Jump to content
    jkwsquirrel
  • Author
  • 5,070 Words
  • 3,976 Views
  • 32 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Retaliation - 7. The Boiler Room Incident

Fairly quickly, word spread around town that Dustin was in the hospital and that his parents had split up. There were rumors, of course. There always are in a little town like Donora. It wasn’t hard to see that Frank Smith was an asshole and a drunk, and that Carol Smith was a bitch. So the most expressed feeling about their split was one of surprise that they had stayed together so long more than anything else. Dustin’s hospitalization was rumored to be everything from an accident on his bike to that he was dying from AIDS. Though there were all the terrible rumors, one thing that I did not hear was the truth. I think that even if the truth was known, that Dustin’s own father had raped him with a broomstick and almost killed him, it was too terrible even to talk about. No matter how evil people thought Frank was, no one expected him to be so vicious.

I had a few people ask me about the situation at school, since I was Dustin’s friend and all. I did my best to defend Dustin and to wait to see how Dustin wanted to handle things. I’d gotten in trouble with him before about revealing too much about his life, and this was much worse than simply crying in the woods. Nobody asked Brett a thing about what happened, because nobody knew about his involvement at all. One of my teachers pulled me aside after class and asked me point blank if Dustin had been abused, so I guess more people had known about Dustin that I had ever thought. I denied knowing anything except that Dustin was in the hospital. No tenth grader should have to endure what Dustin was going through, and I didn’t want to add to his troubles.

One thing that really pissed me off is that Dustin’s mom didn’t even call the cops. No one knows what she did to Frank the night she found out the truth from Brett. Nobody had even seen him since that day. I was surprised he didn’t end up in the hospital, or worse. Brett didn’t really want to testify, but he would have if he had to. But he told me that not even the cops had come by to ask him anything. It was as if nothing had happened at all. As if just one day Frank had decided to leave for no reason at all. It made me mad because Dustin was never going to get the justice he deserved for nearly being raped to death.

Miss Winston caught me in the hall and got me out of my next class so she could talk to me. She’d always been watching out for Dustin and had gotten him to be a volleyball assistant with me so she could help him out as best she could. We sat in her science room and talked for a while about what had happened.

“You know the real story, Billy. Don’t hide it from me,” she insisted as I continued to profess ignorance.

“I don’t want to say anything until I’ve had a chance to talk to Dustin,” I replied.

“This is not the time for hiding, Billy. Your friend is in the hospital and you know the reason.”

“I really can’t say anything, Miss Winston. I’m sorry.”

“You don’t think I know Dustin’s been abused by his parents?” she asked. “You don’t think I’ve put my own neck on the line and reported it to the principal several times? I knew something bad was going to happen, but no one has done anything to help that poor boy. It just goes nowhere.”

“I can’t tell you what happened,” I said. “All I can say is I’m thankful that you care for him. I’m glad he has at least one teacher who cares around here.”

“Billy, don’t let this town change who you are. Don’t let the bullies who run this place keep you from being true to your friends.”

“I’m not,” I said. “It’s not them I’m worried about. If Dustin doesn’t want to talk about it, then I can’t either. I’ve already said too much. It’s his life.”

I was happy when the bell rang and it was time to go home. It was good to get away from all the rumors and speculation. I sat next to Brett on the bus, of course. He looked miserable, and I could tell the weight of what he’d done was a heavy burden on his heart. I knew he’d done the right thing, I just wished he could see that.

When I got home, dad was there waiting for me. He asked me if I wanted to go with him on a project that evening. I was ready for anything to take my mind off Dustin, so I agreed. It was a little after four when we left. It was nice that the sun was staying out a little longer than it had been now that it was officially spring. We drove about an hour or so to a house in a town called Upper St. Clair. It was one of the richest neighborhoods around, and the house we went to was very big. Dad assured me that we would be well paid for our time. The house looked like an old mansion built in the days when steel and coal were booming. Dad told me that a doctor owned it now, and that they’d been friends in high school. There was a big stone wall built around the yard, and a big iron gate in the front through which we drove onto the brick driveway toward the house. This was no ordinary job dad had managed to snag!

I spent most of my time just admiring the beauty of the old-style construction of the home. There was so much detail. Brett would have loved it because there was just so much to see. Dad grabbed his cane and I lugged his heavy toolbox and we walked to the side door. Dad told me that no one used the big main doors in houses like this one. Sure enough, after he rang the doorbell a man about dad’s age answered the door.

“George Roberts! Look at you,” the man said as he greeted dad. He shook dad’s hand warmly and then hugged him.

“It’s good to see you Barry,” dad replied.

“You’re looking like quite the distinguished gentleman with the cane, George,” Barry said heartily.

“Well I guess ‘distinguished’ is a nicer way of putting it than I would,” dad laughed. “I see your career has treated you well.”

“I’ve been blessed, George,” Barry said. “Now who is this boy doing all the work?” he asked, noticing me carrying the heavy box of tools.

“This is my boy. Billy, this is Barry Steinberg.”

“Nice to meet you,” I said, shaking his hand.

“Good firm handshake, George,” Barry said. “I see he passed up his old man in height.”

“Yeah, about two years ago,” dad laughed. “What are you now, boy, six feet?”

“Five eleven,” I replied. “And a half.”

For some reason both dad and Barry found that hilarious. “Bet you’re quite the ladies’ man, aren’t you?” Barry smiled and lightly elbowed me in the ribs. “I’ll bet he’s glad he got his mother’s looks instead of yours!”

“He’ll have his mother’s hair if he keeps it growing like that,” dad laughed as we walked through the house.

“That’s the style kids like nowadays,” Barry replied. “You should see my kid’s hair. We all had buzz cuts in our day, didn’t we?”

We walked through the main hallway and through a door under the steps into the basement. It obviously wasn’t as nice as the upper floors, but it still had a rec room and some weight machines.

“Now here’s the furnace,” Barry explained. “I’ve had three guys come out here and look at it and they all said the same thing. Take it out and replace it with a newer model. But this old model is part of the house’s history and I’d like to keep it if I could. One of the guys mentioned your name and I knew that if you couldn’t fix it then it couldn’t be fixed.”

“That’s nice of you, Barry,” dad said. “But since the stroke I’m not as good as I used to be.”

“Well, like I said, if you can’t fix it then it can’t be done. I’ll just replace it. I’ve got to run to the office for a while, so I’ll leave you to do your thing. My son, Kyle, is around somewhere so if you need anything feel free to ask him.”

After Barry left, dad and I got to work. Dad made sure the power was off to the unit, then he had me open up the outer casing so he could examine the control panels. Dad stared and poked at the wires, switches and buttons for almost an hour. This was always the most boring part of the job. Dad could usually figure out a machine’s inner workings quickly, but this one was not only old but it had been repaired by so many different people over its life that there were repairs of older repairs of even older repairs. I could tell dad was getting frustrated.

“Now why would they…” he grumbled. “No wonder this thing’s not working.”

A kid about my age popped his head in the room after a while and asked us if we needed anything to drink. I assumed by the shaggy brown hair that this was Kyle. He was incredibly cute. He looked like he could have been a model. Dad asked for a diet soda and I jokingly asked for a beer. Dad continued his exploration of the furnace and I was bored out of my mind so I asked dad if I could help Kyle. Dad just waved his arm at me to shoo me off, so I followed Kyle up to the kitchen.

“So… You live in this place?” I asked.

“All my life,” Kyle replied, as if bored by my very presence.

“What’s it like living in a place like this?” I asked.

“I don’t know,” he replied. His voice was pleasant to listen to, even if he was annoyed by me. “It’s okay I guess.”

“Your friends must really be impressed by it.”

“All my friends live in bigger houses than this crap hole,” Kyle grumbled. “I hate this place. I can’t wait to get out of here.”

“Oh…” I replied.

Kyle handed me a bottle of Diet Coke and a bottle of Rolling Rock beer. “Here you go.”

“Oh,” I said. “I was just kidding about the beer.”

“Whatever,” Kyle replied. He took the beer and handed me a Coke. Then he drank the beer. I returned to dad in the basement. Even though he was really cute, I didn’t like Kyle very much. Dad was on top of the furnace looking down into it with a flashlight.

“This fucking…” dad mumbled. “Aw goddammit!”

“You okay, dad?” I asked.

“Oh, I dropped the goddamn flashlight down there,” Dad barked. “Climb up here and see if you can reach it, boy. I climbed up to where dad was sitting and was able to reach the flashlight. Luckily it was still on and very easy to find.

“Are we going to be able to fix it?” I asked.

“Not in one night,” dad replied. “Back when I was useful I might have been able to do it, but not anymore.”

I had to make a few trips to the truck for dad to pick up things that he needed. I was used to that, though the long walk through the house made it seem like even more of a chore. Dad had totally disassembled the wiring box of the unit and was putting it all back together properly. He kept grumbling about the previous repairmen who had made such a mess of things. Dad kept me busy with odd jobs for a while, screwing and unscrewing this and that, replacing wires for him. Dad climbed under the unit and cursed again.

“Goddammit. Hey boy, hand me that three-eighths socket and ratchet,” he instructed.

“Okay, dad,” I replied, quickly grabbing what he asked for and giving it to him.

“Goddammit boy!” dad barked. “This is a three-eighths socket. I need a five-eighths socket!”

“But you asked me for…”

“I know what I fucking asked for.” dad snapped. “Just hand me a five-eighths socket, goddammit!” He stuck out his hand from under the machine. I knew he was frustrated, so I just did as I was told as quickly as I could. Suddenly I heard a clang and dad swore again.

“Owwww!!! Mother fucker!”

“Is it the wrong size?” I asked.

“No I dropped it on my head!” Dad grouched. “Dammit, boy, get under here!”

I quickly joined him under the machine.

“Take this ratchet and unscrew this goddamned bolt,” dad ordered.

“This one?” I asked.

“No! Weren’t you watching? That one!” dad said, pointing the bolt.

“Oh, okay. Sure thing, dad,” I replied and quickly did what dad had asked me to do. It continued like that for another hour or so. Dad was becoming more and more agitated as we worked. Swear words were flying with greater frequency that even Brett was known for. Dad was having a lot of trouble with his hands, and I knew it was bothering him that he had to rely on me so much. He had figured out most of the machine and was even beginning to put stuff back together. He grabbed a screwdriver and a metal screw and started working on closing up an electrical panel.

“I can do that dad,” I offered, reaching for the screwdriver. “Here, let me do it.”

But dad snapped at me. “I can screw a goddamn screw without you, boy!”

“Sorry, dad,” I said stiffly. I’d been on the brunt of dad’s anger for three hours and I was getting tired of it. Dad went back to his work, but then he fumbled the screwdriver out of his hands, along with the screw.

“Goddammit!” dad cursed angrily.

“Dad let me help you…” I said.

“Billy get the fuck out of my way!” dad insisted.

“But dad, I…”

“Shut up, boy!” dad snapped.

He picked up the screwdriver and screw, but he fumbled them both again, only this time the panel fell down as well and everything hit the floor with a tremendous crash. The screw disappeared and dad totally lost his temper. He tried to kick the screwdriver but his leg gave out and he tumbled to the floor.

“Oh shit! Dad are you alright?” I cried, jumping to his side.

“Shut the fuck up, boy! Goddammit!” dad exploded as he pushed me away. He climbed to his feet on his own. I hadn’t seen the look of anger I saw on his face since the night he’d slapped me. He grabbed his cane and with both hands he pounded the furnace with it three times. Then he tossed the cane across the room. “God damn it all!” he swore furiously. He kicked over the toolbox and sent tools and parts flying everywhere. Some of them hit me. “Worthless motherfucker!” He slammed the furnace with his bare hands taking out months of frustration with his body out on the helpless machine. Then leaned against it and he began to weep bitterly. “God damn this worthless fucking body…” I just stood there. I didn’t know what to do. I’d never seen my dad cry in my life.

“I’m useless!” he sobbed. “I’m fucking useless!”

“Dad…” I walked up behind him and put my hand on his shoulder.

“Get the fuck away from me, boy!” dad snapped. He shrugged my hand off of him and then pushed me away from him. He raised the back of his hand as if to hit me. “Get the fuck out of here!” he snapped.

“Fine,” I said. “Screw this. I don’t need this shit. I’ll take a cab home.” Then I walked out. I walked out of the room, up the basement stairs, down the long hallway. Truthfully, I was disturbed by what I’d seen. I knew my dad had a temper. Hell, I’d been on the receiving end of it. But this was something I’d never seen, and I couldn’t take it.

“Everything alright?” Kyle asked as I passed him in the hallway.

“Fuck off, Kyle,” I snapped as I pushed past him and out the door. I leaned against the truck and looked out over the yard. I calculated how much it would cost to get a ride home in a cab or something. Part of me was furious at my dad, but part of me just wanted to get away from him because I’d never seen him so defeated and hopeless.

After a few minutes I could hear him coming. It wasn’t hard to hear as his cane made a familiar sound as it hit the ground.

“Stay away from me,” I ordered, still looking out over the yard. “I swear to God if you try to punish me…”

“Billy, I’m sorry,” dad said softly.

“I don’t care,” I replied. I turned to face him, standing there in that driveway leaning all his weight on his cane. I saw him for what he really was. I’d always been so intimidated by him, but looking at him now, he looked old and weak. Now I was the stronger one. I was the taller one. I was a good three inches taller than him. I’d surpassed him. “I didn’t do anything to you. I didn’t make you diabetic. I didn’t make you drink Mountain Dew and smoke cigarettes. I damn sure didn’t deserve what just happened in there. You almost hit me!”

“You’re right, son,” dad replied. “You’re right and I’m sorry.”

“You should be sorry,” I replied.

“I am. Oh, Billy… Do you know how hard this is for me, son? I’m falling apart. I’m dying one piece at a time. I’m worn out like an old blanket. I used to be able to fix anything. Anything, Billy! I could have fixed that furnace down there and been done with it in one night. But now look at me. I’m useless. I can’t even tie my own goddamn shoes anymore. I’m worthless. Useless! Used up and worthless. And then I took it out on you. I’m sorry.”

“You didn’t have to try and hit me,” I said. “All I wanted to do was help you.”

“You’re right, son,” dad admitted.

“It’s more than just what happened in there, dad. I feel like you don’t care about my feelings. I’ve always felt like I was always a chore to you. I feel like you didn’t want me. Like I was an inconvenience to you. You know what I mean?”

“I’m sorry you feel that way,” dad replied. “That’s not the way I feel about you.”

“Well how do you feel about me, dad? Because I’ve spent my life trying to live up to your expectations of me. It always seems like whatever I do it isn’t good enough for you. Like you never care about my feelings.”

“You know that’s not true,” dad protested.

“Yeah it is! Nothing I do is ever good enough for you. No matter what I do, you always find something to bitch about. If I get a ninety-nine on a test, you want to know what I missed. If I get a hundred, you say the test was too easy. I can never win with you!”

“Billy, I’m just trying to encourage you to do your best. That’s what parents are supposed to do. You’re so smart. I always thought I had to make you work harder than the other kids because I didn’t want you to get too cocky because you were such a bright boy. You were always a bright kid. You can do so much just on talent alone, with no effort. But you were always smart enough to know you were smart and I didn’t want you to get cocky about it like I did when I was your age. You could do so much, but your attitude gets in the way.”

“But don’t you see? I could understand if you were just pushing me to be my best, but even when I give my best it’s never enough for you. You never listen to me. I feel like I can’t tell you anything because you’re going to tell me I’m not good enough. I just can’t stand the bullshit anymore, dad. I’m tired of hiding who I am from you because I’m afraid I won’t measure up.”

“Billy, don’t you understand? You have done so much more than measure up to my expectations of you. You’ve exceeded them! I’m so proud of you. You’re going to be a far better man than I ever was. I just wish I had more time to spend with you. I don’t know how much longer we have to spend together.”

“Why do you talk like that, dad? You’re going to be around for a long time.”

“I wish I could agree with you, Billy. But either way, soon you’re going to move on and go to school. You’re not going to need your old man anymore. You’re going to get out of the Valley and be somebody. I just want you to be ready. There’s a bigger world out there than a shitty little town like Donora. You could live in a house like this someday. But even if you don’t, your mom and I are going to be proud of you no matter what.”

“I feel worn out sometimes too, dad! I feel like I have to be perfect for you.”

“Nobody expects you to be perfect.”

“Sure… It’s easy for you to say. You don’t know what it’s like to be me. If you really knew me, you’d hate me.”

“You think so?”

“I know so,” I insisted.

“You’re wrong,” dad replied. “I know you better than you think, and I’ll always love you no matter who you love.”

I hesitated, allowing my mind to fully grasp what my dad had just said. “What did you say?” I asked.

“You know what I said,” dad replied. “Let me be clear. I know you’re gay, Billy. I’ve always known.”

I took a step back, as if I was going to run away from the conversation. “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” I lied. “I’m not gay!”

“Billy, I know you love Brett.”

“I’m not doing anything with Brett,” I said almost instinctively.

“Yes you are. It’s alright, son,” dad said. “I know you love him. I’ve always known. All this time you think you’ve been hiding, but I know my son and I know how much Brett means to you, and how much he loves you right back. I think Brett’s a good boy.”

“I… I can’t believe this is happening. How long have you known?” I asked.

“Well, I guess I’ve known since you were a little boy, really. You… Well, you have never had a girlfriend, and I’ve seen the way you almost cringe at the thought. We’ve had conversations from time to time that have confirmed it to me like that time at the Ed’s house when you were so worried about someone hating you for who you love. But I knew even before then. It wasn’t easy to accept at first. I did stupid things like make you play baseball. But I knew that there was nothing that I did to make you the way you are and nothing I could have done to change you. And even if I could change you I wouldn’t. You are who you are and there’s nothing wrong with that. Then you brought this wild little boy home with you one day and you never left his side since. And you’ve only grown closer and closer since then. I saw this little boy who was just begging for someone to be a father to him and love him, and how could I not? He’s a special kid, and he loves you to death. That’s undeniable. Then one day your headboard started banging against the wall when he came over it was kind of obvious that your relationship had become… serious. I know what happened when I would close the door and turn up the radio in my room when I had a girl over when I was your age.”

“Okay,” I think I turned so red I was glowing in the dark.

“I don’t really need to know what you do behind closed doors. As long as you stay safe, you do what you need to do. I trust you to be responsible and careful and not to hurt him. I know you’ll stand up for yourself and not let people push you around. You know, if you’d been born in a different time, you would have been forced to do things right-handed, but you would have still been left-handed. That’s what you are. It’s the same way with this. I’m sure some people would love to make you straight if they could, but that’s not who you are. I don’t think I’d be a very good father if I tried to force you to be something that you’re not.”

“So you’re not mad at me?” I asked.

“Why would I be mad at you? Are you mad at me because I have to use a cane?” dad asked.

“No,” I laughed at the suggestion.

“Well then, there you go,” dad replied.

“Brett always said he thought you knew,” I said.

“Well, Brett’s a smart boy. He gets people,” dad replied. “You could learn a lot from him.”

“Does mom know?” I asked.

Dad sighed. “Of course she knows - but she doesn’t want to. She knows it in her head, but she won’t accept it in her heart. It’s going to take her a lot longer to accept. You boys aren’t as quiet as you think you are sometimes. Your room is pretty far away from your mom’s room, but the night Brett stayed with us after that storm it wasn’t hard to figure out what you were doing in there.”

“Oh god… You could hear us?” I asked.

“I think the neighbors could hear you that night. Remember, I usually sleep in the living room in my chair. But I’m sure your mom was asleep by the time the headboard started thumping against the wall and well, the other sounds started...”

“Oh my god!” I said, mortified. I remembered those sounds.

“Don’t be embarrassed. What you boys do behind closed doors is your own business. Just try to keep it down when your mother’s around or your business will become her business. Your mother doesn’t think about things logically like you and I do. She’s an emotional thinker. That preacher of hers isn’t helping matters either. I just pray that I last long enough to keep her from hurting you. I wish I could make your life easier, Billy. I wish we were at a point in time when something like this wouldn’t mean that your life is going to be more difficult. But we both know that there are people out there who will try to hurt you for being who you are. There are people who will hurt you because of who you love. I’m just glad that you and Brett have each other to support each other. If you didn’t have each other, I’d be a lot more worried about you. He’s a good kid.”

“Do you think you could talk to her?”

“I have tried, but she won’t hear it. There was a time when she might have been more willing to listen, but at this point… I really think this is something you two are going to have to work out together.”

“What about you and me?” I asked.

“What about us?” dad asked back.

“Well, I mean, now that it’s sort of official and everything… What happens now?”

Dad thought for a moment. “I guess we just continue on as we have been, except you don’t have to be afraid of me anymore. I’m not planning to treat you or Brett any differently than I always have. You’re not my ‘gay son,’ you’re my son and as far as I’m concerned so is Brett. I’m proud of the young men you’re becoming. When you’re ready to tell your mom I’ll be there.”

“Okay,” I replied. “Well I guess we should get back to work.”

I started to walk toward the house, but dad grabbed me and hugged me. “I love you, Billy,” he said. “And nothing you could ever do will change that. I love you just the way you are.”

“I love you too, old man,” I replied. “Hey, thanks for being cool. Most dads wouldn’t be like you.”

“Well, I’m not most dads. I’m your dad.”

I helped dad clean up the tools he’d knocked over, and we got things to the point where we could leave and come back the next day to finish the job. We stopped to eat a late dinner on the way home and had a really good conversation. For the first time in a long time, I really felt like I could be myself around my dad without trying to hide. It felt great. Dad even let me drive the truck home. Something had changed in our relationship after that. I felt like dad didn’t see me as a kid anymore or even a teenager, but that he saw me as a man. That felt best of all.

Ah.... This one felt good to write!

Next time: Brett's Reward
Copyright © 2017 jkwsquirrel; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 31
  • Love 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



We all knew George knew! Brett knew George knew! Only Billy thought he didn’t!  ;-)

 

…And then there’s Billy’s obtuse mother…

Link to comment

In 1967, I was still living across the street from Barak Obama (I never met him, but we went to the same elementary school – he and my brother had just completed kindergarten, but they were in different classes). Barak and I moved away from Hawaii that same summer (he to Indonesia, we to San Diego).

Link to comment

Awww...this made me want to ship Billy and Dustin's moms off to the Island of Stupid and Denial, on the Titanic...I'll buy their tickets!!! Hopefully Billy's dad will be around long enough to stop his mom and her "Jim Jones" minister from doing any emotional or physical harm to him!! This was an awesome chapter, with Billy's father garnering the Oscar and my heart!! Hope Dustin pulls through...:heart::worship:

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Billy and his Dad finally made the right choice to be honest with each other, i absolutely loved it. Great chqpter. 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 7/21/2017 at 2:11 AM, Wesley8890 said:

Damnit making me cry this week! What is up with this. This was my favorite chapter! 

Thanks Wesley!  I'm glad you liked it!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 7/21/2017 at 2:23 AM, droughtquake said:

We all knew George knew! Brett knew George knew! Only Billy thought he didn’t!  ;-)

 

…And then there’s Billy’s obtuse mother…

Well, Billy's kind of dense when it comes to people.  :D

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 7/21/2017 at 2:43 AM, glennish said:

OMG OMG OH MY GOD......(fanboy scream).....best chapter ever.   Poor George,  having the sharp mind but a body unable to do the work must really suck.  After the tantrum in be basement George stopped calling him "boy" and started to call him Billy and son.  A real growing moment in the story (I've always hated him using "boy" throughout the story).  A chance to reclaim some of the confidence that Billy had lost earlier in this segment.  Bring on the next road test 😂.  The next chapter sounds ominous....I hope I am wrong though.  Well worth the extra 2 hour wait. Thanks. 

Thanks glennish!  I'm glad you liked it.  You caught it, George stopped calling Billy "boy" after the boiler room incident for exactly the reasons you described.  This chapter was Billy at his best.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 7/21/2017 at 2:51 AM, Benji said:

B)..........With good reason, writing in the main fears of Billy with resolutions between his father and he was a main sticking point of Billy's. As I thought his mom 'knows' but denial always looks elsewhere but the truth in dealing with matters they don't want to face. That was a big step that Billy and his dad took, it certainly lifted a great weight off off of his shoulders, and his knowing his mothers denying awareness is also a plus. Joey is screwed trying out his blackmail scheme if he thought for a moment Billy would fall for it.  Great chapter!!

 

(Side note, funny how things come back at you, I was visiting SF last week after a doctors appointment in Palo Alto and had a flashback....this year is the 50th anniversary of the summer of love in Haight Ashbury, as I looked at the street sign I realized that I was here exactly 50 years ago at this very intersection while visiting my Uncle when I was 14 years old (1967), it was a very surprising flashback!!!)

Thanks Benji!  Yes, getting through this encounter with his dad was an important step for Billy.  Have you noticed that Billy never really comes out to anyone, and yet everybody seems to know?  He only thinks he's hiding.

 

As for me, 50 years ago today I didn't exist!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 7/21/2017 at 3:19 AM, wenmale64 said:

Great Chapter!!!  Finally the truth is out there. George will be true to his feelings. I don't know what will hapen with Billys mom, but she NEEDS the truth beat into her head with a hammer.  I really want to see Dustins dad in jail and it would not hurt my feelings if his mom went in also.  As for the preacher man...I am not allowed to use those words here........

Thanks!  I don't think we'll see much change in George, since he's known all along anyway.  Maybe we'll see a change in Billy?  (or maybe not, he is a stubborn young man)

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 7/21/2017 at 3:22 AM, droughtquake said:

In 1967, I was still living across the street from Barak Obama (I never met him, but we went to the same elementary school – he and my brother had just completed kindergarten, but they were in different classes). Barak and I moved away from Hawaii that same summer (he to Indonesia, we to San Diego).

When I read you lived across the street from President Obama as a child, I naturally assumed you grew up in Kenya.  lol

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 7/21/2017 at 3:52 AM, JayT said:

Of course his dad knew....I think we all know where Frank is...the fat bitch killed him (hopefully)

Something tells me we haven't heard the last of Frank.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 7/21/2017 at 0:47 PM, Onim said:

Awww...this made me want to ship Billy and Dustin's moms off to the Island of Stupid and Denial, on the Titanic...I'll buy their tickets!!! Hopefully Billy's dad will be around long enough to stop his mom and her "Jim Jones" minister from doing any emotional or physical harm to him!! This was an awesome chapter, with Billy's father garnering the Oscar and my heart!! Hope Dustin pulls through...:heart::worship:

Thanks Onim!  Ol' George pulled through for his son!  But I don't think Paula will be as easy.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 7/21/2017 at 4:51 PM, Dahawk said:

Billy and his Dad finally made the right choice to be honest with each other, i absolutely loved it. Great chqpter. 

Thanks Dahawk!  I appreciate it!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
21 minutes ago, jkwsquirrel said:

When I read you lived across the street from President Obama as a child, I naturally assumed you grew up in Kenya.  lol

Well it was hot all the time, most of the people had black (-colored) hair, and we all ran around in Zoris (plastic sandals) instead of shoes! Plus just like colonial Kenya, most of the people in charge were white! (Hawaii had graduated from US Territory to Statehood only 8 years previous, about two years before ‘Barry’ was born.)

Link to comment

I'm late to the party, so there's not much left to say on this chapter.  I agree, poor George.  Having a sharp mind and your body suddenly not being able to keep up with your mind must be a terrible feeling.

 

I just want to say, I love how everyone Billy is out to basically said "I know you're gay, Billy, you're super obvious about it", and Billy is shocked and surprised every time.  What's it going to take for him to realise he's in a glass closet?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Shadow086 said:

…poor George.  Having a sharp mind and your body suddenly not being able to keep up with your mind must be a terrible feeling.

Does George have ALS? The numbness in the fingers, the inability to control his hands… Those sound like some of the symptoms.

Link to comment
1 minute ago, droughtquake said:

Does George have ALS? The numbness in the fingers, the inability to control his hands… Those sound like some of the symptoms.

I think it's more like a loss of motor functions caused by the stroke he had.  But he still finds himself unable to do all he could before, and you can tell it's a big blow to his pride.

 

By the way, a politician up here had ALS, and it progressed really quickly.  What a brutal illness.  I can't imagine how powerless it must feel to know your body's shutting down and there's nothing you can do about it. For most people the mind is the first to go, and I think it's less painful that way (for the person, not the loved ones).

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
22 minutes ago, Shadow086 said:

I think it's more like a loss of motor functions caused by the stroke he had.  But he still finds himself unable to do all he could before, and you can tell it's a big blow to his pride.

 

By the way, a politician up here had ALS, and it progressed really quickly.  What a brutal illness.  I can't imagine how powerless it must feel to know your body's shutting down and there's nothing you can do about it. For most people the mind is the first to go, and I think it's less painful that way (for the person, not the loved ones).

My (Lesbian?) Aunt was a nurse and she told me that she thought the worst thing to be suffering from was end-stages ALS. You lose all control of your muscles and can’t even swallow on your own. You have to depend on someone suctioning your saliva out before you choke or drown. It causes people to panic since they can’t speak or communicate.

Link to comment

@droughtquake Exactly, but your mind is still as alert as it's ever been.  It must be devastating, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.  I'd probably try to kill myself before reaching that stage.

Edited by Shadow086
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Great Chapter!    I had a similar conversation (minus boyfriend) with my 16 year old gay son (who doesn't know about me!).  I tell him if he weren't gay, he wouldn't be the same person who is my son. We get along well, but he thinks I don't understand gay stuff at all.  It's pretty funny.....

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..