Jump to content
    lomax61
  • Author
  • 3,341 Words
  • 2,805 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
Although the characters are taken from my other stories, this can read as a standalone. 

Search the Skies on Christmas Eve - 2. Kieran & Kennedy

Kennedy joins the rest of the group as they chat over breakfast.
Characters originally from: Companion Required

Kieran & Kennedy

Kennedy Grey stood on the small hillock astonished at the beauty of the lodge and loch, the perfect coming together of man and nature. Finding this incredible viewpoint had been a bonus because up here he could finally get a strong satellite signal, and now waited for one of his work colleagues to answer his damned phone.

To say he had been impressed with the structure would be the understatement of the century. In the email invitation, Rudy had mentioned nothing about where they would be staying, and Kennedy assumed they would be housed in the grandiose chambers of Mortimer House again. So when Rudy’s father’s driver had picked them up from the rural Oban airport near North Connel and pulled up outside the lodge, at first Kennedy had been puzzled, before being pleasantly surprised.

During dinner at the big house later that night, Rudy’s father mentioned the name of the architect, one Kennedy had neither known nor remembered. But standing there now, he could understand what Mortimer senior meant, how the original building had been enlarged and extended skilfully into the shape of a Celtic Cross. On an outcrop overseeing the loch, a circular communal living area sat slightly raised above ground level with huge floor to ceiling windows. Three bedrooms on the floor above had balconies overlooking the panorama. The rest of the building comprising bedrooms and bathrooms had a more traditional look and feel, but had clearly been modernised faithful to the original design, culminating at the far end in a large kitchen.

Against his ear, a familiar voice sounded from the phone.

Sloan Will— Oh, hi Kennedy. What’s up?”

Kennedy could almost see Sloan, the way he held his Smartphone flat, talking into the microphone end, as though taking a bite from a bar of chocolate.

“Nothing’s up. Just checking in. Has the office party started yet?”

“Not sure what time zone you think you’re in, but it’s ten-past-nine in the morning down here.”

“And your point being?”

“We’ll wait until more people arrive before popping the first cork. How’s it up there in Alba, land of Rob Roy and the Celts?”

“Cold as all hell, but savagely beautiful.”

“Sounds like my first wife.”

Kennedy chuckled steam into the air. They would never have joked together in the past. Sloan was Kennedy’s COO and a couple of times had tried—unsuccessfully—to outsmart Kennedy. But they eventually settled their differences with Sloan working out of Los Angeles with his own father-in-law, Kennedy’s opposite number and silent partner of the new merged company. Thrice married Sloan had flown back to the UK this year with his new wife, to visit his kids who lived with his second wife. Good looking Sloan had once quipped to Kennedy that if only he had been gay, life would be so much easier. Of course, there was no way Kennedy was letting him get away with such a throwaway and frankly inaccurate remark.

“Are you still okay with what we discussed?”

“Why wouldn’t I be? The questions is, in the cold-as-all-hell light of day, are you?”

Kennedy snorted. One thing about Sloan. He had always kept Kennedy on his toes. No beating around the bush with Sloan around, which was why Kennedy hired him.

Five years ago, Kennedy Grey would have been proud to accept an award as the meanest bastard on the planet. Hard work and staying ahead of the game came first. Full stop. Everything else came second. Even his boyfriend at the time. And if anyone decided to mess with that earlier version of himself—like Sloan had tried and failed—then they needed to bring something better than their very best game. But Kennedy’s priorities had altered, his life transformed when he fell heavily and uncharacteristically for Kieran West. Since then, after marrying, and with the arrival of their twin boys by surrogacy, everything had changed. And Kennedy finally felt alive.

“Needed some time to digest, but yes, I am more than fine. And the timing’s perfect, as ever. So let’s start the ball rolling. Can you give Karl the head’s up, so him and the US team can begin talking strategies for the new year?”

“If I must.”

Sloan and Karl McDonagh did not get along. Karl had been Kennedy’s hire and nothing got past the man. Above all, Karl remained fiercely loyal to Kennedy and took no crap from Sloan.

“I’ll let you go, then. Have a relaxing Christmas. My guess is you’re going to need it. And send your better half, Mary-Anne, my love.”

“Will do. Same to you. Going to be an interesting year next year.”

“It most certainly is.”

Thumbing off the call, Kennedy made out the distinctive bark of Ed echoing around the hills, and grinned to see Kieran and their hosts ambling back of the lodge. Over the past few years, they had made some unlikely but firm friends. Chatting amiably, none of them had spotted him, so he stood watching them.

Flying up to Loch Arkaig bordered on madness. But so many things felt right about the decision. Which is why he and Kieran arrived a day earlier, to spend time with Rudy and Trevor. Ever since their wedding arranged by Rudy’s family in Scotland and catered by Marcus Vine’s team, they had both had wanted to return to Scotland to thank the Mortimers again and, more importantly, to really take in the beauty of the surrounds without the stress of a wedding. So when Kieran told him Marcus would be coming, too, Kennedy moved heaven and earth to get them there.

Okay, yes, so hiring a private jet had been indulgent—Sloan’s suggestion—but once sorted everything else had fallen into place. One small problem had been Ed, their dog. Coming over from Singapore, his mother and father had been happy to look after the boys at their London house for a couple of nights, but his mother drew the line at Ed. She suggested putting him into a local kennel. Ed had been a rescue and Kieran knew he would be miserable, so insisted he come with them. And who was Kennedy to argue? He had learnt that lesson a long time ago. Fortunately, in the private jet, this had not been an issue. More importantly, with Oban airport only a ninety minutes’ drive away, they would all be home for Christmas Day lunch. A win-win all round.

After checking his phone again for messages and finding none, he began to weave his way down to the lodge. Something about the pure air made him feel energised and clear-headed and, yes, hungry. They had decided on the stroll after only a morning cup of coffee. Kieran wanted to walk Ed and the boys wanted time to scavenge for more natural decoration.

At some point, Kennedy knew he needed to have a conversation with Kieran about what he had just agreed with Sloan, which would affect them both. But for now, he would let them enjoy the simple coming together of Christmas.

After removing his boots in the ante room, Kennedy entered the kitchen to find the others sat quietly at the table. Rudy talked loudly holding his Smartphone to his ear with one hand, the other covering his free ear, as though having difficulty hearing the caller.

“No, I said that’s brilliant, Nathan. Absolutely. We have an extra room next door with a wee single bed. Or if necessary, we can move the bed into their bedroom, keep them all together. Plenty of room. No, of course it’s not a problem.”

Like in a silent movie, Trevor held up the coffee pot, and Kennedy nodded. Sitting next to Kieran, who had his hands clamped around a mug, Kennedy peered quizzically but Kieran simply shrugged, none the wiser. Eventually, Rudy ended the call.

“That’s Nathan calling from the road. Apparently the doctor, Stephen, and his partner Anton are already on their way. Coming up from Stephen’s sister’s house in Beaconsfield. So they’ll be here between six and seven tonight.”

“They’re driving?” said Kieran. “That’s a hell of a long way.”

“Around ten to eleven hours. Which is why they set off really early. But they wanted Nathan to ask us if it’s okay to bring their newly adopted son with them. From what I could tell, they’d planned to leave him with the sister while they came to visit—nothing had been agreed, they just thought the arrangement might work—but for one reason or another that wasn’t possible. So they have a youngster in tow. Good job we cleaned out the single room.”

Kennedy wondered briefly what might be wrong with the kid, to not be parted from his parents for a couple of nights. But quickly reassessed, remembering how hard he had found leaving their own boys, Link and Clint, behind.

“Aren’t Jaymes and Nathan driving, too?” asked Kieran, oblivious to Kennedy’s thoughts.

“Yes, but they set off yesterday with their friends from Oxford. Broke the trip up by spending last night in a hotel in Alston, which I think is in Cumbria. They’ll be here around two.”

“And Marcus and Tom are already up here in Glencoe,” interrupted Rudy, checking his watch. “In fact, they should be here by now. Hope nothing’s happened. Marcus is bringing all the food. Hell’s bells, I’d better give them a ring after breakfast.”

Kieran finished off chatting to Trevor while Rudy set about preparing breakfast. Kennedy felt in the way, so decided to take his mug of coffee and retire to the living space, to stand alone at the semi-circular floor-to-ceiling windows. Yesterday, he had marvelled at the room, with the open fireplace in the centre covered by an aluminium hood, surrounded by a crescent of comfortable sofas. In all honestly, the interior with its tired wooden panelling and scratched and scarred oak floors needed a makeover. But the whole setting with the view beyond was amazing, and felt incredibly therapeutic. As he stood there, staring out at the view, he heard soft footfalls combined with the telltale clip-clip-clip of Ed’s paws on the wooden floorboards.

“We’ve been banished from the kitchen while they knock up breakfast.”

Kieran stepped next to Kennedy, kissed him on the neck, and wrapped an arm around his waist, following his lover’s gaze out the window. Ed came and stood between them, staring outside, too.

“Look out there. Incredible, isn’t it? I wish we could have brought the boys to see this place. I’m sure they’d have loved it.”

“Maybe. But honestly, they’re probably too young to appreciate or remember this kind of thing right now. Ed’s enjoying himself, though. Almost caught a rabbit this morning. Maybe we’ll return when the boys are older. I’ve a feeling Rudy and Trevor are going to be in our lives for a long time.”

“Except his father’s selling this place.”

Kieran turned to look quizzically at Kennedy.

“Is he?”

“That’s what he told me last night at dinner. Something to do with him offloading their property holdings and retiring from the whisky business. He’s seventy-one, can you believe? He wants to take his wife travelling while they’ve still got their health. Offered the lodge to Rudy, but only if he planned to return to live back up here. And we all know Rudy and Trevor are happy with their life together in London. So they’ll sell the properties and the money will be put into trust for the Mortimer sons.”

“What a shame. Who’ll take over the whisky business?”

“Ivan. The older son. Makes perfect sense. He’s been working alongside his father all these years. Rudy helps out every now and then, but it’s not his passion.”

“Maybe whoever buys this place will advertise on Airbnb. And then we can still bring the boys back here one day.”

Even if wasn’t something they shared, Kennedy loved Kieran’s blind optimism. Most likely, a corporate hotel chain would jump in and turn the place into a small exclusive hotel, maybe even knock the whole thing down or extend with no care or consideration for the sympathetic redesign.

“Something I need to tell you too, babe. Grey Steel Global is going public next year. Finally. And I’m going to be stepping down as CEO. Sloan Williamson will take over. I’ll be a silent partner, there in an advisory capacity.”

Kieran stared blankly at Kennedy.

“When was all this decided?”

“Just now. By me. We’ve been talking about the idea of floating the company for years, and the subject came up again recently, but I didn’t want to say anything until I was absolutely certain in my own head. We still hold the lion’s share of the market and, honestly, Sloan has already become the new face of the organisation. So the timing is right. But it means I’ll have more free time on my hands. Is that going to be okay with you?”

“Why wouldn’t it be?”

“Well, we have a pretty good routine going right now. And I didn’t want you to feel as though you’re the only one working. I’ll still have shares in the new outfit, be called on every now and again for advice and meetings. And obviously I’ll be getting a decent payout.”

“How decent?”

Kennedy didn’t like talking figures with Kieran, just wanted him to feel their family’s needs would always be cared for.

“Exceptionally decent.”

In typical Kieran confrontational fashion, he thrust his hands into his pockets.

“And what exactly are you going to do with all this free time? You know how fidgety you get even when you’re at home for the whole weekend. We’d barely arrived here and you’re already scowling at your phone.”

Kennedy laughed and leant over to kiss Kieran’s cheek. Nobody knew him better than Kieran. Even Kennedy had hesitated in making the decision, wondering if he could realistically drop down a couple of gears.

“Yes, I’m going to need to work on winding down. But for a start, I’ll spend more time with the boys. And I’ll probably need to find a hobby or two. Maybe you can help me with that.”

Kieran fell quiet for a moment, and Kennedy knew by his expression he was thinking hard.

“You don’t want me to give up work, do you?”

“What? No, of course not. I know you love what you do. Why would you think that?”

“Because you mentioned the senior Mortimers spending time travelling, and I wondered if you wanted us to do the same? As a family.”

“No. Absolutely not. I think Len would put a hit out on me if I ever suggested you quit. I’m just going to have to figure out how to fill my free time.”

“Poor you.”

Kennedy chuckled and placed his arm around Kieran’s shoulder, before kissing him on the side of the head. He returned his gaze to the view, noticing a couple of large birds flying together.

“Do Rudy and Trevor seem okay to you?” he asked.

“They seem closer than ever. Why do you ask?”

“No. It’s nothing.”

Kieran turned his head from the view to study Kennedy, before bumping their hips together.

“Come on, love. You’re asking for a reason. Spit it out.”

“Remember when we met them in Singapore? I was under the impression they’d decided to tie the knot. I even offered them the use of our villa in Bali. But we’ve heard nothing since.”

Kieran stared back out the window, but sighed gently.

“Yes, I’d thought about that, too. But it’s not something I’d want to bring up with them. That’s between Trevor and Rudy. But maybe they changed their minds. Marriage isn’t as important for some couples. Ours was a top priority partly because I was ready for kids, but mainly because I didn’t want anyone else ever laying claim to you.”

Kennedy hauled Kieran around into a fierce kiss, before pulling his head away.

“Is that so, Mr Grey-West?”

“It is indeed. Do you think we’ll have some time alone this afternoon in our room? It’s nice to have you all to myself for a change, without constantly worrying about the boys crying.”

“I hope so. Although it might be difficult to keep a certain someone quiet.”

Both men looked down at the cheeky, innocent face looking up at them. Right then, from behind them, someone cleared their throat and they turned to see Trevor standing in the doorway, leaning against the door jamb.

“If you two have stopped making out, maybe you would like to come and join us for some food.”

“Excellent. I’m starving,” said Kennedy, as Trevor turned and headed out of the room.

Just as Kennedy began to follow, Kieran caught him by the arm.

“How long had he been standing there?”

“No idea.”

“Do you think he heard—”

“No idea. But let’s assume not.”

In the kitchen, the table had been laid out with various preserves, marmalade and butter, and a plate filled with wholewheat toast. Rudy placed plates of smoked salmon, scrambled eggs and fried tomatoes on the four place settings. Trevor bent down to put a bowl on the ground for Ed.

“Doggie breakfast,” said Trevor. “Chunks of apple and a boiled chicken sausage. According to Rudy’s mum, it’s perfectly healthy for dogs. None of this fried human food.”

Once Rudy had topped up their coffee mugs, they say together in companionable silence, eating together. Kennedy smiled across the table at Kieran sitting next to Rudy. At the end of the meal, despite Kennedy offering twice, Trevor insisted on clearing away used plates and cutlery, and began washing them up along with dirty pans at the sink. Rudy and Trevor clearly had their own domestic routine sorted out.

“So we’re bringing the exchange Secret Santa gifts forward to tonight,” said Trevor, his back to them all, “because you two won’t be here tomorrow. It’s another tradition we’ve introduced. Shame you can’t stay for Christmas lunch—which I am assured will be spectacular. But maybe next year. And then you can come up with the boys and Ed, and stay longer. As you can tell, we’ve got plenty of rooms in this place.”

Kennedy looked puzzled and almost said something before realising Trevor had no idea about the lodge being sold off. Across the table from him, Rudy’s eyes widened at Kennedy and his face fell slightly—his father clearly hadn’t told him he’d mentioned the fact to Kennedy. Almost unnoticeably, Rudy shook his head.

“That sounds wonderful,” said Kieran, who had been observing them both.

Once finished, Trevor turned and leant back against the sink.

“We were thinking about taking a drive into Fort William, get any last minute bits and bobs. One of the fridges is already full to bursting with soft drinks, beers, wines and champers, and the large one is empty ready for Marcus to use. But we can’t go until they arrive. To be honest, I thought they’d be here by now.”

“I’ll call Marcus now.”

“Hoped you’d say that. I’m going upstairs for a quick shower. And to wrap our Secret Santas. Rudy, stay and keep our guests company.”

As soon as Trevor bounced off, Rudy turned to Kennedy, before putting his face in his hands.

“I’ve not told him yet. I’m worried it’ll break his heart. The lodge is where we first met and even though my dad rents it out throughout the year, it’s always nice knowing we’ll come back here.”

“And you don’t want to move back, take the place over?” asked Kieran.

“Our lives are in the south, as are most of our friends. And both of our jobs are going well. But I understand what father means. Even without somebody managing the rentals—my mother took care of that—this place is due for an interior makeover. So best sell now before he invests any more money in the place. Sometimes the choice is simple when there are only two.”

“Have you considered a third option?” asked Kennedy, cryptically.

Thank you so much for reading.
The second set of characters integrated here. There will be six chapters in total, so this is more a short story, than a novella.
Would love to hear your comments and suggestions.
@lomax61 aka Brian
Copyright © 2019 lomax61; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 21
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Is the third option a time-share? We know that the Friends of Lomax™ all have access to large amounts of disposable income. If they all bought into the place, they’d all have the option to stay there whenever they had time.
;–)

Link to comment

So typical of Brian! So many secrets that they’ve already started getting revealed.
 

Kieran didn’t know that Kennedy was planning to step away from his job until just before breakfast.

Trevor doesn’t know that Rudy’s father is planning to sell the lodge.

Something’s up with Trevor & Rudy not having gotten around to getting married yet.

Stephen & Anton’s son seems to have some sort of mystery around him too.

I wonder what going on with Marcus & Tom?

And what other questions will pop up before the story ends?
;–)

Link to comment

Great chapter! I hope Kennedy has found his semi-retirement project in the Lodge!! Thank you!

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment

Time for some speculation.

1. Rudy is going to propose to Trevor.

2. Kennedy and Kieren are going to move from London to Loch Arkaig

OR

3. They will buy the lodge as an investment property

My two cents.

Oh, great chapter as always.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

As always, I love your guys and the slow burning drama. Can't wait to see, what you'll come up with next!

  • Love 4
Link to comment

Yes, Kennedy, only you would think of natural beauty and  a strong satellite signal as equally awe-inspiring.  :yes:

So, Kennedy, you, Karl, and Sloan are still a threesome. Go figure. :gikkle:

“Are you still okay with what we discussed?” Sloan, Kennedy, if I didn't know better, I'd think you were in league with Brian and his new invention, the internal cliffie! (Brian isn't even waiting till the end of the chapter any more to toss in cliffies!) However, we all give thanks to the great Lomax for clearing things up by the end of the chapter! :worship:

Aw, Kennedy, so you had to charter a jet to get you, Kieran, and Ed to Scotland on your timetable: Life's little inconveniences. (Tsk, tsk.)  ^_^

Now, Ed, about yellow snow.... :o

Wow! Rudy's father wants to sell the lodge, and Kennedy suddenly needs a hobby.  (Psst. Brian. No one will figure it out.... :lol:)

  • Haha 5
Link to comment

Remember, i usually comment before reading what others have said.

 

Let me consult my crystal ball. I see a semi hysterical Trevor, a very disappointed kieran, and a kennedy to the rescue when the purchase of Mortimer Hall and its conversion to a destination event venue becomes the needed  hobby.

  • Haha 4
Link to comment

So much has happened for K&K. But I suspect more is to come. Kennedy is not one to be idle for long. He needs to stay active. But I'm sure he'll find a project worth his time... :whistle:

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
On 12/5/2019 at 6:52 AM, Andre Delport said:

Time for some speculation.

1. Rudy is going to propose to Trevor.

2. Kennedy and Kieren are going to move from London to Loch Arkaig

OR

3. They will buy the lodge as an investment property

I think Trevor will propose to Rudy, since Trevor’s the one who balked at marriage talk before. And I wouldn’t be surprised if more than one couple decided to go in together on the lodge. 

Kennedy and Kieran won’t leave London — Kieran’s boss would want Kennedy’s head, remember?

Edited by Geemeedee
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..