. Simple as that.”

“Might be it is for you,” Coy said, sounding miserable.

“Why ain’t it for you?”

“Because he should be back by now—we were in town long enough to sprout beards—and the fact he’s not could mean he’s going off on his own, not wanting to be a burden to us.”

“Why would he do such a thing? He bought land to be buried on.”

“He bought that land so he could leave it to us. He wanted that settled in his mind.”

“Maybe so, but—”

“Wait! Is that…? Boone! Look there! I see him coming through the trees… yep… that’s him, and look at that! He’s with Will of all people.”

Boone turned his head to where Coy was looking, and still far away but coming from the east were the two men. Appeared they were in the middle of a serious conversation before trees blocked them from view again.

“Wonder what Will is doing here? He should be at the mill for hours yet, what with all that work he’s got piled up.”

“Hard to say, but they’re talking. Could be a good thing.”

“Didn’t appear to be angered,” Coy said, standing and gawking through the stand of pines halfway hiding the men.

“No, I wouldn’t say so from the glimpse I got, but they are talking serious. Mitch’s hands were moving the way they do when he’s excited. We should be minding our own business. They’ll let us know when they get here.”

“You think Will is here because Mitch needed someone to talk to after seeing Doc Jergens? Must be he went to see Will right after?”

“Don’t get ahead of yourself. They’ll be here soon enough.”

“I see them again. Yep, they look to be yammering still.”

“Why don’t you give that stew a stir and I’ll get back to my harness.”

“Stew’s fine and I ain’t going to pretend I weren’t worried. The sheriff wouldn’t believe it anyway.”

Boone chuckled. “Suppose he wouldn’t at that.” He turned his gaze back to the men as they came around the front of the barn. He was surprised to see them step inside.

“What are they doing?”

“How should I know, Coy?”

“All the stock’s out of there. Hey, where are their horses?”

“Reckon they’re back on Mitch’s land. Mitch always has his hobbles tied to his saddle.”

“But why?” Coy asked as he took a few steps towards the barn. “Must mean they’re going back there. You don’t suppose they figured things out between them, do you?”

Boone snickered. “You’re driving yourself loco, and me to boot.”

Coy snorted. “What do you expect? Waiting here all this time for some news. They’re still in there… you don’t suppose they’re kissing?”

“Kissing? Why would you figure such?”

“Well… what would we be doing if we stepped into an empty barn in the middle of the day?”

Boone’s gaze traveled back to the barn. “Sure as hell, we’d be kissing.”

“Yep, we would.” Coy smiled Boone’s way as his shoulders relaxed. “Might be they’ll share some good times after all, while they still can. Could be the doc gave him more time than Mitch expected.”

Boone smiled at the man’s back as he went back to the Dutch oven and lifted the lid. Whether Coy was right or not, Mitch and Will were talking and that was all they could ask for. Coy had done good with getting them together, and that made Boone happy because it would make his lover happy.

Kissing? Was as good an explanation as any, he supposed. They wouldn’t have long to wait to find out because the two men had just come out of the barn, Mitch first and Will following close behind. That’s how they walked the rest of the way.

“Afternoon, boys. Sorry I took so long coming back. Had some stuff I had to let settle first.”

Coy put the lid back on the Dutch oven and stood up straight. “Not going to say I wasn’t worried, but we’re just glad to see you home.”

“He was fretting some,” Boone said, getting a glare from Coy that made him chuckle.

“I expected he would. No need for such anymore, youngster.”

“Just wanted to know you were all right, and I can see you are. Got a good supper on with plenty for all of us. Surprised to see you here this time of day, Will, what with all those piles waiting to be milled.”

“Had something important to do… a thing what couldn’t wait.”

Boone saw the fleeting smile that appeared on Mitch’s face, and he wondered just what had happened. “So, you fellows friends again?”

“I reckon you could say that,” Mitch answered. “Will was waiting for me on my land after you and Coy told him my business, and… well… we have us an understanding. Going to build a life together best we can, and we have you fellas to thank for it.”

“You’re going to build a life together?” Coy asked, jaw dropping before a confused smile made a quick appearance. “Well I’ll be damned! Glad to hear such, but we don’t deserve no thanks. What… what did—”

“Sure there is… you’re the one who badgered me to git to the doctor and wouldn’t shake off it.”

“The doctor? What does he have to do with you and Will’s deciding to…?” Coy’s jaw dropped again as his words trailed off.

Boone’s did as well, but he was quick to close his mouth. “Just what are you saying, Sheriff?”

Mitch grinned. “Y’all got to stop calling me Sheriff. Decided I’m done being a lawman—going to give working at the mill a try—in between trying my hand at farming that land yonder.” His grin got bigger as he watched Boone and Coy. Will’s expression matched as he did the same, staring at the boys in amusement.

“Farming? Does that mean you’re not… just tell us! What did Doc Jergens have to say about your tumor disease?”

“Well… he said I weren’t dying anytime soon. Don’t have no tumors he can find… says they weren’t never there—Doc Bailey was wrong—and I wouldn’t have known such if you hadn’t prodded at me day after day.”

Coy burst out laughing as he stepped back and sat down on one of the stump seats, and Boone understood the joy he was feeling. “Glad to hear I did something right after all.” The laughter soon stopped and he turned noticeably paler at the wallop of hearing this new diagnosis. “I… I don’t hardly know what to say…had faith you’d get some good news, but this the best we could ever hear… right Boone?”

“Almost as good as that time hearing the deal for our land was done—hell, what am I saying? It’s a damn sight better than that,” he agreed with his own happy laugh. He gave Coy a sideways glance and saw he was slowly getting over his shock.

“My old carcass being around a while longer don’t compare to what you got here, but I surely appreciate what you boys done for me.”

“You’re our friend, one we don’t ever want to lose”—Coy stood back up—“and you remember Wes and Lee same as we do—we’re all that’s left who do.”

“True enough. I swear I could hear them talking clear as a bell last night.”

“I hear them sometimes too,” Boone said.

“And me,” Coy added. “I think they’d be happy we’ve become good friends for one another, and that includes you, Will. You’re being awful quiet standing there.”

“Well, boys… I reckon I ain’t ever been this content in my whole life. Never knew folks like Wes and Lee, or like you and Boone before. Never knew any men who were coupled up, and it’s nice not to have to hide who I be. Can breathe easier, you know?”

Boone watched as Mitch took hold of Will’s hand. The man appeared to grip it tight as a happy smile covered his face.

“Anyways, I’ll let you folks do the talking and I’ll just be here thinking how lucky I am Mitchell figured out he wants me around.”

“First of all, we need to get something straight. No one but you can call me Mitchell. You boys hear that?”

Boone nodded, but Coy snickered, making no such promise.

Mitch made a low growl in his throat. “You got no sense if you think I’m fooling, young Diamond. Anyone else says that name I think it’s my pa ready to lay a beating on me.” His voice was firm, but his eyes twinkled. “Second, it’s more than wanting you around, Will. It’s about I love you as much as I ever did. My heart is plumb full with it.”

“I’ll tell you what—I know that, but I left it for you to say in front of these friends of ours. Don’t want to be speaking for you and I already told them my feelings. Besides, I ain’t never going to tire of hearing you say it.”

Boone was struck by how much younger Will looked compared to a couple of hours earlier at the mill. His broad, teasing smile made his handsome face even more so.

Mitch rolled his eyes at all of them before focusing on Will. “You just heard me say it not three minutes ago in that there barn.”

“Yep, but now I’ve got witnesses if you ever try to change your mind.”

A gleeful laugh came from Mitch, and like Will, he looked younger too. He was certainly as relaxed as Boone had ever seen him. No doubt for it. These two were as happy as two men could be. Boone knew that feeling well.

“Already told you nothing or no one would be running me off, not even you.” He stepped closer, his finger tilting Will’s jaw towards his. Boone was struck dumb as their lips met in a kiss, and his gaze flicked to Coy to see him gawking same as him. He’d never seen two other men brave enough to kiss in front of someone—not even Wes and Lee—at least not in broad daylight, and it was a wonder to witness. It made him happy in a soft and gentle way.

When the kiss ended, Boone saw they were both smiling before their lips even parted. “I owed these two to see us smacking lips, seeing as how I had the pleasure of seeing them do the same the first day I got here. Course, they didn’t know I was there at the time—accused me of sneaking up on them, they did,” he added while still smiling. “Now you got witnesses for the kiss too, not that you needed any.”

“No, I’d say not. That was convincing enough for me.”

Coy spoke up, his voice carrying some thickness to it. “I got to ask—what did you fellas go into the barn for?”

Mitch laughed. “Of course you do. Truth is, I steered him in there for a kiss… maybe two.”

“It was four,” Will said with a smug smile.

“Hah! See, I done told you, Boone.”

“Yep, you were right.” It did his heart good to see how happy Coy was. He was about to burst and Boone knew it wouldn’t be long before the questions started coming. “Supper about ready? My stomach is touching my backbone.”

“Same here,” Mitch said. “Let’s eat before Coy starts interrogating us like we were in front of the county judge.”

Coy scowled and Boone laughed. “You fellas take the bench,” he said as he set his harness and tools aside. “And just so you know, Coy won’t be the only one doing the interrogating. Did the doc give you a clean bill of health, Sheriff?”

Mitch’s gaze flickered to Coy who was about to dish up the stew onto broad-rimmed tin plates. “It’s about what he said. There’s been blood in my spittle, but he says it’s from my throat. He told me it would take some time to heal up good, and said I had to be careful of getting a chill.”

Coy spun around. “Just like I told you! You shouldn’t be sweating up like you’ve been… chopping wood and digging post holes,” he said accusingly.

“Whoa, boy. That’s not what he meant a’tall. I told him I laid on cold ground for a spell and ended up coughing. That’s the kind of chill he was talking about, so don’t you be getting all fluffed up like a rooster.”

“A chill is a chill and you can’t deny it!”

Boone chuckled as the man sighed. “No sense arguing with him.”

“No, I suppose there ain’t. I’ll be careful, I surely will. Got plenty of reason to now, sitting right here.”

“Well, at least there’s no need to lay on cold ground, not when you have that mattress in there.”

“I appreciate that, but Will and me are sleeping in my tent tonight.”

“Why in the blazes would you do such a thing?”

“Coy,” Boone warned. “I’m sure Mitch will be in a bedroll, so don’t be acting like a mother hen.”

Coy blew out a deep breath. “First I’m a rooster—now I’m a hen. All I’m saying is, why can’t they just sleep in Mitch’s room instead of on the ground?”

“I appreciate you calling it my room, but I want to be on my own land, is why,” Mitch answered. “But there’ll come a time we might make use of your hospitality again… once the weather turns. Got a lot of building to do before winter. Need us a home—want to build a log one like yourn—and a barn, and hopefully a well… got a spring close by, though, if there ain’t time for such this year.”

“We can help with all of that, including lining the well with stone, can’t we, Boone. I reckon there'll be no need for digging deep, just like ours.”

“Course we can. We got the apple harvest coming, and our vegetable garden too, but they ain’t for a while yet. Need to hunt a day or two in the fall, but our barn is big enough we can wait till next year to add on—”

“I don’t want to see you put that off. Promised I would help, so we can do that first.”

“Not your decision, Mitch… we already decided we ain’t getting any beef cattle till next year, if we do at all. I’ll hook up the team first thing in the morning and we can get the foundation rocks for your house set in place before noon if you know where you want to build. We’ll use some of the ones we already collected for the barn, and the rest can be used for the well… and don’t be arguing with me either.”

Mitch sighed, looked Will’s way, and then nodded. “Know when there’s no sense to something—I’m beholding to you both. We got the spot picked out already, don’t we, Will.”

“Yep. Prettiest spot, close to the ravine. Clear and flat.”

“You got many standing dead trees on your property for the house?”

“I counted some good ones. Don’t know how many, but—”

“The property to the east has plenty of dead cedar and pine,” Will said. “Straight and true they be.”

“How do you know what grows on that land over there?” Mitch asked, his face in a deep frown.

“Walked a bunch while I was waiting for you. Didn’t go far, but I’m used to paying attention to trees.”

“Oh.” His frown lifted. “Suppose you would be, but they won’t do me any good.”

“They would if I bought the land.”

“Now why in the dickens would you do such a thing?”

“Told you I would worry for our safety, didn’t I?”

Mitch nodded, his attention focused on Will. Boone and Coy were focused on him too. “Yep, you did say such.”

“So… I reckon we should do the same as these boys done. As far as anyone’s concerned, you and I would own land side by each, and there’d be no cause for talk if we strike up an old friendship again, especially if you work at the mill with me too.”

“He’s right, Mitch. It works fine for Coy and me, and no one appears to question how we live our lives, leastways not to us.”

Mitch’s head bobbed again. “I see that, I surely do, but Will already has his place in town.”

“Not really, I don’t… got a corner of the mill is all, and many’s the time folks have asked me why I don’t build a house for myself. We still plan on living in the same place, right?”

“Of course, but I thought we’d live on my land, not having you need to buy property—can you afford to do such a thing?”

Will smiled. “Oh… I see—reckon we need to do some talking. What I’ll tell you for now is I could buy ten—even twenty—parcels of land and it wouldn’t make much difference to what I have stored away in the bank.”

“You telling me you’re a rich man?” Mitch eyebrows were sitting high after he asked the question.

“Don’t know about rich, but the mill does better than likely any other business in Larkspur, and the bank loves me for it. New settlers have been arriving and building since I came here—the town took off right after I bought that old, half-burnt mill no one wanted, and it ain’t stopped growing since. Suppose you could say I’ve reaped the benefits of that.

“And not too far off from now, word is the railway plans to build a line straight to us—they got a clear shot from the south with easy terrain to lay rail through—and that opens up new markets for me. Everyone needs lumber, and they come to me for it because I’m fair and I’m dependable. Right after I said I’d take half the logs in payment for milling the other half, folks lined up. Best thing I could have done—ain’t never run out of finished lumber to sell after doing such, and it goes right quick.”

“Proves you got a good head for business, for sure. So… you don’t need to work as hard as you do?”

“Never need to work another day in my life if I choose not, but the mill kept my mind busy enough to forget I was alone. Reckon now, since that ain’t the case no more, I might want to take some time off… train some new help if I can find it. Might want to try my hand at farming too,” he added with a grin.

“Guess I should tell you I’m far from rich, but I can live more than a few years on what I got saved up from sheriffing and selling my little house.”

“I figured that when you bought your property. So then, I’ll buy the land and we’ll call ourselves neighbors… and build me a stick built cabin next year just for the appearances of it.”

Mitch appeared unconvinced to Boone. He was about to speak up when Mitch did.

“Do you even like that piece of land?”

“What I’ve seen of it, I do for sure. It’s got plenty of good, straight hardwood, and lots of spruce, pine, and cedar—even some walnut. Lot more trees than your land from what I can tell.”

“Lots of maple too, to the north. It’s good land, but you’re right, Will,” Boone said. “We’ve walked it, and it’s mostly mature woods. Got a bit more slope to it than Mitch’s, but it’s still pretty flat. There happens to be a big meadow of about eight acres or so towards the north end you might not have seen.”

“And it’s got at least one good spring,” Coy added, sounding excited for the idea.

“Eight acres would be a good-sized pasture,” Mitch said, his frown easing.

“And it’s about seventy-five, maybe seventy-eight acres in total if I remember right. A couple of other clearings to the south, not near as big… but each could make a good home site for you,” Boone said.

Will nodded to all of them before turning his attention back to Mitch. “How about we walk it in the morning, and we can decide together? I’d like to do it quick in case someone else is interested.”

“Phineas Lemon told me and Coy everyone’s buying up the land to the south of town, and there’s more to be opened up there and farther east before long.”

“There you go. Sounds like there’s no need for rushing, but it’s your decision,” Mitch said, still looking unsure.

“Suppose it is, but I want your opinion first. If nothing else, it would be good for my business. I’m always happy to get good trees. A new furniture maker in town will pay dear for any good oak or walnut I can provide him, and I know there’s plenty of healthy oak over there. Besides, I’ve been wanting to put my big horse to good use. Bought him from a man who used him for logging, and all I do is feed the fat son-of-a-gun. Time he earned his keep.”

Mitch smiled for the first time since the bordering land was mentioned. “You’ve got me halfway convinced. I reckon it might be a good plan at that.”

“Told you I’d keep us safe.”

“Safe and private. Would certainly be good to not have neighbors close by.” They shared a look that had Boone shifting his gaze away.

“Coy, you need any help spooning out that food. I’m about to pass out from hunger,” he said as their eyes met, each showing their joy.

Coy looked at the hand-carved beech ladle in his hand—a tool made by Boone during the longer winter nights—and groaned. “Sorry, fellas. Got caught up in the conversation. Boone, can you get the tin of biscuits I made yesterday from out the cupboard?”

Boone did as he was asked, leaping up the steps into the cabin, and they were all soon shoveling food into their mouths and sopping up the juices with the sweet biscuits Coy was getting real good at making. The talk continued around mouthfuls, but slowed as they finished.

“Sure you fellas won’t sleep here for the night?” Coy asked as he gathered up the empty plates for washing.

Boone stood up from his seat on the steps and stretched. “Mitch? Since you’re here, could you give me a hand putting the stock in for the night?”

“Happy to. Reckon I might should lead Willard this time. Will can help guide if he can still move after that fine meal.”

“Got my appetite back, and I thank you for the vittles, Coy,” Will said happily. “Who’s Willard?”

“Any time a’tall, Will—enjoyed the company. You didn’t answer my question, Mitch,” Coy said, looking put out.

“Sure I did, before we ate. You just ain’t one to give up.”

Boone and Will burst into laughter, and that got them both glares.

“You could go back and forth is all I’m saying. It’s a short walk, and you’ll get better rest on that mattress in there.”

“Have a feeling we’ll be going back and forth on this for weeks at the least. I don’t mind you worrying for me, I truly don’t, but I ain’t got no plans to get sick again. Remember how you felt spending your first night on your land with Boone here? I bet it was something special to wake up the next morning.”

Coy’s gaze met Boone’s and he saw the man’s features soften. “I surely do, and it surely was something special.”

“Then you understand that’s what me and Will are looking to share.”

“Yep… I reckon you’ve made your point.”

Will was still looking happy as he watched everyone. “So… who’s Willard?”

 

Just before dusk, Boone and Coy stood with arms around each other watching their friends set off towards the bridge. Each man was carrying one of Mitch’s packs, supplies they would need come morning. Coy had given Mitch some biscuits, a slab of salted pork, and a good chunk of cheese, as well as one of the extra kerosene lanterns to take with them, and even after they disappeared into the trees, the glow from it could be seen every so often, like a giant firefly flitting from place to place.

“It’s been a fine day, hasn’t it?”

“The best,” Coy answered. “I can’t believe how it’s worked out.”

“You never lost faith, Coy… and there’s power in that. Not the first time it feels the Lord is on our side, is it?”

Coy smiled. “No, and we shouldn’t ever forget that. I might speak it more, but you carry as much faith as I do… faith… Faith… that’s it!”

“That’s what?”

“Faith… you’ve been yammering at me to name the filly, and I finally found the right one for her. We’ll call her Faith. She’ll be a reminder we have so much to be thankful for. In spite all the bad things what happened, we managed to find each other, and while we lost Wes and Lee, they gave us the gift of this land and led us to our friendship with the sheriff. And now the Lord’s seen fit to put those two men over there back together, and he kept Mitch from dying. Faith… that meet with your approval?”

“It surely does. It’s perfect as perfect can be. I reckon she looks like a Faith, sure as anything, and I think you’re ma, God bless her, would approve too.”

“Yep, she surely would.” Coy smiled and leaned his head against Boone’s as they continued to stare in the direction their friends had taken. The faint sound of laughter could be heard in the distance. “Ain’t hard to tell those two belong together,” Coy said softly.

“Just like us.”

“Yep, exactly like us. I can’t imagine loving you for more than twenty years and not seeing you that whole time.”

“They’re all the proof a fellow needs to know real love can last through just about anything.”

“Till there’s snow on their roofs?” Coy asked with a smile in his voice.

“Yep, just like us,” he answered, twisting so they were face to face. He moved both hands up into hair black as night, his fingers brushing against Coy’s scalp with a practiced touch that often made him shiver. It did this time too, and Boone didn’t need any words for what he had to say next.

 

 

 *

Thanks for reading. We are getting close to the end of this little story. I hope you are enjoying it, and share your thoughts with me on how it makes you feel. Cheers!
Copyright © 2021 Headstall; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Love 63
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Just now, Wesley8890 said:

Freaking insomnia decided to rear its ugly head so i didnt sleep any last night, so i had to sneak a nap. 

I loved this chapter. Nice and lighthearted. 

Oh, I hate when that happens. Thanks, Wes! It was time for some lightheartedness. :yes:  Cheers! :hug: 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
18 minutes ago, FanLit said:

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

This chapter left me with extremely happy feels.

 Witnessing Coy’s loving tenacity balanced  by Boone’s calm, cool yet passionate patience put me in mind of a phrase I used for the guys before: Yin and Yang….these two complement and balance each other per-fect-ly.  The comedy show displayed with them waiting for word from Mitchell exemplified that.  The payoff from the good news was worth it, as was the watching the safe space these four are creating for each other to be themselves and love the way they want to love.  (I loved Mitch and Will kissing in front of B & C….how free and trusting they felt to have done that!! payback be damned, lol).  There is a bountiful harvest of more than apples due from that area;  About that….                                            It further gladdened my heart to see the burgeoning moguls Boone and Coy are on the way to being, with the deal they made with the hotel for their apples and the future forecasts on their cattle.  👏

Not the first time it feels the Lord is on our side, is it?”….No Boone, it’s not the first time it feels like that at all;  While I love this outcome for these four, Gary, I know you could have written a story with a far different outcome for their fate at that time of life….pioneering ain’t easy, still isn’t, as land ain’t the only new territory to cross.

What will the end of this story look like?  Will anyone tell Will who Willard is?  😄 🐴  Guess we’ll find out the next time we tune in to “As Larkspur Turns”  🌎

🍻

 

 


 

Lol... I think Will has been brought into the loop about Willard by now. :P Glad you felt the way you did about this one, my friend. The boys do complement each other so well. Coy's exuberance is maybe trying at times, but I don't think Boone would have it any other way. He challenges him in the best of ways. :D 

That kiss from Mitch to Will shows us how different Mitch is from the man who arrived at Red Apple Farm. The fact he would do that shows just how much he feels comfortable with his little family, but more than that, the boys saw him be rather mean to Will, and there is likely a part of him that wants to make up for that. Either way, it was a beautiful thing to do. 

I don't know if the boys will be moguls, but they do appear to have a thriving business with their apples. As well, good quality horses are always in demand, and that demand will continue to grow as the settlements increase and the Civil War draws closer. :unsure: 

For sure i could have written a much different story set in these times, but I wanted the sheriff's story to be one of triumph after incredible adversity. He is a strong character who survived when others would have perished, and I'd like to think that was his destiny... to find Will again. Do you think God reads romance novels? :huh:  :P Thanks for this... another wonderful comment, as always... see you Monday... Cheers! :hug: 

  • Love 5
Link to comment
26 minutes ago, centexhairysub said:

What a wonderful chapter, so full of laughter and love, and a little bit of teasing...  

Coy and Boone are sure in their relationship and Mitch and Will are as well.  In a way, it is good they bought the land next to each other, as this will give cover for them all plus keep nosy parkers on the outside.  

The attention to details and the small tidbits of what is going on makes this story so much more enjoyable.  I love the how you are able to pull nature into the story; but not just that, the description of what is the meal was spot on, could almost smell and taste it myself.  

Amazing as always, just so well written...

Hey, centex! I love writing the banter and teasing... Coy blew out a deep breath. “First I’m a rooster—now I’m a mother hen. I loved that line from Coy. :) 

The land situation worked out rather well, didn't it? Most settlers are looking for the clearest land they can find, and that kept these two other plots available for Mitch and Will. Clearing land is hard... I know that from experience....

I like writing details, but I also hate flowery prose that goes on and on, so I'm always trying to find the right balance. I find it best to mix it with action and dialogue, and I'm so pleased you think it works well. Thank you. I would have enjoyed that stew too... and i would definitely have enjoyed the company of these four men. 

You always leave me feeling like I accomplished something good. Cheers, my friend. Gary. :hug: 

  • Love 3
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..