Jump to content
    Robert Rex
  • Author
  • 3,031 Words
  • 3,705 Views
  • 30 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Lion's Lair - 19. What Have I Done?

/

Although I’d made the decision to share my story with Ryan and committed on Wednesday night to tell him my story on Friday, self-doubt took over on Thursday. By Friday I was almost in full-blown panic attack mode.

What if he hates me for my deception? What if he can’t trust me anymore?

The feeling wasn’t helped when he said he needed to stay at his place Thursday night to do laundry, and be ready for his early morning workout before his afternoon physical therapy session. My sleep that night was far from restful.

Finally, Friday arrived. I was nervous enough that I called him mid-morning just to confirm he’d be coming over. Of course, that was still his plan. Of course, it only momentarily calmed my nerves to hear it. Of course, I was a wreck by the end of the day.

I decided to go make groceries and fix an easy but nice meal of broiled flounder, steamed asparagus, rice pilaf. Dessert would be a French vanilla custard, picked up from a local deli.

It’ll give me something to do until he arrives.

I was cooking in the kitchen when I heard the garage door open and Ryan yell out, “Honey, I’m home.” It sounded different somehow from when he’s said that before, but I still love the way it sounds.

With a gin and tonic in hand, I was focused on finishing the rice, stirring in the remaining ingredients before transferring it to a dish to bake, when he asked, “When’s dinner gonna be ready?” I turned to respond to him—and promptly dropped my drink.

Ryan is standing in the doorway. With crutches, but standing.

I'm frozen in place for a second, tears running down my face before I race over to him, my flip-flops protecting my feet from the broken glass on the floor.

He’s got the biggest grin on his face. I’ve never seen him this happy.

I grab him in an energetic bear hug, lean back and look him in the eye, then kiss him. “When did you get your legs? Why ….?” He’s now about my height, so it’s totally natural the way our bodies fit for the embrace and kiss.

Ryan giggles with the nervous energy of a child excited with a new toy. “These are just ‘demo’ legs; they’re the ones I’ve been practicing on. Talked the doc into letting me get in some extended wear time over the weekend. It’ll help when they fit me for my real legs which are a little taller.”

“Ok, promise you won’t overdo it on them.” The caregiver in me pops out, and it’s still surprising how much I want to take care of Ryan. “I’ll try not to mother you too much, but if there’s something I can do to help, I will”.

“Thanks. But I’ll be honest—this is the best feeling. Watch.” And with that, Ryan leans his crutches against the wall, walks over to the kitchen, opens one of the overhead cabinets, and gets out a glass. “See?” He is beaming as though he’d won the Iron Man Triathlon—and in a way, I guess he has.

“Or this.” He puts the glass down, walks around the kitchen’s island, pulls out a barstool, and sits, then turns to look at me. Again that ear-to-ear smile. “Just like anyone else!”

His excitement is contagious. And totally charming.

“Ok, ok…I get it. Just don’t overdo it, and don’t be running through the house, breaking things—or more importantly—you.”

“Gotcha. I’ll try to be good, but I’ll tell ya, it’s gonna be a challenge.” There’s that grin of his again. And I’m not saying anything more; he’s worked hard to get to this point, he deserves to enjoy it.

Dinner is done quickly, and we do the small talk over the meal by the pool that couples do—catching each other up on the day’s events. One bright spot was a text we both got from Dave; Barry had his facial surgery done and was released mid-afternoon to go home. And, grand re-opening of the bar will be a week from Saturday.

With the meal done, we head back inside for a drink after dinner. There’s an air of expectancy as we move to the screened breezeway—we can no longer stay outside, since the approaching dusk brought out mosquitoes in their own search for dinner.

Ryan lights a cigarette, and gets a sip of his Jack and Coke. “Okay, what’s this secret you want to tell me?” He’s got a twinkle in his eyes as he says it, and it’s clear he’s not viewing it as a big deal.

“First of all, before going any further, I want you to move in with me. I love you, and I know you love me, and it’s just the right thing to do for both of us right now. I know you have issues with forfeiting the deposit and paying out the remainder of your lease prematurely, but it’s worth it—to both of us. And the money isn’t an issue—I’ll pay for it. I would just rather have you here.”

A cloud crosses Ryan’s face, and I can tell it’s something he’s thought about. “I’d love to move in with you, Clayton. But it’s crazy to spend that kind of money; it’ll be several thousand dollars. That’s fuckin’ nuts to give that up. I know you do well and all, but still, that doesn’t make sense. And besides, I’ve always been one to pay my own way—and I’m not gonna let you do that. And I can’t afford it. It’s only for another four or five months, so let’s hold off on that.”

Did I misjudge? Is he ready to take this all to the next level? Or is he hiding behind the money issue?

“Damnit, Ryan, the money isn’t the issue for me at all—trust me. I just want you here; that is, if you want to be here.”

“Of course I want to be here! It’s just a financial issue. Period.”

“Ok, just promise you’ll think about it.”

“I promise. So that’s the secret you wanted to tell me?”

It’s now or never.

“No. You know me as Clayton Jameson. My real name is Virgil Clayton Earl.”

Ryan’s face is quizzical—and surprised. “Your real name? I don’t understand….”

“I changed my name when I was in college, using my maternal grandmother’s maiden name as my last name. I was adopted at age four after Mom and Dad tried for years to have a child. They’d settled into one of the Tudor mansions in Grosse Point, Michigan, that luxury neighborhood of wealthy industrial barons of Detroit, and, as is fairly common, Mom became pregnant in the final stages of my adoption, with my twin sisters being born six months after I'd joined the family.

“Unfortunately, Mom suffered with postpartum depression, and treatment options were limited. She kept things together enough to be publicly social, but otherwise was withdrawn, preferring to spend time at our smaller summer home in Palm Springs, California. I was far more comfortable there, so basically adopted that as my home.

“My sisters were always the family favorites, and I was the shy, quiet kid. When I was in fifth grade, the house captain, who ran the home, along with my mother and dad, decided that a boarding school would be the ideal solution to bring a shy child out of his shell, so I was sent away to the East Coast for school.

“It was a major mistake.

“Everyone there either came from old, old money or were all ‘old money wanna-be’s’. The old money people ignored me, and the wanna-be’s tried everything in the book to use my family’s name or the comfortable allowance I was on to be better than they were. It was horrible. I had no friends, and found it was far easier to retreat into the consistent behavior of math and science rather than trust those around me. And I’d never had the chance to develop any street smarts to be able to identify the frauds and users. So I developed a shell of a public personality just to survive.

“That continued on when I went to college in car-crazy California. Everyone knew my dad’s name, and they were all determined to use me to get ahead, especially if they needed a social boost or wanted to pursue something automotive.”

“Your dad must be someone big to have that kind of name—and he must have done well to be able to afford a private school like that.” Ryan’s leaning forward on his seat, following the story. “And it must have been a helluva house if you had a house captain. By the way, what is a house captain? He runs the house?”

“Oh it was a big house, all right, very formal, very lonely for a kid like me, with no friends at school, and there were no kids my age in the neighborhood. The house captain was the guy responsible for the operation of the house and grounds, managing the grounds staff, the maids, the cook, the drivers.”

Ryan leans back in his chair, shaking his head, seemingly somewhat overwhelmed by the concept of a residence having that kind of operation. He finally looks at me. “Go on….there’s more to this story, isn’t there?”

“Yes, there is. In fact, you know of my dad. You’re into cars, right?”

“Sure. That’s why I’m having so much fun at the Cadillac store.”

“Well, you already know some of the work of my father’s. Are you familiar with the original Continental? The Buick Y-Job? The Chrysler “Forward Look”? The Turbine Car. The 1961 Lincoln Continental? The 1963 Buick Riviera and Pontiac Grand Prix? The ’64 Mustang? The mid-60’s and early ‘70’s Corvettes? The 1975 Cadillac Seville?”

“Yeah, I know ‘em all. They were all icons, changing automotive direction in their fields for years.”

“Well, they were all designed by Dad.”

Ryan still looks questioning, but in a moment you could see the lightbulb go on over his head. “So your dad was….”

“Virgil Earl.”

“The man is a legend! He was a big proponent of clean, athletic designs. He had his hand on most of the car designs of that era. Wow!”

“And before. He originally served under the first design chief of any major U.S. automotive firm, and then later became the head after the original guy retired. Even on cars that he wasn’t given major credit for designing, he still had a hand in their creation.”

“Ok, so your dad was a big-deal car designer, and had done really well for himself. So his success is the reason for the different name?” Ryan’s inquisitive nature is back.

“The other part of the reason for the name change is because of my mother and her family. Dad met Mom while she was in college in Chicago, and he was already working in the design house at the first job he had before going to the auto manufacturer. They married just a few months after they met. She was from Ohio….”

“So why is your mom the cause of the name change?” Ryan’s impatience is showing; he’s a “bottom line” kind of guy.

“Hang on, Ryan, I’m getting there. Mom’s dad, my grandfather, developed and patented the process for bonding fabric plies to rubber, and developed the systems for molding rubber into tires. When Dad and Mom married, because of Dad’s connections in the auto business, and Mom’s family business, it was a natural fit. The automaker and Mom’s family made a deal, and Mom’s family became the exclusive provider of tires for all the cars and trucks produced by that firm. And that deal lasted up until 1969, and even after that, they were the primary, but not exclusive, tire provider for the manufacturer.”

“Wait, your mom owns a tire company?” Ryan’s getting into the story now.

“Yes. My mom’s maiden name was Goodstone.”

“What? Like the blimp? Like the world-wide tire and auto repair chain?”

“Yes.”

“So your dad’s a hot-shot car designer, and your mom’s family made some money from selling tires. So, you changed your name because of that?”

“They weren’t just notables, Ryan. They were famous and uber-rich. My dad and mom died years ago, as did my sisters. I am the last of the line, and I didn’t have any interest in running Mom’s company, so I sold it to another manufacturing conglomerate. I now serve on their board with a substantive but not controlling interest in their company. So I’m ‘well-fixed’, as they say here in the South.”

“Ok, so you’re worth millions.”

“Not millions, Ryan. Well over a billion. I also ended up with Alex’s partnership interest in what is now a global architectural firm. I’m now a silent partner in it—just collecting my share of the profits each year. And, I own the consulting firm that’s doing lead project management for NASA’s Mars landing.”

“Wow,” Ryan softly mutters. He’s quiet for a long while. I can see the gears turning as he absorbs all of this. “So you changed your name to avoid all the hassles that go with being rich?” He’s got a strange look on his face; he’s still thinking through it all.

“Yes, that’s part of it. But, I’m like you; I wanted to make it on my own. And even without the luck-of-a-draw inheritance, or my dad’s fame, I’ve done that. I’d be in good shape simply because of Alex’s career and my own.”

“So why are you telling me all of this now, Clayton?” He’s looking at me with both curiosity and something else: suspicion?

“Because I love you. Because it’s been eating me up inside—I didn’t feel we could progress any further in the relationship unless I could be open and honest with you. Because I was insecure about where I thought I was in the relationship, and I didn’t want all of my baggage—my family history and finances--to affect you getting to know me…the real me.”

Another long lull in the conversation—and it’s not comfortable.

“Look, you want to make it on your own, right? The whole ‘self-made-man’ attitude, right? Well, I wanted the same thing; to make a good life for myself without relying on Dad’s name or Mom and Dad’s money. And Alex had that same attitude, too. So after I’d told him my history, he understood, and we kept my secret. I never had to divulge that information to anyone. I never had to deal with those issues after we were together and Alex knew everything. Alex understood; I thought you’d see the logic in it all, too.”

“Wait…wait. You’re comparing me to Alex?” Ryan gave me a hard stare. “I don’t know much about Alex, but I don’t care how ‘logical’ you thought he was about all of this--I’m my own man; it’s gotta all make sense to me. And I’m not fuckin’ competing with a ghost, so stop with any comparison of me to him!”

What? He thinks I’m comparing him to Alex?

“No, no, Ryan, I didn’t mean that you….” Before I can finish Ryan interrupts me.

“I’m trying to understand, Clayton, I really am. Maybe I need to get used to the idea of that much money.” And with some sarcasm, “And I really do kinda sorta see the logic of keeping your secret; I don’t think I’m rolling on just an emotional response. But was all this a test, Clayton? I had to somehow ‘prove’ that I didn’t want your money or connections before you could trust me?” The glare he’s giving me is steel strong.

Uh oh. He’s really angry, maybe more….

“No, no, no….not at all, Ryan! I told you I love you, I thought you’d understand all of this, and I want to take us to the next level. I want you here full time. Like I’d said originally, this isn’t about you, not really, it’s about me and my own issues.”

“Fuckin’ bullshit.” Ryan’s eyes have narrowed, and the volume of his voice has clicked up several notches. “You didn’t fuckin’ trust me enough to know I don’t care about all that shit. I’d hoped the man I am had come through loud and clear—and I guess it didn’t. I’m hurt more than I can say, and I’m mad as hell you couldn’t or wouldn’t trust me.”

Ryan stands, somewhat shakily from the low-slung chair, then turns to look at me. “Have I ever asked you even once for money? I’ve paid for our meals, our drinks, I’ve tried to do my fair share. I don’t have the kind of money to cover everything that comes up; hell, I’m just a Marine car salesman from Nebraska. You know I’m on a budget, like everyone else. I’m not a fuckin’ user or social climber. And I’m definitely not like any of the men in your past. He moves toward the door going back into the house. “I need to get outta here….I gotta think.”

I’ve never seen him this angry before.

“Wait, wait….Ryan, don’t go. Stay here, let’s talk this through…please. I love you…if we can just talk this through, I know it’ll be all right.” I’ve started to cry, just because of the frustration of the situation. “Please…stay.” I’m following him into the house as he heads across the room.

This isn’t at all the way this should have gone. What did I do wrong?

“I gotta clear my head.” He’s striding toward the garage, stopping only to pick up the crutches he’s left leaned against the wall. “I can’t think here.”

Another stop at the door opening to the garage as he turns to look at me. “I guess I’ll see you later, Clayton.” And then he’s out the door; I hear his car start and back out of the garage.

This should have been a night of triumph, celebrating Ryan’s new independence with his “loaner” legs, and maybe even his commitment to move in.

Fuck…what have I done?

Thanks to all of you for your patience in waiting for this chapter--it took quite a bit of research, and was more difficult to write/get polished than I'd anticipated! A special thanks to my Editor, and to my Beta-Reader Refugium, who's input helped whittle down a long, long chapter into something far more manageable.
For all you "Grammar Gurus", in South Louisiana (perhaps because of the French or Spanish influences), you "make" groceries, you "fix" dinner, and when it's done, you "run over a plate" to share with your neighbors. It's a regional thing, and Clayton's use of it shows how he's integrated himself into the area.
Please, let me know how I'm doing with your likes--and better yet, your comments. Absolutely LOVE to get your input! And yes, the next chapter is underway, and should be out shortly!
I appreciate you sticking with the tale!
Copyright © 2016 Robert Rex; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 43
  • Love 1
  • Wow 7
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Somewhat of an over-reaction and/or his insecurity is showing. Hopefully fresh air will clear his head but he didn't hear what I read.
Nice chapter.
tim

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 05/30/2016 12:02 AM, Mikiesboy said:

Somewhat of an over-reaction and/or his insecurity is showing. Hopefully fresh air will clear his head but he didn't hear what I read.

Nice chapter.

tim

Thanks, Tim--and the next chapter will show more of what's going on. Looks like both guys have some baggage....

I appreciate your reading and commenting!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

While Ryan's reaction might have been a little overblown, it's not surprising he, and Clayton have issues. I find the story to be engrossing and look forward to more.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 05/30/2016 01:27 AM, avidreadr said:

While Ryan's reaction might have been a little overblown, it's not surprising he, and Clayton have issues. I find the story to be engrossing and look forward to more.

Avid, you're exactly right...Ryan's response is a little out there; in his defense he's gotten an a-bomb dropped on him, and his emotions--already at a high level because of his weekend legs--do seem over the top. Perhaps the next chapter will put some of that into perspective.

THANK YOU for reading along, and your kind comments!

Link to comment

Well, that was not what I expected from either of them. Ryan has some apologizing to do after this. :pissed: But Clayton was being overly cautious too. :rolleyes: I can't understand why money is such a big issue. :no:

Link to comment
On 05/30/2016 02:53 AM, Timothy M. said:

Well, that was not what I expected from either of them. Ryan has some apologizing to do after this. :pissed: But Clayton was being overly cautious too. :rolleyes: I can't understand why money is such a big issue. :no:

LOL! Yup, the guys can still surprise!

Ryan's obviously got some issues to work through here, the money (and it's enormity)? Comparisons to the late lover? And, is Clayton still so insecure with himself that he sees great wealth as a negative? The next chapter should help.

Besides, you know with most couples, money is the biggest issue in the relationship--in this case, a LOT of money. Gonna be fun to see how the guys work through it!

THANK YOU for your thoughts, and sticking with the story!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 05/30/2016 04:05 AM, dughlas said:

Communication is both speaking and listening ... Ryan needs to work on that.

You're absolutely right, Dughlas! Ryan really DID need to get out of there to clear his head, and think about what was said.

THANK YOU for sticking with the tale--and always appreciate your comments!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I can understand Clayton being sensitive about money. Your description of how he was used in school, including college for his name and wealth explained it well. People who buddy up to just because of money are users. Ryan isn't one but until Clayton got to know him and develop some trust, it's hard to let go of what for him is a survival technique. Once Ryan figures that out, he will be ok.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Ok. Read this twice. Went back and read the mentions of The Secret again. Here's what I think.
From the beginning we've been in Ryan's head. We've known his feelings and why he's done things and reacted a certain way. And then Clayton was added. We *somewhat* know what he's thinking and why he does the things he does.
I think choosing to kept the money secret from the reader, as well as Ryan, is a mistake. The direction you've gone in with the two narrators needs an all-or-nothing approach. In this story, either we're privy to their thought process completely, or we're not at all. I think it works for Clayton to be worried about how Ryan will take the news. It would work even better if the reader knows why Clayton is worried. If the reader knows Clayton is mega-rich, everything both characters say takes on extra weigh in the same way any talk of the wheelchair or walking or sleep/nightmares takes on extra weight because of what we know about Ryan. I think keeping Clayton's money a secret from readers is successful only if Clayton himself is a mystery to Ryan and the readers. If readers are in his head, we should know why he's hesitant to tell Ryan the truth. You can still build suspense, just in a different way.
Speaking of narrators, I also think it'd be more effective to ONLY be in the minds of Ryan and Clayton. Early on, we saw Ben's experience from his point of view. I think everyone else should be depicted in third person -- from the outside, not the inside.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 05/30/2016 05:57 AM, Daddydavek said:

I can understand Clayton being sensitive about money. Your description of how he was used in school, including college for his name and wealth explained it well. People who buddy up to just because of money are users. Ryan isn't one but until Clayton got to know him and develop some trust, it's hard to let go of what for him is a survival technique. Once Ryan figures that out, he will be ok.

It's remarkable what people will do to get access to the famous/powerful/wealthy, isn't it, Daddy? Far too often, that kind of drive hurts everyone around them. Clayton has certainly been scarred.

Ryan is certainly a solid guy, and I don't believe Clayton's trust has been misplaced--perhaps a lot for Ryan to deal with at once, but here's hoping he won't let his self-pride get in the way of his love for Clayton.

THANK YOU so much for reading and commenting--I appreciate it!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

OMG! Should have seen it coming, but didn't. Clayton has been dropping hints about a lot of money, but I would have thought he was getting to know Ryan well enough to trust him. I also think he would have been better off to feed Ryan the true story in smaller bits instead of dropping a big bomb. In my opinion Ryan's reaction was spot-on. The whole self-made-man issue is huge for him. No wonder Clayton was worried to tell all. I'll say it again: amazing writing to have me caring for these fictional characters. You were right. They are the kind of people that would make good friends and neighbors. And kudos to you for some cleverness. I googled the details of Clayton's family and loved how you borrowed from reality to create Clayton's story. Thank you and write quickly. I can't wait for more. Jeff

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 05/30/2016 06:22 AM, Geemeedee said:

Ok. Read this twice. Went back and read the mentions of The Secret again. Here's what I think.

From the beginning we've been in Ryan's head. We've known his feelings and why he's done things and reacted a certain way. And then Clayton was added. We *somewhat* know what he's thinking and why he does the things he does.

I think choosing to kept the money secret from the reader, as well as Ryan, is a mistake. The direction you've gone in with the two narrators needs an all-or-nothing approach. In this story, either we're privy to their thought process completely, or we're not at all. I think it works for Clayton to be worried about how Ryan will take the news. It would work even better if the reader knows why Clayton is worried. If the reader knows Clayton is mega-rich, everything both characters say takes on extra weigh in the same way any talk of the wheelchair or walking or sleep/nightmares takes on extra weight because of what we know about Ryan. I think keeping Clayton's money a secret from readers is successful only if Clayton himself is a mystery to Ryan and the readers. If readers are in his head, we should know why he's hesitant to tell Ryan the truth. You can still build suspense, just in a different way.

Speaking of narrators, I also think it'd be more effective to ONLY be in the minds of Ryan and Clayton. Early on, we saw Ben's experience from his point of view. I think everyone else should be depicted in third person -- from the outside, not the inside.

Gee, I appreciate your thoughtful comments!

From my perspective, Clayton's continued reference to his secret isn't about the money--he's had it all along, grown up with it, is used to it, and has dealt with the issues of how others have treated him. The issue he's been dealing with is how he's maintained a secret identity, how he's not been true with those around him--and done that for years! (After all, only Alex knew, and he'd told Alex 30-plus years ago.) And now that he trusts Ryan enough to reveal the truth about himself, it really didn't go the way he'd hoped. Just because we get insights into the characters lives by hearing their side of a story doesn't necessarily mean we get ALL the insights, or get them well in advance of turning-point events.

Clayton's public false identity isn't something that'd be easily discerned, unlike Ryan's wheelchair or legs or his desire to be his own man. And Ryan's been open about sharing his dreams with Clayton, so that's already "on the table". Clayton's issues go to the very perception of who he is (publicly) as a man, and it's an image he's worked to define--and after all this time, it's second nature to him, so he can talk about "his secret" to himself without doing full references to it.

As for Ben, you'll note his character is the only other character who's had his own voice in this tale--and that was deliberate. I don't believe I could have conveyed how easily, and perhaps quickly, Benoit swept him up and gained control over him with just dialogue among the other characters. It was (I believe) important to get those insights directly from him.

All in all you've given me lots to think about. I'm just sorry that you're not finding the story interesting or fun; perhaps my next story will be better for you (I hope I do better with each story!).

Again, your insights count for a lot--THANK YOU for sharing them!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 05/30/2016 07:02 AM, JeffreyL said:

OMG! Should have seen it coming, but didn't. Clayton has been dropping hints about a lot of money, but I would have thought he was getting to know Ryan well enough to trust him. I also think he would have been better off to feed Ryan the true story in smaller bits instead of dropping a big bomb. In my opinion Ryan's reaction was spot-on. The whole self-made-man issue is huge for him. No wonder Clayton was worried to tell all. I'll say it again: amazing writing to have me caring for these fictional characters. You were right. They are the kind of people that would make good friends and neighbors. And kudos to you for some cleverness. I googled the details of Clayton's family and loved how you borrowed from reality to create Clayton's story. Thank you and write quickly. I can't wait for more. Jeff

Jeff, I think your analysis is spot on...Clayton DID finally learn enough to trust Ryan--and in his eagerness to go further with the relationship, dropped it all on him at once. Should he have "spoon fed" the details to Ryan? Perhaps--but that genie is out of the bottle now, and the question becomes how they manage it all.

As for Clayton's history, well...I'd heard the story of the people you Googled, and found it intriguing; combining various personalities makes for an interesting backstory--it's almost like a medieval story of an arranged marriage between the daughter of a manufacturing icon with the manufacturer who needs those goods; both come out stronger.

THANK YOU for the kind words about these characters. I'm glad you're enjoying the guys and the tale! And yes, my stubby fingers are on the keyboard, banging out the new chapter ahead--and there's more fun ahead!

I appreciate your comments and your support!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 05/30/2016 12:24 PM, jtpawlik said:

I love this story! I can relate to what he is going through. My ex came from money.

Jtpawlik, I'm so very glad you're enjoying this tale!

F. Scott Fitzgerald once wrote, "Let me tell you about the rich. They are different from you and me." (This was done in a short story, "Rich Boy", and was actually somewhat fawning over the rich.) And having been involved with someone with money, you know first hand it can be true. I'll give Clayton credit, though--because of the family's money (or in spite of it!), he has tried to assume as normal an existence as possible by the use of his secret identity. What an effort that must have taken; not only to have a "normal" life, but to accept the money as a given, and yet not yield to its casual use.

THANK YOU for your comments--and keep reading (and commenting!). There's more to this tale....

  • Like 1
Link to comment

It seems Clayton was indeed very attuned to Ryan. It's why he was so worried all along.
Ryan needs a little time to cool down, but it actually showed how well Clayton knew his lover.

 

Bring us happiness in chapter 20, Rex!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 05/31/2016 01:59 PM, skinnydragon said:

It seems Clayton was indeed very attuned to Ryan. It's why he was so worried all along.

Ryan needs a little time to cool down, but it actually showed how well Clayton knew his lover.

 

Bring us happiness in chapter 20, Rex!

Skinny, isn't it remarkable that Clayton "knew" Ryan's reaction, and worried over it, even if he couldn't identify exactly why Ryan would react the way he did? And, perhaps, didn't it become a self-fulfilling prophecy for him?

Chapter 20 is on it's way....and THANK YOU for sticking with the tale, and your always interesting comments!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Hi Rex,
What I love the the most about your stories is how well you develop the characters.....like peeling an onion, a layer at a time. It gives us a peek ,just a peek of what's to come...all the time wondering just what else is there beyond our understanding.
I feel compassion for both Ryan and Clayton and hope that once the initial shock wears off that they can realize their partners POV
Really great chapter, full of humanity, with all its shortcomings and doubts.................:)Mike

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 06/01/2016 02:09 AM, flamingo136 said:

Hi Rex,

What I love the the most about your stories is how well you develop the characters.....like peeling an onion, a layer at a time. It gives us a peek ,just a peek of what's to come...all the time wondering just what else is there beyond our understanding.

I feel compassion for both Ryan and Clayton and hope that once the initial shock wears off that they can realize their partners POV

Really great chapter, full of humanity, with all its shortcomings and doubts.................:)Mike

Aw, Mike...you make me blush! I'm so very glad you enjoy this tale and the characters here. What a nice compliment!

 

Like all couples, communication is critical--and most couples don't have to deal with secret identities and incredible wealth; it's gonna be a challenge, I'm sure, for our heroes to work past all of this. But, hang on, there's hope ahead, and another of your favorite characters comes into play. (If I can get my nubby fingers going, I'm hoping to have the next chapter out on Friday.)

 

THANK YOU for the glowing comments--I really appreciate you and your always consistent support, especially on a tough chapter to write like this one!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I can't even imagine how hard it must have been to grow up knowing that every person who likes you probably has an ulterior motive for doing so. Clayton certainly has decades of past experiences where he trusted someone or opened up, only to later find out that the other person merely wanted to use him or take advantage of him. Like others have pointed out, maybe the protection mechanism he developed was so ingrained in his behavior that he couldn't help it. I seem to remember Clayton thinking to himself that Ryan had passed 'tests' every now and then. I can sympathize with Clayton, but I also understand Ryan's reaction. I would be pissed at finding out someone's been making me jump through hoops just so I can earn the boyfriend badge.
These two guys need to sit down and talk after tempers have cooled off.

 

Also, awesome chapter. I expected a juicy secret and you didn't disappoint!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 06/01/2016 05:53 AM, albertnothlit said:

I can't even imagine how hard it must have been to grow up knowing that every person who likes you probably has an ulterior motive for doing so. Clayton certainly has decades of past experiences where he trusted someone or opened up, only to later find out that the other person merely wanted to use him or take advantage of him. Like others have pointed out, maybe the protection mechanism he developed was so ingrained in his behavior that he couldn't help it. I seem to remember Clayton thinking to himself that Ryan had passed 'tests' every now and then. I can sympathize with Clayton, but I also understand Ryan's reaction. I would be pissed at finding out someone's been making me jump through hoops just so I can earn the boyfriend badge.

These two guys need to sit down and talk after tempers have cooled off.

 

Also, awesome chapter. I expected a juicy secret and you didn't disappoint!

Albert, you captured the struggle going on between our two heroes perfectly; Clayton's "conditioning" to be ultra-wary of anyone, and Ryan pissed that he's been "tested", perhaps not trusted. (BTW, I'm not at all certain that Clayton actually set Ryan up to be tested; more that Clayton noticed how Ryan behaved when in certain situations. Clayton's maybe hyper-aware of money/status situations. And Ryan's loathe to do anything that would require help from someone else; he's bought into the "I did it myself" theme wholeheartedly.)

Glad you liked the chapter, and glad the secret identity didn't disappoint!

And, THANK YOU for hanging with the tale and your ongoing encouragement--it means a LOT!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I am sorry for having had to take a break. But this chapter really puts Ryan in the spot. You painted Clayton's nervousness and anguish very well. Ryan feels compared, manipulated and found wanting all at once. Tough to take that, especially after his emotional high. But if he leaves, where will he find the connection he's had with Clayton? Gotta catch up on the next chapter, but this one is winner.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Except for the element of surprise, I stand by my comment from my first read. Your characters are people I'd like to know and be friends with, and I'm loving their story just as much the second time around! Thanks.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Rex, I love, love, love the work and research you put in for this chapter and the reveal!  I love when an author teaches me something or leads me to something new.  The History 101 from your previous chapter is amazing writing,  But having been a part of that time, too, it didn't take me anywhere I hadn't been.  Your name blend for Clayton, however, lead me to Virgil Exner and then Harley Earl, then the birth of the Corvette, (the 1968 model is a personal favorite,) and then more! I am positively giddy.

 

High praise as well, for your depiction of "old money" and how differently the excessively rich thinking can be in comparison.  Having dealt with the strangeness of it from my mother's side, I feel blessed that she chose a simpler life to pass on to my siblings and me.  I agree I got the feeling early on that Clayton wasn't testing Ryan, but was taking note of his ethics not just regarding money, but with friendships, relationships, and life in general.  Something my age and experience has led me to regard in my relationships these days.  They say, “with age comes wisdom,” if we’re lucky.  ~chuckle~

 

All I see here is another opportunity that could be shattered or missed by lack of communication.  I think Ryan taking the time to cool down is good.  I'm just concerned that if he doesn't keep processing this while it's fresh, it will harden his thinking and heart from talking it through with Clayton.  Hope he seeks clarity from a friend.  Now would be a good time to bring in Rex or Joe, I think.

 

I can’t wait to read on to see how you resolved this conundrum.  😃 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..