Jump to content
    Headstall
  • Author
  • 1,236 Words
  • 3,803 Views
  • 60 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2015 - Winter - Blackout Entry

The Light - 1. Chapter 1 The Light

Never give up.

The Light

 

 

He stood in nothingness. Mired. It was an endless void… limbo… and somehow, he knew that. But he was also aware there was a defined path. A direction beckoned, like a pull on his cells, urging him, no, commanding him to obey. He wasn’t supposed to have a choice. He understood that too. Could he accept this new reality? Could he let go? He should be pleased the debilitating pain was gone, yet what it signified was worse, wasn’t it? Yes. His awareness grew, and fed his conviction. He’d be leaving something precious and irreplaceable behind if he took the fated course, the artery he could feel pulsing beneath his feet. Sight wasn’t needed here, though he still possessed functioning eyes, for he could see a light in the distance. It was a heavenly orb that flared gold on the outer edges. The center, though, was the purest white… a revelation that drew him. He had to look away. The power of that light, its beauty and its call, were too strong, too insistent. A siren? A promise? Another chance? He didn’t care. He wasn’t ready. Dammit. He needed time. Was time even a thing anymore? He looked downward, at his feet, but there was nothing to see… only a blackness so impenetrable it distorted the senses. Color couldn’t live here. It only existed in that light, in his ordained destination. No. He couldn’t. He wouldn’t. There was immense pain behind him, he could sense it, and his absence was the reason for it.

A face, an exquisite, tear-stained face appeared before him like a welcome spectre. David. Wondrous, glorious, loving David… truly an angel that walked the earth. His other half, since practically childhood. They shared a soul. He had always been certain of that, and David had reinforced it with his words, words that fell like gems from his lips.

He was David’s light. Leaving him was sentencing David to a slow death that would span years. A lifetime. David felt too deeply, loved too deeply, but oh how amazing to be the recipient of such depths. How could he just leave him behind while he continued forward? What if the light made him forget the love that shone only for him in those soul-stirring blue eyes? His mind rebelled at the thought. All the light he would ever need was in those eyes. He would lay down here, and remain where he could still picture David and the love he emanated, rather than take the chance of never being able to recall that face and that feeling again.

He experienced remorse at ever praying for release from the pain he was tired of enduring. With pain, he had David. Without it, the price was unbearable. He wanted that pain back. He didn’t want to face a future, any future, without his man at his side. Please, God, give me back my pain. He began to pray. He became frantic. How much time had passed? There was no one for David. He was alone. Oh, God. Was the light moving closer? Stay away! I can’t leave him! God, please, don’t take me away. Please don’t make me leave him. He could feel the wetness of his tears in the blackness, and they centered him. The panic he was immersed in, turned to determination.

He could feel it… no, he could picture it… a vine, blacker than coal, wrapped around his ankle. It lead behind him, away from that beautiful, cursed light. He could envision a faint line of red running through the inky tendril. It was there, and it wasn’t. Was it blood? Was it love, David’s love? Was it life? Did it truly exist, or did he just want to believe it did?

He tried to turn around and look back. To verify. He couldn’t. It was not an option. His resolve, his fierce desire, became a rage. It wasn’t fair. God, please. He needs me, and I need him. Don’t do this to us. Please let me go back.

Nothing.

He fought. He wanted no part of that light without David. He struck out at the darkness, the darkness that led to the light, refusing to give in to the pull. It increased, but so did his resistance against it. He might not prevail, but he couldn’t not try. David would wither to an empty shell without him! Savage tears flowed as he battled with every ounce of will he had.

Please, God. If you can hear me. I beg you to let me go back to him. Please. He realized he was sobbing now.

The pulsing beneath his feet stopped. He froze at the difference... the absence of that infernal rhythm that still shot echoes through his body and his mind. What did it mean?

Release. It was sudden. For a heartbeat, he was terrified, and then he doused his fear in love.

He had freedom to move, to turn back. He did, and lunged desperately in the direction the cherished red life-line revealed. It did exist, however barely, and it was showing him the way. He was still in blackness, but he kept going. He didn’t seem to be getting anywhere, and a different kind of fear clawed at him, but he refused to stop. He couldn’t give up. He had to reach his David. The red was brighter, and the brilliant color encouraged him. It pulsed with increasing power. He didn’t just see it, he felt it. Hope flared. Thank you, God. He struggled on, calling on every resource he had, praying it would be enough. Please help me, God.

The vine was thickening to the size of a tree branch, and he would swear he could see bright red liquid moving through it, matching his own desperate speed. He was weakening, and his hope became endangered. He called for help again, while refusing to pay heed to his limitations. Even so, he weakened further, his breakdown imminent, but when he needed it most, a mighty push came from behind, and he fell gently out of the black, and into the astonishing light of the hospital room. He was back to lying in the same bed. He had made it. Filled with an unfathomable joy, he allowed himself to truly believe.

He could once again feel the sublime warmth of David’s hands wrapped tightly around his own. He slowly opened eyes used to perfect darkness, and saw his light once again. Shimmering blue pools were radiating the purest love.

“We have sinus rhythm… a strong pulse, Doctor.”

“Well, I’ll be damned. Somebody up there must like him.”

“You came back.” David’s tear-ravaged face was the most arrestingly precious sight he had ever seen, and he had witnessed ultimate, heavenly beauty… yet, it couldn’t compare to his David.

“Did you doubt me, my love? Nothing can take me from my other half… nothing.” He watched fresh tears slide down David’s face, but he was content, because these were happy ones. He had taken away David’s anguish. It was only then he noticed all his pain was gone, every last speck of it. As he looked into those beautiful, blue lights that illuminated his very soul, he whispered, “Thank you, God… thank you for understanding… and thank you for giving me my David.”

God’s answer lived in David’s adoring smile.

Thank you, Timothy M. for your support.
Copyright © 2015 Headstall; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 34
  • Love 7
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2015 - Winter - Blackout Entry

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Oh. My. Goodness.
What a lovely surprise this was. Such love. Such emotion. I don't know David, but I am so happy for hime after reading this my eyes are wet. Gary, I love your mind and your writing. I swear if I were a guy I would be stalking you, sight unseen baby! :)

  • Like 5
Link to comment

When it comes to true love....

 

never give up!!!

 

Thank you, Gary. That was beautiful. But you didn't mention his name. It makes me wonder...

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Nice, but I don't understand why his pain is gone .. when he thought he was dying it was gone and now that he's back it's still gone?
As a non-believer, I'll say no more, if it's the almighty that's the answer.
But the stuff that came before was well written.
tim

  • Like 4
Link to comment

This was a wonderful story of a love so deep and determined. How lucky is David to be worthy of that. When he came back David was ok. Was David's pain what he was feeling, why his own suddenly went away. I wondered about that too and that's the only thing I came up with.
Beautiful and well told Gary..

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 12/11/2015 05:50 AM, pzetts3 said:

Oh. My. Goodness.

What a lovely surprise this was. Such love. Such emotion. I don't know David, but I am so happy for hime after reading this my eyes are wet. Gary, I love your mind and your writing. I swear if I were a guy I would be stalking you, sight unseen baby! :)

LOL. Thank you, pzetts. What a wonderful review. You say some pretty nice things here. To be honest, I set out to write a poem, and this is what came out instead. I needed more words to do this love justice. I'm so glad you liked it, and the emotion of it. And it wouldn't be the first time a had a stalker :) . A wonderful review, my friend... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 12/11/2015 06:38 AM, dughlas said:

A love worth fighting for ...

A love so strong, he fought the death that claimed him, and got God's attention. Thanks for getting it, and the review, my friend... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 12/11/2015 07:14 AM, bignick said:

When it comes to true love....

 

never give up!!!

 

Thank you, Gary. That was beautiful. But you didn't mention his name. It makes me wonder...

This man fought the against divine strength, and won. Love won, because he refused to give up... it wasn't himself he was worried about... it was David, who could never have handled the separation. Thanks for a great review, buddy... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 12/11/2015 07:15 AM, ColumbusGuy said:

A wonderful story G-Man! David is one very lucky man to have such love in his life.

Thanks, CG. Yes David is lucky, and if we fight hard enough, maybe someone takes note and hears us. Faith and hope are things humans have held onto forever... maybe there's a good reason... thanks for the review, buddy... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 12/11/2015 07:42 AM, Puppilull said:

A beautiful story of love! The ending was intriguing. What happened to his pain?

 

Thank you!

Thank you, Puppilull! In my mind, the narrator prayed to escape his pain, and he did, by dying... he couldn't accept leaving the man who needed him so, so he fought, and he was heard... and in the last second of his fight, he was touched, shoved by the hand of 'God?'. He wasn't punished for fighting his fate... he and the strength of his love were rewarded... he gets to live his life with David, pain free... for me this was about the power of love... that it is the essence of life, and sometimes, even has dominion over death... Thanks for your review... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 12/11/2015 07:48 AM, RolandQ said:

I was struck by the desperation and pace of this chapter. Surely a story in itself complete.

Thank you, Roland. Yes, it was frantic desperation... I'm glad that came through for you... the panic of losing his love and sentencing David to his own slow death. I'd like to think some loves can surpass seemingly insurmountable barriers... this was something different for me... I so appreciate your review, and your thoughts... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 12/11/2015 10:39 AM, Mikiesboy said:

Nice, but I don't understand why his pain is gone .. when he thought he was dying it was gone and now that he's back it's still gone?

As a non-believer, I'll say no more, if it's the almighty that's the answer.

But the stuff that came before was well written.

tim

Thanks Tim. I guess if I have to explain it, it didn't work. I address this question in my reply to Puppilull. He wasn't dying... he was dead. I'm not at all religious, but I carry faith and hope around with me... that is present here... this was about the power of love, and what I'd like to believe it could do. He fights, and 'God' hears him... hears his prayers, and feels the strength of his love for David, and David's for him, and so, answers them... reversing his course, and giving them back each other... being touched by that hand that shoved him back into the light, took away all his pain... a reward for love that made 'God" smile... Sorry it wasn't clear... I really appreciate the candor and you taking the time to read and review... cheers, my friend... Gary...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 12/11/2015 10:56 AM, Defiance19 said:

This was a wonderful story of a love so deep and determined. How lucky is David to be worthy of that. When he came back David was ok. Was David's pain what he was feeling, why his own suddenly went away. I wondered about that too and that's the only thing I came up with.

Beautiful and well told Gary..

Thanks Def. Please read my reply to Puppilull and tim. His pain went away when he died. And yes, he was feeling Daid's pain on the path towards the light. It kept him anchored and fighting. "God' took the narrator's pain away when he returned him to David...a reward for witnessing their love... sorry it was confusing, but I'm glad you liked it anyway... cheers, my friend... Gary...

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Such a beautiful story of love overcoming insurmountable odds. He fought so hard to go back to his life and his love. If only everyone could experience that depth of love in their lives. You had me teary from the first paragraph.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Love truly transcends all... :) Gary, I hope that one day I will find such love.

 

Thank you so much for this story and for your explanations to Puppilull and Tim :hug:

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

His love for David was stronger than the light and it seemed someone else "understood" that and granted a second chance...

 

Riveting tale from start to finish....I could see the desperate struggle very clearly.

 

As always, nicely done Gary. :thumbup:

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Wow...that was intense! You brought tears to my eyes. His love for David not only brought him back from the brink, but apparently healed whatever caused his almost demise. Great story, Gary. With writing like this, it's no surprise you were promoted. ;)

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 12/11/2015 12:21 PM, LitLover said:

Such a beautiful story of love overcoming insurmountable odds. He fought so hard to go back to his life and his love. If only everyone could experience that depth of love in their lives. You had me teary from the first paragraph.

Thanks, Lit. I'm really glad you liked it. I actually made myself cry as well, when I wrote it. This one poured out almost as frantically as the narrator's panic. I started out by wondering if love had any power in death, if there was a anything after... what would 'God' think of this kind of love. It was different for me, but I really enjoyed it. Thanks for the wonderful review, my friend... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 12/11/2015 12:39 PM, Drew Espinosa said:

Love truly transcends all... :) Gary, I hope that one day I will find such love.

 

Thank you so much for this story and for your explanations to Puppilull and Tim :hug:

I hope you do too, Drew. I'm sure you will... you deserve it. I loved being part of the anthology, and I'm glad you were in your first one too. You did good, little buddy. I'd like there are times when a love like this can transcend all. Thanks for the great review, my friend... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 12/11/2015 01:08 PM, Reader1810 said:

His love for David was stronger than the light and it seemed someone else "understood" that and granted a second chance...

 

Riveting tale from start to finish....I could see the desperate struggle very clearly.

 

As always, nicely done Gary. :thumbup:

Thanks Reader! I think he managed to get 'God's' attention with his refusal to take the path... and I'd like to think he recognized the bond that was there, and 'overruled' himself, so to speak. The narrators desperate struggle was the whole tale, so I'm glad you could see it. I really enjoyed doing something different, and I thank you for a terrific review... yes, stronger than the light... cheers, my friend... Gary...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 12/11/2015 01:24 PM, Valkyrie said:

Wow...that was intense! You brought tears to my eyes. His love for David not only brought him back from the brink, but apparently healed whatever caused his almost demise. Great story, Gary. With writing like this, it's no surprise you were promoted. ;)

Awww shucks, ma'am. Thank you Val! Such a nice thing to say. I really enjoyed my first Anthology... your story was terrific... you played with me the whole way... I'm really glad you liked this, Val... it means a lot. Thanks for the great review... and cheers... Gary...

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Well done, Gary. You really captured my attention, and while I might have suspected, you kept me wondering on which way would prevail. It was great to see that, in the end, his bond to David was enough to keep him there.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..