Jump to content
    Robert Rex
  • Author
  • 3,070 Words
  • 3,746 Views
  • 26 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Lion's Lair - 23. It's All Good--or is it?

After a long delay, and too much drama (none of it self-inflicted!), I'm back....with a new chapter! (And if you're interested in details of the drama, e-mail me.) The story is finished, so check here regularly for the rest of the tale.

Once our banking business was finished, Ryan headed off to his job; I headed to work. Truth be told, I enjoy the 30-minute commute—it gives me time to think on the relatively uncrowded interstate, I can plan my workday/workweek, plus decompress when the workday ends.

Before planning the workweek—which I knew would be busy as hell—I decided to call Rex. We’d talked about getting together for lunch this week, and since I had a dental appointment in town tomorrow morning, we could get together after that. Rex promised he’d explain his “Spidey Sense” and I’m holding him to that.

Even though it’s only 9:30am, Rex answers my call on the first ring. “Good morning, Clayton! How’s your Monday going?” The man is a bundle of energy to start his day.

“I’m doing well, Rex, just driving in to work. You’d mentioned getting together for lunch this week, and I wanted to see how your tomorrow looked. I’ve got a dental appointment, and thought we could do coffee or an early lunch following that. How’s your schedule look for that?”

After checking his calendar, we’re set. I’ll call him when I’m done at the dentist’s office. After typical pleasantries, I end the call, and mentally plan my workweek.

It’s going to be a busy week. In addition to my standard project management duties, I’ll be hosting a conference on Wednesday and Thursday, with my firm bringing together some noted innovators to plan for the Mars mission. I’m proud to have created this conference, bringing together some of the best people on the planet to plan for the future—a collaborative effort between business, industry, and government on this scale has never been done before, as far as I know.

I’ve apparently talked about this enough that Ryan now kids me about how I’m allowing my “inner geek” to run rampant. As an engineer, I’ve been trained to be somewhat obsessive about the details of any project—and the vision of having a small part in the exploration of Mars is both exciting and awe inspiring. Although I’ve fought against the engineer stereotype to focus only on minute details, I’ve given myself permission to turn the inner geek loose from time to time. Ryan has good-naturedly learned to survive with an occasional eye roll and a “grin and bear it” attitude. I’ve not inflicted this on Joe, Rex, Bubba, or Bulldog—yet—but it may come out as a part of the new more-open me.

NASA will be in attendance, bringing the cutting-edge science and engineering prowess for which they’re recognized worldwide. Elon Musk, co-founder of PayPal, founder of Tesla—the motorcar firm and energy specialist--will be there, too. His firm, SpaceX is the largest private producer of rocket engines in the world, and has successfully landed and re-used booster rockets for launch. The company has the contract to supply transportation for people and supplies to the International Space Station, and developed its own tentative approach for development of a colony on Mars. He and his team’s “out of the box” thinking may provide real insights on the plans NASA has on the drawing board.

Dr. Robert Zubrin and his team from the Mars Society will be here as well. The Mars Society started as a collaborative effort among engineers, scientists, educators, astronomers, and business promoting the goal of colonization of Mars. He invented the “magnetic sail”, and his team has done research on the isolation and issues affecting a Martian colony by building a manned habitat in the Utah desert—an environment which can simulate the hostile environment facing settlers.

They’ve developed an ambitious plan to send automated systems to Mars before settlers arrive which would use that planet’s resources to create the oxygen, chemicals, and water astronauts would need upon arrival—thus reducing the bulk and costs of transporting all of those items. This “live off the land” approach is a radical difference from NASA’s “take everything you’re going to need with you” attitude, and demonstrates truly unique problem-solving approaches.

James Cameron, the noted filmmaker, and his team will also be attending. In addition to prodigious creative skills, he’s developed a separate skill set in dealing with the challenges of underwater exploration, thanks to his involvement in the Titanic movie and subsequent deep sea research projects. His approaches and thinking have helped shape new innovations in managing the hostile environment found in the ocean’s depths—and his creative vision of science in a new world, as shown in Avatar, have resulted in remarkable shifts in thinking of how each component of an environment might interact with other components.

It should be an amazing two-day conference as we review NASA’s plans so far… and for those who want to stay over and explore New Orleans, we’ve made arrangements with a hotel in the heart of the French Quarter for their accommodations through the weekend.

It is a long Monday, but productive, finalizing details for the conference.

When I get home, Ryan is already there, poring over his computer. After I lean in to retrieve a welcoming kiss, he points to the screen. “I’ve already got an email from Washington. Part of it is a tentative schedule of activities, and I’m filling out a questionnaire about me.”

“Good. Would you like another beer?” Ryan had already had one, now half empty as he works on the form, and I can definitely use a gin and tonic.

“Nah, I’m good.”

We talk about dinner options, and decide to just order pizza, since neither one of us is in the mood to cook. It’d been a busy Monday for him, too.

After the pizza arrives, we finish up the form. Remarkably, it is a productive experience for me. I learned Ryan’s birthday (December 21), learned that his dad was deceased. I learned he had two brothers (both evangelical, neither dealt well with his coming out, and didn’t know how to handle his loss of legs) and that he had only seen them briefly right after he returned to Omaha. Sadly, they’d made no effort to be involved in his life since then. Ryan isn’t bitter about it, just recognizes it as a past chapter, and has moved forward with his life.

One item that did come up was when he points out he’d listed me as spouse/partner. “Are you ok with that, Clayton? It’s outing me, but it’s also outing you.”

I must admit, that did cause me to stop and think. This is probably the most public proclamation of who I am, since it’ll probably be casually mentioned in a passing press release or two. But, at this point, who cares? It’s not like my career or earnings are threatened, and other than perhaps dealing with some occasional Southern redneck attitudes—and I’ll deal with those—there’s really no issues I can see. Besides, being with Ryan is plenty of reward for any perceived challenges.

Ryan also mentioned that he’d given my name and number to his contact at the Pentagon, telling her I was coordinating his trip up. We now have tentative dates for the trip—and if Rex, Joe, Bubba, and Bulldog are ok with it, we can take a couple of extra days to explore Washington, or maybe do a weekend in New York.

Now that we have the dates, Ryan calls Rex and Joe, who are every bit as excited as Dave and Barry were about the honor, and invited them up for the ceremony. He mentions taking off a couple of extra days and they were all for it, contingent on Joe being able to take off from his welding job for a few days—which he didn’t think would be a problem.

Ryan also calls Dave and Barry, confirm the dates with them, and they said it’d work out well to take the extra days. They’re looking forward to it as a mini-vacation.

Tomorrow I’ll call to set up arrangements for the trip. I’ve already got a hotel in mind, and it’s just a matter of taking care of the flight arrangements, and ground transportation.

We fell into the abyss of sleep that night, both exhausted.

The routine appointment at the dentist went well, and I was out by 10:30am—later than I’d expected, but understandable since my appointment for cleaning and x-rays was pushed back due to a teenager who’d fallen from his skateboard and broken a couple of teeth.

Lunch with Rex was … interesting. He’s quite a character, totally charming, totally engrossing. And he did explain his “Spidey sense”. “It’s just a gut-level feeling that I’ve learned to trust. You know how you sometimes know who’s calling before you answer the call without looking at caller ID? It’s kinda like that—just a little more involved. If it’s during a face-to-face meeting, I guess I also pick up on their emotions at the time, too. It’s kinda like with you—you’re a man with his own secrets, and despite your money, you prefer to live a quiet life.”

I just nodded agreement after getting over my initial astonishment. He had me totally pegged. And, after all, what can you say to something like that? I’m convinced, though, that he’s under-selling it, since his instincts seem far more involved than just a gut-level feeling.

After lunch, headed to my office, finalizing the details for the conference, then back home later that afternoon. I reminded Ryan of the conference when he got home, and told him to fend for himself for dinner on Wednesday night, since my company was hosting a reception for the guests after Wednesday’s seminar ended, and I’d be home late.

The initial conference day on Wednesday went exceptionally well. By mid-afternoon, ideas of how to work the problems faced with placing colonists on Mars were flying around, and my secretarial staff was struggling to keep up with all the input. And, as most conferences do, the ideas continued over drinks long after the end of the formal meeting. I made everyone promise to take notes and turn them in to the staff—you never know when someone’s new idea will play off an idea gestated by another.

I didn’t get in until 10:30pm that night. Ryan was propped up, watching Jimmy Fallon on the Tonight Show. We caught up on each other’s day and curled up together, drifting off to an easy sleep.

Thursday’s conference was even better than the previous day. At this point, everyone was relaxed, comfortable with a free exchange of ideas, and happy with the shared sense of discovery and purpose. When the conference ended that day, I know that solid friendships had formed, and such conferences would be a regular occurrence. Plus, with half of the group staying over to party in New Orleans over the weekend, the drinking bonds would encourage even more solid friendships.

Despite the success of the conference, I arrived home absolutely exhausted at 7pm. Ryan hadn’t made it in yet—his note on the kitchen counter reminded me of his therapy session, and that he’d be late. A long hot shower helped wash away the remnants of the workday.

Once out of the shower with a fresh pair of shorts and t-shirt, I called the tire company in Tokyo and was connected with the liaison contact with the Board of Directors. “Hello, this is Clayton Jameson. I have a request for use of one of the corporate jets on August 8th, with a flight from here in Slidell to Washington DC. There will be six of us traveling up, preferably landing in Reagan Washington National Airport, with a departure time of 10am. Is there a plane available on that date and time?”

“Just a moment, Mr. Jameson, I’ll check.” A few moments later, she’s back on the line. “Yes, sir, we’ll have a plane for you on that date there at the Slidell airport. And your departure back to Slidell?”

“Let’s set a tentative date of August 12th at 7pm—but understand, that’s tentative. I’ll be able to confirm that date and time within the next 48 hours.”

“One moment, please.” She’s back within 30 seconds. “That will be perfect, Mr. Jameson. Now, are there any specific dietary requirements of your guests? Any food allergies? We’ll provide a light lunch on the flight up, and then a dinner on the return trip. Do you have any menu preferences?”

“If you would, please email me the menu choices. I’ll review that and get back with you when I finalize the return flight.”

“Very good, sir. Is there anything else I can help you with for this trip?”

“I’ll also need transportation to and from the airport. Will you arrange for a vehicle for both arrival and departure from Reagan? I’ll be making hotel reservations, and will confirm those with you by email, along with the menu choices.”

“Certainly, sir, easily done. Anything else I can do to help?”

“I believe that will do it. And, I will get back with you within 48 hours to finalize the remaining items. Thank you for your help.”

“My pleasure, sir.” And with that, our flight arrangements were made.

I’m not one of the over-indulged board members who constantly uses the company’s assets, so I don’t feel guilty about using the company plane for this once-in-a-lifetime event. And it will definitely make the trip even more memorable when we’re able to privately fly in for the Presidential luncheon and award ceremony. That’ll be my present to the group.

With that out of the way, the next step was lodging. I called the Hay-Adams Hotel. It’s one of the grand dames of the lodging in Washington, and boasts a superb location—directly across from back of the White House, so it will be easy to handle the luncheon and award ceremony there. Within just a few moments, I’d booked three suites for our happy group.

Ryan came in about this time; he’d had a strenuous workout with his therapist. Thankfully, I’d finished all my trip planning, so it will be a surprise to him. He rolled over to the fridge, grabbed a cold beer, and damn near swallowed it in one gulp. Another sip later, and he’s reaching for a second beer.

“Tough workout?”

“Yeah, it was, Clayton. Plus a little disappointing, too. I’d hoped to get fitted for my permanent legs, but they’re still wanting to hold off just to make sure the bone spurs haven’t grown any. And, even if they were able to do the fitting, the legs wouldn’t arrive in time for the DC trip.” He looked glum. “I really wanted my legs for that.”

“Ryan, they’re giving this honor to you, not your legs. It’s your heart that matters.” He’s silent as he thinks about it.

“Yeah, I guess you’re right. Besides, tomorrow is a milestone of a day all its own, so I’ll focus on that.”

“Tomorrow? What’s tomorrow?”

“I move in with the man I love.”

Oh, shit.

I’d been so busy with the week, and letting the inner geek focus on Mars, I hadn’t focused on me—or rather, us.

Fuck ….

“I know—I’d just gotten distracted this week, but it’s a big event for both of us. I’m so sorry ….”

“You do still want me here, right?” Ryan’s question is phrased with confidence, but there’s a tiny portion of doubt seeking final confirmation, too.

“Absolutely, positively.” My smile along with a lean in to steal a kiss confirmed it. “It’s just so damn natural to have you here full time, I didn’t think. I’m so very sorry. I know it’s late in the process, but what can I do to help?”

“I’m in good shape, I think. There’s room in the closets in the master for clothing, a couple of drawers available for underwear, socks, and T’s. The rest of the stuff I’ll put in the guest house—maybe one of the spare bedrooms there—then we can go through it later. Mostly books, some papers I need to hang on to, a little kitchenware, that sort of thing. Nothing urgent on any of it.

“And, Clayton … it’s ok. You’ve been busy, and the job comes first. No harm, no foul.”

He could have nailed me on this, but chose not to. Do I have the best lover on the planet or what?

“Ok, I’ll head to the office early tomorrow morning, and try to be here early tomorrow afternoon. That way, we’ll have the weekend to sort through stuff if you’d like. Maybe even throw some steaks on the grill and just relax—it’s been damn busy for both of us this week. And, if you’d like, we can go to New Orleans and join up with some of the guys from the conference to party some. We got them booked at the House of Blues for a couple of jazz performances Saturday night.”

“Sounds good. The relaxing part, especially. Think we both need some downtime. Hell, maybe even throw in a little sex, too.” Ryan smiles that adorable crooked grin as he says it, and we both know that’ll happen.

“Sounds good to me.”

Friday went well; I woke early, and got to work ahead of the rest of the workforce. A little quiet time there actually served me well as I got a lot accomplished, including selecting the drinks and menu for the trip up and back to D.C., and forwarding that back to my board liaison at the tire company. Pickup at the airport and return from the hotel for our departure was confirmed as well. I also notified our Pentagon contact of arrival and departure times so that any scheduling needed for press interviews could be managed. A work-at-my-desk lunch was productive, too, and allowed me to head out at 3pm. I was back home by 4pm after a stop to fill up the car.

Ryan was sitting shirtless in the den, nursing a beer, TV murmuring softly in the background. The move was obviously complete. A welcoming kiss turned into a make out session on the sofa—and the make out session turned into a full-blown love-making session that never made it to the bedroom.

Now, all that’s left is to wait for his awards ceremonies and then settle into a nice, quiet, easy life together.

 

It’s all good. Ryan’s home. With me.

THANK YOU so very much for sticking with this story. There are several chapters ahead (all written), so you'll see updates regularly.
Please DO leave likes and comments--they're real motivators for every author, not just me.
Copyright © 2016 Robert Rex; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 42
  • Love 4
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Welcome back!
It was good to catch up with the guys and know that their lives are moving ahead. Ryan's reactions to Clayton's "inner geek" is great. Even though, in your wonderful style, that gentle ribbing isn't detailed, I can "hear" it.
Looking forward to the rest of the journey.
Thanks again for sharing them with us.
Molly

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 08/28/2016 10:57 AM, mollyhousemouse said:

Welcome back!

It was good to catch up with the guys and know that their lives are moving ahead. Ryan's reactions to Clayton's "inner geek" is great. Even though, in your wonderful style, that gentle ribbing isn't detailed, I can "hear" it.

Looking forward to the rest of the journey.

Thanks again for sharing them with us.

Molly

Thanks for the kind words, Molly!

Isn't it funny the perceptions we run with? Who'd have thought that Clayton would have worried about being a geek and fitting the stereotypes of an engineer?

There's more ahead...next chapter out in maybe 5 days...and THANK YOU for hanging with this tale!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Glad to see you back. Hope all is okay with you. I did notice you hadn't been around.
This was a nice chapter and good to catch up with this new and loving couple.
tim

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I was really missing you, man!

 

It was good to peek in on Ryan and Clayton again. I'm glad the move is done and plans are made for the big DC ceremony--and with their friends too.

 

Thanks for this!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I didn't realise you were out of commission for awhile. Guess I was too, without knowing it. I had to read three installments to be caught up. Thanks for more story on the guys. As ever, they are a fun group to follow. We come back, and I hope all is well. Jeff

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 08/29/2016 06:25 AM, JeffreyL said:

I didn't realise you were out of commission for awhile. Guess I was too, without knowing it. I had to read three installments to be caught up. Thanks for more story on the guys. As ever, they are a fun group to follow. We come back, and I hope all is well. Jeff

Thanks Jeff!

Had a lot of family stuff going on--and yeah, it's a long, dull story, but the last 6 weeks or so have been insane! I've missed out on my posting, and definitely missed out on my reading...like you, I've got some catch up reading to be done with my authors here!

Glad you're enjoying the story--THANK YOU!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 08/28/2016 03:44 PM, Daddydavek said:

The "or is it?" in the chapter title has me a bit concerned....

Daddy, glad you're sticking with the tale.

Clayton's happy as a clam here...but there are still some surprises ahead, as he (and Ryan) will find out.

Thanks again for being here!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 08/28/2016 02:53 PM, skinnydragon said:

I was really missing you, man!

 

It was good to peek in on Ryan and Clayton again. I'm glad the move is done and plans are made for the big DC ceremony--and with their friends too.

 

Thanks for this!

Aw, thanks, Skinny! I've missed being here--and looking forward to some good reading time after the family drama I've had to deal with. A good scotch, and good reading will get me back on track.

Thanks for the kind words--and hanging in with the tale!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/28/2016 02:48 PM, Mikiesboy said:

Glad to see you back. Hope all is okay with you. I did notice you hadn't been around.

This was a nice chapter and good to catch up with this new and loving couple.

tim

Thanks for the well wishes, Tim!

And glad you're enjoying the story...there are a couple of surprises ahead as the guys move forward with their lives.

I hope you'll continue to enjoy the tale--and always love hearing from ya!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/28/2016 12:53 PM, Fae Briona said:

Looking forward to the next chapter; loving the story.

Thanks, Fae!

Must admit, I've got a soft spot for the guys in this story--honest, human, complex but able to make their point simply.

Really glad you're enjoying the tale...THANK YOU for sticking with it! And another chapter will be out in a few days--not long to wait!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I love this story! Was very glad to see a new chapter up for us to read, and that you have more written!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Some nice steps forward here, even if Ryan didn't get his wish fulfilled about new legs. I did have two questions: Who helped Ryan move his stuff? Shouldn't Clayton have told the flight organizer about Ryan being in a wheel chair? Or does he know it's not a problem with access?

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Good to have both you and the story back. Hope things are better for you. The story certainly hasn't suffered by your absence. Looking forward to what follows.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Great chapter, Robert. Beautifully written as always.
Is the information about the Mars colony factual? I feel like I've learned something here!
Cheers
Z

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Great to have you back Rex..
The chapter was wonderful as usual. I get Ryan's disappointment about the legs, but he did have a second to really feel bad about it. Clay was right there making realise what was most important. I love this relationship.
It was real good to catch up with the gang.. Looking forward to more..

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 08/30/2016 10:50 AM, Defiance19 said:

Great to have you back Rex..

The chapter was wonderful as usual. I get Ryan's disappointment about the legs, but he did have a second to really feel bad about it. Clay was right there making realise what was most important. I love this relationship.

It was real good to catch up with the gang.. Looking forward to more..

Thanks for the kind words--and story comments!

I think it's rather telling how Clayton seemingly knows exactly how to reach Ryan--whether it's with words or touch, he's tuned in to Ryan like no one before. And, it's great that Ryan instinctively recognizes that!

More ahead...thanks for hanging with the tale!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/30/2016 08:06 AM, Zenith said:

Great chapter, Robert. Beautifully written as always.

Is the information about the Mars colony factual? I feel like I've learned something here!

Cheers

Z

Glad you enjoyed the chapter, Zenith!

And, in terms of the info on the Mars colony, yup, it's all accurate. It's fascinating to me the level of thought that's gone into that mission; the people involved in that program, whether independant, or with the Mars Society, or with NASA are truly remarkable, and should be better recognized for the work they do.

I'm glad you found the chapter one with both entertainment as well as learning. Yeah, I try to be sneaky like that!

THANK YOU for sticking with the story!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/30/2016 06:35 AM, dughlas said:

Good to have both you and the story back. Hope things are better for you. The story certainly hasn't suffered by your absence. Looking forward to what follows.

Thanks Dughlas--it's really great to be back. I don't remember any other time in my life that's been so nutty--and not due to self-inflicted issues!

Keep reading..the story's moving forward! And thanks for hanging with the tale.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/30/2016 06:26 AM, Timothy M. said:

Some nice steps forward here, even if Ryan didn't get his wish fulfilled about new legs. I did have two questions: Who helped Ryan move his stuff? Shouldn't Clayton have told the flight organizer about Ryan being in a wheel chair? Or does he know it's not a problem with access?

Timothy, Glad you're following the story!

In terms of the moves, at one point Ryan had talked with Clayton about getting movers in for the stuff, to handle both packing and moving. (I"ll go back and check--I thought that was there, but I may have accidentally deleted it during a late night editing session! )

And, although it wasn't covered in the dialogue Clayton used to set up the flight, or in the followup he did by fax of the menu items later, he's the organized engineer, he'd have covered it with them; he's that detail oriented.

THANKS for hanging with the story--and for the attention to detail! Love that--means you're involved in the story!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/29/2016 02:26 PM, jtpawlik said:

I love this story! Was very glad to see a new chapter up for us to read, and that you have more written!

Thanks, Jt! It's good to be back, and good to be writing again. Now if I can just get caught up on my reading here of the other great authors' stuff!

Thanks for reading along--there's plenty of good stuff ahead!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Nice, nice chapter, with more insights into both men. Lots of good tension about the trip shaping up. And the last few paragraphs are perfect.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/21/2016 12:42 AM, Parker Owens said:

Nice, nice chapter, with more insights into both men. Lots of good tension about the trip shaping up. And the last few paragraphs are perfect.

Thanks, Parker! Both are heroes are far more complex than they first appear (or my simple writing can convey!)--glad that's coming through.

The trip to DC will be a turning point from a number of perspectives.

THANK YOU for the kind words ... and for sticking with the tale!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Loving ths they. Getting to know our guys better. Moving on to the next chapter. 

Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..