Jump to content
    Mikiesboy
  • Author
  • 5,864 Words
  • 3,418 Views
  • 32 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Pledge - 2. Part Two

Tristan's life goes on ....

The Pledge

Part Two

 

It was early morning and snowing in the city. The grounds men at St. Mary’s General Hospital worked to clear sidewalks and the parking lot. The hospital was alive twenty-four seven and it had to be kept safe.

Tristan worked the 8pm to 4am shift at St. Mary’s. He was an orderly and the job provided him with necessary funds and the opportunity to hunt before dawn. When he finished work he was normally hungry and ready to find sustenance.

Through the hundreds of years he’d lived, Tristan had lived in many countries and turned his hand to various types of jobs. He had worked with animals and had gone to school to learn things he didn’t know. As well, he’d had lovers, but in the back of his mind there was always William.

His shift over, Tristan stood in front of his tidy locker and pulled on his overcoat. He was hungry and his need to hunt was strong.

The head shift nurse was on her way in to work, but she stopped to greet the pale young man. He turned and she watched his smile reach his dark brown eyes.

“Tris, make sure you bundle up, it’s gotten chilly out there.”

“I will Irene. I hope you have a good shift.” He wrapped his scarf around his neck. “It was a crazy night; I hope it settles down for you.”

“Oh, great! I hope so too. You have a good night oh, morning, Tris, I’ll see you later on.”

Tristan watched Irene walk to her own locker, then closed his and locked it. He was on his way out, when Irene stopped him.

“Tris!”

Tristan paused and faced her. “Yes?” He wanted, no needed to feed and he could smell her hot blood, running through the veins in her neck. He fought to control himself, the need to feed was great as it had been several weeks since he had.

Irene walked back to him and placed a hand on his shoulder. She wondered why he was trembling. “Listen, I’m not sure if you’re interested but there are openings for the day shift.”

Smiling, Tristan shook his head. “I’ll think about it but these hours work best for me.”

“Okay, just thought I’d let you know. Have a good night, oh boy I mean morning.”

He licked his lips. “Thanks, you too.”

Tristan made his way out of the hospital. The sounds of people in pain, the scent of them, the harsh and acrid smells of cleaning materials and medicines no longer troubled him as they once had. He’d grown used to them.

Once outside, Tristan noticed that the temperature had dropped—he paused to drink in the fresh air. Snow drifted around him as he wandered the streets looking for his meal. Though he no longer felt the cold he wore a long black leather overcoat, a soft cashmere scarf and black leather gloves. He felt it helped him to blend in with the humans he lived among.

Tristan knew he was a vampire, knew he needed blood, preferably that of a human, but he was not the creatures portrayed in films and books. He was more than that; more human perhaps than humans themselves. He had learned much as he prowled the earth—he’d watched the human race regress as their knowledge increased, and this saddened him though he was unsure why.

He’d walked for half an hour when he happened on a member of a local gang foolishly wearing his colours. His victim was alone and Tristan slipped behind the young man, covered his mouth with a grip stronger than death and forced him into an alley.

“Quiet now. Don’t struggle,” Tristan whispered. His hunger had reached its peak as the heat of his prey soaked through Tristan’s coat. He enjoyed the warmth and the pressure of the man’s body against his own – could feel the thrum as his victim’s blood pulsed through his veins. Reaching up, Tristan tore the man’s jacket and shirt – the cloth shredded like it was rotten. Tristan pulled them away to bare the flesh of the muscular neck.

“Shhhh,” Tristan whispered in his victim’s ear. “In a moment there will be no more pain.” The young gangster moaned and twisted but was held fast in a strong and tenacious grip.

Tristan licked his lips and dipped his head. Hollow canines extended and punctured the tender flesh and jugular vein. Without realizing it, Tristan injected an anticoagulant into the wound as he drew the blood from his victim.

 

Tristan easily lifted and dropped the drained body of the dead gang member into a dumpster. He felt no remorse for taking the life of the young man. Tristan knew he’d done some honest soul a favour by removing this wasted life from the world. Tristan licked the remaining blood from his lips, straightened his coat, pulled up the collar, and after shoving his hands deep into his pockets, began his walk home. He relished the feeling the fresh, hot blood gave him as it coursed through his body. He felt alive.

As he’d feasted on his bloody meal, the snow had gathered on the sidewalk and it squeaked under Tristan’s boots as he trudged home. As he drew closer to his apartment building, Tristan saw that the local cinema marquee was advertising a weekend of horror films, including Dracula and Frankenstein.

Smiling at the irony, Tristan unlocked the street entrance to the building and stepped inside. The smile fell from his face as he felt the presence of another; it was almost palpable as he got closer to his apartment. Someone had come to call, someone familiar.

Tristan used his key, stepped inside, closed the door and pressed his back against it. He stood quietly listening for several minutes. Shedding his coat he hung it on a hook on the coat stand. Then moving silently, Tristan walked toward the living room where the emanation was almost overwhelming. Tristan had no doubt the visitor knew he was home. He paused in the entrance to the living room.

“Tristan, my sweet boy.” William stepped into the moonlight that streamed in the window. “You haven’t changed.”

“William, I’m surprised.” Tristan’s voice was empty of emotion, his face was unreadable.

“Are you?” William raised an eyebrow. “You must have known I’d come for you at some point.”

“I knew.” Tristan looked at William. He took stock of himself and stepped toward William boldly, “But I’ve changed my mind. I like my situation, William.”

“I see. Then I believe you should rethink your situation, Tristan. I suggest it very seriously.” William’s soulless eyes filled with anger, his voice was an icy whisper. “You really do not wish me as your enemy.”

The power that emanated from William caused Tristan to step back and lower his eyes in submission.

William crossed to and sat on the sofa; he ran a well-manicured hand over it. His tone was as soft as the buttery burgundy leather, “You’ve done well for yourself.”

“I have a good job, and I don’t spend much.” Tristan picked up a crystal decanter, decorum was always at the fore, “Cognac? It’s Chateau Guynot.”

“Mmmm, please.” William watched Tristan with appreciation as he poured the amber liquid. He took the proffered glass and sniffed the liquid within. “Ah, pure joy. Thank you, m’boy.”

William sipped his drink and rolled it over his tongue. “What wonderful creatures we are Tristan. Yes, we need their blood to survive, but we can still have a little of the best humanity has to offer.”

Raising the glass, William watched the last of the moonlight mix with the golden liquor. “It’s time to come home, Tristan.”

Holding his crystal glass by his thigh, Tristan stood by the large window. He stared out, but saw nothing. He’d known this would happen one day, in many ways he’d longed for it, but he also dreaded it. Raising the glass he sipped the cognac and felt it race through his veins like an unchecked fire.

Then William was beside him. He didn’t flinch as William touched his cheek or when William reached under his chin, turned his head, and then gently kissed him. Their eyes met, they searched and sought answers and confirmation. Tristan sighed, and again sipped from his glass. He took William’s cool, smooth hand and returned his gaze to the city below. “I know.”

         

*****

Tristan had pledged when he was first allowed to leave that he would return when it was time, when William summoned him. Tristan was to take his rightful place at Lord William’s side. He would become companion and protector of the creature who wanted to become ruler of the world. William and his followers had planned this seizure and conquest for hundreds of years.

William had seen the rise of the machine and the fall of human wisdom. Mankind had learned nothing, not kindness or compassion, nor the worth of the gift of life. Every decade they lost more and more of what raised them above the animals.

It was easier now for Tristan to justify what he was, he was no longer haunted by the killings, by his bloodlust. No longer did he regret when he took a human life; he rejoiced in culling the herds of the evil and the graceless; but, this perfect world that William wanted frightened him. Tristan wondered what would happen if the evil and thoughtless were killed off and the earth were filled with those who loved and relished their lives. Who would feed the masters?

Tristan asked William one night as they prepared to hunt together.

William looked at this boy, the vampire he had made and shook his head. “Tristan, you still have this foolish idea that humans can live together in peace and harmony.” William flung his cloak over his black silk shirt. “Humans are cattle my dear boy. They are only useful to us as food.”

That night Tristan’s doubts of old returned. Who was he to kill or hurt these people, to take their lives that he should live? Live as what? To do what? He feared nothing and no one, he didn’t suffer and had few needs, and he had no fear of dying or growing old. Though he once thought William right, he now doubted the cause.

To go against William would mean he’d be alone in the world. It would mean he’d face an enemy who had a vast army and endless resources. But Tristan knew that what William planned was wrong. He felt that to stop William and his army of vampires, he himself would have to raise an army. But how would he do that and who would fight? How can you kill something that is immortal and has no natural enemy?

Tristan stared into the black night from the picture window in the parlor. He knew William was in the room and could likely sense his feelings of confusion. His sensitive ears picked up William’s soft footsteps on the silk carpet.

“You’ve been quiet for days, my boy. Why?” William’s cold white hand touched Tristan’s pale cheek.

Tristan closed his eyes, and answered his master, “I think what you plan is wrong.”

William grabbed Tristan and spun him around like he was a feather. “Wrong? Who are you to say I am wrong?”

Tristan looked into his master’s black eyes; he felt no fear, only sadness. “I am yours, Master. You made me and grew me into what I am now. We were human once, William. How can you think it right to kill so many and then keep those left only to be used by us?”

“I know because I am Lord!” William spit in anger. “We are the apex predators Tristan! Nothing can stop us.”

Tristan hung his head and put his hands in his pockets.

“M’boy … Tristan,” William crooned. He smiled at his prodigy. “You must trust that I know what is best.”

“I know, William,” Tristan relinquished.

He hadn’t thought he could die again, but Tristan felt as if a part of him just had. He knew his choices were limited. He could fight William or join him.

He chose to live.

                                                     

***

One night, after their lovemaking when they prepared to hunt, Tristan told William, that he would not fight his plans.

“But I can’t join you in them, William.”

William stared at his child, the one he’d made as companion, and he felt fury and frustration. “What are you saying Tristan?”

“I’m saying, I won’t help you, William.”

“So you mean to stand by and watch?” William buttoned his shirt. “You expect me to keep you separate from it?”

“I’m saying I can’t kill them so you can be emperor, or whatever it is you want.”

William laughed. “But you expect to keep your place next to me? Remain in my bed and at my side, though don’t you?”

“Not if you do not want me, William, no.”

“You’re acting like a child, not a creature that is hundreds of years old.” William sat on the bed to pull on his boots.

Tristan knelt before him, hands on his lover’s knees. “William, what will happen? Let’s say you do it, kill them, and control them. What will we do then?” He rose and pulled his hands through his hair. “What will we do? What is the reason for – being?”

William pulled his young lover close against his chest and wrapped his arms around him. He held Tristan until he was still. “Tristan, we do what we always have done. We will live. Enjoy our days of rest and our nights of love and sating our hunger.”

“But William, it is the humans and their imperfections that make life worth living.” Tristan hoped William would see the future would be bleak without them. Tristan continued, “And William, things are different, they have weapons, methods I’m sure they could use to kill us. The world is different now. Why wage a war for which there is no real need?”

William loosened his hold and turned Tristan around. He looked at his boy, kissed him, and pulled him close again.

“William, why can you not use all you have to make things better for them?”

William listened and considered. “Why would I do that, Tristan?”

Stroking his master’s face, Tristan shook his head. “I don’t know my Lord. But there is much future before us, is there not? Time enough to figure it out.”

“There is. Come, I am hungry Tristan and we must eat.” William held out his hand, and Tristan slipped his into it. “I will give your pleas some thought. Only that can I pledge.”

***

Several weeks later William held Tristan close in their bed, he kissed him tenderly. “Tristan, oh I am going to miss this.”

Tristan’s smile faded and he asked, “Miss it? Where are you going?”

William looked at his young lover sadly. “Not I, Tristan.”

At the same time the bedroom door was flung open and a group of eight male vampires entered the room. Tristan started to rise, but William held him. The eight moved forward and bound Tristan tightly, he struggled but they were too much for him.

Tristan looked at William. “What are you going to do with me, William? Kill me? Throw me out into the sun?”

“No, my precious child. You’ll be kept here until the war is over.” William stroked Tristan’s face. “You’ll be looked after.”

Silent tears ran down Tristan’s face. “Please, William. You don’t need to do this. I’ll help. I’ll be good.”

William kissed him softly on the lips and then looked at the others. “Take him.”

The eight took Tristan and his clothing down deep into the sub-dungeon of the old castle. They pushed Tristan inside a newly fortified room and sealed the door behind them. One of the eight opened the sliding hatch in the door.

“You’ll be fed.” The hatch slammed shut.

Tristan sat on a winged armchair and wept until he had no more tears. Anger slowly grew replacing the sadness and Tris strode around the rooms and yelled his lover’s name and vented his frustration. He slammed himself into the walls, pulled on the door trying to move it, but they had built it to withstand the strength and power of vampires.

“Damn you, William!” he said finally, and he threw himself onto the sofa, and decided to take stock of where he was.

The main living area was big enough for him to walk through, there were books, music, dvds and a computer and a television. There was no kitchen to speak of, only a small bar fridge and a sink with running water. There was alcohol of various types and in the bar fridge were some blood in bags.

Anger grabbed him again when he saw the contents of the fridge. “Fuck! Drinking dead blood!” He kicked the door closed brutally.

He wandered around the rest of the apartment; the bedroom contained a queen sized bed, a closet, chest of drawers, and night table.

 

***

The days grew into weeks, then months, and finally a year had passed. Tristan had read all the books, watched the films, slept for days when they brought little blood for him. He begged his keepers to give him news of the war, of the world, of William. Rare was the day when they spoke to him at all.

Then no one came. Not for weeks, his body shut down and he nestled into bed to wait. Deep in his hibernation, Tristan didn’t hear the door open, but he roused when there was weight on the bed.

“Tristan … Tris … you must wake up.”

 

***

 

“Tristan, open your eyes. I need to speak with you.”

That voice, he knew it. ‘Wake up, damn you,’ he thought and forced himself awake. It had been so long since he’d fed, he was weak.

Then he could smell it, warm and coppery, he felt drops on his lips, in his mouth—blood, the true nectar of life. Memories flashed; this was more than just human blood, it was … it was—William.

Tristan’s eyes flew open and he sat up.

“Tris, come, we must go. You need blood. Drink from me ….” William held his wrist out and Tristan sank onto it, drawing mouthfuls. William gently pushed Tristan off.

“Enough now, my boy.”

Tristan wiped his mouth, finally alert. “William?”

“Yes, we must leave, Tris. Can you walk?”

“William? What’s happened?”

“Tris, there is no time. Do you want to come with me?” William touched Tristan’s face.

“I … William?”

“Decide boy. There is a plane waiting for me. Join me or stay.” William stood up.

“Yes.”

“Come then, we must hurry.” William, dragged clothes onto Tris and forced his feet into shoes.

William pulled Tristan to his feet, and supported him as he stumbled along the corridor and up the worn stone steps. They moved quickly out the front door, and William pushed Tristan into the waiting car.

“Let’s go,” William said to the driver.

 

Tristan turned and watched as they left their home behind. He wondered if they would ever return.

The car sped to a private airport, and Tristan and William joined fifteen of the master’s most faithful on a small jet. The craft was in the air minutes after their arrival on its way to a secret location.

“I must go and speak to the pilots, my boy. I won’t be long.” William kissed Tristan and patted his hand. “You must eat; we have food aboard. Basil will help you.”

“Tristan, you need to feed. Please come with me.” Basil Keely stood beside Tristan’s seat.

“Mr. Keely? Huh … how?”

“I’ll explain while you eat, my boy. Please come with me.”

“Yes … yes … okay.”

They walked to the rear of the aircraft and there was a small compartment built there. Basil was talking as they walked. “… Used to belong to a rock star, that room was used for sex. We use it to feed.”

When the entered the small chamber, on the bed were a young man and woman. Both restrained, both topless.

Tristan looked at Mr. Keely. “Humans?”

“Yes, they are feeders. We don’t drink them dry. Take only four swallows. Then we feed and rehydrate them. You choose, boy or girl.”

The pair moaned and struggled. Watching them excited Tristan’s blood lust; he chose the male. He straddled the man. Pushed his head to the right, leaned forward and sank his canines into the helpless victim.

The blood was hot, fragrant and he wanted it all but he heard Mr. Keely, yelling for him to stop. Tristan gently pulled away from the struggling man and got to his feet. After licking all the blood from his lips, he stroked the young man’s forehead. “Thank you. I hope I didn’t hurt you.”

The victim stared at the creatures as they turned and walked from the room.

Tristan sat down with Mr. Keely in seats just outside the feeding compartment, “Are you …?”

“Yes, William offered me immortality before he left for the second time. How could I say no?” Basil swallowed and looked sad, “It was hard watching my family pass on though.”

“I imagine it was,” Tristan said. “So, do you look after the feeders?”

“Yes, they are the new sheep.”

“Do they volunteer?”

“The feeders? Some do. The volunteers offer themselves in exchange for sex and food. Some of them like being owned by us.” Keely explained. “Some however, we take, and I think William wants a breeding program, so we’ll be safer.”

Tristan felt ill. Breeding humans? Safe? What had happened during that year of the war? He asked Basil.

“Tris, I think William should explain it to you.”

“Okay, Mr. Keely.”

The sun was starting to rise and blackout coverings were pulled down. Tristan returned to his seat. William soon joined him.

“Did you feed, my boy?”

“Yes, William.”

William peered at Tristan. “You’re upset.”

Tristan shook his head. “No … no I’m not, William. The humans are our sheep, we raise them and use them for food. I understand that. I only ask one thing.”

“What’s that?”

“Can we just treat them right. Like I treated your sheep? I never hurt them or frightened them. Don’t they deserve that much?”

William leaned forward and kissed Tristan. “Yes. We will treat them right.”

Sighing, Tristan leaned into the man he loved. “Thank you, my lord.”

“Rest now, boy. We will arrive at our destination after dark. We will put down to refuel shortly.”

“Sir, are the pilots human?”

“They are. We need them to fly in daylight.” William reached for Tristan’s hand. “You do not need to call me sir or my lord, Tris.”

“But, you are, William. I need you to be.”

William smiled and squeezed his lover’s hand. “All right my love. I will be what you need me to be. Now rest.”

 

Tristan—well fed—slept through refueling and slept on as they landed but remained in the plane until the sun went down.

William sat with him and woke him gently. “Tris, it’s time for us to go home.”

“Back in England?”

“No, but a nice large compound; now come.” William held out his hand waiting for Tristan to take it. Tristan reached up and clasped it.

Tristan walked out of the jet and down the airstairs behind William. It was dark, there were no lights, and Tristan looked up at the stars—the sky was full of them.

William pulled him along and he stumbled as he gazed upward. “William, do you remember before all the electric lights? Look at them. Oh, they haven’t really changed, have they?”

As he turned around, William pulled Tristan into his arms, and they gazed to the heavens together. “No, you’re right they haven’t.” William kissed Tristan. “Come, let’s go home, my darling.”

Tristan allowed himself to be led to a waiting limousine. He climbed in and was joined by William. They sat shoulder to shoulder for the long ride.

Cupping his hands around his eyes and against the glass, Tristan peered out into the velvety dark—all around them were mature trees. Sitting back, he snuggled against William, who slipped an arm around him, the side of this head rested against the top of Tristan’s.

“William, where are we?”

The older vampire chuckled. “Where indeed. Silly really, but we are, what the world would call, in our ancestral home. The place where the humans think we all began—Transylvania.”

Tristan blinked. “Really?”

“Yes, I bought land here many years ago and have slowly built the compound we’re going to now. Hopefully we can be at peace there. The world is so different at present.”

“We need to adapt to it, William. We cannot go back, or expect they ever will.”

“No my love. But it was so much easier all that time ago, was it not?”

Tristan nodded and sat quietly for several minutes. “William, where did we all start?”

“The First Ones? In what is now Egypt, precious. So long ago, close to a time before time.”

“What happened to them? Are they dead?”

“Not dead, but—still. They are as mummies, but are unwrapped. They chose to be still after many lifetimes.”

Tristan didn’t understand completely. “Will we become still?”

“Only if we choose it, darling. You become still if you choose to stop feeding; it’s rather like hibernation, not dead, but nearly so. The First Ones could be awakened if they are given fresh blood slowly.” William paused and spoke almost to himself, “I once thought I’d never want that, to be still. But in the last few years, sometimes I almost welcomed the idea.”

William felt Tristan’s shudder and held him tighter. “Do not fear little one, I’ve not chosen stillness yet. Not when I have nights with you, my sweet wonderful love.”

For the remainder of the journey the clung to each other like survivors in a small raft.

Finally the cars pulled off the road and continued down a bumpy track for another forty-five minutes. They stopped in a clearing, William opened the door and climbed out. “Come, Tris. There is more travel yet.”

“More?” Tristan got out of the limo, glad to stand and move around. ‘How much more?’ he grumbled internally.

William had moved away and was hugging a man. “Anghel! It’s so good to see you, to be here!” William looked around searching for his lover. “Tristan, please come here and meet Anghel.”

Tristan strode over to the two men. “Hello.” Tristan put out his hand and shook Anghel’s. “I’m Tristan, or Tris.”

Anghel smiled and spoke, his accent thickly Romanian. “It is good to meet you finally, Tristan. William has spoken of you often.”

Turning his attention to William, Anghel continued, “Everything is ready for your arrival. I’ve got humans who have volunteered to be feeders, their accommodation is ready and so are they. Two will be in your room, when you are ready to eat.”

William slapped Anghel’s shoulder. “Thank you. Where are … they?”

“Just behind me. The trail is marked; you will have no trouble. I will come with the others to bring the luggage and supplies.”

Nodding, William took Tristan’s hand. “The rest of the journey is on horseback.”

“Really?”

William laughed. “Yes, it’s safer and less noticeable. Do you remember how?”

They walked toward the horses and Tristan approached the tall grey, which stood quietly. “I think so, William.” He checked and tightened the girth, gathered the reins, and holding the pommel, put his left foot into the stirrup iron, grasped the cantle, pulled himself up, and swinging his right leg over, settled himself quietly on the animals back. The horse shifted slightly, as the man did, and it tested the bit; the rider firmed the reins letting the animal know he was aware and in charge.

William watched with pride as his lover demonstrated his horsemanship. Tristan had always been an excellent rider. “Seems you have not forgotten, my boy. Shall we?”

Tristan smiled and nodded, kicking his horse, and with a soft: come on, the great beast walked on. William, seated on a black, fell in alongside Tristan. “Do you like him?”

“Yes, he’s lovely.”

“He’s yours, my love. He needs a name.”

“Hmmm … I’ll have to wait until he tells me what it is.”

William ducked his head and smiled. ‘Typical of you, my boy.’

 

After an hour’s ride, they reached the house. They were met by a man who would take the horses to the small stable once they’d dismounted.

They watched the horses be led away, and stood looking at the house—it was not as grand as the previous one, but it would be comfortable. William took Tristan’s hand and they walked into their new home together.

“Tris, we have some servants, but nothing like we had all those years ago.”

“We’ll manage William, as long as we are together.”

 

They did manage and they lived, but they were always hunted. More and more William felt they had no place in the world. They could not keep humans as they were not placid enough, and if they fed on the local population questions were asked, investigations were launched and there was no peace.

William often rode off alone to think. ‘Perhaps Tris was correct … there is no reason for us to be—to exist.’

Their passion for each other never waned.

And on this night it was no different; they’d fed and made their way to their rooms. They fell onto the bed, wrapped in each other’s arms.

William held Tristan close and tight and kissed him deeply. He didn’t let go when there were sounds from the heavy bedroom door. Tristan struggled to get away from his Master.

“What is that noise?”

“Ignore it and come back to bed. I want you.”

Tristan freed himself from his lover’s arms, and went to the door. As powerful as he was, he could not open it. Anger and frustration was evident on his face as he roared, and turned back to glare at William.

“Tell me what is going on!”

William arose and went to his lover. “Shhhh now, boy. Come and let me love you.”

“William! Stop it. Tell me!”

“I’ll tell you, but come and sit.”

Tristan strode to their bed and sat. William joined his lover.

“You were right, Tris. About everything, about all of it.” He stroked Tristan’s faced with a cold white finger. “It’s no longer our time, my love.”

“William, what does that mean?”

“It means this is our tomb—our end.”

Tristan stood up, and pulled on his blue-silk robe. “You are making this decision for me? Without speaking to me? What if this isn’t what I want, William?”

“Isn’t it though, my love? Each day you tell me you’re tired or bored. Now after all of these hundreds of years—I feel it too.”

Tristan once again sat beside William. He took his Master’s hand in his own. “William, I’m not ready to stop, not yet.”

“Are you sure?” William gazed into Tristan’s eyes. “We’re monsters to them.”

“We need a purpose, William—a reason to be here. We need to contribute in some way.”

William laughed. “How? Should we open a bed and breakfast? No … even better in our case—a nightclub.”

“We could. And you know the sun doesn’t hurt us for hours, so we can be out in the daylight!”

“I was not serious, boy!”

“Perhaps not, but why not open the compound to humans who are looking for something different. We’ll helicopter them in. It will have to be billed as something not for the faint of heart, it will be expensive. We’ll hire only the best.”

“Ridiculous!”

“Why?”

William stood and paced across the silk carpet. “Why? What will we feed on—the guests? How do we hide what we are? Businesses mean government, taxes and more.”

“Do you really want to stop living, William?” Tris walked to, and leaned against the man he loved.

“My love, I don’t see a way out. I find myself often wishing that I’d never chosen this path.”

“We could go back home, to England.”

“And do what? Farm?”

“William you know we don’t have to drink as often as we do. And yes, we can raise sheep, feed on them like you taught me to.”

“Tristan …!”

“What? People eat them, what is the difference if we feed from them? Africans drink their cattle’s blood. Why can’t we?”

“Fine, let’s say we do this. We live on our farm, look after the animals and what else?”

“You could write a book. We could start a vineyard, raise horses. I don’t know, William. I only know I’m not ready to stop being.”

William sat on the bed thinking, while Tristan paced the room. After an hour he spoke, “All right Tris, we’ll go home to England.”

The door was finally unbarred and for several days William was busy making arrangements. Men arrived to pack their belongings.

On their final night, they fed together and went to bed to make love. William held his lover and told him how much he loved him. Happy and sated, Tristan fell into a peaceful slumber.

He did not notice William get to his feet and open the bedroom door. He did awaken when he felt William straddle him. “What are you doing my love?”

“Shhhh now, boy. This won’t take long. I’m after you.”

“What?”

Anghel stepped next to the bed, glanced at Tristan and then looked to William. “Are you certain?”

From below, Tris had begun to struggle.

“Yes, I am certain. It’s for the best. Lie quiet, my love. I am with you, always.”

Anghel picked up the wooden stake from the floor and placed the tip over Tristan’s heart.

Tristan fought William. “Nooo, please don’t do this, William. Please, for God’s sake! I am not ready to die!”

William had tears in his eye as he nodded to Anghel.

The heavy hammer drove the stake deep into Tristan’s chest, destroying his heart. The younger vampire cried out and stared up into his lover’s dark eyes. “N…no William ….”

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry, Tristan. I love you, hear me! I love you.”

William cried as he watched the life leave Tristan’s eyes. When there was no movement left in Tris’ body, he slowly got off and lay down beside his dead companion.

He whispered, “Do it.”

Anghel held the stake and quickly drove it deep. William died holding his dead lover’s hand.

Carefully, Anghel removed the stakes; he left the room and then closed and barred the heavy wooden door. Once he’d removed anything of value, Anghel set fire to the compound. He watched as the fire cleansed the place—and prayed that the souls of William and Tristan, had found peace.

 

******

C'est Fini

This was originally a three part story. I appreciate JayT working with me on part two. AC worked with me on parts one and three. Thank you both for all your hard work and input.
To those who read, commented and/ or liked - thank you!!! I'd love to know what you think!
tim
Copyright © 2017 Mikiesboy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 1
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



It seems so soon to end. I would have enjoyed following Tristan through more of his life ... nonetheless it was your story to tell and you did it well.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 12/30/2016 11:38 AM, dughlas said:

It seems so soon to end. I would have enjoyed following Tristan through more of his life ... nonetheless it was your story to tell and you did it well.

Thank you dugh. I feel in some ways this has disappointed people. Perhaps they expect more but short stories have always been an interest as poetry has. Thanks for reading this dugh and for you on-going support. I do appreciate it very much. Your comments and feedback are very helpful to me as well.

 

Thanks again,

 

tim xo

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Well, at least they had a long life. I'm sorry the end had to be violent, because Tristan wouldn't do the 'mummy' sleep. Did all the other vampires also chose to die?

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Argh ... too dark for my taste ... :(

 

I AM the die hard, fanatical, hard core, militant romantic. Any author who writes an ending short of a happily ever after will draw ire from me ... :evil:

 

BUT thank you for your lovely tale ... :thankyou:

 

Though my poor, poor Tristan ... :,(

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 12/30/2016 09:12 PM, hohochan657 said:

Argh ... too dark for my taste ... :(

 

I AM the die hard, fanatical, hard core, militant romantic. Any author who writes an ending short of a happily ever after will draw ire from me ... :evil:

 

BUT thank you for your lovely tale ... :thankyou:

 

Though my poor, poor Tristan ... :,(

Oh dear, I hope this didn't upset you too much. You like HEA, try Faris and James, they are Always happy ever after, with some laffs along the way. My next short story will be HEA as well.

 

While this was not your usual cup of tea, I do appreciate you taking the time to tell me your thoughts. I'll never always write HEA, but I greatly appreciate your time.

 

tim xo

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/30/2016 06:41 PM, Timothy M. said:

Well, at least they had a long life. I'm sorry the end had to be violent, because Tristan wouldn't do the 'mummy' sleep. Did all the other vampires also chose to die?

Poor Tristan. I think William was tired. I would be after so long, life would become tedious with nothing to strive for. I'm fairly sure that Tristan would have found something to do that was worthwhile, but William made the decision for him. I'm sure the others are alive and well and drinking blood somewhere.

 

Thanks Tim!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

So incredibly sad and colored in ochre and blood. Not pretty, though hopelessly romantic in its way. You write this well, and the conclusion is really inescapable. Poor Tristan, his will to joy and goodness turned down at every moment. Why must this be so? I truly hope this story is not an allegory for our own lives. Well written and memorable, tim.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 12/31/2016 05:57 AM, Parker Owens said:

So incredibly sad and colored in ochre and blood. Not pretty, though hopelessly romantic in its way. You write this well, and the conclusion is really inescapable. Poor Tristan, his will to joy and goodness turned down at every moment. Why must this be so? I truly hope this story is not an allegory for our own lives. Well written and memorable, tim.

I don't know, Tristan and William loved each other, but that doesn't mean they were good for each other. William grew tired of life but Tristan had not, at least not yet. I think if William had not come for him, Tristan would have continued on, and somehow would have found his place in the world.

 

Thanks for reading Parker and for your thoughts..

 

tim xoxxo

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I loved this! It is different than what you usually write for us and I really enjoyed it. :thankyou:
It made me a little angry that William took away Tris' ability to choose at the end. Tris could have gone on to do good, or even great, things. But William took more than that when he first turned Tris, didn't he?
Another story to add to the library of "Stories to Read Again."
:hug::heart:

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 12/31/2016 11:13 AM, mollyhousemouse said:

I loved this! It is different than what you usually write for us and I really enjoyed it. :thankyou:

It made me a little angry that William took away Tris' ability to choose at the end. Tris could have gone on to do good, or even great, things. But William took more than that when he first turned Tris, didn't he?

Another story to add to the library of "Stories to Read Again."

:hug::heart:

Thanks molly. Tris, gave himself to William. Though he he went off on his own, there was always William. William was his lord and master. Had he'd had the time I think Tris could have done much.

 

Thanks for reading! I appreciate it and your comments!

 

tim

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Hey, tim. Sorry for taking so long to get here. I liked how you showed us the differences in the two men. William will always be a Lord, and with that goes his arrogance to believe he has the right to decide others' fates. Tristan, kindhearted Tristan, was always the servant, and continued to give way to a man whose values weren't his. Even though immortal, they were trapped in the roles they were born to. William was selfish to the end, but I have no doubt he loved his boy. And Tristan always knew what the man was capable of. Yet he returned his love. A tragic tale well told, buddy. Kudos, and cheers... Gary....xo

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/31/2016 12:31 PM, Headstall said:

Hey, tim. Sorry for taking so long to get here. I liked how you showed us the differences in the two men. William will always be a Lord, and with that goes his arrogance to believe he has the right to decide others' fates. Tristan, kindhearted Tristan, was always the servant, and continued to give way to a man whose values weren't his. Even though immortal, they were trapped in the roles they were born to. William was selfish to the end, but I have no doubt he loved his boy. And Tristan always knew what the man was capable of. Yet he returned his love. A tragic tale well told, buddy. Kudos, and cheers... Gary....xo

No worries Gary. I appreciate you reading this. You're right on about William and Tristan's relationship. It's a shame that William could not see things from Tris' point of view, it might have saved them both.

 

Thanks Gary xo

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Wow, not what I was expecting. Nonetheless, the richness and complexity of this tale was terrific. It was a sad end, but probably the only way it could be.
I wonder, though if William had listened to Tristan and followed his plan, would their life have been afforded a different, more positive, path? It's interesting too, how Tristan seemed to have kept his humanity, whereas, William did not. I suppose that could have something to do with their human - darn can't think of the proper word, but who they were as humans and where they fit into society.
And as Lit said - I think it was Lit - now I know why you were researching sheep. :)

 

As always - though, this one was really good - nicely done tim

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I'm going to have to be the dissenting voice here. Part 2 was not a satisfying read for me. William wanted to start a war so he could rule the world? Where did that come from? It was hard to reconcile the idea of a William who wanted to drink and screw the day away with a William who wanted world domination. And happened during that war? We never find out.

 

Headstall made a good argument -- that William would always be a lord and Tristan always a servant. But people change in the span of a lifetime; they certainly can change during the span of several lifetimes. The difference is, Tristan wanted to adapt and I guess William didn't? But he (Willliam) would've had to adapt to live as long as he did. ... The ending left a sour taste in my mouth.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I have to agree with some of the others in that there are holes which beg to be filled in the story.

 

That being said, it was an intriguing read, well written, and held my attention throughout.

 

Well done.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 01/01/2017 01:56 AM, Kitt said:

I have to agree with some of the others in that there are holes which beg to be filled in the story.

 

That being said, it was an intriguing read, well written, and held my attention throughout.

 

Well done.

Thanks Kitt. I appreciate the feedback. I think you're right, somethings defo need a review/repair.

 

Thanks,

 

tim xoxo

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/31/2016 06:00 PM, Geemeedee said:

I'm going to have to be the dissenting voice here. Part 2 was not a satisfying read for me. William wanted to start a war so he could rule the world? Where did that come from? It was hard to reconcile the idea of a William who wanted to drink and screw the day away with a William who wanted world domination. And happened during that war? We never find out.

 

Headstall made a good argument -- that William would always be a lord and Tristan always a servant. But people change in the span of a lifetime; they certainly can change during the span of several lifetimes. The difference is, Tristan wanted to adapt and I guess William didn't? But he (Willliam) would've had to adapt to live as long as he did. ... The ending left a sour taste in my mouth.

Your opinions and feedback are always welcomed by me. Not everything works for everyone and I appreciate you taking the time to tell me what you think. You certainly have given me food for thought.

 

Thanks again, tim

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/31/2016 05:29 PM, Reader1810 said:

Wow, not what I was expecting. Nonetheless, the richness and complexity of this tale was terrific. It was a sad end, but probably the only way it could be.

I wonder, though if William had listened to Tristan and followed his plan, would their life have been afforded a different, more positive, path? It's interesting too, how Tristan seemed to have kept his humanity, whereas, William did not. I suppose that could have something to do with their human - darn can't think of the proper word, but who they were as humans and where they fit into society.

And as Lit said - I think it was Lit - now I know why you were researching sheep. :)

 

As always - though, this one was really good - nicely done tim

Thanks Reader. I appreciate you reading this. I know what you mean and think you're right. William was what he was and it was sort of the devine right of kings, sort of a thing. He saw himself that way and so why if he's perfect should he change? He did, just not for the better.

 

thanks again,

 

tim xo

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Clearly, William lost his humanity along the way. Tristan was more in touch with who they were. Too bad he couldn't convince William to see it his way,or that William couldn't leave Tristan behind. I hope they did find peace in the end.

 

Thanks for this story tim. Sure I would have liked more story, but I wasn't disappointed.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 01/02/2017 10:58 PM, Defiance19 said:

Clearly, William lost his humanity along the way. Tristan was more in touch with who they were. Too bad he couldn't convince William to see it his way,or that William couldn't leave Tristan behind. I hope they did find peace in the end.

 

Thanks for this story tim. Sure I would have liked more story, but I wasn't disappointed.

Thank you Def. I appreciate you reading and your comments. Glad this worked for you!!

 

thank you again,

 

tim xoxo

  • Like 2
Link to comment

A good short story leaves you wanting more so judging by the reviews this was definitely a good short story :)
You gave us a sad tragic ending, one that was so unfair to poor Tris but one that really clarified their relationship. Was Tris really that much more important than the sheep he tended? His entire life was controlled by William.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

This is a interesting folk tale for a few reasons. One, the choices we make binding ourselves to another can be fatal in the end. Second, even early in life, these choices may become burdens or trials to what you become. Third, I think Tristan's Pledge was something he regretted, not just in the end, but during other times as well. William was a very selfish man and an egoist who used Tristan and finally I think he realized it. William couldn't accept the idea of Tristan going on without him so the murder/suicide pact was his final solution. You've packed a lot of ideas into this. Great job!!!!
BTW, it's very complete as is.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 01/03/2017 01:32 PM, Bucket1 said:

A good short story leaves you wanting more so judging by the reviews this was definitely a good short story :)

You gave us a sad tragic ending, one that was so unfair to poor Tris but one that really clarified their relationship. Was Tris really that much more important than the sheep he tended? His entire life was controlled by William.

Thanks B. I'm glad you enjoyed it. That's the sad thing about short stories, it's hard to make em longer. Poor Tristan it wasn't fair what happened to him. He was a good guy for a vampire. Thanks again for reading...

 

tim xo

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/05/2017 06:35 AM, Cole Matthews said:

This is a interesting folk tale for a few reasons. One, the choices we make binding ourselves to another can be fatal in the end. Second, even early in life, these choices may become burdens or trials to what you become. Third, I think Tristan's Pledge was something he regretted, not just in the end, but during other times as well. William was a very selfish man and an egoist who used Tristan and finally I think he realized it. William couldn't accept the idea of Tristan going on without him so the murder/suicide pact was his final solution. You've packed a lot of ideas into this. Great job!!!!

BTW, it's very complete as is.

Thanks for the excellent comments, Cole. I appreciate you reading this. I think you're right about Tristan he regretted the promise, but i think he always hoped that William would change. William i believe was once a good man but he changed for the worse over time. And at the end, Tristan was his and he'd die that way.

 

Thanks very much for reading this Cole. I appreciate it.

 

tim

  • Like 2
Link to comment

This is a folk tale. I don’t think it’s overkill to re-state the importance of the fact here. How and why people act the way they do is a better mode of speculation for most of us making our way through real life. When coming to a teaching tale, such as this one, a Hollywood-type script where all the motivations and plot gaps are filled in does not seem to apply. If that were the case, then everything from Cinderella to The Lion King would need ‘re-writes,’ and I don’t personally buy that.

For me, the touching and most ironic element is how the notion of humanity plays out here. In the end, are we to think of William’s humanity is restored to him because he chose to put down Tristian in a humane way? I think that’s a challenging question to contemplate, but an interesting one.

The scene with the humans on the plane who are now the domesticated animals providing (unwillingly) the sustenance for the vamps was quite shocking. It upset Tristan too, and put me in mind of how he ‘humanely’ put down the man behind the hospital. One was ‘right,’ one was wrong, and we saw them both.

Thanks for tackling a challenging concept and fleshing it out well. We see these men together, where they overlap, and it’s their relationship which is round and full.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..