Jump to content
    Jdonley75
  • Author
  • 6,848 Words
  • 2,310 Views
  • 58 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Discovery - 29. Chapter 29

David’s eyes opened in the still darkness of his bedroom. For a moment he was disoriented, being fully awake but the room appearing so dark at the same time he wondered at first if he had just laid down a minute ago, and if he did, then why did he feel so rested? Usually, there would be the soft glow of dawn making its way through the small openings of the curtains covering the windows. On this morning, if indeed it was morning, there was almost no light at all in the room. He glanced to his right, seeing the familiar shape of Colt laying with his back turned to him. The steady in and out of his breath was a comforting sound as David carefully extracted himself from the bed without waking his partner.

Despite the darkness around him, his body and mind felt energized. Even if he wanted to, he knew there was no way he was going to be able to go back to sleep, no matter how old and tired he felt through most days. When he went reaching for some clothes to put on, he noticed the old alarm clock on his dresser showed it was only five o’clock. Over an hour before he was usually up. A small smile lifted his lips. When Kyle was Aaron’s age, this had been the time he used to get up to get his day started. It was either getting up or having a toddler running around the house unsupervised. As time passed, and Kyle was able to get himself up and going, David had allowed himself to get up later and later until now when, in his semi-retired life, he wasn’t getting up until nearly seven.

He put on a loose-fitting pair of jeans and a long-sleeved shirt. Despite being halfway through May, the mornings tended to be rather cool, and he knew if he didn’t at least try to keep warm he was liable to catch hell from Colt or Kyle or both. He didn’t resent their over-protectiveness though. It was just their way of showing their love and concern for him and he appreciated it, even if it did sometimes annoy him to no end. It was one thing to be in his senior years, but something entirely different being treated like an invalid at times.

With careful steps, he made his way down to the darkened kitchen. He turned on the light over the sink out of an abundance of caution against waking anyone up while he made himself a cup of coffee. As he waited for the single cup maker, he thought about the last few months and how different things have been. For a time, he started to worry that Kyle and Jacob were not going to make it through their problems. But, with time and finding the right way to reach out to each other, they came to an understanding. For Matt and Aaron’s sake, he was glad they managed to patch things up.

David continued to stand there in the kitchen after his coffee was ready. Normally, he can sit and listen to the news or have someone else to keep him company. With the hour being so early on this morning, he knew that was not going to be an option. After a few sips from his mug, an unexplained impulse drew him out the back door and onto the porch that looked out over the orchard. Relishing the hot liquid flowing down his throat in the cool Spring air, he was unable to stop himself from smiling as he gazed out into the tangle of branches with their leaves fully grown out from the previous winter. He knew it was going to be a warm day ahead, and he was looking forward to it. Just by looking, he could tell it would only be another month before the trees would start to bloom and the yearly cycle would start all over again.

In the faint, first rays of morning rising behind him, he marveled at his life’s work. Impulsively, he carried his coffee down towards the path that led into the orchard. For forty years, he had worked to rebuild what had been lost. Years of toil and sacrifice but now, he could see this place as it used to be in his youth, if not better. Memories of his grandfather drifted through his mind and the care and love the old man had put into every tree. By the time he was ten years old, David knew everything about his family’s orchard and the effort it took to maintain it. And after his grandfather passed away, David watched helplessly as his own father allowed it all to slowly die. By the time he married and moved back, there were only a handful of trees remaining alive. Helen had counselled him to just sell the house and the land and started a new life. But there were too many memories, and he couldn’t bear to abandon his grandfather’s legacy.

Almost as much as having and raising Kyle, bringing back his grandfather’s orchard and making it bigger and better has been one of his biggest accomplishments. Through years of working second and sometimes third jobs, a divorce and leaving Kyle with Pete and Lisa a lot of evenings after school, he slowly rebuilt his family’s legacy. It had never been easy, but the results were an even bigger orchard than how it started with more varieties and a general calming air about it. He loved this place. As he slowly made his way through, drinking his coffee, he could almost feel the memories around him. Like a blanket wrapped around him, they gave him a sense of comfort and reassurance that he had accomplished his goal and hopefully instilled in his sons the desire to care for it as he did. Looking down where some of the trees were set into orderly rows in some places and small copses, he could almost see two young boys, one with brown hair and another with red, running and laughing through the trees together. Best friends, brought together through a special bond that would be a keystone in the future of both their families and beyond.

David’s mind dwelled on those memories from his youth as he slowly drank his coffee. As he could feel the sun beginning to warm the back of his shoulders, David could also feel that familiar presence that brightened his smile even as it made his heart ache with remembered loss. With his eyes looking over his beloved trees, the words he felt inside him slowly slipped out. “I can still feel you sometimes. When it’s like this. No noise or kids around. I can almost convince myself you’re standing right next to me, enjoying the view. Just like we used to do together. Up on our hill.”

He took a drink, remembering how strong that bond felt and how it still felt. “The boys are doing great. Not that you wouldn’t already know. You’d be proud of him. He’s been through a lot. But, then again, they all have. But… I think they’ve all found their peace. He misses you. Doesn’t mention you much, but I know he does. You’d love your grandkids. Hell, you’d probably be helping them get into no end of trouble. Blake’s gotten old enough now… I see you when I look at him. I get so angry sometimes when I think about you though. How you left just when I needed you most. I know it’s not your fault though. Just pisses me off you promised me you’d always be there for me and then one day you suddenly weren’t.”

Finishing his coffee, David rubbed his eyes as he always must when he remembers that face and that smile. “We all miss you. I loved you more than I could ever tell you. Well… you knew. We both did. I can’t thank you enough for everything you did for me. I hope I’ve repaid it by now.” He allowed himself a few more minutes of silence, willing that familiar presence to stay with him for just a little longer. But he knew it couldn’t last. It never does. He looked to his right, seeing only more trees and not the person he wished had been standing there with him. Still, he smiled and said to no one, “I gotta get inside and wake up the kids. I’ll be back later though.”

Almost reluctantly, David turned and headed back towards the house and the sun rising slowly into the sky. Despite the heaviness of his heart a moment before, he eagerly walked up the ramp to the back door, looking forward to getting the day officially started. Opening the door with fewer cares than he had when he left, he was stopped when he saw his partner leaning up against the counter with a mug in his hand and a mildly displeased look in his eyes. David bit his tongue to keep from laughing as Colt all but glared at him. “Where the fuck have you been,” the former officer asked in that tone that hinted concern and expected an answer.

“I woke up early,” David answered with no lapse in his bright mood. “So, I got some coffee and went for a walk.”

“You could’ve woke me,” Colt countered as his glare softened.

David tilted his head sympathetically, putting a compassionate hand on his face. “Aww… I’m sorry, sweetheart. You want me to wake you up in the middle of the night when I gotta take a piss next time?”

Most of the fire in his eyes died out as Colt made a noise between a growl and a chuckle. “You’re in a mood today, aren’t you?”

David shrugged. “I felt great when I woke up. Kyle and Jacob up yet?”

“Not yet,” Colt replied. “Think they’re still sleeping off the effects of last night. I think you were asleep before the noise started downstairs. Nice to see them getting along, finally.”

David seemed unperturbed. “I knew they would. Talking to Matt about Josh and all helped them both out. Just needed a little nudge in the right direction. I’m gonna go wake the boys up for breakfast.”

Normally, Colt would object, wanting their parents to do the job they’re supposed to do in his eyes. But seeing how David was looking forward to the job, he just shook his head and didn’t put up any resistance. “Don’t make a habit out of it. What do you want me to do in the meantime?”

“Stand there and look pretty,” David replied. He stopped at the doorway to the hall and looked back. “You could start coffee and put a pot of water on to boil for oatmeal for me.”

Colt smirked and turned to get to work as David headed down the hall and effortlessly made his way up the stairs. While it was true that most of the time, David was content to let Kyle and Jacob get the boys up and ready for school, today he was going to invoke his privilege as grandfather to do it himself. Ignoring the usual aches from climbing the stairs, he went to the door to Aaron’s room and quietly opened it. David slowly eased into the room, finding his little grandson still sleeping peacefully on his side with the comforter wrapped around him. He smiled, still amazed and blessed that this wonderful little boy was in his life. With careful steps, David moved to the dresser and got out Aaron’s clothes for the day and sat them on top before moving to the bed. He grinned as he leaned over the sleeping child, gently pulling the blanket off of him. Leaning down, he called out in a soft voice, “it’s time for my little angel to get up.”

A small crease marred the young boy’s forehead before the eyes reluctantly opened. Aaron let out a small sigh and he closed his eyes again. David waited patiently as the little boy stretched while a yawn escaped from his mouth before he could focus on the face above him. When he saw who it was, he smiled brightly. “Good morning, Grandpa,” he said in a tired but happy voice.

“It’s a good morning now that you’re awake,” David replied before leaning down to kiss his cheek. “Ready for breakfast?”

Aaron slowly sat up and sighed again. “Yup.”

“Can you get dressed on your own, or do you need help?”

He slid out of his bed and walked over to the clothes that were laid out. “I can do it.”

David smiled proudly. “That’s because you’re my littlest boy and you’re gonna have a great day today. I’m gonna go get your brother up and then meet you down in the kitchen.”

“Okay.” He began to work his way out of his pajamas and, stopping to rub his eyes, set to the task of putting his clothes on.

David supervised for a moment and helped him fit his head through the collar of the shirt before he stepped out to let him finish on his own, remembering to compliment him later. With that done, he walked to Matthew’s door, wondering if this would be a repeat of history for him. He knocked on the door first before opening it and stepped inside. “Matthew?”

In the morning light, David could see him still laying there with one arm draped over his head. He sighed softly to himself, knowing that waking Aaron was the easy part of the day. “Matt,” he said in a slightly higher volume. “Time to wake up, son.” He moved to the bed and sat on the edge, waiting for a moment for a reaction. When he didn’t get one, he nudged the boy a little. “Matt. Time for breakfast.” A soft groan was his only reply which forced David to bite his tongue to suppress his laughter. “Matt,” he called out sweetly. “Time for little boys to get up and get ready for school.”

A rough grunt was his reply before throwing the blanket over his head. “Not yet,” he grumbled sleepily.

David chucked. Just like his father. “Come on,” he insisted with another nudge. “Get up and I’ll make whatever you want for breakfast.”

There was a moment of silence before the covers were thrown back and Matt focused his bleary eyes on David. “Anything?”

David grinned and reached over to rub his hair. “Pancakes and bacon are possible.”

Matt frowned, still wanting to stay in his warm bed. “Okay, fine,” he grumbled softly.

David chuckled and got to his feet. “Get dressed and do something with your hair before you come down.” He headed to the door, leaving it open to make sure Matt actually got out of bed and returned to the kitchen to set to work.

Colt had just finished brewing a fresh pot of coffee when he saw David return, practically beaming as he moved around the kitchen to get breakfast started. “You really are in a good mood this morning. What’s up?”

“Nothing,” David insisted. “I’m just feeling good today, that’s all.” Colt watched him as he went about the kitchen, gathering pans, eggs, milk and bacon. “I don’t know how else to explain it. I’m just feeling good.”

Colt smirked. “Alright. I can at least help you.”

David grinned at him and leaned over impulsively to kiss him. “I’d be lost without you.”

Colt blinked in surprise. It wasn’t often they were openly affectionate with each other, but it was a pleasant surprise. He wanted to say something, but wasn’t sure how to say it, so he kept it to himself and set to work.

A few minutes later, just as David was getting pancake mix ready and the oatmeal was nearly done, Kyle came in, dressed in his old gym shorts and a tank top, and headed to the coffee maker to get his day started. Once he had the mug in his hands, he took a long drink and sighed before saying, “okay. I think I’m ready to get the boys up.”

“Already done, Baby Boy,” his dad said with a smirk. “Go ahead and take a seat.”

Kyle blinked. “When did they get up?”

“A few minutes ago,” Colt said over his shoulder. “Your dad got them up. Should be down here soon.”

Before Kyle could ask more, they heard the sound of footsteps coming down the stairs and soon after Aaron appeared in the doorway, dressed and smiling brightly. Kyle took one look at him and laughed softly before turning around as he shook his head.

“Aaron…” Colt began as he started to laugh. “Your hair.”

“What?” Aaron looked up at Colt unaware that his dark hair was plastered on one side of his head while the other side was sticking out at various, odd angles.

Colt stepped away from the counter and went to pick him up, grinning as he chuckled. “Your hair is against regs, little man. Let’s go clean this up.”

David chuckled as Colt disappeared with Aaron in his arms. “I guess I should have said something to him about combing his hair.”

Kyle shrugged. “No harm done. Doesn’t hurt that he’s so damn cute. Jacob or I need to get his hair cut this weekend anyway.” He moved over to the stove to help his father. “Big breakfast today. Something up?”

“Well, after I get everyone out the door, I’m gonna go down to the other end of the orchard and inspect the trees there to see how they’re doing.” He flipped a pancake before stirring the oatmeal. “Just a couple hours work, and the weather looks like it’s gonna be nice out today.”

“Sounds like a better day than what I’ll have,” Kyle remarked.

“Oh?”

Kyle shrugged. “We will be going over and likely rehearsing our defense all day to get ready for next week.”

“Want to take a break and we can go grab some lunch together?”

“No,” Kyle smiled slightly. “Appreciate the offer, but we are going to be going over every scrap we have. We’re not just aiming for reasonable doubt. We want to exonerate him. And from the email I got this morning, it sounds like that’s becoming more possible.”

David nodded in approval. “Josh will appreciate that.” He pondered for a second before adding, “I think I’ll give him a call later. Just to check up on him.”

Kyle smirked, shaking his head. He knew David meant well, but he thought his dad was getting ahead of himself. He was sure, in David’s mind, Josh was just going to become another part of the family in a few weeks. While it might sound like a logical outcome, they should remember that he could make any decision he wants after he was acquitted.

If he’s acquitted.

“Hey,” Jacob said as he walked in. “What’s up? Where’re the kids?”

“I got them up already,” David said. “I was up early and decided to beat you to the punch. Matt should be down in a minute and Aaron’s letting Colt fix his hair and they’ll be down.”

“Sounds good,” Jacob replied as he grabbed a bowl. “Is the oatmeal ready?”

Kyle nodded in the direction of the pot. “Have at. You taking the boys to school?”

Jacob leaned over to grab the ladle. “Yeah. Then you can pick them up when you get done with your meeting later at three.” He filled his bowl and headed to the table. “How’s that going for you?”

Kyle moved over to the coffee pot and poured a new mug, adding sugar and cream before taking it to the table and setting it in front of Jacob. “We’re going to go over our plan of attack today. Decide what order we’ll call the witnesses and come up with ideas for the prosecution.”

Jacob took the offered cup as Kyle sat down. “What do you mean? You’re gonna give the prosecution questions to ask?”

Kyle smirked. “No. We’re going to think up some questions they may make and figure out how we want our witnesses to answer.”

David got some eggs cooked up and added bacon to the plate before he set it in front of Kyle. “Like they say, ‘a lawyer doesn’t ask a question he doesn’t already know the answer to.’”

“Exactly,” Kyle said.

“Good morning,” Matt said with a resigned face, still wiping sleep from his eyes.

Kyle smiled and reached out to hug him. “Good morning, sweetie.”

Matt grumbled and sat down heavily in the chair next to him. “I don’t get why we need to keep going to school on the last two weeks.”

David rolled his eyes and sat a plate of pancakes in front of Matthew. “Because you still have learning to do.”

“Like what? We’re just reviewing everything.”

“Like seeing a task through to the end,” David said with a slight emphasis.

Matt’s eyes went to his dads who both looked at him in agreement with his grandfather. He sighed dramatically and started to cut his pancakes. “Fine…”

David chuckled silently and went back to the stove. The sound of footsteps coming down the stairs and Aaron’s high-pitched giggling came through the doorway before Colt walked in carrying Aaron under one arm. He effortlessly turned the child upright and set him in the chair next to his brother saying, “he’s ready to go now.”

“What happened,” Jacob asked as he looked over the boys at the table.

“Bad case of bed head,” Colt answered as he sat down on the other side of Aaron. Soon after, David joined him, placing food in front of them and himself before sitting himself down.

David ate mostly in silence as he listened to the others talk in between bites. Over the last few months, the house had felt like a small battlefield between Kyle and Jacob. Now, after a long period of working through their issues and listening to one another, peace has slowly started to settle in the house once again. For that alone, he figured it was worth ending his winter trip to Florida early. And after months of pushing Kyle to be more of a husband and less of a lawyer and all but strong-arming Jacob to finally face his past and come to terms with it, his boys found a way to not only forgive each other but themselves as well.

The effect of their compromises and long talks was evident in the smiles on Matt and Aaron’s faces and the occasional gaze Kyle and Jacob shared that reminded him of two teenage boys who fell in love twenty years ago. If this had been the biggest test of their marriage, from David’s observations he could safely conclude they had passed it and had grown stronger for it. Hopefully it would be the last time they would stop listening to each other.

Matt interrupted his thoughts. “Grandpa, when I get done with school can we play catch in the orchard for a little bit so I can improve my throwing arm?”

David looked at him and smiled. “If I can get my chores done before then, sure.”

Kyle finished the last of his coffee. “Matt, how about you and I give your grandpa a break and we’ll go out for a while after your homework?”

“Okay.” Matt finishes the last of his pancakes quickly before getting out of his chair and heading down the hall. “I’m gonna grab my bags.”

Jacob checked the time. “Okay. You have plenty of time. Aaron, finish up and let’s go get your stuff.”

Aaron stuffed the last of his breakfast in his mouth and chomped it down before racing after his brother. Colt admonished him to slow down as he got to his feet, picking up the empty plates and carrying them to the sink. David took another moment to watch as Kyle and Jacob finished eating and rose to head back to their rooms to get dressed for the day. After they left, he slowly rose to his feet and joined Colt at the sink. They worked silently to clean up the kitchen as David listened to the sounds of boys getting ready for school and his sons getting themselves together before they all came back into the kitchen.

When Matthew reappeared in the room, David turned and smiled. “All ready,” he asked the young man.

“Think so,” was Matt’s reply before he dutifully stepped up to his grandfather who pulled him into a warm hug.

“Okay then.” David patted his back affectionately before leaning down to kiss the top of his head. “Love you. I’ll see you when you get home.”

“Love you to, Grandpa.” He turned and headed out the door as Jacob and Aaron entered.

David knelt and held his arms out for the little boy who instantly ran into them and hugged him tightly. “Bye, Grandpa. Bye, Colt.”

David smiled, rubbing the little boy’s back, still in awe of the little miracle he held. “Love you, my sweet little boy.”

“Love you too.” The boy’s eyes shined brightly before letting go and following his brother.

David got back to his feet and smiled at Jacob. “Drive carefully.” It was a silly thing to say, he knew, but it was hard to break the paternal habits of a lifetime.

Jacob smirked without any annoyance. “Yeah, yeah. I’ll see you later.”

David nodded. “Okay. I love you.”

Jacob’s smirk widened slightly. “Bye, Dad. See you later, Colt.” He followed the boys out the door, on his way to start his workday.

A few minutes later Kyle reappeared, dressed in his shirt and slacks. He paused for a moment to finish putting on his tie before saying, “okay. I’m off.”

David put a hand on his son’s shoulder to stop him. “One second.” He adjusted Kyle’s tie with a smirk. “How’re you feeling about Josh’s chances?”

Kyle sighed and smiled with cautious optimism. “I have a good theory and the right witnesses to call. We just have to make sure we ask the right questions and get the truth to come out.”

“Well,” David replied, “from what I saw last week, you did a pretty good job defending him against that prick of a lawyer.” He finished setting Kyle’s tie and collar and smiled. “There. You and Jacob all patched up?”

Kyle sighed in exasperation but smiled at his dad’s concern. “Yes, Dad. We’re listening to each other now. From now on, we trust each other to listen and care about each other’s feelings. No more yelling or fighting.”

“Good.” David was already aware of everything that happened between them, but it gave him a measure of relief to hear his son say it. “I just want what’s best for you both. I Love you. I’ll see you when you get home.”

As he looked into his father’s eyes, Kyle felt that same familiar feeling that came with hearing those words. No matter how old he gets, it still makes him feel like a little kid and he will always welcome hearing it. “Thanks, Dad. I’ll be home later.”

David watched as the door closed after Kyle left. Another successful morning getting everyone out the door. He turned to Colt who was leaning against the counter, watching him with a knowing smirk. “So, what’s next,” his partner asked him.

“Time to get to work,” David replied. “I’m gonna go get cleaned up, grab my notebook and then head down to the lower acres to do some inspections on the trees there.”

Colt shrugged as David went past him, heading upstairs. “Fine. I’ll go get the cart. If you got up as early as you say you did, then you’re gonna get tired quick.”

“I doubt that,” David called back as he hurried up the stairs.

Colt rolled his eyes before grabbing the key and heading out the door to go get the electric cart. While he didn’t mind David constantly checking up on his trees, Colt made sure to keep it as stress free as possible. Despite how he always denied it, Colt could see how it would wear him out after a couple hours. With the way David seemed so animated today, Colt would not be surprised to find him asleep in his recliner shortly after dinner tonight.

Once he double checked the power, he pulled it up close to the ramp for David’s convenience. Within a few minutes David came out of the house and down the ramp with his notebook tucked under his arm. “Where to,” Cold asked as David took his seat.

“All the way to the back,” the older man replied. They kept a comfortable silence between them while Colt drove the cart carefully through the orchard towards their destination. It was a quiet corner of the orchard. Most of the trees in this area were relatively new so it was mostly corded off when the orchard was open to visitors. David had plans to make it more available when he felt they were producing at a higher yield. For now, he kept them for mainly making apple sauce and butter. Ten years ago, the area was just a wooded, unused area that he was never able to afford to plant new trees. But over the years, he patiently worked his way through removing the old foliage and putting in new apple trees.

Colt brought the cart to a stop and David hopped out. As he stepped up to the trees, he opened up his notebook, noting the date and where he was. With his wide-brimmed sun hat on his head, he meticulously began to look over the branches and leaves for any sign of trouble. Finding nothing, he moved onto the next one, standing quietly, remembering his grandfather’s words, carefully scanning the tree. A few steps behind him, Colt stood stoically as he watched David. To him, this was all time David could be resting. If there were problems, they could be handled later when they became more apparent. But he knew any arguing would fall on deaf ears. David was set in his ways and had repeatedly explained his reasons when they first started living together.

After a few minutes and David moving from tree to tree, Colt finally spoke up. “So, what are you planning on doing when this whole trial shit is over?”

David didn’t look at him but grinned slightly, knowing what Colt was hinting at but deciding not to take the bait. “What do you mean what am I going to do?”

“Spare me the innocent routine,” Colt muttered with a smirk. “Let’s say best case scenario plays out and Josh is free to go in a couple weeks.”

David pulled out his pen and made a note about the spots on some leaves on the tree in front of him. “Well, he’ll need a place to stay…”

“Uh, huh.” Colt rolled his eyes. “Davey, you can’t baby every lost soul you meet.”

David laughed. “I don’t. Just the ones who need a little helping hand.”

“You sure he’s worth it?”

“He’s Jacob’s brother,” David explained. “That makes him a part of my family. And I don’t turn my back on my family.”

“Or anyone else,” Colt mumbled. David turned to look back to stare at him silently before they both broke into smiles. “Yeah, yeah. Alright.”

David grinned to himself as he moved to the next tree. It had gotten to a point in their relationship when he could tell when Colt was mostly just humoring him or when he was silently agreeing with his decision. This was the latter. He ran his fingers over a few leaves as he spoke. “I was thinking. Maybe remodel that room in the back. Give him some space from the kids so he has some privacy if he wants. Can get a new bed and mattress for him. Go from there as to what else he might need.”

“And what if he decides to just take off on his own the second he’s out of prison?”

David wasn’t too keen on that idea. “I’ll talk to him. I won’t make him come if he really doesn’t want to. But I think it would do him some good. To finally not be alone in the world for once in his life.”

Colt was silent for a few moments as he continued to follow behind his partner. “Well… he could do a whole lot worse.”

“Yeah,” David replied. “He could be a marine corps officer.”

Colt chuckled silently and followed behind him as he went around from one tree to the next, slowly working their way back to the cart. David finished up his notes and climbed into the cart and let Colt take him to the next row of trees. “Can’t we just ride up and down the line,” Colt asked him.

David carefully pulled a leaf off the tree he was looking at. “If I did that, then I couldn’t really see what I was looking for.”

“What are you looking for?”

David shrugged and moved to the next one. “Disease. Any kind of mold or something that just doesn’t look right. I know what I’m looking for.” He put the left into his notebook and scribbled something before moving on. “I remember as a kid watching fire blight run through most of the orchard. I’d rather not have that happen again.”

“What’s that?”

David glanced over his shoulder at him. “An incurable disease. And I’ve had run ins with molds, mildew… Hell, Jacob caught a black rot a few years back. We managed to get rid of the infected trees before they spread it around.”

Colt reappraised his opinion of David’s efforts. “What would’ve happened if it was left unattended?”

“In a year or two there’d be no trees left.”

Colt’s eyebrows raised up in surprise. “All of them?”

David smirked at him. “All of them. Now do you see why this is important?”

Colt nodded. “Alright then, Marine. Another hour or so and then we head back to the house.”

David chuckled silently but didn’t reply. As he moved from tree to tree, taking notes and finding things well in hand, he could almost feel his grandfather behind him, watching David work with that smile of pride on his lips. These weren’t his grandfather’s trees. In fact, only the few trees lining the fence near the house were the only survivors from those bygone days. But it didn’t matter. It was filled with the same memories. The deep connection with his past that ran through the ground and into every root that would eventually become a new harvest that he could share with everyone.

Despite Colt’s insistence, they spent most of the morning out in the orchard. Talking and laughing together. Occasionally David’s hand would find his and they would walk together. They shared their stories, talked about their trips and where they might want to go later in the summer. With the sun’s rays shining down over them, David finally allowed Colt to take him back home. They walked up the ramp and into the house together. David laid his wide sun hat on the table as he went to the fridge to get a drink. “What sounds good for lunch,” he asked Colt as he moved out of the way to let him get a drink.

“I’m not particular,” Colt replied with a shrug.

David thought about it for a second and then smiled. “We could get some of those pepperoni breads from the sub shop in town.”

“Yeah, we could do that.” Colt pondered it for a second. David had been going all morning and he was a little concerned. “How about you rest up a bit and I’ll run and get them?”

“Good,” David agreed. “That’ll give me a second to do a little dusting.”

“Davey,” Colt sighed. “Just relax.”

With a dramatic roll of his eyes, David replied, “fine.”

“Alright then.” Colt grabbed the keys and headed to the door.

David watched him. This man who’d been such an important part of his life in the last few years now. He was as much a part of David’s family as everyone else. “Hey, Colt?”

Colt turned toward David, who was staring at him with this soft look in his eyes like he was seeing him for the first time. “Yeah?”

David stood there quietly for a moment, taking him in. “I love you.” He couldn’t explain why he hadn’t said it more often. It was not something that they kept hidden or denied from each other. It was just such a practiced and easy feeling between each other, it had mostly felt unnecessary to put it into words. But realizing just how much he loved Colt in that moment, after everything they had shared over the years, it felt wrong not to say it out loud.

Colt blinked in surprise at the words that, while he knew how they felt about each other, it was an unexpected and pleasant surprise. He smiled, a little more than he usually did and replied softly, “well, I love you to.”

David continued to stand there, staring at him, feeling like a kid with a crush. “I’ll be here when you get back.”

“I’ll be back in a few minutes.” Colt took one last look at David before heading out the door.

David continued to stand there, thinking about the last few seconds. He really should tell Colt that more often. It just never felt like they needed to remind each other since they’ve spent most of the last five years together and looking forward to even more. He stepped up to one of the drawers and pulled out his dusting cloth and headed down the hall. He didn’t take more than a few steps before he stopped to look at the picture frames on the wall. On the tops of each frame, he could see a slight film of dust that he wiped off with loving care. The frames in the hall were the older ones. When he was younger, he was obsessed with chronicling every moment he could. He was never particular back then either. With as many pictures of Kyle as he had, there were just as many of Andy with Pete or Nathan or Troy.

Pictures of Brian with his quirky smiles and onward down the hall where he had the first picture he ever took of a teenaged Jacob as he stood next to Kyle who was holding up his latest swimming medal. Onward down the hall as the memories and lives of his boys played out into the living room which had seen so many joyous moments. From newborn babies, and endless streams of movies and cartoons along with baseball games and football nights. Onward through time there were boys all grown up with their own families. New life and new challenges to meet. And yet, at the end, there was a small single frame containing a picture older than all of them. Three young teenagers, one older than the other two. Peter, Sam, and himself. If you looked closely, just out of frame at the bottom, it looked as if the two of them were holding hands. David stared long at that picture before wiping the dust off the top of the frame.

This was his life and his home. He had done the best he could. Lost a love when their feelings had been so innocent and fragile that his own fears had shattered that future with dire consequences. He was never able to fully forgive himself for how Travis died, even though he knew it wasn’t his fault. But hopefully, with all the sacrifices he made since then had been enough to make up for his failure. But wasn’t that the point of life, he wondered? To do your best, correct the mistakes you can and make amends when you can’t. While that could be debated, what mattered was that he did the best he could with all his boys, and he couldn’t be prouder of how they turned out. No matter what happened next, he knew they would be prepared to face anything.

He sighed and felt a strong fatigue start to set into him. It was all he could do to take the few steps to his recliner and sit down. Off his feet, he leaned his head back and sighed. Colt was going to give him a serious ribbing if he came home and found David asleep in his recliner. But he didn’t care in that moment. He yawned and let his eyes close, feeling the weight of the memories in this room surrounding him. There was still more to do later, but it could wait. He took a breath and let it out, letting himself relax and give into his fatigue. When it was time, he knew Colt would wake him up.

Copyright © 2023 Jdonley75; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 44
  • Wow 2
  • Fingers Crossed 3
  • Sad 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



4 hours ago, Doha said:

I'm in Nepal, lighting candles and unfurling prayer flags about this. 😊 

That's so sweet.  😘

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..