Jump to content

A Twist of Faith

   (9 reviews)
Sub-genres: Contemporary Literary

Sometimes life throws you a curve and makes you rethink things you once highly valued. But can you really be swayed? 

This story is not meant to be controversial. It's just a look at a side of a religious coin we don't get to see too often. 
Copyright © 2023 kbois; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (12 members)

  • Action Packed 0
  • Addictive/Pacing 5
  • Characters 12
  • Chills 5
  • Cliffhanger 0
  • Compelling 12
  • Feel-Good 9
  • Humor 7
  • Smoldering 0
  • Tearjerker 1
  • Unique 11
  • World Building 4

Select Chapter
Table of Contents
  • 1. Chapter 1
    • 6,106 Words
    • 2,425 Views
    • 76 Comments

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

astone2292

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

This is a wonderful, must-read story that features a tragic loss and how a man overcomes it. A brilliant addition to this year's anthology!

Response from the author:

Thanks for your help Aaron. Until next time my friend. 

  • Love 8
Link to review
pvtguy

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

Several issues converge to make Evan rethink his life's view.  Religion plays a major part but the questioning of faith is a necessary step to clarifying one's personal beliefs.  This short story is a powerful presentation.

Response from the author:

I think clarifying one's personal beliefs can entail questioning a lot more than one's religious beliefs. It can certainly play a major part though. Thanks for reading!

  • Love 5
Link to review
drsawzall

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

Thought provoking and well worth the time to read, they say the devil is in the details and this is no exception.

When tragedy strikes, how do you find the will to go forward?

Well written, this is a master class in the art of writing an essay!!!

Response from the author:

I was always so-so at essay writing in high school. Probably because it was a Catholic institution and I hated the subjecta they forcedus to write about. The only time I enjoyed it was when a friend and I had a joint essay our senior year for our French class on the treatment of senior citizens in France. I stayed at her house the night before it was due, we sequestered in her room with a 12 pack of Coors Light. Knocked back 5 each, wrote the essay. Stayed up most of the night smoking. Drank the other 2 beers on the way to school the next day and aced both the written and verbal parts. Lol. Our professor was a closeted gay man. He was my favorite teacher ever. 

  • Love 4
  • Wow 1
Link to review
Danilo Syrtis

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

That’s the kind of story I won’t expect from one of my favorite GA author, but it is a REALLY GREAT story ! 👍

Now the next philosophical topic for Jordan is « does your faith leads to your fate or your fate is to have faith » ? 😉

Response from the author:

I seriously love your reviews mon chou. 😘

  • Like 1
  • Love 5
Link to review
Alexmugs

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

@kbois has brought us an incredibly well-crafted, well-thought-out, and certainly well-researched story centering around a subject few dare to touch-- religion. She shows us it's okay to swim against the tide and what most of society believes in. No matter what you believe in, you need to give this story a chance. It might surprise you. 

Response from the author:

Thanks Alex! 

I try to be mindful of sensitive topics. I think I succeeded with this one. 

  • Love 7
Link to review
raven1

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

This is a remarkable change of message and style from a great writer, kbois.  It is an interesting and logical parable with a deep, thought-provoking lesson. The message, that there is no god, will trouble some.  Others may understand and appreciate the lesson, that belief in god limits the free will of humans, and use it to throw off the mantle of pain and guilt instilled by religious beliefs since childhood.  I agree with others.  This should be read by all!

Response from the author:

Thanks Raven!

I wanted to show the underrepresented side of the subject and do it in a way that wasn't confrontational. 

  • Love 7
Link to review
chris191070

   4 of 4 members found this review helpful 4 / 4 members

@kbois has done it again. She has written a truly remarkable piece, that features loss and how it is overcome, by a meaningful discussion.

A wonderful addition to this year's anthology.

Response from the author:

Thanks, Chris. I hope it does inspire some meaningful discussions. 

  • Love 7
Link to review
centexhairysub

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

A really interesting take on a subject that is hard for people to find common ground on.  The writing is excellent as always; and the character development was first rate.

Really enjoyed this short story and the perspective it presented.

Well Done.

Response from the author:

I always appreciate your feedback. Knowing you don't pull any punches when it comes to reviews makes your thoughts even more valued. 

  • Love 5
Link to review
Gary L

   2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

This is a leap of faith in a v different direction to what one might have thought.   The story is, of course, beautifully written as one has come to expect of this highly competent author, but this time I feel the author has put themselves “out there”, out of their comfort zone, and allowed true feelings to emerge.  It reads like a cross between a story and an essay.  
Im not sure that I “enjoyed” it but it has got me thinking, a lot.  And for that I truly thank this great author. X

Response from the author:

I feel like most of my stories put me out of my comfort zone. I really don't think of myself as a writer. This is something I do for fun. That said, sometimes writing becomes cathartic and this is one is definitely me and some of my thoughts on how I drifted away from the beliefs I grew up up. (I swear this site is a modern day confessional)

  • Love 3
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..