Jump to content
    kuragari129
  • Author
  • 1,902 Words
  • 1,781 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Where Life Takes Us - 18. Chapter 18 - Say Something

One thing after another, but nothing could have prepared Wyatt for this

While Wyatt was at the hospital, Alex was hiding in his room from his parents. His father had come home drunk and struck him. A headache had surfaced and his ears were ringing.

From the living room he would hear his mother yelling at his dad. “You're drunk and you hit him! He's coming with me tonight and I'm filing for custody!”

“Fuck that, you bitch. You don't have the money to take care of him, let alone hire a lawyer!” His speech was slurred and his balance lost.

Mrs. Micheals arrived at the house with a police officer. The officer was standing between them as they spoke. “What do you know about my situation anymore? I am here for Alex and am not leaving without my boy.”

Mr. Micheals went to strike his ex-wife. The officer grabbed his arm and twisted it to his back. “Sir, you are not to strike anyone for any reason. Clearly you are intoxicated, for the safety of the boy I will allow your ex-wife to take your child.

“Ma'am go and get him. Wait for me by your car.” Mrs. Micheals wasted no time and made her way through the house.

Alex heard the footsteps and stared at the door. With a knock she entered. Alex jumped up and hugged his mother crying. “Alex... I'm going to take you home. You're never gonna come back here. We have to meet the officer by my car. Gather your things, I'll help you carry them if you need help.”

Alex nodded and gathered his things. As his mother had stated there was a police officer waiting for them. “Alex is your name?” he nodded “Alex I need to ask you few questions and take a couple of pictures. You think you could do that for me?” Again he nodded.

The officer gathered information for his report from Alex. He thanked him and his mother and wrote down contact information and was on his way.

Alex fell asleep as soon as his head hit his pillow. His mother spent most of the night stressing about the situation that had occurred.

 

The next day at school, everyone wondered where Alex was. When Wyatt and Meagan went to the office to ask his mom, they learned she wasn't at school either.

Meagan went out of the building and dialled Alex's number. It rang a few times before it was answered, “Ya?” It was Alex.

“Where are you? Why do you sound depressed?” Alex didn't answer. “Answer me Alex!”

“I'm at my moms.”

“We're coming over right now. Wyatt and I, I mean.” She hung up the phone before Alex could argue. “Come on Wyatt, we're skipping school.”

Meagan and Wyatt rushed themselves to Alex's mother's house. They arrived just after one pm and found themselves in Alex's room listening to his story.

 

From Wyatt's Note:

Alex explained everything that happened last night. “I got home late from hanging out with Owen. I guess my dad had been drinking while I was out. When I got home he started yelling at me and backhanded me.”

I felt sorry for him. “Alex, if we are gonna comfort you, you gotta tell us what he was yelling at you about.” I looked at him sympathetically.

He looked back at me. For a moment it looked like he was gonna run off. Then he closed his eyes and yelled, “He found the porn stash on my computer.”

I knew what happened as soon as he said it. His dad found out he was gay and got drunk to get it out of his head. It didn't work and when Alex got home he was in a drunken rage and took it out on his son.

Tears started falling down his cheeks. I took hold of him and let him cry into my chest. We stayed like this for almost an hour. He had stopped crying half way through but was still hiccupy.

Then it happened. He kissed me. I just stood there not doing anything. He realized this and stopped. “I'm sorry.” was all he said.

Meagan looked at us. “I'm gonna let you guys have a few moments to talk before I do my stuff.” She walked out.

Alex was about to say something before I interrupted him. “It's not you, it's me. I am into guys I swear... but someone else has my attention.”

“Talon?” I nodded. “He's your brother though...”

“I know... still, I just can't.” Alex looked more depressed then before. “I'm not saying your not awesome. You're super awesome! I'm just more interested in someone else right now.”

“I get it.” He nodded.

I gave him a hug, “Don't get to down about this. You're in a safe place and will find someone, I promise.” He gave me a gentle hug back. “I gotta get going though, I'm going to see my Grandpa in the hospital.”

“Tell him to get well soon, okay?” I smiled and nodded before I left. I really do mean everything I said to Alex. He's a cool kid. He'll find someone.

 

It happened suddenly. Everyone was doing the usual thing. The kids, at school. The parents, at work. A call to Kenneth Luis' office changed that though.

Kenneth answered his phone, “Hello, Kenneth Luis, how may I help you?”

“Yes, Mr. Luis, I am Dr. Markus. I'm calling on behalf of your father. He has been rushed into tests. He has had a seizure and may not have too much time left. I'm sorry sir.”

“I will be there as soon a I can. Thank you.” He hung up the phone and called his wife. “Diana, we need to get to the hospital right now!”

“What's wrong, dear?”

“My father may be on his death bed.”

You could hear the change in Diana's state of mind in her voice. “I'll go get the boys and Kayla. You get Caitlyn, I'll meet you at the hospital.” She hung up the phone and went on her way to get out of work.

Within an hour everyone was out of their schools and work and at the hospital. They waited in the hospital room for Grandpa Nickolas to return. He came back into the room, unconscious, about a half an hour after their arrival.

The family agreed that they would not go home until he either woke up or the 'unspoken' happened. Throughout the day and night everyone would walk around the hospital, staying close by. Wyatt never left the room.

At 9:53 pm he finally woke up. He opened his eyes and looked around. “It appears I've caused a fright.” The room went up in a fuss. “Calm down everyone, please.”

Everyone calmed down and waited. Grandpa Nickolas took his time to think. “Everyone, it seams like my time has come. Son, in my room in the top drawer is my will. With it are the letters to all my grandchildren. I want you to make sure they get them.”

“Of course I will. Nick and Irma will be on their way here tomorrow. They arrive tomorrow night. You should hand the letters to them.”

A doctor came into the room. “I'm afraid there might not be enough time. Mr. Luis how do you feel right now?”

“Very tired, almost passing out.”

The doctor nodded. “The cancer is booming and it's attacking the brain. He has a week at the very most.”

Wyatt looked at the man he's called grandpa for the past three years. His gaze was met by that man. They had an unspoken conversation then and there.

“Could I have a moment alone with Grandpa Nickolas?” Everyone looked over at Wyatt. “Please?”

Everyone nodded. The room was silent until Grandpa Nickolas spoke. “What's going on in your head?”

“YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO DIE!” Wyatt screamed. He was sure everyone in outside heard him clearly. “You're not allowed.”

The sick elderly man patted his bed. Wyatt moved over and sat beside him. “I agree with you there buddy. I'm not allowed to die. It's happening though and there is nothing we can do in time. I apologize that it's come down to this, buddy.

“Your young life is so similar to mine. Adopted just before becoming a teen, getting a loving family, and finding a role model to look up to. Wyatt you will always have a special place in my heart, right beside my late wife. I see so much of myself in you.”

Wyatt and Grandpa Nickolas both had tears running down their cheeks. “I love you, Grandpa.” Wyatt gave him a tight hug. Even though he was in pain from it, he endured it for the young teen in front of him.

“Go home and have a rest, okay Wyatt?” Wyatt nodded, “I'll see you tomorrow.” Wyatt got up and walked out of the room. After a brief conversation Diana drove the very exhausted Wyatt home.

When Wyatt got home he made his way to his grandfather's house. He went inside and found his way to the main bedroom. He found the drawer holding the letters and found the one labelled, 'Wyatt'.

Wyatt lay on the bed and read his letter.

 

Wyatt... What can I say about you? From the moment I met you in that orphanage I knew you were a great kid. What I didn't know is how much you would light my world up.

What I never told you was I never felt truly happy since my late wife passed away. Until you came home. I felt like I had a new reason to live, to mentor you in how to handle an adopted family.

You gave me a new light in my life and I would like to thank your for that. It's like god sent Talon that day to find you, not just for himself but for the family.

I've seen the entire family change because of you. Talon came out of his shell, Kayla stopped arguing with her mother, Caitlyn well she stayed the same.

I've had countless conversations about you with Kenneth and Diana, Mom and Dad. They always were worried about you, just like you were their blood. They love you as much as anyone else in that crowded house.

Don't let this get you down. I might be gone, or on my way, and I know I will leave a hole in your heart you'll think you wont be able to fill. Trust me when I say this: Life doesn't end here.

Get up and find something or someone to live for. If not for yourself, for me. You are a very special boy and will make someone very happy someday. Don't waste your life over me. I'll be with you till it's your time and then we'll have a couple of drinks together.

I promise I'll watch over you till the bitter end.

Grandpa Nickolas.

 

From Wyatt's Notes:

I lay on his bed, balling my eyes out as I read the letter. I fell asleep there shortly after.

I awoke to my phone ringing. I sat up and looked at the phone. It was Mom, “Hey.” I was sleepy, but not for long.

“Wyatt get home... He's gone.” The phone dropped out of my hands. I could still hear her. “Wyatt, are you okay?”

No... No I most definitely was not.

 

Chapter End.

2 chapters left.. I don't really know what else to say, this chapter ends on to sad of a point.
Copyright 2013 Kuragari129; All Rights Reserved!
  • Like 8
  • Sad 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

So much sadness in this chapter. I hope Wyatt will find some comfort in Grandpas' letter.

I'm worried also about his "relationship" with Talon. His mom and dad maybe ok with his sexuality but it will be difficult for them to accept this' Gay or straight, blood or adopted, incest is still a taboo that most frown upon.Personally, I don't pass judgement, not my place. Enough people judge me for who I chose to love being gay and all, I'm not about to become like them.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..