Jump to content
    Jdonley75
  • Author
  • 6,971 Words
  • 1,871 Views
  • 21 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Discovery - 8. Chapter 8

Tanner’s arms were starting to feel sore, but he kept his focus on the task ahead of him. Or rather, above him.

“Come on, Tanner, you can do it.”

His eye flicked to his dad’s face above him as he tightened his grip on the bar and lifted it again. There was a slight tremor in his arms, but he ignored it as he slowly pushed the bar up, maintaining his breathing through the entire lift and then down. He managed one more lift and then eased it back down as carefully as he could before he sat up. “There. How’s that?”

Jacob stood on the other side from Andy and smirked. “Not bad. Did it better than I did at your age.”

“Don’t give him any ideas,” Andy warned with a smirk.

Tanner’s eyes sparkled brightly as he looked up at his dad and grinned. “What’s next?”

“Now, you cool down,” Andy stated. “You don’t push yourself too much at your age. Take a break. Go walk around the track a couple times. Don’t run.”

“Aww,” Tanner looked from his dad to Jacob, hoping to see him disagree. This was the third week he had been working out with Jacob and his dad. Jacob has insisted he start light since Tanner had never worked with much exercise equipment and he needed to get used to the techniques and not overwork himself and risk serious injury. As eager as he was, Jacob knew is was best to ease him into routines and keep an eye on him until Tanner seemed to be able to handle them on his own.

Jacob shook his head. “No running. Go on. I need to help your dad with his set.”

The boy rose to his feet with a sigh. “Fine. Coach says I need to maintain my weight.”

Andy rolled his eyes. He knew for a fact Tanner’s weight was fine and there were no issues other than he needed to stay fit. “Go on. I don’t want to be embarrassed in front of you.”

“You make it sound like it would be the first time,” Tanner called back cheekily as he headed down the hallway.

Jacob chuckled silently as Tanner left to head to the indoor track. “He is so you sometimes.”

“He’s his own person,” Andy replied with a hint of a smirk on his lips and obvious pride in his eyes. He sighed as Jacob put a hand on his shoulder and lead him across the weight room to the leg press machine. “You’re going to enjoy this, aren’t you?”

“Oh, don’t be like that,” Jacob playfully admonished as he set up the weights on the machine. “You’re not limping anymore. We just need to get your muscle strength back up.”

Andy grumbled under his breath but got into position and waited for Jacob to finish. “I’m fine.” He took a few breaths before he started his routine, grimacing slightly as he felt his injured leg shake from the strain.

Jacob stood by silently watching his friend as he slowly did ten reps. “Okay,” he said before Andy went for more. “Want me to take a couple pounds off?”

While their main objective was to help Tanner learn how to properly lift weights, Jacob had also told Andy that he wanted to help him with his recovery. His leg had healed, and the doctors had said he was cleared for normal activities, but Andy mentioned it still didn’t feel like it used to be. Andy was hoping to get back to where he was before his accident. Jacob, of course, was more than happy to help him out. “I think it’s more of a mind over matter thing,” Andy replied. “I’m holding back because there’s a little voice in my head convinced if I put too much effort into it, my leg is gonna snap like a twig.”

Jacob knelt and began to adjust the machine. “Then we’ll lower the weight and slowly add more with each set to convince the little voice in your head to shut the hell up.”

Andy chuckled silently and waited for him to finish before starting again. Finding it much easier, he settled into a steady rhythm. “Yeah. This is easy.”

Jacob nodded. “I dropped it by about fifty. I’ll add more in a minute.”

Andy finished a set, waiting for Jacob to readjust before starting in again. “So,” he began quietly, “I hear you and Kyle struck out in court.”

Jacob kept a stoic face while internally wishing that topic would stop coming up. “Yup.”

“I’m sorry it didn’t work out,” Andy offered.

Jacob frowned. “Nothing to be sorry about. It’s over now.”

Andy gave him a look of curious concern. “Just like that? You not at all interested in finding out more about this brother of yours?”

Jacob’s eyes went to the floor before Andy finished his set. “Not really.”

Andy observed him as he knelt and adjusted the weights on the machine again. Jacob’s attitude seemed a little familiar. “I wouldn’t give up, if I were you. He probably doesn’t even know you exist.”

Jacob shrugged as if he was unconcerned. “I’ve gone this long without him. Wouldn’t change anything.”

Andy watched him as Jacob seemed to be doing his best to sound nonchalant. “Your dad never once mentioned having another kid the whole time you were with him?”

Jacob looked around the room as he clenched his jaw. “No.”

“I see.” That wasn’t all Andy saw. Given all the years he spent dealing with his own inner demons it was not difficult to see his friend was dealing with a few of his own. He took a moment to brace himself for his next set and slowly worked his legs to lift the increased weight. “Jacob… When you went to your therapist, did you ever talk to him about your dad?”

“A little. Why?” Even as Jacob spoke his mind drifted to his memories as a kid. The happier times when he was younger, and he didn’t see his dad with a drink in his hand. The times they were happy together.

If he thought about it, he could remember what his dad’s touch felt like. How warm it made him feel when he sat in his father’s lap and watched a movie or a television show. The occasional spontaneous tickle. An old memory, hidden away for decades, suddenly came to him. Watching a movie late at night with all the lights off and they were under a blanket to stay warm. Joe had suddenly surprised him by tickling his sides which caused a burst of laughter to erupt from him as he tried to twist away. It would end as always with Joe hugging him close and kissing the top of his head.

Where had that person gone to, he wondered? What had changed so badly at a certain point in their lives that that same person who Jacob had previously never questioned or feared suddenly turned into a totally different person? What had he not seen? Even now, Jacob could never be completely certain his father’s turn towards alcohol wasn’t predicated by something he had done. Shame and Guilt are frequent companions to those who were abused.

The first time his father hit him was still a vivid memory in his mind. Was he seven? Eight? All he had done was draw a picture after school and he wanted to show his dad what he did. It was the first time he used markers instead of crayons and he felt so excited Jacob couldn’t wait to show him. He didn’t know or see the signs of alcoholism then. How could he? He was just a child. He didn’t know. All he wanted was to see his dad’s smile. Maybe it had started sooner, and he just hadn’t done anything wrong before then. But he was excited and talking and he was holding his new picture up to Joe’s face. It all happened so fast. At first Joe had brushed his hand aside, but when Jacob tried to show him again, his dad suddenly flew into a rage and the next thing he felt was his dad’s hand against his face before he was sent sprawling to the floor.

Pain and confusion, combined with tears sent him stumbling back to his room to hide. Not long after that, his father came to him with tears of his own, begging Jacob for forgiveness. He could remember them crying together as his dad held him for what seemed like the rest of the night. Jacob had no idea of knowing that it would be the first of many times his dad would strike him in the coming years. And how each time it would slowly saw away at their bond until there was nothing left but pain and resentment.

“Jacob?”

He looked down at Andy, who met his gaze with not a small amount of concern. “Huh?”

“Did you hear what I said?” With everything he had seen Jacob go through over the years, with his alcoholism, getting married and having kids, even in those early days they barely knew each other, Andy had never seen that kind of haunted stare in his friend’s eyes before. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine.” Jacob took a breath and banished the unwanted thoughts out of his mind and focused his attention to the task at hand. “You ready for another set?”

Andy watched him carefully, making a mental note to speak to Kyle or David later. “I already did three. How close did we get to my normal set?”

Jacob glanced down. “Only fifteen pounds under.”

Andy sat there for a moment, thinking. “I think that’s good for now. I can work on it again in a couple days.” He took a few experimental steps and grimaced slightly. “Feels a little stiff now. It’ll get better.”

“Didn’t the doctors give you a pain killer for your leg,” Jacob asked as he put a supporting arm around Andy’s shoulders as they walked through the weight room towards the door.

“Yeah,” Andy confirmed. “But I don’t like taking them. Makes my head feel fuzzy and I’m not entirely sure I wanna get hooked on them.”

Jacob smirked slightly, understanding how that might be a problem. “You just gonna toke up when you get home?”

“Oh, hell no!” Andy said. “I had to give that up.”

“Why?”

Andy rolled his eyes. “’What’s that smell Dad?’ Christ. The second I heard that, I knew I had to stop. Last thing I want is to give Tanner the idea that it’s okay for him to do it. At least, not until he’s older.”

Jacob chuckled softly. “Sorry to hear that.”

Andy sighed. “Damn kids,” he grumbled. “Making me be an adult.” They reached the door and Andy look up at his friend. “I’m serious about what I said. You went through some serious shit with your dad, and you need to talk to someone about it. Don’t let it sit and fester inside you like I did.”

Jacob lost his smile, wishing they’d stop talking about that. “I know. Thanks.”

Andy fixed him with a hard stare. “Don’t bullshit me, Jacob. I’m serious. You might not have been in a war like I was, but I know it does as much damage to you if not more. If you don’t, you’re liable to head down a pretty dark path.”

Jacob sighed, wanting this discussion to just end. Talking about his dead father was something he had managed to avoid for years with only simple statements and the occasional recounted times he spent living with the man. Even when he spoke with Tanner a few years ago, he managed to keep the discussion in general terms to avoid talking directly about his abuse. Now, his father seemed to be lurking around the corner of every conversation. All because of that stupid test they all took. “I appreciate your concern. Really, I do. If I go back to see my therapist, I’ll talk to him and get his opinion on it.”

Andy knew a brush off when he heard one but decided to let it drop for now. Pushing him would likely only make things worse. They went through the gym until they reached the indoor track. As they stood near the doorway, Andy and Jacob both looked around for Tanner in the small clumps of people milling about, talking, walking and some running. It took him a moment before he saw Tanner who had his back facing him. When he saw who he was standing around with, he smirked and shook his head. “Jesus. Gonna have to have a talk with that boy.”

Jacob followed Andy’s gaze until he recognized Tanner. He suppressed the urge to laugh. In the center of the track, Jacob could clearly see Tanner sitting in a circle with a group of three girls. All of whom, by the looks on their faces, seemed to be very interested in him. “Oh boy. Better make it fast.”

Andy was mindful of the runners on the track as he made his way over to his son. While he couldn’t see Tanner’s face, he could tell that the girls he was talking to have that certain kind of smile and look in their eyes that young girls give young boys. Despite trying to appear casual, a small half-smirk appeared on his lips as he stepped up behind his oldest son. “Hey, Tanner. Who’re your friends?”

Tanner looked up and got to his feet with a smile. “Oh, hey Dad. This is Kelly, Amy and Casey. We were just talking.”

Jacob kept a respectful distance and did his best to hide his smile behind his hand as he watched their interaction. “Well, hello Kelly and Amy and Casey,” Andy said politely. “Tanner wasn’t bothering you I hope.” He could tell from the look in Tanner’s eyes that he was completely oblivious to the girls’ interest in him. That or he was giving an award-winning performance. Knowing his son, it could go either way.

“Oh, no,” The girl named Kelly replied with a smile. “We were just talking about school and stuff.”

Andy took a quick look at the situation in front of him. He had no reason to doubt her, but he knew this was the age where feelings and urges start to become more noticeable in their lives. And he still needed to have a few talks with Tanner about some of those things. “Well, sorry if I’m breaking things up, but we need to head home for dinner.”

Tanner got to his feet unperturbed. “Okay.” He looked at the girls and waved as he started walking after his dad. “See you later.”

Andy smirked as he heard them say their goodbyes. “Friends of yours?”

Tanner looked up at him. “Yeah. Kelly moved here last year. And I’ve known Amy since like forever.”

“Okay. You know how to treat a girl, right?”

Tanner’s face showed his confusion. “What do you mean?”

Andy sighed and rolled his eyes. “If you like a girl. Or a boy, for that matter…”

“Dad!?” Tanner’s piercing whisper forced Andy to bite his tongue to not laugh. “It isn’t like that. We’re just friends.”

Andy shrugged. “Hey. Your stepdad and I were ‘just friends’ when we were your age.”

“Thanks for the warning,” the young boy replied with a hint of sarcasm right before they met up with Jacob.

Jacob’s eyes went from Andy’s amused look to Tanner’s eyes which were rolling. “How do you feel?”

“Fine,” Tanner answered. “Though my back feels a little sore. But I figure that’s expected.”

“Yeah,” Jacob replied with a smile. “You have to take it slow at first. If it hurts too much, you stop. You’re growing up fast right now and your body will be going through a lot of changes here soon. Can’t push yourself too much at first.”

Tanner’s eyes narrowed with faux suspicion. “How do you know all this?”

Jacob grinned. “Personal experience. Thankfully, I had the gym coach help me out when I got started.”

“Well, I’m surrounded by old men, so I should be good.”

Andy laughed and patted Tanner on the back. “Let’s head out. I’ll give you a rub down after you take a shower and eat.”

The three of them walked through the gym and out to the parking lot. The night air was crisp and cool. Autumn had already taken most of the leaves off the trees and a subtle bite of Winter could be felt in the air. “Uncle Jacob,” Tanner asked. “Will you be able to come see my matches?”

Jacob replied with a smile. “Whenever I’m free I’ll be there.”

Tanner smiled, pleased to know he might be able to show off his hard work to his favorite uncle. Andy clapped Jacob on the shoulder. “I’ll see you later. Don’t forget what I told you. Give him a call and do what you know you need to do.”

“Yeah, okay.” Jacob sighed, wishing everyone would stop jumping to conclusions. He felt fine. He patted Andy on the back. “I gotta get home for dinner. See you two later.”

Andy put his arm around Tanner’s shoulders and guided him towards his truck. Tanner looked back as Jacob walked away. Once he felt Jacob was out of hearing range he asked, “what was that about?”

“Don’t worry about it,” his father replied. “Shower. Dinner. Rub down. Any homework you need to get done?”

“Nope,” he replied. “Did that before we got here.”

“Good man,” Andy said with subtle praise. They got in the truck and Andy started up the truck. Once he was navigating his way out of the parking lot, he decided to go ahead and ask the big question. “So. Boys or girls?”

“Huh?”

“Which ones do you like?”

Tanner’s cheeks burned bright. “Dad!”

Andy didn’t hold back. “Look, kid. Either way, it doesn’t matter to me. I just wanna know what’s going on with you because you can’t sit there and tell me you’re not starting to think about who you want to kiss. I figure we get past the awkward crap and get right down to it.”

Tanner was struck speechless at his dad’s candor. He had known this was going to come up eventually and that it was likely to be unpleasant. Andy’s sudden thrust into the heart of the subject caught him unawares and unsure how to respond. “Well…” He grimaced slightly, not sure what words to use. “I really couldn’t tell you one way or another. I mean, maybe both? I dunno. I’m not really thinking too much about it.”

Andy glanced at his son and saw the truth in his eyes. “That’s fine. This isn’t something you need to decide one way or the other right this second. But what I want you to do is promise me that when you do figure it out, you let me know.”

“Why?”

“Because I’m your father and I love you,” Andy insisted. “I don’t want you thinking you have to figure it all out on your own. Or that you think you need to hide stuff from me. You may have questions that you might not be able to answer yourself. You might feel confused or any number of things. I just don’t want you to not tell me because you think you’ll piss me off.”

Tanner let his dad’s words sink in before he responded. “Okay.”

“Promise?”

“Promise.”

Andy nodded. “Okay then.” He pulled into the driveway and parked. After he shut the engine off, he turned and put his hand on the back of Tanner’s neck affectionately and pulled him closer. “There’s nothing you can’t tell me. No matter what happens from here on out, I’ve got your back. If you get in trouble, I’m your first call. Yeah, I might chew you out, but I only do it because I have to, not because I enjoy it. Understand?”

Tanner smirked slightly. “Yes, sir.”

“Okay then.” He smirked slightly, mimicking Tanner’s face. “Now,” he said with a touch of tenderness, “you have to go inside and get cleaned up.” He leaned in closer, so his forehead touched Tanner’s. “Because you smell like ass.”

Father and son shared a laugh as they got out and headed inside.

 

****

 

By the time Jacob parked the truck, the sun had dipped below the horizon, casting the evening sky in streaks of reds and orange until fading to black overhead. Off to the side, he noticed a light on in his old workshop. He stood for a moment but saw no movement and guessed someone had just left a light on. It seemed puzzling since it had stood empty for a long time and gone largely ignored. Looking back at the house, he could see through the windows someone moving around in the kitchen. He decided to go to the house and see if there were any answers to be found there.

When he stepped inside, he heard David humming softly as he appeared to be getting dinner ready. When he glanced back, he smiled and nodded. “Hey, how was the workout?”

“Not too bad,” Jacob replied as he hung his jacket. “Tanner is getting used the routine still. What’s going on in my workshop?”

“My workshop now,” David answered with a grin. “No one else has a use for it. It’s got power and room. So, I decided to use it to expand my apple butter production in there.”

“Oh.” Jacob wasn’t sure if he liked that idea. David had made very small batches in the past and sold them at the orchard. But if he intended to expand, that meant there would be a new chore he was likely to put onto him and Kyle. “How big are we talking?”

“I’m hoping I can get about ten times as much for starters.” David chuckled at Jacob’s obvious lack of enthusiasm. “It’s not that hard. It just needs a few minutes to prep and then it cooks all on its own in the pots overnight. Then it the morning, we mash it or leave it chunky and then put it all in jars. Only an hour or two of real work.”

Jacob smirked despite the whole idea. “Alright, I guess.”

“There’s a lot of apples at the end of the year that don’t get bought and are too bruised for much of anything else. I don’t want good food to go to waste if I can help it. I got about ten crates left in there in a new freezer I ordered so I can work through them and perfect the technique to get it done in quick fashion.”

“How do you plan to keep the butter fresh between now and next time we open?”

“I’ll be working on that. But I have a much more important task for you.” David grinned.

“Me?”

David’s eyes shined a little brighter thinking of how good of a plan he had. “I want you to design a label for them. Something unique we can put on the jars. I’m gonna see about selling them here in town to test local reaction.”

Jacob couldn’t help but feel both impressed with David’s idea and flattered. “Alright. Give me a couple days and we’ll see what I come up with.”

“Fair enough,” David agreed. “Dinner should be done in a minute. Kids are upstairs and Kyle’s in the front room with Colt.”

“Thanks.” Jacob knew he should clean up, but he wanted to at least say a quick hello now that he was home. He went down the hall to the front room and found Kyle and Colt talking. “Hey, I’m home.”

Kyle looked up at him and smiled. “How was it?”

Jacob shrugged. “Not so bad. Tanner’s improving.” He turned his attention to Colt before continuing. “I got Andy to do some leg presses to work on getting some strength back in his leg.”

“How’d that go,” Colt asked.

“Eh, not bad. But it’s slowly improving.” Jacob looked back at Kyle and asked, “did I miss anything tonight?”

“Not really,” Kyle answered with a shrug. “Just the usual.”

“Great. I’m gonna go take a quick shower before dinner.” He headed to his bedroom and made quick work of getting in and out of the shower before putting on some comfortable clothes for the rest of the night. By the time he was heading back to the kitchen, everyone else was sitting down at the table. Matt and Aaron both got a kiss on their heads before Jacob took his seat next to Kyle.

David was already putting bowls of food on the table and completed the task by placing everyone’s drinks on the table. Once he was in his seat, everyone started in, passing the dishes around putting their own portions on their plates before passing it to the next person. All but Aaron, who got his plate prepared by Jacob. Kyle poured drinks for everyone but Colt and David and within moments, they were all eating amiably, quietly eating and discussing their day.

“Jacob’s going to work on a label for my jars,” David announced casually to everyone.

Kyle looked up at Jacob. “Oh really? Any ideas yet?”

“No,” Jacob replied, smirking. “Didn’t know until I got home. Give me a couple days.”

“Can I help,” Matt asked his dad.

Jacob cocked an eyebrow, liking the idea. “If you got any ideas, I’ll be happy to hear them.”

“Cool.”

Kyle smiled with a small amount of pride. “Aaron? Tell your dad about what you did today.”

The small, dark haired boy’s eyes lit up excitedly. “I got all my letters right!”

Jacob let his mouth drop open in surprise. “You did?! Wow! Our little boy is growing up fast.” He looked to Kyle and added, “next thing you know he’ll be reading bedtime stories to us.”

David broke in solemnly. “I heard a rumor… from his teacher, that he can count up to thirty now.”

“Well, that I’m going to want to hear later tonight before bed,” Jacob replied. “Better hurry up and eat or else you won’t be able to show me.”

Colt quietly chuckled to himself as Aaron suddenly became determined to finish his dinner before everyone else. “Your dad is going to be stinking of apples for the next month.”

Kyle shrugged helplessly. “Well, he’s not wrong about doing something with all those apples that didn’t get taken. Most of them we can’t even give away. I dropped some off at the church but told them to keep them refrigerated so they don’t go bad.”

David shrugged and continued eating. “I just need to figure out how to use what we have left over,” he said after he swallowed. “I know the small batches I used to make sold quick and I want to take advantage of that.”

“We’re not hurting financially,” Kyle pointed out.

“That’s not the point,” David answered back. “You never know when we might have to tighten our belts. This is mostly my fault anyway. I should’ve been doing this a long time ago.”

“Well,” Colt interjected. “If we all work on it together, it shouldn’t be so bad.”

David smirked. “See? Even Colt’s willing to lend a hand.”

“We’ll handle it,” Jacob said to end the discussion. He turned to Kyle and asked, “how was your day?”

Kyle shrugged. “Nothing special. Just the usual. I’ve been mostly just helping the new people get settled in and find them something to stay busy. Lately all I’ve had on my desk is wills and other contract law stuff. What about you?”

“Getting ready for a project. Been shopping around for some stuff to make a bedroom suit for someone in Ohio. Or was it Kentucky? Hell, I don’t know anymore. At this point, I just do what I’m told by the salespeople.”

“Well, aren’t we the exciting couple,” Kyle said with a soft chuckle.

Dinner ended not long after that. David and Colt took care of the cleanup in the kitchen while Kyle played a game with Aaron. Jacob took Matt to their private rooms and put Matt at his drawing desk, giving him a few pieces of blank paper to work on while he took one of his sketch pads and sat on the couch. He encouraged Matt to come up with three ideas while he did the same.

They worked quietly long enough to finish a few sketches each when Matt spoke up. “Hey, Dad?”

Jacob didn’t look up as he focused on his drawing. “Hm?”

“How long did it take you to get good at making pictures?”

Jacob stopped and looked up at him. “Well…. I guess it was around fourth grade, I think. Maybe a little younger. Why?”

“Just wondering. Did your dad tell you, you were good at it?”

Jacob sat there for a moment as a memory suddenly came to the front of his mind. It wasn’t like Matt to ask questions like this. While he was an inquisitive boy, he never seemed interested in Jacob’s past until today. “Yeah. He bought me my first markers and colored pencils.”

Matt smiled hearing that. “Like you bought me?”

“Ah, actually yeah. About the same age to, if I remember right.” He was a little stunned realizing he had done the things for Matt his father had done for him. It gave him an unsettled feeling to think he could be following in his father’s footsteps.

“What was he like?”

That wasn’t a question he wanted to answer. “Why are you so curious?”

Matt’s face took on a more uncertain expression. It was unlike Jacob to not answer a question directly. For a moment, he thought his dad sounded a little angry at being asked. “Last weekend when I stayed with Blake, Uncle Andy was talking about his dad, and it got me thinking about yours since I never met him.”

This wasn’t what Jacob was hoping to hear, but he knew he owed Matt an answer. “Well… he was a complicated person. It’s stuff you’re a little too young to hear right now. But in a few years, if you’re still curious, I’ll talk to you about it. Okay?” Before Matt could say anything else, he changed the topic. “What have you been working on so far?”

“Well,” Matt scrunched his face as he looked over what he had so far. “I thought maybe just grandpa’s face on the jar would be nice. Like if it was a sketch instead of a photo, you know? But I don’t think I’m doing a very good job of it.”

Jacob rose to join him at the desk. “Let me see.” He leaned over Matt to check his work. “Well, it’s not horrible. But you do have some parts of his face off. Don’t feel bad. Noses can be hard to do sometimes.”

“I’ve tried it a couple times, but I always seem to mess it up.”

“One sec, bud.” Jacob went to the other side of the room and opened a chest that stored all of his old memories. After a minute searching for the right one, he pulled out a very old sketch pad of his and thumbed through it. “Here.” He went back to Matt and set the pad open on an old picture that the page was noticeably older and drier than the new paper they were working on. “This is something I drew of your grandfather I think when I was still a teenager.”

Matt looked up at him quizzically. “What’s this for?”

Jacob grinned. “For you to practice with. I like the idea of using Grandpa’s face for the label. But I think it needs something else.”

“What?”

“I’m not sure. Like a border on the top and bottom. Maybe some nice lettering for whatever we’re going to call it. We’re in no rush. But take that old picture and just trace it a few times until you get it down in your head how to do it right.”

“Thanks, Dad.”

Jacob smiled. “It’s getting late. Time for you to start getting ready for bed.”

“Bedtime isn’t for another hour,” Matt pointed out.

“I know,” he replied with a nod. “But just take that time to relax and not worry about drawing noses or anything. Just watch TV with your grandpa or something and just chill for a bit. We’re in no hurry to get this done. Take that to your room with you to practice the next couple days.”

“Okay,” the boy replied somewhat reluctantly.

As Jacob went to the door leading to the rest of the house, he picked up Matt and hugged him tight in his arms. Even though he was a lot bigger than the child he remembered picking up that first morning so long ago, he still felt perfect in Jacob’s arms.

“Hey,” Matt laughingly protested.

“Sorry,” Jacob said as he held him for another moment before putting him back on his feet. “Couldn’t help myself.”

Matt gave him a dubious grin before heading out and then upstairs to his room while Jacob went to the front room to check on everyone there. He was a little surprised to find only Colt and David sitting quietly in the room watching television. “Where’s Kyle and Aaron?”

Colt turned his head to Jacob standing in the doorway. “They went upstairs. Think he’s getting a bath before bed.”

“Thanks.” He went up the stairs and checked the bathroom first. Finding it empty, he went across the hall to Aaron’s room. His old room. One of the unintended benefits of having Aaron was how this room ceased to look anything like it used to when he had been in here. Where the walls had been pale and the furniture sparce, now it looked completely different from how it used to be. The walls were painted bright green with a lighter green trim. The bed was of his own design, and he was proud that it still looked as good as the day he first put it together. With new carpet covering the floor and matching dresser and nightstand, there was no hint of the quiet, unassuming room he used to sleep in.

On the bed, Kyle was sitting next to Aaron as he read him a story from one of his books. Jacob stood in the doorway quietly and watched them as Kyle would stop occasionally and point out words and get Aaron to read them. He smiled as his heart swelled, hearing the little boy’s voice slowly sounding out words. The last five years had gone so fast. Already he felt as if he had a lifetime of memories of his youngest boy and still there were going to be even more moments they would get to cherish together.

Jacob continued to lean against the doorway watching them as Kyle finished reading, content to just watch two of the most beloved people in his life. Like every perfect moment in life, it soon ended when Kyle looked up from the book and noticed him there. Kyle grinned as their eyes met. “Look who’s here, Aaron.” Jacob grinned and stepped inside as their dark-haired boy’s face lit up.

“All ready for bed,” Jacob asked as he stepped up to the bed.

Kyle stood and moved aside after giving Aaron a kiss on his head. “Goodnight, baby. See you in the morning.” He gave Jacob a smile as they passed each other on his way out of the room. This wasn’t the first time they both spent their last moments of the night with Aaron and Matt. Over the years, there was little need for talk between them as they went through their nightly ritual.

“Well,” Jacob said as he sat on the bed and ran his hand lovingly through his son’s hair. “Sounds like you had a pretty good day, huh?”

Aaron nodded in agreement. “It’s fun with Miss Granger.”

“Well, I’m so glad to hear that,” he replied. “So, you can count to thirty now?”

“Yeah!” Aaron moved into Jacob’s arms where he felt most comfortable. “Teacher said I did it real good to.”

Jacob chuckled silently. “Well, she should know, huh. Sounds to me like you’re growing up pretty fast.”

“Yup!”

He held back his laugh at Aaron sounding so absolutely sure even as it made his heart swell. Every once in a while, he could hear a small lilt in his voice that sounded like Kyle. It always seemed more present when Aaron was speaking with more certainty than any five-year-old should have. “Well, don’t go growing up too fast on me. There’s plenty of time for lots of other stuff.”

“Like what,” Aaron asked with innocent curiosity.

“Stuff like playing games with your friends. Birthdays. You’re gonna be six here soon, you know.”

Aaron grinned. “Matt said we’re having a party.”

“Well, of course we are,” Jacob replied. “Why wouldn’t we? We only have one you to celebrate.”

“Neat. Someday I’m gonna be all grown up.”

Jacob’s smile saddened slightly at that prospect. It was inevitable, but he wished it wouldn’t come so fast. “Yeah. But not yet at least.”

They lay there together for a few breaths before Jacob’s fingers tickled Aaron’s sides sending the little boy into fits of laughter as he wiggled to get away. “No fair,” he wailed through his laughter.

Jacob laughed softly and stopped his tickle assault and drew him into a warm embrace. Hearing Aaron laugh was better than the best song he ever heard. It filled him with warmth and banished the negative thoughts that surrounded him some days. More than once when coming home from a tiring or frustrating day working in his shop, all he had to do was hear Aaron’s laughter and all that negativity would just melt away. “That was mean of me, huh?”

“Yeah,” Aaron answered with a happy smile. “Why’d you do that?”

“I don’t know.” Jacob kissed the top of Aaron’s dark hair. After so long, it still amazed him how deeply he could love Matt and Aaron and how it seemed to only grow over time. “I just like hearing you laugh.” He allowed himself a few more moments before finally saying, “it’s time for cute little boys to be asleep.”

“Okay.” Aaron settled in under the blanket and laid his head on the pillow. He watched with a smile as Jacob rose and headed to the door.

Jacob turned to him and asked, “do you want your night light on?”

“No,” the little boy replied.

“What about monsters?” In the last year, Aaron had developed a fear of sleeping in the dark for some reason. He and Kyle had tried to figure out how it started but never could find an answer.

“I’m not worried about them anymore,” Aaron replied almost dismissively.

With a cocked eyebrow, Jacob smirked slightly and asked, “Why not?”

Aaron’s reply had a certainty in it that surprised him, even as it made him both laugh and thankful. “Colt said that no monsters can get to me because they’d have to go through him first. And they’re not getting past him, so he said I don’t need to worry about them anymore.”

“Well, sounds like that’s taken care of then. Goodnight, sweetheart.”

“Goodnight, Daddy.”

Jacob quietly shut the door and headed down the stairs. He started to make his way to his bedroom when he decided to make a detour to the front room. When he stepped in, he noticed David asleep in his recliner and Colt quietly reading a book while the television played quietly in the background. “I hear all the monsters are gone,” Jacob commented with a small grin.

Colt looked up at him and smirked. “I heard the same thing.”

“Thanks for that,” he added. “Still don’t know where he picked it up.”

“Just something that happens,” the older man replied with a shrug. “As long as he knows someone’s watching him, then he’s fine.”

“Well, still, thank you for helping.”

“You’re welcome.” Colt reached over and gently shook David’s leg. “Hey. Bedtime, Sergeant.”

David woke with a start and slowly sat up. “How long was I out?”

Colt put his book down and started getting to his feet. “Long enough for me to know that you should’ve been in bed earlier. Go on. I’ll be up in a bit, unless you need help.”

He turned his head to take in his surroundings and saw Jacob watching him from the doorway. “I’m fine. Just need something to drink.” He smiled as he shifted his focus to Jacob. “What about you? Calling it a night?”

“Depends on if Kyle has any plans. Either way, I’m probably gonna lay down or do some more drawing.”

“Alright then.” He patted Jacob on the shoulder as he passed. “Goodnight, son.”

“Goodnight, Dad. Goodnight, Colt.” Jacob headed down the hall and into their shared room where Kyle was sitting quietly at his desk. “Not tired, yet?”

Kyle looked up and smirked. “I’m good for another hour or so while I type up this document.”

Jacob smirked. Privately, he wished Kyle didn’t do so much work at home. “Sounds like another exciting night then.” He went to his own desk and started doing a few small doodles. After a moment, he thought of the design on the backdoor and his attention shifted to the idea of a border on the top and bottom of a label. He tried a few samples over half an hour before he finally felt too tired to keep going. Without a word said, he rose and stepped into their bedroom and undressed before laying down. Before long, he was asleep.

Copyright © 2023 Jdonley75; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
  • Love 47
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 7/17/2023 at 9:07 AM, FanLit said:

“Andy nodded. “Okay then.”He pulled into the driveway and parked. After he shut the engine off, he turned and put his hand on the back of Tanner’s neck affectionately and pulled him closer. “There’s nothing you can’t tell me. No matter what happens from here on out, I’ve got your back. If you get in trouble, I’m your first call. Yeah, I might chew you out, but I only do it because I have to, not because I enjoy it. Understand?”
 

Favorite passage of the whole chapter, that’s Andy in a nutshell, he’d be infinitely more that with Tanner and Blake.

Gosh, I don’t want to have a favorite amongst the guys, I’m so fond of all of them but I think I’m leaning towards Andy, lol.  
No….no favorites, I care for each of them differently, that’s all.  :yes: 😁

It's funny how much Troy frets about with Chase and then you see Andy just dive right in with no second thought to it.  Andy is not my favorite.  But he holds a special place in my heart.  You left out the best part that really defines his relationship with his sons.

“Now,” he said with a touch of tenderness, “you have to go inside and get cleaned up.” He leaned in closer, so his forehead touched Tanner’s. “Because you smell like ass.”

  • Haha 4
Link to comment

These guys are a hoot. I hope that Jacob and Kyle can work through this funk they seem to he in. It will take them both to do it. 

In the meantime Andy is doing well. He has turned into a really great guy. 👍 I like him a lot. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Doha said:

These guys are a hoot. I hope that Jacob and Kyle can work through this funk they seem to he in. It will take them both to do it. 

In the meantime Andy is doing well. He has turned into a really great guy. 👍 I like him a lot. 

Andy was always a great guy. He just has a problem from his time in Afghanistan. He still has PTSD, but he manages it better than he used to.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 7/16/2023 at 6:39 AM, Jdonley75 said:

There are a lot of things about the past that will be discovered before this is over with.

There are 28 chapters left to read.  They will show up in one way or another throughout the rest of the story.

I suppose you are going to tell me to read the story but I'll ask anyway are we going to meet Colt's Son and Daughter?

  • Like 3
Link to comment

We all agree  a parent abusing thier child is so wrong but the description of Jacob remembering the first time he got hit made me wince.I mean that in a positive way because you captured the feelings and emotions of the moment

  • Like 3
Link to comment
5 hours ago, weinerdog said:

I suppose you are going to tell me to read the story but I'll ask anyway are we going to meet Colt's Son and Daughter?

Yes.  But I'm betting your attention will be on other things.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
5 hours ago, weinerdog said:

We all agree  a parent abusing thier child is so wrong but the description of Jacob remembering the first time he got hit made me wince.I mean that in a positive way because you captured the feelings and emotions of the moment

Thank you.  That was the effect I was aiming for.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

“Okay then.” He smirked slightly, mimicking Tanner’s face. “Now,” he said with a touch of tenderness, “you have to go inside and get cleaned up.” He leaned in closer, so his forehead touched Tanner’s. “Because you smell like ass.” 

Father and son shared a laugh as they got out and headed inside.

Andy has such a healthy relationship with his sons. His conversation with Tanner was affirming and amusing, invariably at the same time. Regardless of how much support he gives Tanner and Blake, if either is gay or bisexual they will likely still have difficulty disclosing this to Andy and Brian because of pressure from their peers and the bullshit attitude that many adults still have.

I am not excusing Joe's treatment of Jacob, but I have to wonder if it was just the death of his wife and perhaps his surrender of his other son which caused his descent into alcoholism and madness. Jacob's reminiscences are painting a picture of a man who still had moments of lucidity, tenderness and humanity. He was not a complete arsehole all the time it would seem.

A serene chapter, for the most part, as noted by several other commentators @Jdonley75. Jacob remains my favourite character and Colt earned a few more "brownie points" with his banishment of the "monsters". 

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Summerabbacat said:

“Okay then.” He smirked slightly, mimicking Tanner’s face. “Now,” he said with a touch of tenderness, “you have to go inside and get cleaned up.” He leaned in closer, so his forehead touched Tanner’s. “Because you smell like ass.” 

Father and son shared a laugh as they got out and headed inside.

Andy has such a healthy relationship with his sons. His conversation with Tanner was affirming and amusing, invariably at the same time. Regardless of how much support he gives Tanner and Blake, if either is gay or bisexual they will likely still have difficulty disclosing this to Andy and Brian because of pressure from their peers and the bullshit attitude that many adults still have.

I am not excusing Joe's treatment of Jacob, but I have to wonder if it was just the death of his wife and perhaps his surrender of his other son which caused his descent into alcoholism and madness. Jacob's reminiscences are painting a picture of a man who still had moments of lucidity, tenderness and humanity. He was not a complete arsehole all the time it would seem.

A serene chapter, for the most part, as noted by several other commentators @Jdonley75. Jacob remains my favourite character and Colt earned a few more "brownie points" with his banishment of the "monsters". 

One of the many reasons why I love Andy.  He doesn't let his own doubts cloud his decisions when it concerns his sons.  He'll just deal with whatever comes.

Joe doesn't get many excuses, though you might change your opinion slightly before this is all over with.

I'm glad you're (slowly) warming up to Colt. ;)  Before it's all over with, you'll be glad he's around.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..