Jump to content
    kuragari129
  • Author
  • 1,640 Words
  • 1,928 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Where Life Takes Us - 12. Chapter 12 - Someday I'll be Saturday Night

With Owen's living situation up in the air, where will it land? His friends try and help with that landing.

Detective Brodie arrived at the Luis household shortly after six pm. They made their way the the front door, and Detective Brodie knocked on the door. It was only a couple of moments until Diana answered the door. “Hello Owen. Why don't you put your things in the guest room and meet us in the kitchen?” Owen nodded and made his way to the guest room.

Diana lead the Detective to the kitchen and patiently waited for Owen's return. Brodie didn't have that kind of patience and began to describe the situation to both Kenneth and Diana.

Brodie was correct to start the conversation without Owen. His stress levels were so high he ended up on the bed in tears. With uncontrollable tears flowing down, he didn't want anyone to see him, especially Wyatt or Talon.

Spending almost half an hour alone, Owen finally started heading towards the kitchen meeting Brodie, who was on his way out. “I have explained everything to Mr. and Mrs. Luis. I will be returning tomorrow after school. I have advised them to keep you out of school for the time being.”

“Thank you, sir,” Owen said looking at the ground.

Brodie knelled down to look at the boy's eyes. “You'll be fine, son. Your father may not be, but you will.” Owen nodded. “Get some rest. I'll see you tomorrow.” With that Detective Brodie made his way out of the home.

Owen continued on his way to the kitchen. He was met with two sympathetic looks from his friends' parents. “Are you going to tell Talon or Wyatt?”

Diana shook her head. Kenneth spoke, “We would never think of it. It's up to you to tell your friends why you're suddenly staying at their house.”

“Thank you, Mr. Luis.” Owen returned to his room and fell asleep.

 

Over the next few months, between school and talking to some lawyer or another, Owen was busy. He had told all of his friends what happened a few days after he had given his statement to the police. They knew what was going on and were very careful to not bug him about it.

His fathers court case fell just after the last day of school. Some of Josh Grant's money was being sent to the Luis', as requested by Josh himself. Josh was found guilty of all charges and ended up facing twenty years in jail. Owen was at the final court hearing to hear the sentence.

Meanwhile Meagan was trying to organize something. “So guys, where is Owen gonna go now? I mean, school is done, so he could go anywhere.”

Everyone was in attendance. Wyatt and Talon hosted, Meagan lead and Zaine, Brett, Alex and Dante listened.

“He could stay with us till graduation.” Talon suggested.

Wyatt shook his head, “I don't think Mom and Dad would be okay with that.” Everyone looked at him, “What?”

Alex smiled, “You just called Mr. And Mrs. Luis, Mom and Dad.”

Wyatt thought about it for a moment. “Hmm, I guess I did. Anyway, the focus is Owen. They already have four kids and the funds from Mr. Grant wont stay active forever.”

Zaine nodded. “He's right. We need to find a place for him.”

“My mom might...” Alex started.

Brett shook his head. “Part of the reason you're with your dad is that she doesn't have enough money. She wouldn't be able to do it.”

“Okay, does anyone think their parents might be able to take Owen in.” Meagan asked, no one answered. “See, so why think of it at all.”

“Actually...” Zaine started.

Wyatt shot him a dirty look. “No. That's final.”

 

From Wyatt's Notes:

I knew the moment 'they' were mentioned it would turn to it. My 'parents' were the last place I wanted to send Owen. It would mean that I would have a connection to them. It would mean that I would have to see them or worse... talk to them again.

Then Meagan spoke up, “What if I spoke with them?”

I shook my head. “It's not happening. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.”

Dante spoke for the first time. “But that might just be our best bet. Even if 'they' are dumb asses.”

I looked at everyone. They were all in agreement. I was the only one who didn't want this to happen. It was something... I don't know. It just didn't feel right.

“I will do everything,” Meagan assured me. “I will do everything needed. I wont mention you besides that I'm your friend.”

I grumbled into agreement. “Great that's settled! Lets play some games!” Brett jumped up and dashed to the TV. Hyper kid...

 

So Meagan went on a mission. She had a few problems to deal with though. The first, and most important, was Owen. If he didn't want to stay with Wyatt's birth parents then the odds of him staying in town was low.

The second was getting into contact with them. She managed to sneak around and find Wyatt's adoption papers. She got the names put it back exactly where she found it and quickly left before being caught.

It was a few days after when she got the time to look up their info. She found her family's phone book and looked for the Fouse household. Finding their name and their address she went on her way to find them.

The house was only a few blocks away from her home but it took a while to find. When she did though she went up and confidently knocked on the front door. A woman answered, “Hello, how may I help you?”

“Is this the home of Vivian and Bran Fouse?” Meagan asked with a smile on her face.

The lady smiled. “Yes it is. I am Vivian. And you are...?”

“My name is Meagan Freedmin; I am a friend of Wyatt's.” Vivian seamed to brighten up as she continued. “I am not here to talk to you about Wyatt. It's one of his friends.”

“I'm sorry honey, Wyatt doesn't live with us. We put him up for adoption shortly after he was born.”

“I know, but that is what makes it so perfect.” Vivian was very confused. “Owen Grant has no place to stay in town right now. He is currently living with the Luis', but seeing as the school year has come to an end, he'll more than likely be moving somewhere else soon.

“I came here to ask of you something that will a little hard to handle at first. I was wondering, if Owen wanted to, if you would take him in.”

Vivian looked at the young woman standing in front of her. “Come in, dear, if you have time.”

Meagan happily went into the home. She had to retell the story to Bran. Once he had heard the story, Meagan was sent on her way home for the couple to talk. Now it was time for Meagan to talk to Owen.

 

From Meagan's Notes:

I gotta say, talking to strangers seems to be allot easier than talking to my friends. I mean, talking to Vivian and Bran I was allot less nervous than talking to Owen.

It was just a regular afternoon that I went over to Wyatt and Talon's house. I knew they had gone to soccer practice and Owen was there practically by himself. What he didn't know was that I let myself in and went to his room.

Gotta say, little awkward waking him up at one pm. I'm not a morning girl, but I'm awake before noon. When he opened his door he was in his boxers and blushed when he saw me.

“Give me a sec.” was all he said as he closed his door. He opened it back up with shorts on, “What's up?”

“I have to talk to you.” I was nervously happy about this for some reason.

“About?”

I walked out into the kitchen. “Your living situation.”

He sat down in front of me. “Why do we have to talk about that? How are you concerned with that?”

“I'm your friend, and I'm trying to get you to stay with all of us.”

Owen rolled his eyes. “Go on.” So I explained everything to him. Like EVERYTHING! Afterwards, he looked at me and asked, “Okay... a few things.”

And so our conversation went as fallows:

“I know we should have talked to you first.”

Owen huffed, “Uhhh ya! Secondly how does Wyatt feel about this?”

“He doesn't like it one bit.”

“And you're still doing it?”

“He said I could. He still doesn't like it though.”

“And what have they said about the whole thing?”

“Nothing.”

“I'm guessing you haven't talked to anyone else?”

“Nope!”

Owen shook his head. “Typical Meagan...”

“Oh come one, you love me!”

“What am I to do? I have family in the area.”

“But you wont go to our school anymore.”

“I will still be able to hang out with you guys.”

“It's not the same.”

He huffed. I could tell he had made a decision, “I'm not doing it.”

“Why not?”

“I am not putting Wyatt in that place. End of story, we're done.”

“Come on, Owen.”

“I said I'm done.” And he walked off. I gotta say not the best conversation I've ever had, but it wasn't the worst. That one goes to telling my mom I broke my sister's arm... on purpose.

 

Meagan informed Vivian and Bran of the news. They seemed relieved. In her attempts to keep Owen around she overlooked only one detail: Owen.

Owen left the Luis home to live with his Aunt and Uncle. They lived right beside another highschool and were not paying for transportation to his old school. Still in distance to visit his friends though.

 

Chapter end.

Owen's landed with his Aunt and Uncle. This wont be the last of Owen, I promise!
Copyright 2013 Kuragari129; All Rights Reserved!
  • Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Sad 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I am really enjoying this story. I hadn't seen it before this. I think you do a great job of bringing out the experience of being adopted. I am not, but I would think you hit a lot of the issues you'd face or feelings you'd have on the head. I think it also shows what good people can do in adopting.

I love the characters you've created and you do an awesome job of developing them. They really are a great cast. You can't help but love them all. the only one that could have been developed a bit better would be Owen. But only in one aspect. I'd have liked to see you explain the effects of his father's behavior on his life day to day. How did it contribute to his being left behind in school, what was he exposed to, such as less than savory people coming to his house at odd hours maybe, the effects of getting high on him...things like that. It's just something I'd have loved to see you go a bit further into b/c you do a great job of bringing the experience to life and making people think.

You do a great job of showing the teenage angst, though so far, these kids haven't put up with any bullying that we know of. But, they are dealing with their sexuality and their home lives.

I can't believe those birth parents showing up when they did, mainly b/c they could have presented themselves any time in the past. I think it is sweet that they cared about him enough to check up and I really want to hear their side. I think they were afraid though, when he didn't have a family, that he'd expect them to take him back. I think they'd hoped he'd be settled in now and it wouldn't put them in that position. They could get to know him and not feel bad that they weren't going to take him in. It seems like a selfish move. I would like to hear what they were thinking.

Again, great story you have going here. I am interested to see what happens with the relationships brewing. I am interested to see whether you will deal with the feelings that Talon and Wyatt have for one another which aren't as brotherly. It wouldn't be odd given they say siblings sometimes experiment when they are blood related. I am not sure if it is true but I have heard that. Anyway, keep posting!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/06/2015 08:12 PM, Cannd said:
I am really enjoying this story. I hadn't seen it before this. I think you do a great job of bringing out the experience of being adopted. I am not, but I would think you hit a lot of the issues you'd face or feelings you'd have on the head. I think it also shows what good people can do in adopting.

I love the characters you've created and you do an awesome job of developing them. They really are a great cast. You can't help but love them all. the only one that could have been developed a bit better would be Owen. But only in one aspect. I'd have liked to see you explain the effects of his father's behavior on his life day to day. How did it contribute to his being left behind in school, what was he exposed to, such as less than savory people coming to his house at odd hours maybe, the effects of getting high on him...things like that. It's just something I'd have loved to see you go a bit further into b/c you do a great job of bringing the experience to life and making people think.

You do a great job of showing the teenage angst, though so far, these kids haven't put up with any bullying that we know of. But, they are dealing with their sexuality and their home lives.

I can't believe those birth parents showing up when they did, mainly b/c they could have presented themselves any time in the past. I think it is sweet that they cared about him enough to check up and I really want to hear their side. I think they were afraid though, when he didn't have a family, that he'd expect them to take him back. I think they'd hoped he'd be settled in now and it wouldn't put them in that position. They could get to know him and not feel bad that they weren't going to take him in. It seems like a selfish move. I would like to hear what they were thinking.

Again, great story you have going here. I am interested to see what happens with the relationships brewing. I am interested to see whether you will deal with the feelings that Talon and Wyatt have for one another which aren't as brotherly. It wouldn't be odd given they say siblings sometimes experiment when they are blood related. I am not sure if it is true but I have heard that. Anyway, keep posting!

Thank you very much for your compliments. Where Life Takes Us is a complete story and I don't plan on adding anything to it. I wrote this story between April 2013 and July 2014 and am having an editor look over it for me. Looking back, there are things I could have done with the story but I'm happy how it turned out in the end.

 

I'm glad you are enjoying the story so far! Kuragari129

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I couldn't really think of a more awkward situation. Approaching Wyatts birth parents was a dumb plan and I'm glad Owen didn't go for it. By the looks of things Bran and Vivian weren't too keen on the idea either. And it's not like Owen didn't have other family to go to, trying to get him taken in just to keep him at their school, ugh typical teenagers not really thinking things through. Meagan in particular just bulldozing over Wyatts feelings...insensitive much.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..