Jump to content
    kuragari129
  • Author
  • 1,565 Words
  • 1,920 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Where Life Takes Us - 19. Chapter 19 - Edge of Glory

With Wyatt being struck by a loss, friends and family are there to help him. Just he has been there to help them.

From Wyatt's Notes:

 

That night I didn't even realize how short the time was between when he passed away... and the last time I saw him. It was only a matter of hours.

I didn't dare move from that bed. I was hysterical and in no way in a good state of mind to move. I wanted someone though... I needed someone.

Diana was still on the phone, “Wyatt I need you to talk to me.” Her voice was so calm, so relaxed. She was staying strong for us.

I just hung up the phone. I couldn't handle it. I called Meagan in a full on sob. “Hey, Wyatt. What's up?” I said nothing just cried. In moments she spoke again, “I'm on my way over right now. I'll call Owen and Alex too.” She hung up.

I went over a few apps and started texting her. I sent her just one message – Grandpa's house.

She messaged me back – Okay, be there in a few.

 

A moment after that text Diana came into the room. “Don't hang up on me like that!”

I managed to speak through my sobs, “Sorry.”

She sat down on the bed and massaged my back. “It's fine. We are just worried about you. You are taking this the hardest, to be honest.”

I just lay there, saying nothing. It felt like forever before anything happened again. With a sound of marching feet I heard the door to the room open again.

Mom got up and walked away. “I'm going to take the will and the letters. Keep him company okay?”

“Of course!” Meagan sat down beside me on the bed. “Wyatt tell me what's going on in that head of yours?”

A simple response was all I had. “Chaos.”

“More details... I know you don't wanna talk about it but you gotta.”

She was right so I told them. I told Alex, Meagan and Owen everything. I went from balling to being okay to every mixed emotion I could possibly have. They sat there and listened the entire time. By the end I was speechless.

It was Owen who said something I will keep with me the rest of my life though. “I don't know about you guys but if I've learned anything from playing video games all the time it's this: When life gives us challenges or enemies, we're heading in the right direction. Why else would they put them there?”

“Who's they?” Alex looked at Owen.

Owen shrugged. “I don't know, I was trying to be smart.” That got a laugh out of me. “PROGRESS!!”

The rest of the time was just talking. I gotta give it to Owen. What he said... it's something I will never forget.

 

With Wyatt comforted by his friends, he stayed at home. Family members gathered for a funeral for Grandpa Nicholas.

Uncle Nick II and his family arrived the day after. Wendy, Fredrick and Daniel were all in emotional states. Irma was trying to keep it together for her children but wasn't able to for very long.

The maid, Jesse informed her family of the tragic event. Racheal told her mother to keep her posted on the date of the funeral. Leon gave his prayers to the family.

Even though a week had passed and many had tried, no one could get more than a few words out of Wyatt. He remained in his room behind a locked door.

That is until he came out and knocked on Kayla's door. She answered and was shocked. “Hey, Wyatt. What's up?”

“I need audio for an acoustic 'Edge of Glory' by Lady Gaga. I've heard you play it once or twice.”

“Okay...” She went to her computer and put the song on a USB, “Here you go, Wyatt.”

He took the usb and gave a slight smile. “Thank you, can I put other things on here as well? I don't have a usb handy right now.”

“Of course, give it back whenever you can.” Wyatt turned away. “Wyatt... are you okay?”

Wyatt stopped in his tracks. “I'm better... I just need to do something right now...” And then he continued on his way.

Wyatt made his way down to Kenneth's office. He knocked on the door. Kenneth answered, “Wyatt... what can I do for you?”

“I was wondering where I can get pictures of Grandpa Nicholas.”

It took a moment for Kenneth to think of where they were. “I have some on my computer. Most are in physical form in photo albums.”

“Could I get the ones on the computer on this USB, please?”

“Of course.” He gladly took the USB. “Talk to Mom for the albums. She'll know exactly where they are.”

Wyatt gathered his pictures and his music. He went to work. No one would know for certain what he was up to until the day of the funeral.

With a projector set up and a laptop connected to it. Wyatt got what he was working on set up.

Wyatt looked around the room. He could see everyone he wanted to be there, there. Alex and his mom, Meagan and family, he even wanted his birth parents and Owen.

Talon's friends were there with their families as well. Zaine, Brett and Dante were all gathered around Talon. They weren't saying much but the support was there in full force.

The funeral began, people shared stories about the old man. About how thoughtful and kind he was. About anything you could think of. And just when you would think the formalities were over the pastor stood up just one more time.

“There is a young boy amongst you today. One who made something he wished to share with everybody. Wyatt why don't you come up here?”

Wyatt stood and made his way to the computer. “I didn't know how else to show how much Grandpa Nicholas... So I made this.” The screen came up and the lights in the hall went dark.

Wyatt pressed play and watched his video play. It read:

 

In dedication to Grandpa Nicholas Luis, A loving and caring man who meant the world to me and many others.

 

Just as the song began pictures started popping up. Any 'good' picture in Wyatt's mind was put up. The first being a picture of the day Grandpa Nicholas was adopted by his parents.

 

There ain't no reason you and me should be alone
Tonight, yeah, baby! (Tonight, yeah, baby!)
And I got a reason that you're who should take me home tonight (Tonight)
I need a man that thinks it's right when it's so wrong
Tonight, yeah, baby! (Tonight, yeah, baby!)
Right on the limits where we know we both belong tonight

It's hard to feel the rush, to brush the dangerous
I'm gonna run right to, to the edge with you
Where we can both fall far in love

I'm on the edge of glory, and I'm hanging on a moment of truth
Out on the edge of glory, and I'm hanging on a moment with you
I'm on the edge, the edge, the edge, the edge, the edge, the edge, the edge,
I'm on the edge of glory, and I'm hanging on a moment with you
I'm on the edge with you.

Another shot before we kiss the other side
Tonight, yeah, baby! (Tonight, yeah, baby!)
I'm on the edge of something final we call life tonight
(Alright! Alright!)
Put on your shades, 'cause I'll be dancing in the flames
Tonight, yeah, baby! (Tonight, yeah, baby!)
It isn't hell if everybody knows my name tonight
(Alright! Alright!)

It's hard to feel the rush, to brush the dangerous
I'm gonna run right to, to the edge with you
Where we can both fall far in love

I'm on the edge of glory, and I'm hanging on a moment of truth
Out on the edge of glory, and I'm hanging on a moment with you
I'm on the edge, the edge, the edge, the edge, the edge, the edge, the edge,
I'm on the edge of glory, and I'm hanging on a moment with you
I'm on the edge with you.

I'm on the edge with you
I'm on the edge with you
(You, you, you...)

I'm on the edge of glory, and I'm hanging on a moment of truth
I'm on the edge of glory, and I'm hanging on a moment with you
I'm on the edge, the edge, the edge, the edge, the edge, the edge, the edge,
I'm on the edge of glory, and I'm hanging on a moment with you
I'm on the edge with you (with you, with you, with you, with you, with you)

 

The entire room was in tears from the video.

At the very end it showed a picture of Wyatt, Grandpa Nicholas, Owen, Meagan, and Alex. It was one from Wyatt's last birthday. Below it was a quote:

I don't know about you guys but if I've learned anything from playing video games all the time it's this: When life gives us challenges or enemies, we're heading in the right direction. Why else would they put them there? - Owen Grant

The room filled with applause. Wyatt, with tears in his eyes felt deep in his heart he had done his grandfather justice through this video he had made.

Chapter end.

For the exact version of Edge of Glory, fallow this link: www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GPu-2ytnyI

That is the audio I imagine for the video Wyatt made for Grandpa Nicholas.

Copyright 2013 Kuragari129; All Rights Reserved!
  • Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..