Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Ice Fairy 4 - 4. Chapter 4

Chapter Four

Sam’s POV

The show was exhilarating, as usual. Sam loved hearing the applause and not having any pressure on him to be flawless except in his own mind. There were no judges or competitions going on. This was purely for the love of the sport. Plus, tonight was extra special. All of his family and friends would be there; watching him and cheering him on. What could be better? They missed the Olympics, except maybe on tv. This was live and he could hear them cheering. He for sure heard Brett whistle.

With a giddiness he’d not felt for a little while, Sam quickly showered up, changed, and got into his casual clothes again to go out and see the ones he loved.

Of course, as soon as he bid his fellow skaters good night, he turned the corner and there were two screeches of joy. One was Kim, and the other was Amber.

“Sammy!” they cried out in unison and he had trouble wrapping his arms around both of them at the same time. But he loved it just the same.

“Hey there! God, I missed you both!” he kissed Amber’s cheek and Kim’s hair. “Two months is a long time.” He commented as they finally let him breathe again.

“Yes, it is.” His mother agreed and he moved towards her next and fell into her embrace. Now he was home--in his mother’s arms. There wasn’t another feeling in the world quite like being safe and loved in your parent’s arms. He didn’t miss the other parent at all; if he could be called that at all. He was grateful for his long absence and being out of his life.

“You look well.” She looked him up and down. Sam nodded and indicated Brett. “He’s been making sure I eat well. And the right stuff, too.” He shot a look to Amber.

“Good boy.” Amber patted Brett’s arm and he looked a little peeved at her; but figured it was all in jest. Ah well, what did it matter? This was a wonderful night. He looked up and saw there were other people waiting to greet him as well.

“Hey there, Buddy.” Colby’s telltale southern accent was a welcome sound. He gave him a quick side hug.

“Hi, Colby. Treating my lady okay?” he saw Amber blush.

“She’s my darlin’ for sure.” Colby answered.

Amber swatted him playfully. “He takes wonderful care of me. Best as he can without my best bud here to hang out with.” She pouted.

Sam shook his head. “Well, I leave again in a week, so soak me up while you can.”

Meredith and Mitch were next, and he was happy to see his future parents-in-law.

“You did great, honey.” Meredith gushed as she hugged him warmly.

“Thank you!” he saw Mitch hold out his sizeable hand, which Sam shook. “It’s what I love to do.”

“Well it shows, Sam.” Mr. Zephyr added. “Damn fine group.”

All of them really were. Some were veterans of a decade or more and some were newbies, like him. But it was a family atmosphere and Sam wished he could sign on for more; but he’d promised only one season’s worth.

Three large figures moved towards him. One was Ryan, the other Caleb, and of course, Brett.

“Hey, as long as you’re doling out hugs.” Ryan teased him and Sam quickly moved into his friend’s arms.

“It’s so good to be home.” He meant every syllable of that. But he didn’t want to get too comfy, this was only temporary. He had to make every second count. His eyes glanced up at the hulking man beside Ryan.

“We missed you.” Caleb told him simply as Sam melted into his grip. He loved being in those arms and knew right away where he wanted to spend the night.

Finally, the man he wanted to see every other second of his life. Brett.

“Great job tonight, baby.” He spoke sweetly and Sam wrapped his arms around his man’s neck and pulled him in for a long kiss in front of everyone.

The kiss was just what Sam needed. It always was, from his man. No other pair of lips and touch did to him what Brett’s did. His heart was full of his big, blond, handsome fiancé. He had a tough time tearing himself back away, but knew there’d be trouble if he didn’t.

“Thank you.” He rubbed his stomach. “Hey, where’s a guy gotta go to get some protein around here?” he joked. He really was quite hungry though.

Suggestions flew in left and right, but he settled on a bar-b-que spot that was just around the corner.

“Let’s go eat, I burned up some calories today in my performances.” He urged them all to get moving for his sake. After all, he was the star of the show. He noted the reporters and fans all calling his name and he did stop to sign a few autographs; but they’d done most of that before the show, so it didn’t take long.

*

Food! Finally. Not a half hour later, the group was seated and a huge plate of shredded pork was before his eyes. Without waiting another second, he dove into his later dinner.

Amber wasn’t far as she was wedged up against Sam’s mother and sister. She patted his back.

“Don’t eat too fast now, sweetie. You’ve gotta skate again tomorrow.”

Sam rolled his eyes. “I know, I know. I’m just so glad to be home again.” He glanced at the only clock in the room and was surprised at the time, nearly 10:30 at night.

“Wow it’s late.” He mentioned to no one in-particular.

“Yeah it is.” Brett agreed and he leaned in. “Almost bedtime.”

A smile went across Sam’s lips. “Yes it is. I’m pretty tired too, but not wiped out completely. Travel day is usually the roughest.” The bus was comfortable, but it was still a lot of time on the road and sitting down. He wanted to stretch out, maybe in a long, hot bath. Maybe he could have company, and not just Brett either. He cast a glance at Caleb, and then at Ryan. He looked at them hopefully and wondered what plans they had.

“Where you stay tonight?” Midori asked the question on everyone’s mind.

“Not a hotel for once.” Brett interjected.

Sam laughed softly. “No. No hotel. I guess we have some options, don’t we?” he looked quizzically at Brett.

“Seems like a no brainer to me.” Amber interrupted. “Your mother’s house.”

Kim brightened. “Sammie stay with us?” she brightened at the possibility. Not wanting to hurt his sister or anyone else, Sam had to right now. He wanted to save for tomorrow night. They had time yet.

“Sweetie, I’ll be there tomorrow, bright and early. We’re way past your bedtime, baby sis.”

“Where you stay?” Midori asked the same question.

Sam saw Brett locking looks with their friends and hoped that silent arrangements were being made to stay with them.

“Just deciding that now, Mom. Wow, it’s nice to have offers of multiple spots. Everyone loves us so much, Brett.” Sam teased.

“Your roomies missed you an awful lot.” Ryan threw in. “We cleaned up your room just in case.”

Just in case, huh? Sam liked the sound of that. A lot. “That sounds good to me. Besides, you guys are the closest and our car is there too.” There, that made logical sense.

“We’ve been driving it around to keep it lubed.” Caleb added.

Aww, such sweet friends. “Thanks, guys!” Sam wiped his mouth and continued eating his late dinner. “I think we’ve got it figured out pretty much. Mr. and Mrs. Zephyr…” he didn’t know what to tell them.

“No worries, Sam. Drop by tomorrow to visit. You’ve got time and tomorrow is Christmas Eve. But we don’t want to wear you out either. Come by anytime. Brett will be with us all day tomorrow.”

Brett nodded to confirm this. “Mom’s got a boatload of wedding stuff she wants me to look at.” He smirked. “We’ve got time to go through it all while we’re here.”

Whew, well at least that was one less worry. Now to make their plans official. “Alright, that settles it. Tonight we’ll stay with Ryan and Caleb then goto my mother’s and then the Zephyr’s. We’re regular transients.” There. Case closed.

Amber’s mouth gaped open. “You’re ditching your mom to be with your friends?” she sputtered.

Groaning on the inside, Sam tried not to grit his teeth and let her ruin his dinner. “Amber, chill, okay? It’s cool. We’ll be back in town in two months and until we buy a house I’ll be with them a lot. Plus time with you and Colby.” He’d almost forgotten the tall string bean of a man.

She fussed with her soda. “Well, I just think it’s rude. I mean you’re only in town for so long. Family should come first.”

“Amber, let ‘em be. They’re grown up.” Colby tried to shut her down, but it wasn’t working.

“No I won’t let ‘em be, Colby. They owe time with their family first and then their…buddies.” She spit out the word as if she’d called them cockroaches.

It pissed Sam off big time and he scowled at his best friend. They’d had issues and arguments before, but this wasn’t one she was going to win. Hell no. Here we go again. Sam caught an agitated look on Brett’s face and it was directed at Amber for sure. He had to diffuse this for sure. He waved Amber over. “Come here, we need to go chat.”

They found a quiet area of the bar and he crossed his arms tightly and glared at her. “What’s wrong, Amber? Why all the lecture tones? I’m staying with my mother tomorrow night. You have a problem with Ryan and Caleb or something?”

The girl twisted her hair and shifted her feet, obviously uncomfortable. “Sammie… I know what you told me about you guys and whatever, but I just think…”

He held up his hand and cut her off. “Stop. Stop right there. If you insult any of them I’ll leave you right here, Amber. How dare you pass judgment on a relationship you know nothing about. So keep your perky little nose out of my life, okay? I’m happy as I’ve ever been and I want to spend time with them. Understand? I never should’ve told you. Put any pissy thoughts of them right out of your head. They’re our best friends and you’ll respect that.”

“But Sammie…” she pouted again. “It’s wrong…”

He balled his fists. “No it isn’t. What we do in the privacy of that apartment is none of your damn business and it’s all consenting adults. No one is getting hurt. If they did, it’d be over. I never ever should’ve even spoke a word of it to you. I should’ve known you’d react this way.” He stepped back from her. “I’ll see you later, okay? Just back off me, Brett, and back off of them. They’re our friends, and we love them too, just like I love you. Understood?”

He hated to get cross with her, but she needed a firm hand sometimes.

“Fine.” She spoke through gritted teeth and with a glare at him, she stepped away.

Sam shook his head. Now he really needed a bath or maybe something nicer. Oooh. Definitely a massage for sure. Maybe with lotion too. That’d be awesome. He felt better just thinking about it.

After returning to the table, he clapped Brett on the shoulder and looked at their friends. “Decision made. Ryan, Caleb, we’re honored to accept your invite back to your place for the night.”

Most of their family were delighted. Amber still fumed about it though. Tough shit. His body and heart were his call on what to do with; not her. She’d never understand, so why even try?

They finished up their dinners and after getting to their cars, Sam and Brett rode off with Ryan and Caleb.

Copyright © 2014 stephanie l danielson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Leave it to Amber to ruin a good night. If she continues like that she's going to be history - and the sooner the better.

Link to comment

I agree with Sam, he never should have told Amber. It´s private and none of her business what Sam and Brett do and with whom. Can she be trusted not to tell anyone, when she´s this mad?

Link to comment

Amber is right Sam especially should spend the night whith his sister and mother poor Kim she loves her brother and she needs a father figure snice her father is no longer around ,

Brett and Sam have just spent two months together two nights apart shouldn't make a difference.

I think Amber is jealous of Ryan and Caleb with Brett and Sam spending so much time with them . Let's hope Christmas passes whith out to much trouble

Link to comment
On 12/22/2013 03:28 AM, paul.b said:
Amber is right Sam especially should spend the night whith his sister and mother poor Kim she loves her brother and she needs a father figure snice her father is no longer around ,

Brett and Sam have just spent two months together two nights apart shouldn't make a difference.

I think Amber is jealous of Ryan and Caleb with Brett and Sam spending so much time with them . Let's hope Christmas passes whith out to much trouble

Actually, I changed it to they are in town for a week and their home is technically Ryan and Caleb's since they are all roomies.

They'll all get a chance to spend lots of time with the happy couple.

yes, Amber is jealous...

Link to comment
On 12/22/2013 03:02 AM, Suvitar said:
I agree with Sam, he never should have told Amber. It´s private and none of her business what Sam and Brett do and with whom. Can she be trusted not to tell anyone, when she´s this mad?
Amber is a loose canon. Colby needs to shut her down or Sam will have to get meaner.
Link to comment
On 12/22/2013 02:32 AM, Terry P said:
Leave it to Amber to ruin a good night. If she continues like that she's going to be history - and the sooner the better.
Yeah, she didn't do a nice thing there for sure. What Sam does is his biz and besides he shouldn't have told her...she needs to buzz off and out of his sexual life.
Link to comment

I too agree that Sam shouldn't have told Amber about what he and Brett did with Ryan and Caleb, and that it's not her business to be prying about it.

 

The thing is...I blame Sam squarely for Amber's bad reactions here, because she never would have had even an inkling to pry about what they did, if he hadn't gone and opened his big fat mouth about it. :P What he does is his business - until he goes and blabs about it, thereby opening up the proverbial Pandora's Box and making it more peoples' business than his own. -_-

Link to comment
On 12/22/2013 08:33 AM, MJ85 said:
I too agree that Sam shouldn't have told Amber about what he and Brett did with Ryan and Caleb, and that it's not her business to be prying about it.

 

The thing is...I blame Sam squarely for Amber's bad reactions here, because she never would have had even an inkling to pry about what they did, if he hadn't gone and opened his big fat mouth about it. :P What he does is his business - until he goes and blabs about it, thereby opening up the proverbial Pandora's Box and making it more peoples' business than his own. -_-

I agree with you 100%. Now to not talk about it anymore with her and shut her down if she starts to pipe up again about it. His body, his business, not hers... tell her to go find their DJ or something..LOL
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..