Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Ice Fairy 4 - 15. Chapter 15

Chapter Fifteen

Sam’s POV

Bring on the party indeed! Sam was thrilled to death that Brett’s folks were loaning out their house to this soirée; a great sendoff to 2014. Sam was in a great mood; he had his hunky fiancé by his side, his mom and sister were there, and his best friend would be there soon. Now to see if she behaved herself.

The drama with Amber had really gotten on his last nerve and he hoped that tonight, once and for all, it could all be put behind them. He clung to Brett’s side for support.

“Hey, Baby.” His tall, blond man cooed as he slung his free arm around him. “Just got a text from Ryan; they should be here any second.”

Sam grinned. “Good. It’ll be a relief to see them again. I’m sure after their time away they’re closer than ever before.”

“Sure hope so. Come on, let’s get some noisemakers.” They walked over to the table full of party favors. There were all kinds of silly string, noisemakers, hats, tiaras, you name it. Sam swiped a blue hat and plunked it atop Brett’s head.

“There, it’s your color.”

Brett laughed. “Oh really?” he plucked a pink tiara from the table and put it on Sam’s head. “Now that’s you. My wonderful Ice Queen.”

Getting into the spirit of things, Sam made a goofy face and stuck out his tongue. “I’m the Ice King, Baby. But pink is a good color on me.” He admitted. Either way, he loved it.

The doorbell was heard and they craned their necks to see who it was. Sam would know them anywhere; it was Ryan and Caleb. He smiled wide and held his arms open to hug them both hello.

“Hi, guys!” they exchanged their greetings and Sam felt something brush past his fingers as Ryan brought his arm down. Something sparkly. He gasped when he saw the bright bauble on his friend’s finger. “Holy cow, what’s that?”

Ryan smiled wide and Caleb put his arms around his shoulders. “That is my engagement ring. This big guy popped the question just a couple of hours ago.”

Sam was so thrilled for them! “That’s awesome! I’m so happy for you both!”

“Dude! Way to pop the question, Caleb!” Brett added as he gave them a fist bump. “Damn, nice rock.”

The couple looked so happy that it made Sam relive that glorious moment when Brett got down on one knee and asked him that same, life-changing question. He was giddy with happiness for them both.

“Isn’t it gorgeous? It was my grandmother’s ring. It’s from Ireland itself too. How cool is that?” Ryan told them. “Fits like a glove. Grandma wasn’t a small woman.” He teased and cuddled into Caleb’s side.

“Just wait till I’m fitted; I think I’ll need a small bracelet to fit this finger.”

“Brett’s got big fingers too; about a 12, aren’t you?” Sam asked.

“Yeah, just below a bracelet. Wait till you see the wedding bands; they’re titanium and so cool. Little diamonds in them and everything.”

Now this was a great conversation to be having. Weddings. Holy Shit! They were all going to be tying the knot! Now Sam couldn’t resist teasing them about the hell that would follow.

“Do your folks know?” Sam asked.

“Well yeah, his mom gave me the ring and I talked to his dad for what, half an hour? Mr. Patterson can be tough to talk to; but he knew I was dead serious about making a commitment to this one.” He dropped a kiss on Ryan’s head.

“Just wait till your mom’s get together.” Brett indicated his mom and Midori chatting in the corner. “Elope. I’m telling you now.”

Sam poked his fiancé in the ribs. “And ruin their fun? Hell, as long as the ring fits, and I’m Mr. Sam Zephyr at the end of the day. That’s all I want.”

Ryan’s mouth popped open. “Crap, we didn’t set a date yet or even think about names yet.”

“Well hell, you said this was a couple of hours ago?”

“Yeah.” Caleb answered.

“I’m sure there were other more immediate items to take care of for sure.” Brett winked at them.

“Oh yeah.” Ryan looked like he was a tamale in Caleb’s grasp. It was wonderful.

Meredith broke the scene. “Boys! Amber and Colby are here!”

Sam’s pulse jumped. This was going to be the best night ever!

“Amber”! He opened his arms wide and greeted his friend.

“Sweetie!” She responded and gave him her usual death grip embrace. She even hugged Brett as well and side-hugged Ryan and Caleb.

It didn’t bug Sam too much though about the lessening of affections as she went. He was accustomed to shaking Colby’s hand. The guy had a good, strong grip but he’d kill for a hug, just once. Oh well; not his thing and he dare not push.

“How are you guys?” Sam asked.

Amber pushed back her long, dark hair. “Well, it’s been quite the day. My mom and sisters and I went out shopping and did some baking….”

“What about you, Cheeseman?” Brett asked.

“Oh, not too much. Just waited for this one to look all purty enough to be the belle of the ball again.” Colby teased, which got him an elbow in the side from his girl.

“Very funny, Mister.” Amber’s eyes surveyed the rest of the group. Her eyes stopped at Ryan and Caleb. “You two look like you’re up to something. What’d I miss?”

Sam rolled his eyes and sighed. “You’re not a reporter, Amber. But our friends have something to share tonight.”

“Oh?” her eyes were huge and she looked at them both. “What might that be?”

Ryan pulled out his arm from Caleb’s grasp and held up his left hand. The diamond ring was very obvious in its own meaning; but in case it didn’t get the point across, he looked ready to provide an explanation.

“We got engaged today. Caleb and I.”

Sam watched Amber’s face light up, but it was a low-wattage light at best. She’d painted on a plastic smile and didn’t look at all genuine with her happiness.

“Wow, really? That’s…” she looked at Sam and he gave her a look of ‘better be nice or else’. “Sudden.” Is what she finally spit out.

The happy couple’s faces told the reaction well; that they weren’t happy with the reply.

“So what if it is?” Caleb shot back. “In my mind, it’s long overdue.” He ran a hand through Ryan’s wavy locks. “We’ve been together the longest and until recently we thought marriage would be out of the question for another year or so at least.”

Despite Amber’s cool demeanor, Sam was relieved to see Colby step up to the plate.

“Well dad gum! Look at that rock! Caleb, you are a lucky man and you too, Ryan. It’s about time you guys made it honest.” He teased and patted their shoulders. “I’m happy as a greased pig for ya both.”

“Thank you, Colby.” Ryan replied cooly, looking right at Amber. “Seems your girlfriend doesn’t quite share your opinion.”

“Oh, well…” she sputtered. “Don’t get me wrong now, boys. I’m happy for you. Really.”

Sam doubted that sincerity with every bone in his body. He crossed his arms and stared at his friend. “Why do I think you’re lying through your teeth, Amber? Oh wait…I know why.” He snapped his fingers. “Because you are.”

Dumbfounded, Amber’s mouth opened. “Sam! What the hell? Why are you talking to me like this?”

“Why? Why?” Sam felt his temperature rise with each indignation. “Amber…holy shit. Do you have any idea of what you said not that long ago that hurt me to the core?” he glared at her.

“What?” she spat out quickly. “So what? So I don’t like gay sex; it’s not my thing, Sammie. It’s yours and as long as it’s just you and Brett…” she turned to look at the newly betrothed couple and then back at her buddy. “Then I’m fine with it. You really shouldn’t have told me about the swapping you were doing.”

Sam felt himself shaking with anger and he balled his fists. “Damn right I shouldn’t have! But I enjoyed it, so I told you about it. I never, ever would’ve guessed this about you, Amber. You didn’t seem to mind watching Brett and me kiss or talk about our sexual life.”

Amber shook her head and rolled her eyes. “Duh, Sammie. Hell yeah, I wanna hear about your man, not these other two. They’re not your guys, not anymore.” She looked them up and down. “Thank goodness.” Her nose was firmly in the air and she faced them. “Wow, how shocking that after your little orgy broke up that you finally pop the question. What timing!”

Caleb looked like he wanted to rip her apart. “I asked out of love, not guilt, Amber! I have no need at all to explain my motives to you anyway, Miss Mighty Mouth! You need to mind your own damn business and stay out of ours!”

“Hmpf! So rude!” Amber harrumphed.

“He’s right, so just back off, Missy.” Ryan echoed Caleb’s sentiment and nudged them forward. “We don’t need to listen to this. We’re happy as all hell and you’re not going to fucking ruin the greatest night of our lives so far by being a bitch to us!”

They started towards the door, but Brett and Sam pulled them back. “Wait! Don’t leave…” Sam begged. “Amber, say you’re sorry. Right now.” He ordered her.

She let out a very quick laugh. “Sammie, you’re shouting at me? Come on! You can’t order a fly around. Gimme a break. It’s their guilt that made tonight happen, don’t you get that?”

“No! I don’t get that, Amber! All I see is a couple very in love and celebrating the biggest news of their lives and you’re ruining it for them by being a total snobby, judgmental, motor-mouthed bitch!” He got right into her face and balled his fists, trying to stay in control; but it wasn’t easy.

Fat tears started in Amber’s eyes and one rolled down her cheek. “Sammie… you don’t really think of me like that do you?” Her lip quivered and Sam had to look away or risk a meltdown of his own.

With incredible control and his blood pressure in check somewhat, he nodded. “Right now, yeah, I do. You need to apologize, Amber. Right now!” he yelled at her, startling even himself.

The crocodile tears vanished and she raised her hand, looking as if she’d slap him, but Brett pulled him away.

“You even think of touching him and I’ll make you wish you’d never thought about it, Missy.” Brett spewed at her.

“What the fuck have you done to him? He used to be so nice and loving and trusting and my best friend in the whole wide world!” Amber breathed harder and looked shocked and hurt; but Sam knew it was all an act.

“I saw the truth, Amber!” Sam replied, his eyes trained like a sniper on her face. “When you tried to get Brett and me to break up more than once, to use my words against me with my friends doing something that’s none of your damn business in the first place…” he paused. “But you thinking what I do is gross and dissing their engagement is the last straw, the last one ever!” he screamed at her and pointed towards the door.

“Wh….Sammie?” she gasped. “What the hell?”

“Get out! I’m telling you to shut up, turn around and get the hell out! Call your mom or someone else to take you away; you’re not welcome here!” Sam shot at her with a force he didn’t know he even had.

“What? Sammie! So I think their engagement is sudden, so what?”

“It’s wrong, Amber, get it?” Brett tried to spell it out to her. “You hated what we did then and what we do now. If you can’t accept it and be happy for Ryan and Caleb then you’re not welcome here!” He pointed towards the door too.

Backing away slowly and looking truly befuddled; Amber bumped into Colby and turned around. She smiled and put her arms around him, but he shoved her away.

“No.” he spoke with his meaning clear.

“What? Colby, what do you mean no? It’s me, Baby.” She tried to bat her eyelashes at him, but all he did was shake his head.

“I know damn well who it is, Amber. But I ain’t likin’ what I see. You got no right at all to be doin’ or sayin’ what you are, girl. None at all!”

Sam always knew he liked Colby, this just reinforced that opinion. He reached for Brett’s hand and then Caleb’s. They’d been so hurt too, he hated to see it.

“Colby! How dare y…”

“No! How dare you!” he parroted back at her and glared into his girlfriend’s eyes. “Amber, you’ve been spiteful, mean, bitchy, and downright awful to all four of them guys and if you don’t stop it right now and grovel like there ain’t no tomorrow, then you lose me too!” He crossed his arms defiantly and wouldn’t budge.

“Colby! No…baby…” she struggled for words and sobbed into his side, but he turned away from her.

“Get away from me, Amber. You done this to yourself, girl. You been so damned mean that you lost all of us. Even your Sammie.”

With huge, wet eyes, Amber turned to Sam. “Is that true? Because I’m not happy for them and think something isn’t my taste? You’ll throw away all our years of friendship for this?” she shook her head and laughed at it all. “Holy crap! No, Sammie. No way.”

With a courage Sam hadn’t known before, he stood up to her one final time. “I agree, no way! We’re done, Amber. You killed our friendship tonight, for good! Now I want you to get outta here and don’t ever call me again, do you understand me? We’re through, Amber! I’m happy! I’ve got my man and my real friends right here.” He glanced up at Colby. “Dude… I understand if you gotta stand by your woman.” He hated to even speak her name anymore.

Colby and Amber traded looks and he shook his head and walked towards the men. “Hell, no! I ain’t stayin’ with that one. She don’t love her friend unconditionally; I don’t like that one damn bit. You guys are my friends.”

Wow, now that was a surprise, and very satisfying. Sam felt easier about things, but only briefly. He felt tears teasing his eyes over the loss of his best friend. “Amber… I lost you a long time ago.”

But she wasn’t having it. “Oh hell no.” she held up her hand to stop him from talking. “My man with y’all? Hell no.”

“Oh hell yes, girl!” Colby spat back. “You want a show of solidarity? I’ll show you how real guys stick together.” He surveyed the group and settled on Sam first, going up to him and not only hugging him, but giving him a nice kiss on the lips!

“Omigod! Colby!” Amber gasped.

Sam smiled and was thrilled to see such a show of support.

“Oh hell, I ain’t done yet, girl!” he went to Brett next and did the same thing, then to Ryan and even Caleb. When he was done, he was tucked into Caleb’s side.

“I’m so gonna puke! You guys are sick! Just absolutely sick! You’ve turned my boyfriend into one of you!” she shouted.

“One of us, Amber?” Sam was so mad he wanted to shove an apple into her mouth and toss her onto a spit! “Shut up and get out of this house! You’re not welcome in my life anymore! Close your mouth and leave!” he demanded.

Before she left the room, stumbling backwards, she glanced at Colby. “We’re done now, Baby?”

Colby nodded. “Hell yeah we’re done. Go home, Amber. Go friend people that are what you want them to be first. Maybe some Barbie dolls or somethin’. We’re through.”

With all five guys against one girl, she didn’t stand a chance of breaking their loyalty.

“Fine! Fuck you all! Go to hell, all of you! Goodbye!” she ran out the door and slammed it shut.

“Stick an apple in it!” Sam yelled after her.

There was such an air of relief after she left that it took a minute for the tension to subside. Sam felt his pulse slow with every rub on his shoulders that Brett gave him.

“Better, baby?”

“Mmmhmm. Much better.” Sam felt more relaxed every second. He watched the others meander over. “Colby…I’m so shocked and pleased that you support us.”

The young man shrugged. “Ah hell, Sam. Y’all have always been good guys. You just told her too much. I’m glad I got out before she demanded I marry her.” He snorted.

“So are we. You deserve a lot better.” Ryan told him. “We have two weddings to plan already.”

“Sure as shootin’ ya do. I’m pleased as punch you guys are tying the knot. I don’t think it’s sudden, I think it’s awesome.”

“Thanks, Colby.” Caleb replied.

Sam looked the young man up and down. “Hey, my attendant of honor just ran out the door, I’m short one. Colby? You wanna do the honors?”

He looked shocked. “Me? Aw hell, Sam. That should be for your best friends, which I think are them two right here.” He indicated Ryan and Caleb.

“Well…” Ryan is my best man.” Brett reported. “So it’s only natural that Caleb should be yours, baby.”

“That would be awesome.” Sam smiled at the thought and approached his huge friend. “Wanna do the honors, Caleb? Hand me Brett’s ring and make sure I can breathe? Plus give an awesome toast?”

Caleb nodded. “I can do that. I’d loved it. But on one condition; that you two do the same for us.”

Brett and Sam both nodded. “We’d be honored, guys.” Brett replied.

“Colby can be the usher both times.” Sam announced. “We’ll find you a good girl to be with by then for sure.”

“Aw hell, maybe. Lemme get over the drama that one brought on first. No more of that crap for sure. We’re at a party and we gotta ring out 2014 with a bang!”

Sam smiled wide. “Sounds good to me! Out with the old and in with the new!”

And party they did, long past midnight. The horrid drama and exit of Amber from his life was painful, but it was necessary. Brett was his life, and his family, and skating. Plus his friends…his real friends. Four of the best buds he’d ever met.

Going out with a BANG!
Copyright © 2014 stephanie l danielson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Fireworks on New Years. Couldn't be better. As Sam said, he had list amber a long time ago. And good for Colby! What a night!

Link to comment
On 01/01/2014 02:43 PM, Quiet man said:
Fireworks on New Years. Couldn't be better. As Sam said, he had list amber a long time ago. And good for Colby! What a night!
Thank you! Had to go all out for the New year!
Link to comment

Meh, kinda have to side with Amber. They shouldn't have been swapping partners and the engagement seems forced but whatever. Hope it all works out

Link to comment

Great fireworks but I hope it's not the last we hear about Amber she was right about the 4 boys thay should never of got involved sexauly . But because of her big mouth she has lost her boyfriend and best friend . At last we got to see what Colby is made of cant wait for the new year hopefully lotts more of Colby good or bad and hopefully 2 weddings to look forward to

Link to comment

I think all five boys will be much happier without Amber around. She was right about about them swapping partners, but if she wasn´t comfortable about Sam being in gay relationship and having sex with Brett, she should have said something earlier on so that Sam´d known not to tell her details about it. It´s only natural to tell your best friend about your life, sometimes even about your sex life. At the end Amber seemed two-faced and manipulative and always wanting to have her own way. Not a nice quality in a friend.

About the engagement, I didn´t think it was too soon or forced, because I seem to remember them talking about getting married one day in earlier chapters. It seemed like an appropriate ending to their fall out and getting back together.

It´s been a lovely story :worship:

Link to comment
On 01/01/2014 05:50 PM, C.K. said:
Meh, kinda have to side with Amber. They shouldn't have been swapping partners and the engagement seems forced but whatever. Hope it all works out
Thank you...I hope it does.
Link to comment
On 01/01/2014 06:25 PM, paul.b said:
Great fireworks but I hope it's not the last we hear about Amber she was right about the 4 boys thay should never of got involved sexauly . But because of her big mouth she has lost her boyfriend and best friend . At last we got to see what Colby is made of cant wait for the new year hopefully lotts more of Colby good or bad and hopefully 2 weddings to look forward to
I like Colby a lot; he's a good guy and stands with his friends. Amber has such a big mouth! I'll see where she stands in the next book...
Link to comment
On 01/01/2014 07:05 PM, Suvitar said:
I think all five boys will be much happier without Amber around. She was right about about them swapping partners, but if she wasn´t comfortable about Sam being in gay relationship and having sex with Brett, she should have said something earlier on so that Sam´d known not to tell her details about it. It´s only natural to tell your best friend about your life, sometimes even about your sex life. At the end Amber seemed two-faced and manipulative and always wanting to have her own way. Not a nice quality in a friend.

About the engagement, I didn´t think it was too soon or forced, because I seem to remember them talking about getting married one day in earlier chapters. It seemed like an appropriate ending to their fall out and getting back together.

It´s been a lovely story :worship:

I agree that they need a long break from Amber. Sam needs to find out what life is like without her. I agree the engagement might've been a little bit of guilt, but they both wanted it for a long time.

Thank you, it's been wonderful writing it.

Link to comment

I really do think that as soon as Ryan and Caleb started becoming more prominent...that's when Amber probably started becoming less important to Sam. As much as her recent judgmental opinions made things worse for her...I can't help but think that Sam would've still chosen Ryan and Caleb over her in the end anyway.

 

Why? Simple - because they're gay boys just like he and Brett, and she's not. It's almost like they wanted what happened here to happen, from the way they were scrutinizing her every move like hawks. Suppose what was really going on all this time was that Amber could see what was happening on that front, but she simply reacted badly to it all - her "judgments" being the result?

Link to comment
On 01/02/2014 05:45 AM, MJ85 said:
I really do think that as soon as Ryan and Caleb started becoming more prominent...that's when Amber probably started becoming less important to Sam. As much as her recent judgmental opinions made things worse for her...I can't help but think that Sam would've still chosen Ryan and Caleb over her in the end anyway.

 

Why? Simple - because they're gay boys just like he and Brett, and she's not. It's almost like they wanted what happened here to happen, from the way they were scrutinizing her every move like hawks. Suppose what was really going on all this time was that Amber could see what was happening on that front, but she simply reacted badly to it all - her "judgments" being the result?

I agree with your points, MJ...we go for people who are most like us, and in the end, SB of course will gravitate towards RC.

Amber didn't help her case though and could've been Sam's bff forever...but not gonna happen now.

Link to comment

Okay, so maybe I'm a bit old fashioned, but to be honest everything other than her being homophobic I agree with. The entire last book was about how insecure Brett and Sam felt about their relationship but now all of a sudden they're exchanging sex partners? Also I feel as though you're forcing the drama into the story with Amber, the previous story she thought Sam was being a little douchbag for letting the fame get to his head but torwards the end of the book all of a sudden she thinks Brett is jealous of Sam's fame...? This story is extremely confusing.

Link to comment
On 01/02/2014 08:57 PM, kokobellaxo said:
Okay, so maybe I'm a bit old fashioned, but to be honest everything other than her being homophobic I agree with. The entire last book was about how insecure Brett and Sam felt about their relationship but now all of a sudden they're exchanging sex partners? Also I feel as though you're forcing the drama into the story with Amber, the previous story she thought Sam was being a little douchbag for letting the fame get to his head but torwards the end of the book all of a sudden she thinks Brett is jealous of Sam's fame...? This story is extremely confusing.
What can I say? I like to change things up and take things in new, unexplored directions. Amber was toeing the line a long time ago and overall, people are happy she's out of the picture for now.

People are complicated...

Link to comment

Just binge read 3/4 today and while I agree that partner swapping wasn't the best idea, Amber was way out of line with how she addressed it. You can disagree with people without being a bitch and saying they're disgusting. I was happy Sam stood up to her, she wasn't doing him any favors. I can't wait for the next book, this one of the best series I've read in a while.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/12/2014 05:52 PM, jabrown said:
Just binge read 3/4 today and while I agree that partner swapping wasn't the best idea, Amber was way out of line with how she addressed it. You can disagree with people without being a bitch and saying they're disgusting. I was happy Sam stood up to her, she wasn't doing him any favors. I can't wait for the next book, this one of the best series I've read in a while.
Thank you! I agree Amber was out of line with her reaction about how things blew it...the swapping was nice; at first.

 

More to come for sure; planning a spinoff series of Ryan and Caleb.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..