Jump to content
    Robert Rex
  • Author
  • 1,862 Words
  • 4,109 Views
  • 27 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Lion's Lair - 7. Somethin's Got To Give, Part Deux

You'd probably missed the previous chapter--and that's my fault, since I screwed up the publishing date (last week) during some editing! So consider this a "two-fer" week; if you missed it, go back, read the previous chapter--hopefully "liking" it and DEFINITELY reviewing it--then back to this one.
Thanks for your patience and understanding on this screw up. Now, on with the story.

“God gave you two ears and one mouth—so take the hint!”

A teacher in middle school once quoted that in class, and it stuck with me. Mom world quote it occasionally as well, prefacing it with, "Clayton, pay attention...."

Using that philosophy has served me well--it really helps me get to know people without me asking a lot of questions. The old line of "Everyone wants to tell their story, all they need is someone to listen" fits.

So when I was at the crawfish boil that Joe and Rex had on Sunday, I learned a lot without being nosey or voyueristic.

I was talking with Jennay and her girlfriend Dixie. They're out-of-their-minds excited since their adoption of a Honduran infant has been approved. The baby is going to have to have surgery to correct a cleft palate, but they should be able to get their child within the next month or so.

Rex is in the process of finalizing the closing of their house, so they'll have a great spot for the new little girl. The infant is six months old, and they're breathless that this is happening so quickly--they were showing everyone pictures on their phone, and she is a cutie.

It's really great to see the formation of a new family, and I'm hopeful that someone in the group will at least sponsor a baby shower for them. I'll talk with Barry about the bar hosting the event. God knows it's expensive to get set up for a new baby.

But, Jennay and Dixie also reported some off-putting information. They were at the bar last Sunday afternoon when a rough group of bikers came in. They weren't your usual bankers, attorneys, and doctors riding big Hogs – – this was a rough-looking group of street thugs, tatted up with ugly ink, filthy clothes, loudly obnoxious and obscene.

Bryant, the regular Sunday afternoon bartender, served them cheerfully and they only stayed for a couple of beers, but their presence was enough to make both women pay attention and incite comments from all the bar's patrons.

Dave, Barry's lover, was standing nearby and overheard the conversation. "Yeah, Bryant reported it to Barry. We're going to be on the watch for these guys again. I don't know that they'll become regulars--Barry didn't seem too concerned about that--but at the same time we want everyone to be comfortable. Barry will take care of 'em if they come in again."

Unfortunately, Barry wasn't there for the boil. Dave filled us in on his rough night; after he came home from the bar Saturday night, he started throwing up. Apparently a bug of some kind, or maybe bad food. "I told Barry not to worry, that I'd eat his share of crawfish." He must have been pretty sick since Barry loves shellfish.

Chuck Edmondson, a local sheriff's deputy, was there with his boyfriend, Larry, a heating and cooling serviceman. Chuck has a lot going on in his life. His divorce was finalized last week, and, with shy smiles, it came out that he and his boyfriend had sex for the first time. They took a lot of good-natured ribbing for that but explained they both made the decision to hold off on sex until Chuck was technically a single man. They'd been seeing each other for the last six months, so I'm sure it was a challenge for them to hold off on the physical activities.

They were cute--acting just like newlyweds. Neither one could take their eyes or hands off each other, constantly touching, arm around the other's shoulders, holding hands enough I'm surprised they were able to peel their crawfish later.

It's going to be interesting to see how the group responds when they learn that Ryan and I have not had sex either. I'm sure there’ll be even more good-hearted harassment.

I was talking with Rex as he stirred the boiling crawfish pot while Ryan was inside their house, and commented about the new ramps they built. Rex just looked at me and nodded. "You and Ryan are going to be over here a lot – I know that already. I'm really looking forward to getting to know both of you better. You're both good guys, and make a great couple, so the future's going to be fun."

I laughingly asked, "So you can see the future? And just exactly how does that work?"

Rex looked me squarely in the eyes and, totally seriously, replied, "It's just a gift. A tingly feeling I've learned to recognize. No, I'm not nuts, although it sounds crazy. We'll talk more later, but trust me, y'all are going to be together, and y'all are going to be over here regularly. Count on it." And then he smiled a ...what, "benevolent" I guess is the best word, smile.

I'm dumbstruck. How do you respond to something like that?

"Look, I know it sounds insane but I also know instinctively that I can trust you knowing this. Clayton, it's something you need to to be aware of as you move forward with Ryan. And, if you'll give me some time this week I'll explain it all to you over lunch or drinks one day. I'm really not insane. Just consider this as part of the trust that goes in to making our friendship more solid, OK?" Rex looks and waits patiently for my response.

I returned a smile and nod. This is going to be interesting. But, Rex always shows himself to be a solid guy both in his dealings with me as well as with others. I need to approach this with a fair and open mind.

"Fair enough. I'm looking forward to this. And if it makes our friendship even better, that's great, too." Rex nods agreement just as a herd of kids come racing down the ramp from the back porch, with Ryan and Joe a dozen feet behind 'em.

"Better get a move on, Rex, the animals sound hungry," Rex mutters to himself as he announces to everyone that the crawfish are ready after asking the kids if they'd washed their hands, and getting Joe to help drain the pot before spreading the crawfish on the newspaper-covered tabletops.

As offbeat as Rex's "ESP confession" was, I was even more perturbed by comments Larry made while we were eating.

Larry had gone to the grocery to get ready for dinner later that night with Chuck. While he was there, he ran into Ben. "It's been almost a month since I've seen Ben, and I was shocked. The man looks like absolute shit. He's probably lost 15 pounds, he looks like he hasn't slept in days. Looks like he'd been in a barroom brawl, with a black eye, and bruises all over his hands and arms. Even had a few bruises on his jawline. I don't know what's up with the guy."

"What'd he say when you asked him about it?" Chuck beat me to the punch with his question.

"That's the thing that was funny about it all. I swear to God he was trying to dodge me. I just happened to see him and yelled out across the checkout clerks before he could get out. He had his head down, and was damn near jogging toward the door."

Larry took a chug of beer before starting to peel the next crawfish and continue his story. "After I'd yelled, he came over and said hello, said he had a bunch of frozen food, and had to get home quickly. Really didn't offer an explanation for any of it."

Another chug of beer and another crawfish attacked. "Told him I hoped we'd see him at the bar soon and he just nodded yes and then headed out. Really didn't say more than a few words. Strange. He's normally damn friendly."

Something's wrong. I'll call him tomorrow.

One other bit of interesting information I picked up was that Ryan has a meeting with his doctor in New Orleans on Wednesday, which I already knew about, but will also apparently be meeting with the prosthetic supplier to start the initial stages of getting fitted with his legs.

I happened to walk up just as he almost completed a sentence while talking with Joe, "... and then Wednesday the fit of the legs is...." There's a moment of awkward silence, then Joe asked how things were at the Cadillac dealership.

I wonder what he's up to. There's got to be a reason why he didn't tell me about it.

Another thing I'll find out.

The afternoon wasn't just listening to idle chatter, and getting insights into others lives. If anything, I got to see a more public side of Ryan.

He's get the energy and friendliness of a puppy. He'd go up, and say hello to everyone, trading friendly greetings and hugs with those he knew. For those he hadn't met yet, he'd roll his wheelchair up to them, stick out his hand, and introduce himself. Within 5 minutes, even with the new people, you'd have thought they were old friends.

And, even though I know at times he's self-conscious about being in the wheelchair, the man shows no fear in his dealings publicly with others. And his warmth washes out the image many people seem to have of a guy in a wheelchair--he's just a great guy. Period. The wheelchair disappears into the background quickly.

Despite--or maybe because of--his insecurities, I've found him to be remarkably direct and open when with me. He speaks his mind pretty freely with me. I like to think that's because of the trust we've built, plus he knows I do care deeply for him. Am I a therapist to him? No; just a trusted confidant.

Yes, I know he's had a couple of times around me when his insecurities about his legs came through; I'm certain there's a little more of that when he's alone. But overall he seems to manage remarkably well, if nothing else by strength of his will.

To tell the truth, he's gotten to me. My days are interspersed with day dreams of him and the mundane things of life. My nights are filled with fantasies of the luxurious intimacy of our sleeping together, far beyond just images of sex. And his glance, his touch incite lust like I haven't felt in years. His appeal crosses all the lines: physical, intellectual, emotional.

We've never used the "L word", but I believe he feels it every bit as strongly as I. Perhaps it's time.

Be real...you're crazy about the guy. Maybe Rex's premonition about a future for Ryan and me is right.

Maybe dinner Wednesday night. We can do a movie, pasta, and clear the air. Besides, its time I let him into my private space of home--the lair I control and use to rebuild myself at the deepest levels.

I may even tell him my deepest secret--if I'm strong enough.

It's time to move to the next level or give up. Yes, he's gotten to me that deeply.

All I know is something's got to give.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I appreciate your following the story.
Copyright © 2016 Robert Rex; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 47
  • Love 2
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Seriously? Thats all your're giving us? Hmmm, well be prepared for boos and catcalls!
Other than the extremely short length of this chapter, I have no complaints. Very moreish!
Waiting for dinner on Wednesday, even if it is pasta!
Nice chapter,

 

tim

  • Like 3
Link to comment

So...things are heating up between the boys. Sounds like Ryan has a "surprise" in store from Clayton. And is the some occult coming with Rex's abilities? Keep 'em coming Robert!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Agree with Tim in that I want more, like seconds and thirds on crawfish boil...so good for Clayton that he is recognizing what he feels for Ryan is something bigger and better than mere dating...all that news Clayton gathered must be good for something later...waiting for you to put some of these pieces together...like how about in the next hour or so?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 02/19/2016 12:30 AM, Mikiesboy said:

Seriously? Thats all your're giving us? Hmmm, well be prepared for boos and catcalls!

Other than the extremely short length of this chapter, I have no complaints. Very moreish!

Waiting for dinner on Wednesday, even if it is pasta!

Nice chapter,

 

tim

LOL! Sorry the chapter was shorter than normal--but the next chapter will make up for that. Wednesday is gonna turn out to be a VERY long day for Ryan...so get ready!

Thanks for the review/comments!

Link to comment
On 02/19/2016 12:52 AM, Zenith said:

So...things are heating up between the boys. Sounds like Ryan has a "surprise" in store from Clayton. And is the some occult coming with Rex's abilities? Keep 'em coming Robert!

Ryan definitely has something in the works for Clayton...so keep your eyes peeled for the next couple of chapters!

As for Rex, we'd learned in "Landfall" that Rex has some skills at "reading" people/circumstances. He'd explained it there as something we all have, like knowing who's calling as the phone rings without looking at the caller ID--but he's proven his skills there are a little more involved. His insight in Clayton/Ryan are certainly positive here. We'll see if he provides any other explanations to Clayton later.

Thanks for reading and the remarks! I appreciate it!

Link to comment
On 02/19/2016 12:56 AM, Parker Owens said:

Agree with Tim in that I want more, like seconds and thirds on crawfish boil...so good for Clayton that he is recognizing what he feels for Ryan is something bigger and better than mere dating...all that news Clayton gathered must be good for something later...waiting for you to put some of these pieces together...like how about in the next hour or so?

LOL! I'm writing as fast as I can! Yup, there are lots of bits and pieces in this chapter, and think the pieces will fall into place--and hope you'll like the way that happens.

As for the extra crawfish? Come on over--I'll take care of that for ya! The next chapter of the story, however, will be out next Thursday. But you're right--both Ryan and Clayton recognize there's more going on between 'em.

Thanks for the comments, and thanks for following this tale. I appreciate it!

Link to comment

Well done, Rex, keep telling them to admit their feelings and commit to love and each other until they give in. Those two guys need to start building their future together right away, why waste any more time when it feels right? :yes:
Oh and well done, Robert, on getting the hungry birds cheeping. :lol:

  • Like 2
Link to comment

OK Rex, I was about to become one of those hungry birds until I read tim's review. So since he already said it, I got a reprieve. :P

 

Before I go further, I called the crayfish boil a 'bbq' in my ch6 review. I realize that's a great faux pas in certain parts of the States, so I apologize. Dragons aren't usually involved in bbqs or boils, so we're a little ignorant in that regard.

 

I'm glad Rex was there to explain to Clayton he was going to be part of a couple. Let's get these two together already! ;)hehe.

 

Am I reading too much into Bikers/Barry/sickness? I hope so.

 

Can't wait for what you promised next!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 02/19/2016 04:46 AM, Timothy M. said:

Well done, Rex, keep telling them to admit their feelings and commit to love and each other until they give in. Those two guys need to start building their future together right away, why waste any more time when it feels right? :yes:

Oh and well done, Robert, on getting the hungry birds cheeping. :lol:

Timothy, with a couple of hard-headed guys, you gotta keep nagging away to make it all soak in, right? But you're correct--it's time, and God knows, it's apparently feeling right!

Thanks for the read and the comments. I appreciate you!

Link to comment
On 02/19/2016 05:14 AM, skinnydragon said:

OK Rex, I was about to become one of those hungry birds until I read tim's review. So since he already said it, I got a reprieve. :P

 

Before I go further, I called the crayfish boil a 'bbq' in my ch6 review. I realize that's a great faux pas in certain parts of the States, so I apologize. Dragons aren't usually involved in bbqs or boils, so we're a little ignorant in that regard.

 

I'm glad Rex was there to explain to Clayton he was going to be part of a couple. Let's get these two together already! ;)hehe.

 

Am I reading too much into Bikers/Barry/sickness? I hope so.

 

Can't wait for what you promised next!

Skinny, what? You were hungry, too? LOL

Not a problem about BBQ vs. Crawfish boil. Dragons get lots of latitude with me.

I think in some ways, Rex just stated the obvious--the guys have a future together. Now if we can just get 'em off dead-center.

Trust me, the Wednesday night dinner at Claton's coming up with get to ya--lots of stuff happening there.

THANK YOU for reading/commenting!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Ok Rex...........That was a lot of intel for us to ponder over for the next few days....wondering what each tidbit means and how it all fits into the puzzle....I am content (NOT) to wait until then for you to reveal more.....Begging for more !!!!!!!!! :)Mike
I don't usually beg!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 02/19/2016 06:17 AM, flamingo136 said:

Ok Rex...........That was a lot of intel for us to ponder over for the next few days....wondering what each tidbit means and how it all fits into the puzzle....I am content (NOT) to wait until then for you to reveal more.....Begging for more !!!!!!!!! :)Mike

I don't usually beg!

Did I mention that as a Dom, I love it when you beg?

This chapter really DID cover a lot of stuff, so hang on...there's a lot ahead, and I'm hoping you'll enjoy it. The Wednesday night dinner at Clayton's will be noteworthy. (And, just so you know, your favorite, Dave, is in the picture again in a few chapters....)

I really appreciate your reading/comments/support. Thanks!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Okkkkkkkk...great chapter, but did you have to leave us in limbo on sooooooo many things here??? Geezzzzzzzzz, I don't know where to start asking questions!! Guess I'll just have to tune in next chapter...lol...(as if we had a choice) :rolleyes: Awesome the way you're showing the growth of the guy's relationship through both their perspectives, almost simultaneously, brilliantly done!!! Soooooooooooo, that being said, when can we get our next "2 Fer"... :thumbup: Seriously, Rex...thanks for sharing the marvelous talent! :thankyou::wub:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 02/19/2016 05:10 PM, Onim said:

Okkkkkkkk...great chapter, but did you have to leave us in limbo on sooooooo many things here??? Geezzzzzzzzz, I don't know where to start asking questions!! Guess I'll just have to tune in next chapter...lol...(as if we had a choice) :rolleyes: Awesome the way you're showing the growth of the guy's relationship through both their perspectives, almost simultaneously, brilliantly done!!! Soooooooooooo, that being said, when can we get our next "2 Fer"... :thumbup: Seriously, Rex...thanks for sharing the marvelous talent! :thankyou::wub:

So very glad you're enjoying the story, Onim! And you're right--plenty of stuff going on here--Clayton's right, we can learn lots if we just listen.

As for the next "two-fer", don't know that'll happen soon, but promise, future chapters will be slightly longer, and will cover a little more info. How's that for a compromise?

THANK YOU for following the story, and your comments. I appreciate you!

Link to comment

Yes, Clayton. Rex is not insane, listen to him. Also, yes, you and Ryan are on the same page about your feelings. You should tell each other soon.. You are strong enough to tell him your deepest secret. You can trust him as much as he trusts you.. How's that for a pep talk.

 

I have a feeling Wednesday is going to be great.. Too bad I have to wait until Thursday to find out for sure..
Nice chapter Robert..

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Omg, I surely hope that Clayton's secret is that he's into dom sub relationships and not that he's sick. Bikers- I'm thinking douchebag took Dan to that club with the sling where the bikers happened to be and ( ugh) participate? Perhaps they are scoping out new subs...
oh! I'm gonna make a crayfish boil but with lingustines as I can't get crayfish where I live. Thanks for the inspiration :-)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 02/22/2016 06:50 AM, bundu_st said:

Omg, I surely hope that Clayton's secret is that he's into dom sub relationships and not that he's sick. Bikers- I'm thinking douchebag took Dan to that club with the sling where the bikers happened to be and ( ugh) participate? Perhaps they are scoping out new subs...

oh! I'm gonna make a crayfish boil but with lingustines as I can't get crayfish where I live. Thanks for the inspiration :-)

Clayton's secret will be revealed in due time, once he's comfortable--we already know his previous lover knew the details, but they were together a year before he knew--so obviously Clayton has to build trust in Ryan.

As for the bikers, and club activities; well, that group sounded far to rowdy to live in the confines of the club. Perhaps Clayton can get the truth from Ben about what's really going on.

Lingustines? don't know what that is.

THANK YOU for the comments--and for reading along with the tale!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/21/2016 10:10 AM, Defiance19 said:

Yes, Clayton. Rex is not insane, listen to him. Also, yes, you and Ryan are on the same page about your feelings. You should tell each other soon.. You are strong enough to tell him your deepest secret. You can trust him as much as he trusts you.. How's that for a pep talk.

 

I have a feeling Wednesday is going to be great.. Too bad I have to wait until Thursday to find out for sure..

Nice chapter Robert..

It's gonna be fun to watch the interaction with Clayton and Rex--their upcoming lunch will certainly be interesting!

And, yeah, Clayton is moving along slowly, but certain your pep talk helped! And "Wednesday" is gonna be a long day (may actually turn into 2 chapters!), so get ready!

Seriously delighted that you're enjoying the story; THANK YOU for your comments!

Link to comment

Chuck and Larry... I love it! I still remember when you sent me the chapter with Larry, and I thought 'what a douche'... but you have redeemed him and Chuck both for me... well, I guess Barry was the one who set Larry straight :) . I got a lot of questions, buddy, but I know you'll get around to answering them in your own good time. You need to save Ben for me, though... I'm starting to care about the guy... maybe find him a good man... please. Great chapter, Rex... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 02/26/2016 04:44 AM, Headstall said:

Chuck and Larry... I love it! I still remember when you sent me the chapter with Larry, and I thought 'what a douche'... but you have redeemed him and Chuck both for me... well, I guess Barry was the one who set Larry straight :) . I got a lot of questions, buddy, but I know you'll get around to answering them in your own good time. You need to save Ben for me, though... I'm starting to care about the guy... maybe find him a good man... please. Great chapter, Rex... cheers... Gary....

Chuck and Larry each came in with a bunch of baggage--and it's nice to see that in many ways they've worked through that to build a relationship.

Glad you've got questions--but you're totally correct, I'm hoping I'll get 'em answered for you in future chapters. And, Ben is a good guy, who I think may be in "over his head" in his current involvement. I'll see what I can do about playing matchmaker ... but as you know, these characters develop their own lives, and don't always cooperate with our input!

THANKS for reading and commenting, buddy!

Link to comment

Why do I get the feeling Benoit has introduced Ben to Tina and having his fun with the guy while he's distracted by the bitch? Let me know if I need to crack some heads! Now about those trashy bikers... I may know them :yes:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 03/03/2016 04:30 AM, Carlos Hazday said:

Why do I get the feeling Benoit has introduced Ben to Tina and having his fun with the guy while he's distracted by the bitch? Let me know if I need to crack some heads! Now about those trashy bikers... I may know them :yes:

Benoit is obviously using Ben--and Tina may be involved. Hell, with that guy, anything is possible! You may need to do some bitch-slapping by the time it's all done.

As for the bikers, you may know 'em--but know you don't run with 'em; not your style!

Glad you're here with the tale, buddy! Thanks for the comments!

Link to comment
On 2/18/2016 at 9:14 PM, skinnydragon said:

OK Rex, I was about to become one of those hungry birds until I read tim's review. So since he already said it, I got a reprieve. :P

 

Before I go further, I called the crayfish boil a 'bbq' in my ch6 review. I realize that's a great faux pas in certain parts of the States, so I apologize. Dragons aren't usually involved in bbqs or boils, so we're a little ignorant in that regard.

 

I'm glad Rex was there to explain to Clayton he was going to be part of a couple. Let's get these two together already! ;)hehe.

 

Am I reading too much into Bikers/Barry/sickness? I hope so.

 

Can't wait for what you promised next!

I hope so too. Let's see how the biker crowd work out. 

Link to comment
On 2/21/2016 at 10:50 PM, bundu_st said:

Omg, I surely hope that Clayton's secret is that he's into dom sub relationships and not that he's sick. Bikers- I'm thinking douchebag took Dan to that club with the sling where the bikers happened to be and ( ugh) participate? Perhaps they are scoping out new subs...
oh! I'm gonna make a crayfish boil but with lingustines as I can't get crayfish where I live. Thanks for the inspiration 🙂

Ah. Clayton as dom/sub. I never thought of that. Hmmm.

Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..