Jump to content
    kuragari129
  • Author
  • 2,159 Words
  • 2,388 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Where Life Takes Us - 10. Chapter 10 - Scars

The meeting that every adopted child wants to happen... in their own time.

Weeks had gone by since Grandpa Nicholas' news. The surgery was successful, and he had started chemotherapy. Talon and Wyatt had been to every one they were allowed to go to.

Wyatt had even had a conversation with Diana and Kenneth. He told them that he still felt something missing in their home. They offered their encouraging words and said if he needed anything just to say something.

Caitlyn had been listening to the conversation and decided she would do something for her older brother. She had a project coming up on her favourite family member, so she decided to change it up a bit by making it her newest family member.

Luckily for the high school students they had a day off the day of Caitlyn presentation. Her class was using the auditorium and was allowed to bring any of their family members to the school for the presentations.

When she got up on stage, she looked out and spoke clearly, “I decided to do my project a little differently. The criteria was to do it on your favourite family member, but I couldn't decide. So I went with something else: My newest family member.”

Wyatt looked over at his mom, “What!?”

“Shh, just listen.”

Caitlyn smiled. “See, my parents decided to adopt my brother Wyatt just over a year ago. I overheard him saying he felt something missing, so I thought I would do my project on him. That and I wanted to get to know him better.

“So for the past few weeks I have been hassling him with random questions without him knowing what was going on.” The audience laugh as Wyatt blushed. “I learned his favourite subject is science cause he loves chemistry. His favourite food is Butter chicken cause he loves spicy food, and LOVES chicken

“But I think what I found the most interesting about my brother Wyatt was that when ever I bugged him he would answer all my questions. I love how patient he is. He reminds me of my Grandpa Nicholas who was also adopted.

“He would always ask me 'why are you asking me ridiculous questions then writing down the answers?'” Wyatt rolled his eyes as Caitlyn tried to mimic his voice. “I would always answer the same, 'I'm researching you!' then run away.” Once again the audience laughed

“Every time I would come back, it would be the same. Random ridiculous questions and then me running away. He would always answer them honestly though. Even questions like, 'What's your favourite Asian country?'

“Basically what I'm saying is that my brother Wyatt is special to me, now more than ever. I know if I need someone to talk to I have him. He might be 'new,'” She even did the quotation marks, “but I love him just as much as any of my other siblings.”

With that Caitlyn bowed and made her way off stage. Wyatt met her in the isle of the seats. “All those questions for this?”

“I had to make sure you didn't catch on to what I was up to!” Caitlyn smiled, “So how is that 'something missing'?”

Wyatt smiled, “I think it's filled a bit more, thank you.”

“Anytime big bro!”

Slowly everyone had given Wyatt a little something. Kayla ended up apologizing for her behaviour in the beginning. Wyatt also forced Diana and Kenneth to take some of his money he has obtained and go out for dinner. They reluctantly took his money, but didn't spend it.

 

A few more weeks passed in the Luis household. Thanksgiving and Halloween came and passed, all was calm in The Luis household. That is until there was a knock at the door.

It was Talon who answered it. As he opened the door he said, “Hello, how can I help you?” out of reflex.

“We are looking for Wyatt Luis.” Talon looked at the pair. The couple appeared to be in their early thirties.

The male was taller, only by a few inches. His dirty blonde hair neatly brushed. The woman was shorter, with brown hair. Both had brown eyes, both looked familiar some how.

“Wyatt is at his friends right now. Can I take a message?”

Diana called from the kitchen, “Talon who's at the door?”

“It's...” Talon called back, “wait ya... Who are you?”

The male responded, “We are Wyatt's birth parents.”

Talon looked at them once and he knew they were right. Only they could produce the one he called his older brother. “One moment.”

Talon ran to his mom shock written all over his face, “Mom... Uhhh door?”

“Who is it?” Diana turned around. “Talon, you look like you've seen a ghost.”

“I'm just a little stunned is all.” Talon shook his head.

“Well who's at the door?” Talon thought of how he could say it gently, “Talon!”

“Okay, Okay!” Talon waved his hands in defeat. “Apparently Wyatt's birth parents?”

Diana rushed to see the door. She saw exactly what Talon saw, two people who were undeniably Wyatt's parents. “Why don't you two come in. It's chilly out today.” Her facade of kindness was one only Talon, of the three who saw, could see through.

Once the two guests were sitting awkwardly in the kitchen Diana started her investigation. “So what bring you to our home?”

Wyatt's mother answered, “You can call us Vivian and Bran, if that makes you more comfortable” Diana smiled. She continued, “Well to be honest we came here to see Wyatt.”

“Don't mind my bluntness, but why?”

“Ma'am,” Bran spoke, “we did not come here to take him away from you.”

Diana nodded. “That would be illegal.”

“Yes, we only came here to see what our little boy has become.”

Diana shook her head. “And you found out he was here how?”

Vivian sighed, “It was actually a misunderstanding between us and the orphanage.” Diana's left eyebrow raised. “Not the adoption... just how we found out.

“See we have went back to the orphanage a few times and looked over all the children but couldn't get a chance to talk to Wyatt. This time though, when we went he wasn't there and so when we asked about it, the lady mentioned the Luis family had adopted him.”

Diana nodded her head. “Ahh, and then you went to a phone book and found us.”

Bran chuckled. “We had a few awkward meetings before this though.”

Diana sighed. “Now... here's the hard part. How am I going to explain this to my son? That just as he's getting comfortable around here, his birth parents have shown up out of nowhere.”

“We're sorry if we caused you problems, Mrs. Luis.”

“Problems!? I now have to tell him exactly what you told me. That you were present in his life without him knowing. How is that fair to Wyatt at all?”

Just as she finished the door closed and a voice was heard from the entrance way. “I'm home. Is everything okay?” It was Wyatt.

Diana closed and rubbed her eyes. “Wyatt, could you come to the kitchen please?”

Slowly Wyatt made his way to the kitchen, “Ya, what...”He stopped mid sentence. “Oh, I didn't know you had company...”

“I don't.” Wyatt looked at Diana confused, “You do. Meet your birth parents.” Diana threw her hands up in the air and returned to the dishes.

 

From Wyatt's Notes:

Wait so... these people...who I've seen before at the orphanage... are my parents? They came by every so often. I always thought they were investors. Or at least people coming for the investors.

But no.. I've seen them since I was young and these are my parents!? I have no idea if I should be happy, mad or some other emotion, but currently I'm confused.

When I got introduced, they acted like everything was fine. They gave me a simple, “Oh Wyatt we've missed you!” thing. They even tried to hug me.

I stepped back though. I didn't know where to look. Diana was furiously washing dishes, Talon was in the corner being shy and there was my 'mom' and 'dad' acting like nothing was wrong.

I just closed my eyes and shook my head. “Why are you here?” I asked them.

“We wanted to see you,” My 'mother' responded.

I might have yelled at them. “Then why am I here!? Why am I not at your home with you!?”

It must have caught them off guard. They looked over at Diana for support or something. She grunted. “He has every right to be angry with you.”

“We couldn't properly take care of you...” 'Dad' explained.

“What do I even call you!?” They went back to being silent. “I can't call you 'Mom' and 'Dad'! I don't even feel comfortable calling Diana and Kenneth such names!”

“You could call us Bran and Vivian, Son.” Bran answered.

I shook my head, “No, you have no right calling me that!” I was hyperventilating. I looked over at Diana and stated, “I'm going over to Grandpa Nicholas'. Text me when dinner's ready please,” and I stormed out.

Diana didn't stop me. My 'parents' were too confused about the situation to know what the fuck was going on. That's how you know I'm mad. I just swore. When do I ever swear? Seriously how can this get any worse?

 

Diana stopped washing the dishes and looked at Talon. “Go to your room please.”

“Can I go with...”

Diana cut him off. “No, not right now.” Talon quickly made his way out of the kitchen. There was no fighting with his mother right now. “And you two, how did you expect this to go smoothly?”

Bran spoke, “We thought he would have liked to know his parents were always watching him. We collectively thought this.”

“That would be fine in one of two situations. One was that you were dead, the other is you told him when he was young. Not at age fourteen, almost fifteen, when he is a hormone raging teenager. On top of school and trying to get comfortable in our home he has you two saying 'Hello, we're your parents'. Do you have any idea how confused he is right now!?

They were silent. “Of course you don't. You look to be in your early thirties. You're probably high school sweethearts who got knocked up and gave their baby away. Get out of my home! If I hear anything about you contacting Wyatt again I swear things will be a lot worse!”

They made their way out of the Luis home quickly.

Wyatt didn't even make it to Grandpa Nicholas' house before his tears started to fall. He was confused, not only in what he was just told but if he should even stay with the Luis' anymore. He ended up sitting in front of the deck not even trying to go inside.

After a few minutes of sitting there Grandpa Nicholas heard Wyatt from an open window of his living room. He made his way outside quietly. When he looked over the balcony he saw Wyatt with his knees up to his face.

He made his way down the steps. “What has Wyatt all upset?” He didn't move. “Come in, I'll make some hot chocolate.”

Clearly still crying Wyatt spoke, “But, hic, it's almost, hic, summer.”

“When your upset a good hot chocolate helps.” Wyatt got up and fallowed him into the house.

This wasn't the first time in Grandpa Nicholas' home. He saw his piano sitting in the corner. TV on to the news, and newspaper and coffee on the table next to “grandpa's chair”. He sat down on the couch and wrapped himself in the blanket that laid on the back.

In a few minutes a steaming hot cup of Grandpa's famous hot chocolate was in Wyatt's hands. He never told them but he added cinnamon to every cup. “Take your time, even if you don't tell me what's wrong. I do advise you tell someone, though.”

Wyatt took a couple of sips. For him it was the perfect temperature. After a few minutes Wyatt quietly said, “'They' showed up...”

“I'm sorry, Wyatt, you're going to need to repeat yourself.”

Wyatt shivered a bit. “'They' showed up,” he repeated louder.

Grandpa Nicholas nodded. “They, as in your 'parents'” Wyatt nodded. “Tell me as much as need to.”

Wyatt spent the next hour telling him on and off what happened and how he felt. Grandpa Nicholas even made them their own dinner. Wyatt spent most of his night there and skipped the next day of school due to the stress going on inside his head.

When ever he felt stressed out he went right to Grandpa Nicholas and vented. He was patient in letting Wyatt express everything he needed to. To say Wyatt was home from school for the rest of the week, which was only two days, would be very, very true.

Chapter end

Meet Wyatt's parents! We're half way through the story now! More is coming I promise!
Copyright 2013 Kuragari129; All Rights Reserved!
  • Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..