Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Ice Fairy 4 - 18. Chapter 18

Chapter Eighteen

The housewarming party (part 1)

Brett’s POV

Brett couldn’t believe it’d been nearly a month since he and Sam sat for an hour in some nondescript conference room signing their names for what seemed at least 100 times each. He just knew at least once he had to spell out “Zephyr” in his head to just get through the massive pile of paperwork to buy their house.

But it was done! The 3,000 square-foot, 5 bed, 5 bath house with a pool was theirs!

That was the hard part…or the easy part…depending on whom they asked. Brett had very little money going into the venture; the house was being paid for by Sam, but that was changing rapidly.

In the past few weeks Brett’s roster of students had grown, as had Sam’s. They were soon the favorite instructors of their particular sport and were loving life.

What Brett didn’t love though, was the move into the house; but having burly or very strong friends helped with that predicament.

Now, it was party time! For April, it was warm already and they decided to open the pool early. This was their housewarming and neither could wait to see their family, friends, and new neighbors that they’d met in just the past weeks.

But before the mayhem of what would a loud gathering, Brett wanted to soak it all in before they’d be involved in at least 50 side chats and house tours.

Brett gathered Sam into his arms and held him there for a moment; as they stepped back from their gourmet kitchen and all the plates of food and drink awaiting their guests.

“Take it all in, baby.” He advised his fiancé. “Up next is our wedding.”

The mere thought of it gave him a thrill up his leg; he couldn’t wait to be married to Sam and feel like they were truly starting their lives together.

Sam sniffed the air and sank into Brett’s hold.

“That’ll be one of the best days ever. One of the happiest for sure.” He turned in Brett’s arms and their eyes met briefly before sharing a sweet kiss.

“I love you, Sam Ogawa.” He brushed his fingers through the black, silken strands that brushed his lover’s shoulders.

“I love you, Brett Zephyr.” Sam’s dark eyes met Brett’s again; it was the most beautiful pair of eyes he’d ever seen.

They kissed again and just as they finished; the doorbell rang.

Reluctantly, but excitedly, Brett let go; and they both scurried to the front door to let in the first of their guests.

“Now this is a house!” Ryan exclaimed as he walked in the door, toting a cooler and a large cake. “Sweet digs, guys!”

“Jealous?” Sam teased him.

Ryan nodded. “Yeah, but not with having to clean it. I guess you guys have a maid come in to do all that, huh?”

Brett took the cake from him. “Damn, look at you getting all domesticated.” He eyed the dessert; it was a red velvet cake, covered with red sprinkles. It looked amazing. “Yes, we have a maid, but she only comes in once a week.”

“Now I am jealous.” Caleb added, relinquishing the plate of veggies that he held to Sam’s keeping.

“Well, no need. This is ours on paper, but you guys are always welcome.” Sam told them both. He looked so adorable when he was making a serious point.

“As you will be at our house…” Ryan started and looked up at his fiancé. “Well, once we buy one.”

“Still working on that one.” Caleb threw in. “It won’t be too long now.”

Brett was glad to hear that. He knew things had gone great since the air was cleared and Ryan’s finger was still punctuated with the stunning engagement ring.

“Come on in, you know the house really well by now.”

The four men made their way to the kitchen and put down the food that was brought alongside what they’d put out for company.

Before they could say too much else, Brett heard the doorbell again.

“Coming!” he walked quickly to the door and found his parents on the other side of the door. He smiled wide and hugged them both hello.

“My baby’s first house!” Meredith squealed as she entered the not-so-humble abode.

“This is it, mom.” Brett touted. “We love it and wanna be here for years to come.” He shut the door and ushered their guests inside. This was going to be great; his parents had loved the place on sight and wholeheartedly approved.

It actually grew quiet again for a minute as everyone hovered around the food and began munching.

At least, of course, until there was a loud knock at the door. Sam rushed down the foyer to answer it this time. Not a minute later, Sam was back at his side, and Brett saw a tall, muscular, very handsome man with dark, short hair, unshaven, with a tan to die for enter the kitchen. He removed his sunglasses and his light green eyes surveyed the room before settling on Brett.

“Hey, Jake. How are you?” He stuck out his hand for the man to shake, which he accepted with a firm grasp. Damn, the guy was strong.

It was their neighbor, Jake. He was a contractor who’d done quite well for himself before the bubble burst. Luckily; he’d socked his savings away early and bought his house before the good times ended.

“Hey, guys. Thanks for having me over.” He shook hands with the couple.

“Wouldn’t think of not inviting you here.” Sam told him. “You were the first to welcome us here; so of course we had to return the favor. This is the first of many.”

“Cool, thanks again. We’ll throw some awesome parties here and my pad. You’ve seen it.”

Brett’s memory reminded him of the swinging bachelor pad Jake had set up. Grill, hot tub, pool, basement game room to die for, along with the biggest bar he’d ever seen. If it was one thing Jake was into, it was parties. He was a great neighbor so far too; he helped them move in their bedroom set and office, and even helped put them back together.

“Oh hell yeah.” Was all he could say to that. He couldn’t wait to dive into the pool or shot a round of cricket at the dartboard.

Sam rolled his eyes. “You guys are so funny. You’ll have to teach me how to play. All I’ve ever done is skate; never spent much time in pubs or anything.” He pouted.

Jake clapped his shoulder. “No worries there, Sam. We’ll school ya.”

That sounded great to Brett for sure. “Well, come on in. Help yourself. We’ve got some more people coming; so settle in and claim your grub first before they do. Especially Colby.”

“Oh yeah. Watch out for him. He’s got a huge appetite.” Sam teased as he went to get a drink for himself.

“Hmm. In that case.” Jake had a playful glint in his eye as he went to get something to eat.

Brett loved the atmosphere in the room; it was fun and relaxed at the same time. His parents were there, his fiancé, his best friends…now to wait for Sam’s mom and sister, and Colby.

Within five minutes of the thought, as if conjured up, the doorbell rang and there stood all three final guests together. Brett smiled wide and let them inside. After warm, welcoming hugs were shared all around, they all walked back to the kitchen.

“Sam, the rest of our party is here.” He called back.

His adorable fiancé practically skipped out to hug his mom and sister hello. He gave Colby a brief hug as well.

“How are you? Come on over and eat; we’ve finished off one plate already; it’s going fast.”

Midori had brought more food of course; sushi and rice wine. Kim announced she’s helped with the prep on the sushi of course. Brett and Sam both beamed at her with pride.

After the introductions were made to everyone to Jake, the last two to formally meet were Jake and Colby.

Brett put his arm around his friend and walked him over. “Cheese man, I want you to meet our neighbor. Jake.”

The young man seemed reluctant, but held out his long, strong arm regardless.

“Hi.” Was all he uttered.

Jake smiled and laughed in his deep, rich tone. “Well hi, Colby. I’m Jake. Ma named me Jacob, but only she calls me that. Good to meet you.” He took Colby’s hand and Brett could tell it was a firm handshake by how much Colby’s muscles flexed.

“Good to meet ya.” Colby responded before letting go. He stuck his hands inside his jean pockets and looked uncomfortable; Brett had no idea as to why.

“Well, let’s eat.” Sam broke into the scene, breaking up the scene.

“Right.” Colby looked overly anxious to get over to people he knew.

Brett’s eyes met Jake’s. The big strong man looked confused. He had to be discreet due to distance in the room; but he tried to get the message across anyway.

“He’s shy as hell. Plus he’s having a rough time; so just go easy on any teasing.” He advised his neighbor.

Jake peered over Brett’s shoulder and then looked back at his host. “I gotcha. I know what heartache is like. Trust me.” He pursed his lips and patted Brett’s arm before going back over to sample some more food.

It had been tough on Colby for sure; Brett couldn’t imagine all what he’d been though with the caustic Amber being found out to be such a bitch that was homophobic towards her own best friend. He inwardly cheered as Colby retaliated towards her by kissing them; but he wondered now, after four months without her, if much had changed.

Copyright © 2014 stephanie l danielson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

House sounds lovely and big, and a party seems just what everybody needs :wizard: Could that have been something a bit more and different than shyness when Colby met Jake....looking forward reading more about the party :*)

Link to comment
On 01/26/2014 03:40 PM, Suvitar said:
House sounds lovely and big, and a party seems just what everybody needs :wizard: Could that have been something a bit more and different than shyness when Colby met Jake....looking forward reading more about the party :*)
Love the house, party central! Maybe so with Colby and Jake...that kid's been through a lot.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..