Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Ice Fairy 4 - 12. Chapter 12

Chapter Twelve

Ryan’s POV

The ride back home to the Patterson and Jacobson houses seemed especially long this time. Ryan kept biting at his fingernails; which Caleb finally got sick enough of to grab his hand and hold it tight.

“Stop. It’ll be okay. I was the one who screwed up. I’ll be the one groveling, not you.”

True enough, but that didn’t make Ryan feel much better. He pushed back his hair from his face and sighed. “I know, I know. I just worry that they’ll say they don’t like you anymore and for you to get out of my life.” He clutched the hand tighter. “I don’t want to be without you, Cal. We stumbled; both of us. They have to see that and understand.”

“I hope so, baby.” Caleb sounded nervous too; but he was so much better at dealing with them than Ryan was.

“Damn, I envy you sometimes.” Ryan kissed the hand he held.

Those huge, green eyes glanced his way and he felt a rush of warmth. “Why’s that, Ryebread?”

Ryan grinned and savored the happy sensations again. “Just… you are so level-headed and can usually deal with things a lot better than I can. You calmed Sam and Brett down, you dealt with that mighty mouth Amber, and as for us…” he gazed at the man’s bearded face and felt his body tingle. “I can’t believe it took two years for things to happen with us.”

“Because you’re a stubborn Irishman, that’s why.” Caleb joked but his expression softened. “I was afraid too, baby. But I’m way more scared now than I was then. That was telling you how I felt to get you. This is after I lost you and everyone knew it. Now that we’re back together; I vow to do my best by you.”

“I know you will. The four of us together like that…swapping partners…” Ryan shook his head. “It was hot and all, but it was a recipe for disaster. I couldn’t keep my feelings out of it and I know you couldn’t either.” He thought over how much he had a crush on Brett before and how it almost went too far.

“It’s all over now, baby. The feelings for them will subside as we get stronger again,” Caleb prophesized. “I had to tear you away from Brett once already; I’ll do it again.”

A soft gasp left Ryan’s throat. “That’s right. You knew. The day of my senior prom.” He remembered it clearly. Ryan was going to tell Brett he had a crush on him that night; but Caleb had come over and they got into an argument. The long-hidden feelings that his neighbor harbored for him finally came out in one unforgettable sentence. ‘Dammit, Ryebread, I’m in love with you.’

“I’m still in love with you.” Caleb assured his lover. “Now to make your parents believe it again.”

They pulled up in the driveway and Ryan gathered his thoughts and took Caleb’s hand as they got to the door. His father was already at the door, waiting.

“Well, here ye both are.” He looked them up and down, especially Caleb. “Yer parents are here too, big boy. Ye’ve got some explaining ter do ter get into my good graces again.”

As they stepped inside, Ryan saw all four parents were there, waiting. Damn, what was this, the inquisition? He felt very on trial and gripped Caleb’s hand tighter.

“Connor, come away from them.” His mother chided as she tended to them. “Let ‘em get their coats off at least before you start your temper up.”

Good ‘ol mom. Ryan smiled in relief, especially when she hugged them both. “Me love.” She kissed her son’s cheek. “Caleb, you’re still dear to me if you love my boy.”

Caleb nodded. “I do, ma’am. I really do.”

“Hmpf. Fine way of showin’ it. Me boy runnin’ back to us in tears. Fine way to treat ‘im!” Connor spat at them.

“Keep your temper down!” Anna shouted at her husband. “Come inside, loves. Have a drink.” She ushered them to the living room where Caleb’s folks, Tom and Suzy Jacobson stood to greet them as well.

“Mom, Dad.” Caleb hugged his mother and shook his father’s hand. Ryan knew they weren’t especially tight; but it didn’t seem to bother Caleb much. His dad just wasn’t the hugging type.

“Hi, sweetie. Ryan.” Suzy handed them both a soda. “So, how are things?”

“Better, mom. Much better.” Caleb showed his and Ryan’s hands intertwined. “We made up just a little while ago.”

Anna smiled. “That’s wonderful. I was hoping you’d come to your senses.”

Ryan cocked a brow as he sipped his soda. “It was both of us, mama, not any one of us. We made a mistake and we’ve corrected it now. I overreacted by coming over here…” he felt ashamed for coming to them as if the world had ended.

“Don’tcha be sorry for nothin’ of the sort.” Connor chimed in. “Ye were hurt and he was the one that hurt ye.”

“No he wasn’t! It wasn’t just Caleb, it was Brett and Sam too. We all messed up, Papa.” He shook his head and had to get his thoughts together. “Look… we had gotten too close and our feelings got hurt. Yes, mine got hurt a lot and I didn’t think Caleb loved me anymore. That’s why I ran over here.”

Suzy gasped. “But that can’t be true. Caleb’s been in love with you since you two met…”

“I know, I know. But something made me question it and his feelings for someone else were made known. But it’s over now.” He quickly covered so that Sam wouldn’t be grilled next.

“Are you sure?” Tom asked. He was always the quiet observer unless he had a statement to make, or a poignant question.

“Yes, dad. I’m sure.” Caleb made in a very clear tone. “My heart is only with Ryan. We want to move forward with our relationship; keep living together for sure, finish school…”

“What about after school?” Suzy interrupted. “Didn’t you mention marriage at one point?”

Ryan nodded. It’d be his fondest wish to get married to Caleb. “Yes, we did. I still want to, but when it’s right and we can afford to.”

“Ye wanna marry me boy, do ye, Caleb? Ye break his heart and then ask him to be wid ye?” Connor spewed at him.

“Temper, Connor!” Anna shot back. “You won’t be able to afford it for years with what you two make. You wouldn’t let us help?”

A shock of relief went through Ryan’s veins. “Mama… we hoped to do it ourselves; but it is far away yet. We live together…”

“But is that enough?” Suzy asked. She looked at her son and took his hand for a second. “Caleb, what do you want?”

“I want to marry Ryan, definitely. Actually, our friends that’re engaged, they told us to elope if we wanted to get hitched.” He laughed. “The planning is driving them crazy.”

Ryan laughed too and recalled how Sam and Brett’s mothers were driving them nuts. “We’d love to do it on our own…”

“Your friends aren’t are they?” Tom asked.

It stopped Ryan’s thoughts cold. “I guess not, no. Brett’s family is taking care of most of it. Sam has some money; but they’re buying a house as soon as the tour is over with.” Hmmm. It wouldn’t be too bad, would it? “I guess that they let their folks help.”

“Then you’ll let us help.” Anna stated, not as a request either. “If your hearts are leading you that way then let them. I married that one when I was your age and my parents nearly fell dead away.” She laughed. “But they grew to love him.” She looked at Caleb. “You love my son?”

Caleb nodded. “Very much, ma’am. With all my heart.”

Ryan smiled. “I love you too, Cal. I wanna be with just you.”

Connor harrumphed. “If he runs back here again in tears ever again…”

“We’ll work it out, Papa.” Ryan cut him off. “I overreacted. But we’ve solved it all.”

“I’m glad to hear that one.” Suzy commented. “We missed you last night, son.”

“I missed you guys too, but I was in no shape to go out anywhere. I was too upset.”

“But that’s over now, you said?” Tom confirmed.

“Yessir.” Caleb answered.

“Tis the Christmas season, loves.” Anna started. “A time for true love and miracles. You have found your way back to each other.” She crossed over to Caleb and took his hand. “Come with me. I’ve something to show you.”

Confused, Caleb took her hand and was led out of the room.

Ryan watched them leave and wondered just what his mother had up her sleeve. He saw his father looked barely satisfied though. “He does love me, Papa. I wouldn’t be with him if he didn’t. You taught me that much.”

“Saints and praises, I hope yer right, me boy.”

“I know my son, Connor. He loves Ryan with all his might.” Suzy verified.

“I wouldn’t stay with him if he hurt me, Papa. You know I wouldn’t. I’ve got too much Patterson pride in me veins.” He did his best imitation of his father’s Irish brogue. “I love him and I wanna be with him forever. Can you accept it?”

Connor shifted in his seat and rubbed his bearded face and shifted again. “Fine…fine. Ye know what yer doin’, boy. Ye got a good head on yer shoulders ye do. Ye are a damned fine carpenter, and a hard worker. I doubt ye short yer love any either.”

Ryan smiled and stood over by his father. “Thank you, papa.” Before he could argue anymore, he threw his arms around him and held on tight. He was relieved to have his father hugging him back. All was well again. Whew!

Copyright © 2014 stephanie l danielson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It looks as though it could be two weddings Ryan and Calebs parents have their best interests at heart even though Connor gave them a hard time . Now Christmas is over and everything is back to normal cant wait for the fireworks for new year

Link to comment

Ryan´s papa is very protecting of his son, that´s nice. Both set of parents seem ready to see their sons getting married, more wedding plans ahead. Good to see them all talking and getting along again. :*)

Link to comment
On 12/30/2013 05:58 AM, Suvitar said:
Ryan´s papa is very protecting of his son, that´s nice. Both set of parents seem ready to see their sons getting married, more wedding plans ahead. Good to see them all talking and getting along again. :*)
Connor is very protective; love those kinds of papas! I'm glad they all made up. :)
Link to comment
On 12/30/2013 05:42 AM, paul.b said:
It looks as though it could be two weddings Ryan and Calebs parents have their best interests at heart even though Connor gave them a hard time . Now Christmas is over and everything is back to normal cant wait for the fireworks for new year
Maybe so...:) Hehe..fireworks? Me? Stay tuned, Paul...
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..