Jump to content
    Jdonley75
  • Author
  • 6,369 Words
  • 3,414 Views
  • 53 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Discovery - 36. Chapter 36

Kyle Howard sat quietly in the kitchen, reading the newspaper on a thankfully mild July morning. The headline on the front page read, “Ethics committee opening investigation on Sen Goode,” and had been grinning every time he saw it. The last few days had brought much needed rain and cooled things down so that the expected high for the day would be near eighty degrees. Nearly everyone was already up and around the house. He could hear the television in the front room and by the sounds of it, Aaron was in there lying on the couch. All but one of the residents of the house had already had their breakfast and Kyle waited patiently for the last member of his family to be up and moving around.

It had been a busy six weeks since the trial. Aaron and Matt both welcomed their new uncle with open arms and Kyle suspected they helped Josh grow acclimated to his new surroundings. Aaron especially, since Colt left a few weeks ago. While it upset the boy, Colt promised him he would come back, and Kyle knew he would keep that promise once he got his new life settled with his son. They had spoken on the phone a couple times since then and Colt appreciated being kept informed with what was going on at the house.

The sound of heavy footsteps prompted him to look up at the doorway. He grinned slightly as a yawning Jacob entered the room wearing only a pair of shorts.

Jacob stretched his back before dropping into a chair at the table. He looked around the room and said, “I think this is the latest I’ve ever slept.”

“Aww.” Kyle rose from his seat and poured a cup of coffee. He stepped up to Jacob and put the cup on the table before gently straddling Jacob’s lap. “Nine o’ clock and you slept your morning away.”

Jacob looked at him suggestively. “Maybe it’s because someone kept me up most of the night?”

Kyle arched an eyebrow and smirked down at him. “I didn’t hear you complaining last night.”

Jacob grinned and leaned up to kiss Kyle’s lips softly. “Didn’t have anything to complain about.” He took a drink from the coffee next to him and sighed. “Where is everybody else?”

Kyle rose from Jacob’s lap and returned to his seat and picked up the paper again. “Aaron’s in the front room. Matt is somewhere around here, and Josh is where he is every morning.”

Jacob glanced at the front of the paper Kyle left sitting on the table and grinned at the headline. For the last month, Jacob has heard plenty of news about the fallout from Josh’s trial. Reporters have even stopped by the house in the hopes of getting an interview, but Kyle has sent them all away empty handed. They knew it would be quite a while before everything would settle down. Until then, they would do what they had to do to protect Josh.

“What are you reading over there,” Jacob asked before taking a drink of his coffee.

Kyle put the paper down and grinned. “A new local article. ‘Local firm announces partnership with national organization.’”

Jacob lifted his eyebrows. “Who’s that?”

“Monica and Michelle reached out to The Innocence Project to work together in the future.”

“Oh,” Jacob said with a smile. “Sounds like that’ll keep everyone busy. Is there any other news?”

Kyle’s smile took on a more sardonic appearance as he responded. “Dylan is lawyered up to the hilt. His dad has done everything but disown him and there’s talk about him being ‘asked’ to resign his seat. Not that it matters because the AG’s office isn’t gonna let go of him or Ruiz. But the Senator’s goose is cooked since the press got a hold of a certain picture of one of his staffers who was spotted at Josh’s trial. The same one that’s implicated in the conspiracy to obstruct justice.”

Jacob’s smile got wider as Kyle went on. “God damn, that turns me on for some reason.”

“Oh God,” Kyle said with a laugh before feeling Jacob’s arms pull him close so they could share a passionate kiss.

Kyle’s smile didn’t diminish though he got a little serious as their lips parted. “He wants to talk to you about something.”

Jacob looked at Kyle curiously. “Something bad or something good?”

He rose from Jacob’s lap and retook his own seat at the table. “I’ll let you decide that.”

With a smirk, Jacob asked, “do you know what it is he wants?”

“Yes,” Kyle confirmed. “But I think it’s best if you hear it from him first.”

Jacob sat there for a moment, wondering what could be so important and then realized there was only one way to find out. “Okay then.” He rose from his chair and headed out the back door, carrying his coffee mug with him. The summer sun warmed his skin as he made his way down the ramp and down the trail that led into the orchard. He didn’t need to stop and wonder which direction to go. It has been the same place every morning for the last six weeks. Down the sloping expanse of the orchard where the sun’s rays filtered through the trees, Jacob enjoyed the feel of the moist grass on his bare feet. Within a few minutes of walking, he saw a figure in shorts and a tee shirt sitting with his legs crossed, leaning back against a Honeycrisp tree.

Out of habit, Jacob looked over the growing apples on the branches and was pleased to see everything was as it should be. Josh had his eyes closed and his face tilted up towards the sky. Jacob smiled and sipped his coffee and waited for Josh to open his eyes. When he finally did, Josh turned his head to meet Jacob’s gaze and smiled. “Jake. Did you just get up?”

He still found it odd hearing Josh call him by that name did not elicit the same hostility it once did years ago. “A few minutes ago,” Jacob replied. “How’s your morning been?”

“Good.” Josh had not left the property since they arrived the day his trial ended. It was not that he was afraid of the rest of the world. Rather, he had come to love this quiet place. He had never lived outside of a city and so never really had the opportunity to appreciate the tranquility in this place. It was a bit jarring after getting used to hearing the sounds of the city around him, or the sounds of the prison to lull him to sleep. But now, it was the chirps of insects and the only lights outside being the moon and stars. He was still resisting Kyle and Jacob’s hints he should go to therapy, but they were being supportive and letting him find his own way. Out in the orchard, he felt more at peace than he could remember.

Jacob nodded slowly and leaned closer to him. “Kyle said you wanted to talk to me about something?”

“Yeah.” Josh stretched out his legs and relaxed against the tree he was under. “I was thinking about making a personal change, but I felt like I should ask you for permission first.”

Jacob frowned and leaned back next to him. “If it’s something you want to do, you don’t need my permission.”

“Well, this is something that could affect you.” Josh paused for a moment before he explained. “I asked Kyle how hard it would be to get my name legally changed.”

“Oh?”

“He said it was no big deal and he could get it done in no time.”

Jacob sighed and let his eyes gaze out over the orchard. “Okay. But what does this have to do with me?” Josh turned to look at him with an almost apologetic expression. When their eyes met, Jacob realized what he was leaving out. “Oh. You want to change your last name to… Eaton?”

Josh shrugged. “It’s really more like changing it back. But, given your history with our dad and all, I didn’t want to do something that would make you uncomfortable.”

Jacob chuckled softly. “I’m fine with it. You could change it to Howard to, if you wanted.”

Josh shook his head. “Naw. I thought about it for a second but then I realized it would feel a little weird. Like we were both married to Kyle or something. No offense, but I’m still hoping someday to find a girlfriend when I’m ready.”

With a chuckle, Jacob playfully nudged him. “Well, good because he’s all mine. Speaking of, I should get back and maybe think about putting clothes on.”

“Wouldn’t hurt. You make me feel like a skinny kid when I stand next to you as it is.”

Jacob got back to his feet, being careful not to spill the remnants of his coffee. “Just remember, we’ll be having a whole pack of people here today. If you get overwhelmed, you know you can say something at any time.”

Josh rose to join him. “Actually, I’m kind of looking forward to it. And I know most of the people coming anyway.”

“Great.” Jacob’s smile became more subdued as he thought about their plans for the day. It had been something they admittedly put off longer than they should have. But it needed to be done and today was the best day to do it. They informed the others about the party and that it was “family only” for today. He broke himself out of his train of thought and looked at Josh as they headed back up the path that led to the house. Jacob noticed his hair had grown and wondered how long he would let it get before doing something about it. “Are you excited about going to California in a few weeks?”

Josh cringed slightly at the reminder. “Do I really have to go?”

Jacob nodded slowly. “Yes. You’re too new here and we don’t want you to feel overwhelmed or lonely after what you’ve been through. Besides, you might like it. We’ll be staying in a guest house owned by Kyle’s mom. Trust me, you’ll have a good time. She’ll make sure of it.”

“I guess I’ll just have to make the best of it.”

He grinned and patted Josh’s back sympathetically. “I promise you’ll have fun. I remember feeling like I was walking on eggshells for the first time myself. Helen will go out of her way to make you feel at home. Only… you know… she’s rich and all.”

Josh snorted. “And you’re not?”

Jacob sighed in exasperation. They’d been through this conversation already. “We are well off. Most of the wealth is embedded in the orchard and the house. Yeah, we have more money than most but it’s not something we flaunt or abuse. Kyle and I both had to work hard for what we have, and we plan on making sure our boys grow up the same way as we did.”

“If you say so,” Josh glanced at him with a smirk. “Are we doing the other thing today too?”

Jacob nodded. “All the little stuff has already been moved. Troy and Andy should be here in a couple hours and we’ll start breaking down the furniture and moving it, so we’ll need every hand available to move it all. Well, the bedroom furniture at least. The rest will have to stay. Sorry about that.”

“It’s fine,” Josh assured him. “Not sure what I’ll do with all that space.”

Jacob sighed and a tinge of sadness clouded his eyes. “It’ll be weird for all of us at first. Kyle and I moving upstairs to Dad’s bedroom and you down in ours. But it’s for the best.”

As they neared the house, they saw Matt sitting by himself on the patio facing the orchard. When they got closer, the young boy waved and rose from his seat to meet them as they neared the ramp. “Hey, Dad. Hey, Uncle Josh.”

“Hey,” Jacob said as his smile brightened. He hugged the boy by the shoulders and asked, “what have you been up to this morning?”

“Oh, nothin’,” he replied. “Just texting Carter and Blake.” He gave Jacob an inquisitive look. “They said they’re not coming over until late?”

“We’ll be eating outside, so we’re eating later than usual,” Jacob told him. “So, make sure you eat your fill during lunch.”

“M’kay.” Matt looked up at Josh. “You wanna try some more ‘Elder Scrolls?’”

Jacob hid a smirk behind his hand as Josh replied, “well… I guess.”

“Come on,” Matt insisted as he took Josh’s hand. “It’ll be fun.”

“Hey,” Jacob called out as he followed behind. “Don’t forget I’ll need you two later to start moving furniture.”

“Okay, Dad,” Matt called as he pulled Josh inside with him.

Jacob was not surprised to find the kitchen empty as he moved to the back of the house and through the open door to his shared bedroom area. He looked around the sitting room and noted the absence of most of their personal items. Pictures were gone from the tables and walls. The bookshelves were mostly empty and the empty desk that Kyle used to use sat vacant of any of his personal effects. Jacob’s drawing desk was gone, having been relocated to the study. He sighed softly and stepped into the bedroom which was mostly bare as well with the exception of the bed and their dresser. So many changes were taking place in the house.

Kyle emerged from their walk-in closet with a dozen pairs of pants on hangers clutched in his hands. He stopped when he saw Jacob and the melancholy look in his eyes. “Having second thoughts, sweetheart?”

Jacob sighed and smiled slightly. “No. It’s for the best in the long run. But moving that bed is going to be a bitch.”

With a playful smirk, Kyle said, “well, blame the asshole who built it.”

“Yeah,” he replied with a chuckle. “That guy is a total dick.”

Kyle grinned and walked up to him, giving him a loving kiss. “So, how did it go?”

“He told me what he wanted.”

“And what did you say?”

Jacob shrugged. “I said I’m fine with it.”

Giving him with a dubious smirk, Kyle asked, “did you mean it?”

Thinking the conversation over again, he replied, “Yeah. Yeah, I actually am.” He felt a bit surprised that deep down he really was okay with the idea of having that name back in his life. “I think it’s a good thing. It’ll keep both of our dads around in a way. I want to believe we’ve broken the cycle of addiction and abuse. We’ll just have to see how that plays out. But, for the most part, I’ve forgiven dad for how things happened. And I’ve learned to forgive myself.”

Kyle could tell he meant every word he said. In his mind flashed images of that sexy teenager he used to pick up on his way to school. The shy smiles. The determined man who didn’t let his anger and addiction stop him from pursuing the happiness he had lost. The blue eyes that stared into his as he slipped a ring on his finger. The quiet moments. The intimacy of quiet nights alone with each other. All of those moments, all blended into the husband he was today. He may have a few more wrinkles and maybe Kyle could see a few gray hairs mixed into the black, but in his eyes, Jacob was still the most beautiful man in the world. “I’m really happy for you.”

“Thank you,” Jacob replied.

“Now.” Turning to the more mundane things at hand, Kyle asked him, “are you going to help me move our stuff upstairs or just stand there and look pretty?”

“Well, if given a choice…”

Kyle put the clothes on Jacob’s arms and walked back to the closet. “Get a move on. We need to get this done before lunch.”

Jacob chuckled and headed out of the room with the clothes, knowing there was more to do before the day was over.

 

****

 

The sun was on its slow descent towards the horizon while Kyle and the others sat around the old picnic tables, reminiscing, chatting and finishing up what little was left of the food that had been prepared for the day. There was laughter in the air as a cool breeze lifted the heat of the day away from the area around the house. Everything had worked out almost perfectly and everyone was thankful for the wonderful day to be together.

“Well, I’d say it’s pretty good odds, if you ask me,” Jacob said quietly as he sat between Andy and Troy.

Andy’s lips tugged down slightly, seemingly unconvinced. “It’s not like I haven’t already told him over and over.”

“Same here,” Troy added.

Jacob smirked and shook his head. “Doesn’t mean anything. All I’m telling you is what I saw the other day when I took the two of them to the gym with me and Josh.”

Andy let out a frustrated sigh. “I think you’re reading too much into it.”

“Jacob, I told Chase a million times that if he was gay, he could tell me,” Troy continued. “I think you’re imagining things.”

“Oh?” Jacob tilted his head slightly towards the far end of the clearing where the boys were sharing a couple tables. “Who do they remind you of?”

Troy’s gaze followed where Jacob indicated and saw Chase and Tanner talking and laughing quietly with Matt, Aaron, Carter and Sean. Barely perceptible because of how they were seated, Tanner appeared to have his arm around Chase’s waist as the two of them were smiling and talking with the others. He sighed and turned back to Jacob. “So, tell me again, what did you see exactly?”

“I was walking into the locker room and turned the corner and suddenly they kinda jumped away from each other, but I could swear I just interrupted a kiss.”

Andy rolled his eyes. “Not that I want this getting around because I want to keep a good reputation in this town, but it’s not like I haven’t kissed you or Troy or Kyle for that matter and it’s not like I’m fucking any of you.”

Jacob shot him a derisive look. “Okay. But put it in perspective. If it was just an innocent kiss and knowing that I kiss Kyle morning, noon and night, why would me walking in on them weird them out?”

Troy and Andy thought about it silently and each came to the same uncomfortable conclusion. Tyler was just coming up to join them at that moment and saw the looks on their faces. “What’s going on? Bad news?”

“Not exactly,” Andy replied before he got an idea. “Hey, Ty? What do you think about Tanner and Chase?”

Tyler looked at him curiously. “What do you mean?”

“He means, what do you think about their friendship,” Troy asked.

“Friendship?!” Tyler giggled. “I’d call it more than just a friendship.”

Jacob grinned as Andy’s mouth opened in surprise. “What do you mean?”

Tyler leaned closer to them and said quietly, “I mean they make a cute couple; don’t you think?”

Troy looked at Andy in stunned amazement. “They’ve been playing us this whole time?!”

Andy shook his head and sighed. “We’re gonna have to keep them on short leashes.” He rose from the bench he was sitting on and motioned. “Come on. Let’s go cock-block them.” Troy joined him and the two headed over to check on their sons.

Tyler and Jacob watched them walk away for a moment before Jacob asked him quietly, “what did they offer you?”

“Hm? Oh, nothing,” Tyler answered. “The fun of screwing with Andy and Troy was payment enough. What did they offer you?”

“Three weeks of tree inspection and spraying fungicide.” He smirked slightly as he watched Troy and Andy insert themselves between the two very amused boys. “So, do you think they really are?”

Tyler shrugged. “From everything I can tell, Chase is as straight as a board. Tanner… not so much.”

Jacob nodded in confirmation. “Yup. Pretty much. Andy’s gonna have his hands full with that one.”

“He looks just like Andy,” Tyler said with a smirk. “If I was thirteen, I doubt there’s not much he couldn’t talk me into.”

“You two shouldn’t screw with Andy and Troy like that,” Kyle said as he came up behind them.

“It’s not us screwing with them,” Jacob insisted. “It’s Tanner and Chase. We’re just playing along.” He shrugged and added, “you know. Just for fun.”

Kyle chuckled silently as he sat down on the other side of Tyler. “Okay then.” He put his arm around Tyler’s shoulders and pulled him closer with a smile. “I’m really glad you could make it today.”

“Well, tomorrow is your anniversary,” Tyler pointed out. “That was a pretty important day for me as much as it was for the two of you.”

Jacob grinned and moved closer to Tyler’s other side, giving him an affectionate kiss on the cheek. “We know. We still appreciate it all the same. So, what’s the word on the job search?”

Tyler grinned. “I’m going to be taking a job with a talent agency in LA as an on-call spokesperson for whoever they need me for. It’s kind of entry level stuff, but it’s a start.”

Kyle nodded. “Sounds good. And, you never know. Get with the right person and impress them enough—”

“Which shouldn’t be too hard for you,” Jacob interjected.

“—and you could find yourself with an even bigger job.”

Tanner was sitting next to his dad, giving him a disgusted look before saying, “Ew!”

Andy stared at him, unconvinced by his son’s performance. “Don’t pretend.”

“Uncle Andy,” Chase began.

Troy was quick to cut him off. “Don’t even try it, boy.”

Sean was looking at the two fathers, completely confused. “Guys, they’re just screwing with you.”

Andy turned to stare at Sean. “Did they somehow rope you into this too?”

Tanner bit his lip to keep himself from laughing as Sean, unused to his hijinks, was unable to stop himself from cracking a smile. “It wasn’t me; I swear. It was Ty.”

Troy groaned and looked from Chase to Tanner and back before both teenagers broke into fits of laughter. “Paybacks, boys. Remember that.” He got back up and rolled his eyes as he stalked away.

Andy frowned darkly at his son before getting to his feet. “One of these days…. I’m gonna tell every embarrassing story I can about you to whoever you bring home.” He followed Troy to grab another drink and wondered to himself how his son had managed to fool him once and Troy twice in a year. “We have to be getting fucking old to fall for that shit.”

“Not another word,” Troy grumbled.

While the two of them continued to giggle, Sean turned to Matt and Carter and asked them, “are you excited about starting sixth grade in the fall? That’s junior high here, isn’t it.”

Carter grinned and nodded. “Yeah! It’s gonna be so cool.”

Matt seemed less enthusiastic. “Just as long as we don’t get picked on by the older kids.”

Tanner heard that and sobered up a little. “No one’s going to pick on you.”

Chase agreed, looking at Matt blithely. “Yeah, you’ll be fine.”

“How can you be so sure,” Matt asked them.

Tanner shrugged and said, “because if anyone decides to pick on you or Carter or Blake then they’ll have to mess with me.”

“And me,” Chase added.

Matt hadn’t taken into account the idea that Tanner or Chase would defend them for some reason. “I’m glad we’re friends then.”

Chase and Tanner exchanged indignant looks. “We’re not your friends,” Chase told him.

Chagrined, Matt simple said, “oh.”

Tanner smirked and leaned towards him. “We’re your family.”

Emily, Liz and Brian walked up to where Kyle and Jacob were still seated. “Are we about ready,” Liz asked.

Kyle looked at the sun that was nearly setting and sighed. “Close. Where is everybody else?”

“In the house,” Brian answered.

Kyle wasn’t too surprised. “Okay. I want everyone out here for this.”

Brian took Emily’s hand and smirked. “Let’s go get the slow pokes out here so your uncle Kyle can do his thing.”

Kyle looked over at Jacob who met his gaze with a small smile and a nod. Together, the two rose and stepped towards the small, empty table off to the side that everyone had seen but had not approached. On the table, with two empty chairs that no one had sat in, rested three items. Two bronze urns, one with the letters, “T.K.M.” etched on the base and another, newer looking urn with the letters “D.W.H.” on its base. Between the two urns, sat a picture of two men in marine fatigues from another time, with their arms around each other’s shoulders, smiling brightly for the camera.

Kyle stood next to the table with Jacob as he watched Brian and Emily emerge from the house, followed by Blake, Josh, Sam, Nathan and Stephanie who were guiding Melinda’s steps slowly down to join the others who had also rose to their feet and gone silent as all eyes turned to the two men, waiting.

Whether they were aware of it or not, the group slowly moved closer together as they all looked at the contents of the table. Kyle looked at them all and smiled gently before he began to speak. “I want to thank all of you for being here today. It means a lot to me and to Jacob.” He paused and swallowed hard before adding, “and I know it means a lot to him too.

“There’s been a lot of changes here lately. We have a new family member joining us, in Joshua. I know Dad is resting easier knowing he’s here and not out there somewhere alone. As hard it might be for you to believe, Josh, he loved you. And he wanted to help you through this sudden change in your life. I only hope I can do as good of a job as he would have.”

His smile brightened slightly as Jacob put a hand on his shoulder and the sun’s rays warmed his back as he continued. “I just want to make sure that through all of these changes we’re all going through, there are some things that you all know will never change. Remember that he loved each and every one of you. All of you are what put the smile on his face every day. You filled him with pride and love with everything you did. You gave him some of his happiest moments in his life and I know for a fact that he treasured every moment he shared with all of you, no matter how many or how few they may have been.

“But most important of all that you should remember… what he would tell you himself if he was here, is that no matter what… no matter what happens in your life, or how old you get or how far away your life may take you, this will always be your home. This will always be the one place where you will always be welcome and always find comfort when you can’t find it anywhere else. If you’re in need of help, or if you need someone to care for you and love you, this is where you go. The door here will always be open for you. And we will be here, as a family, to take care of one another. It’s what he would have done, it’s what he hoped and expected of us and it’s how it should be. We are one family. It doesn’t matter what your last name is or how you came here. You’re one of us. And we will always be here if you need us.”

Seeing all of their faces looking at him with sadness, love and hope in their eyes told Kyle that he accomplished what he had wanted to do for the day. He cleared his throat to mask the heaviness in his heart before he spoke again. “Troy? Andy? Brian? We have one last thing we need to do for our dad.” He and Jacob picked up the two urns and the five of them slowly walked towards the entrance to the orchard.

A gentle breeze seemed to greet them as they solemnly made their way along the paths. Each step contained memories for each of them. Good memories of younger days when three boys no older than five, who constantly chased each other around and climbing up in places where they shouldn’t, but always stuck together and formed a friendship that defined their entire lives. Four boys who played games and extended that bond into their high school years where friendship turned into something more. High school memories, where a sullen, dark-haired boy who never expected to know love, found it and more dancing under an apple tree.

Sadder, more poignant memories of a time when a boy lost his mother and felt left behind only to discover that he had more than one father to turn to when he was in need. Of a marine who believed he could not fight his own demons anymore and discovered he would not have to fight them alone. Two men, who had once been boys, thinking the love between them had been lost only to find it hiding here beneath the trees, waiting to be found once more.

Onward the five of them walked until they came to a new addition to the orchard. In a seldom visited portion along the border of the orchard sat a marble plaque that sat on the ground next to a large hole. The simple inscription of the plaque read, “here lies Travis Masterson and David Howard. Together always and forever.”

Kyle and Jacob had spent weeks finding the right spot for their father’s final resting place. They wanted it to be present but also not where everyone would go. Not visible from the house but not difficult to get to either. Something for people to discover for themselves with enough room for anyone to leave anything behind if they wished. They intended the trees around it to keep it shaded and not allow visitors to pick any of the apples from this place. The signs would be posted to let people be respectful but also to sit and enjoy the quiet space for themselves. Later, Jacob planned to add a bigger stone with an etching of David’s face to match what buyers would see on the jars of apple butter they would eventually start producing in the coming fall.

With a meaningful look to the others, Kyle knelt near the hole in the ground and carefully placed David’s ashes into the space. As he rose, Jacob took his place and placed Travis’s ashes next to David’s. Once that was complete, all five of them donned thick leather gloves. With no words exchanged between them, they worked together to lift the heavy marble stone and gently placed it over the hole to cover it. While it had not been spoken openly, Jacob and Kyle both knew that when their time came, this is where they would end up as well.

A sigh and a smile from Kyle brought everyone else out of their inner thoughts. As he looked from one to another, he could see where a tear had fallen, or the memory of their loss suddenly weighed heavier than it had moments before. “I know I don’t need to say it,” he began softly. “But thank you. Thank you for being my friend. My family. My brothers. More so than the others, he loved you more than anything else in the world. Every accomplishment you achieved, every heartbreak or loss, he was there with you through all of it. And he’ll still be here for all of you.”

Troy said nothing. Moving to Kyle, he embraced him tightly and kissed his cheek before giving Jacob the same. Finished, he turned and started heading back to the house.

Andy smiled as he approached Kyle and hugged him warmly. “He’ll be with us always, just like he promised,” he said softly before kissing him on the cheek. He gave Jacob the same warm hug, then turned to look at the plaque on the ground one last time before following Troy back to the house.

Brian looked at the two of them with new tears in his eyes and a bright smile. “You know what to do if you need me.” He gave Jacob a hug and a kiss before grinning at Kyle and hugging him tightly. “It sucks that he didn’t let us at least say goodbye.”

Kyle chuckled and nodded. “Because we’ll see him again someday. So, it’s never really ‘goodbye.’”

Brian let go of him and wiped his eyes. “I guess so. But I’ll be having words with him first thing when I see him again.” He turned and left Kyle and Jacob alone as they watched him disappear the way they came.

With a long, drawn-out sigh, Kyle moved to stand in front of the marker and looked down at his feet. So many changes had happened in a year, and he was sure there would be more to come. Decisions to be made while watching his boys grow with each passing day. Eventually, they would go off on their own paths and start new families and create new memories. He wanted to believe that his father would be watching it all unfold with that proud grin on his face the entire time.

Jacob came up behind him and wrapped his arms lovingly around Kyle’s waist. “Happy anniversary, my love,” he said softly before kissing Kyle’s neck. Kyle smiled as he kept his eyes on the ground in front of them. “What are you thinking?”

Kyle laid his head back against Jacob’s shoulder and put his hands over Jacob’s arms. “I’m thinking about what comes next. We’re giving Josh our old rooms, so he has something close to privacy in the house while you and I take up residence in the master bedroom. I’m going to stop being a fulltime lawyer and become a fulltime farmer because I can’t bear the idea of someone else doing it. I’m thinking before we know it, Matt is going to be off to college and Aaron will be fast on his heels.”

“So, nothing all that important then,” Jacob quipped dryly.

“Pretty much,” Kyle replied with a soft laugh.

“Kyle, no matter what, we can’t stop time. We just have to do the best we can. Just like Dad did. That’s all any of us can do. The real question on my mind is are you happy with the choices you’re making.”

With a shake of his head he said, “that’s not an issue. I’m tired of it all. I loved being a lawyer and I’ll keep doing the small things that need to get done. But really, all I want is to just settle down, take care of our boys and live pretty boring lives.”

Jacob grinned. “No more drama, huh? Just go from day to day, plodding along?”

“With all the excitement we’ve been through, you would think we earned it.”

“Yeah, maybe,” Jacob quietly agreed. He kept his hold on Kyle, loathe to end this single perfect moment that belonged only to them. “But then I remember in a few years, we’re going to be knee deep in teenagers. There’s going to be some drama then when all the hormones go out of control all over the place.”

Kyle nodded. “And having to talk to Aaron about why he probably won’t be able to do some things like everyone else.”

Jacob grinned. “God forbid Matt come home six months into college to tell us he got some girl pregnant.”

For some odd reason, the idea of that happening caused Kyle to giggle. “Oh my God. I hope I’m there when I see your reaction.”

“Me?! Why me?”

He twisted around in Jacob’s arms and looked into his beautiful blue eyes. “Because you will flip.”

“I will not,” Jacob insisted. “Much,” he added after a moment of thinking it over.

They stared into each other’s eyes before they shared a laugh which eased the remaining ache in their hearts. Jacob eventually let him go and they joined hands as they slowly started back towards the house and the celebration of one man’s life that linked them all together.

With each step, Kyle felt the grief and sadness leaving him. Letting go of the past mistakes, the fights, the years they spent apart, he chose to live in this moment with his husband and his best friend. He squeezed Jacob’s hand in his and felt the sentiment returned as they glanced at each other. This was their life now. This was their orchard now, and the responsibility was firmly on their shoulders. And yet, despite how he thought he should feel, Kyle realized he was not afraid. All his life, Kyle had gone from one fear to another. From panic to relief to panic again. But now, he felt calm and at peace. He looked at Jacob again and knew that he was Kyle’s source of strength. So long as they were together, he had nothing to fear.

“Well, whatever happens,” Jacob said quietly. “No matter what bad news we get or what challenges are around the corner, I know we will make it through whatever comes our way.”

Kyle looked at him and smiled. “Then let’s go see what happens next.”

Holding hands as the sun set behind them, Kyle and Jacob walked unencumbered into the next phase of their life. Unsure of what they may find, but secure in the knowledge that their love would see them through whatever may come their way.

Copyright © 2023 Jdonley75; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 62
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments




View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..