Jump to content
    kuragari129
  • Author
  • 1,253 Words
  • 1,793 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Where Life Takes Us - 20. Chapter 20 - Half of My Heart

Wyatt expresses his inner most emotions through music.

Months passed and grieving continued in the Luis household. Slowly but surely the home began to lighten up and return to the mood they usually lived in.

A school talent show came up and Wyatt decided to enter. The night Wyatt signed up, Kayla knocked on his door. “Wyatt, can I ask a favour of you?” He stared at his sister, “Can I join you in the talent show?”

Wyatt's smile grew from ear to ear. “Yes! What song should we do?”

“Well what song are you doing?”

Blushing, Wyatt replied, “'Half of my Heart' by John Mayer!”

The pair spent almost an hour trying to find a song that they agreed on. They suddenly at the same moment they spoke, “Broken!” It was decided, Seether's “Broken (Ft. Amy Lee) was their song to perform.

 

From Wyatt's Notes:

'I was born in the arms of imaginary friends
free to roam, made a home out of everywhere I've been'

'I was made to believe I'd never love somebody else
I made a plan, stay the man who can only love himself'

Those are just two lines of 'Half of My Heart' that spoke volumes to me. I was like that at the orphanage. The song itself speaks volumes about my relationship with Talon. I just had to sing it.

 

The day of the performance Wyatt was nervously waiting backstage. Kayla sat there preparing herself. Wyatt was announced onto the stage. “Welcome Wyatt Luis to the Stage!”

Wyatt walked in, his microphone in hand. The song began and Wyatt took in a deep breath. And out came his voice:

I was born in the arms of imaginary friends
free to roam, made a home out of everywhere I've been
then you come crashing in, like the realest thing
trying my best to understand all that your love can bring

Oh half of my heart's got a grip on the situation
half of my heart takes time
half of my heart's got a right mind to tell you
that I can't keep loving you (can't keep loving you)
oh, with half of my heart

Wyatt sang as the crowd cheered. His voice obviously inexperienced but filled with emotion. Only those who knew him personally understood his song choice, and only Talon fully understood.


I was made to believe I'd never love somebody else
I made a plan, stay the man who can only love himself
lonely was the song I sang, 'til the day you came
Showing me another way and all that my love can bring

Oh half of my heart's got a grip on the situation
half of my heart takes time
half of my heart's got a right mind to tell you
that I can't keep loving you (can't keep loving you)
oh, with half of my heart
with half of my heart

Your faith is strong
but I can only fall short for so long
Down the road, later on
you will hate that I never gave more to you than half of my heart
but I can't stop loving you
I can't stop loving you
but I can't stop loving you with half of my...

half of my heart
half of my heart

half of my heart's got a real good imagination
half of my heart's got you
half of my heart's got a right mind to tell you
that half of my heart won't do

half of my heart is a shotgun wedding to a bride with a paper ring
And half of my heart is the part of a man who's never truly loved anything

half of my heart

 

The crowd was cheering for him. He had a shy smile and blush on his cheeks. The music for the next song started and Wyatt took another breath.

 

I wanted you to know that I love the way you laugh
I wanna hold you high and steal your pain away
I keep your photograph and I know it serves me well
I wanna hold you high and steal your pain

'Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
And I don't feel right when you're gone away

You've gone away, you don't feel me here anymore.

The crowd was silent. Wyatt had a tear fall from his eye. His mind was racing back and forth from performing to Grandpa Nickolas.

When Kayla started to sing and walked on stage the crowd went wild again.


The worst is over now and we can breathe again
I wanna hold you high, you steal my pain away
There's so much left to learn, and no one left to fight
I wanna hold you high and steal your pain

'Cause I'm broken when I'm open
And I don't feel like I am strong enough
'Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
And I don't feel right when you're gone away

'Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
And I don't feel right when you're gone away

You've gone away
You don't feel me here anymore

 

Though Kayla and Wyatt didn't end up winning anything for the talent show, they both felt they had connected as siblings for the first time.

 

From Wyatt's Notes:

Singing with Kayla was awesome! It's the first time me and Kayla actually did something together. That wasn't the end of things, either.

When we got home that day Talon asked me to come to his room. When I entered his room I was met with his lips pressed against mine. Instead of moving away though I sank into the kiss.

Talon backed up and blushed. “Wyatt... I think I love you.” That was all he said.

I just nodded. “Same here... Like more than a brother, more like boyfriends.” Talon's blush grew deeper.

Talon's arms crossed and rocked back and forth, like a little school girl. “How are we going to tell Mom and Dad?”

I grabbed his wrist and dragged him to the living room. The entire time he was whispering, “Wyatt, no, we shouldn't!”

Mom and Dad were sitting in the kitchen. They noticed us come in but said nothing. Talon gave me a look. I nudged him and then he spoke, “Mom... Dad... I'm bi.”

They looked over lovingly. “Talon, we've had our speculations.” Dad answered. Talon's face looked like it was on fire. “More importantly, Wyatt is bi, what does that make you two?”

“Kenneth!” Mom snapped at him.

I shook my head. “I think I'm in love with Talon.”

Diana sighed and nodded. “Seen that coming, too.” She went on to explain mother's intuition and all that jazz. The final thing that was said, “We support you two and your relationship. You need to understand that it works even more awkward since you are brothers.”

Wyatt looked at me. “Well I'm not related by blood. I never did like the idea of marriage anyways.”

Talon looked over at me. “Marriage just sounds like a lot of wasted money.”

And that was that. We told Kayla and Caitlyn and they kinda got it. The news travelled around the family, so everyone knew. We kept to ourselves at school, only our closest friends new.

From that point on Talon and I were boyfriends and brothers. We were inseparable.

This all started that day Talon came in to the orphanage and changed my life. He says I owe him nothing... but it's simple, I owe him everything because to me, loving someone is everything I can do for them.

 

Chapter end.

You've got an epilogue heading your way as well. Where Life Takes Us isn't done quite yet! In the meantime here are links to versions of the songs I used in this chapter!

Half of My Heart: www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpTu85fsqCU

Broken: www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPC2Fp7IT7o

Copyright 2013 Kuragari129; All Rights Reserved!
  • Like 10
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

That went a lot better than I expected, Di and Ken get extra bonus votes for parents of the year.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..