Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Ice Fairy 4 - 11. Chapter 11

Chapter Eleven

Brett’s POV

After the shakedown with Amber, the couples returned upstairs and she ran to Colby’s side, which he didn’t seem to mind. From what Brett saw she hung onto him tighter than ever. He shook his head and slung an arm around Sam’s shoulders.

“I hope she’s learned her lesson.”

“Me, too.” Sam agreed. “Let’s just get on with Christmas. My mom had some ideas for our wedding.” He warned.

Brett felt his stomach tighten. “Oh really? I know my folks have some very definite thoughts on it too.” He knew they’d disagree on some of it; merging two cultures together.

“Guys! Come on over. We’re just talking about you.” Meredith waved them over and Brett felt the tension get worse; but he sat down across from his mom and Midori and just kept hold of Sam’s hand.

“What’ve you cooked up now?” Brett asked.

The mothers shared a look. “Oh, nothing much yet. We’re got the hall rented and found a photographer…” she pushed a portfolio their way and he picked it up and thumbed through it.

“Wow, he does nice work.” Sam commented. “Are you sure he shoots gay weddings?”

Meredith nodded. “Yes. I’m checking into all of that. You wouldn’t believe the answers I get from some people though.” She harrumphed. “You’d think I’m asking them to chop off a hand or something.”

Of course they’d run into some issues; but finding willing businesses to get the wedding items shouldn’t be that difficult, should it?

“Well, this isn’t exactly gay wedding central around here. It’s not even legal. All we’re doing is basically for show; at least that way. Everything else will stay the same.”

Sam nudged him. “Except my name.” he pointed out.

“Oh, right. Forgot.” Brett hadn’t really, but bringing it up around his mother was a touchy subject.

“You no be Ogawa anymore?” Midori asked.

“No, mama. I’ll be Sam Zephyr. I’ll always be your little boy and Kim’s big brother, but my name will be different. I just can’t live with the name he gave me.”

His dark eyes were down and he looked saddened. Mr. Ichiro Ogawa had fucked up everything for his son; embezzling his money and holding him back in every way possible, even trying to keep Brett away. He understood his fiancé’s choice perfectly.

“I don’t blame you at all.” Brett cooed at him.

“Nor do I.” Meredith added in her support.

Midori was quiet for a moment, but finally nodded. “We still need Japanese wedding. Red is your color and it must be traditional.”

Wow! Enough with the traditions already. Brett just wanted to get married. He wasn’t kidding when he told Ryan and Colby to elope if they wanted to get hitched; this whole planning bit was bullshit.

“But it must be part American too.” Meredith insisted. “We’re not going to have an all sushi bar and rice wine.”

“Agree. But not all cake and meat too.” Midori shot back.

Brett was sick of this already. “Why not offer sushi and have rice wine at the bar available? We’ll have an open bar, right? Soda, beer, wine? Anything stronger than that is cash.” He offered.

“I like that.” Sam agreed and curled up into Brett’s side. “Right now I just wanna enjoy Christmas though. Can we just relax?”

Meredith nodded. “Sure. Of course. Sorry. We’ll discuss all of this later on, when you get back from touring.” She closed the huge binder she’d already started and tucked it to her. “You’re my only child, Brett. I wanna do it up big. I want to invite all of our friends and for them to see my son.”

As touching as her pride in him was, Brett felt the pressure. “I get it, mom. I do. Sam and I will have a great wedding; whatever you guys cook up. I’m a lousy planner with that kind of thing. Amber picked out her own dress, the guys their own tuxes. We’re just kinda easy-going about it.”

“Just let us pick the rings and some of the food and we’re good.” Sam offered.

“You no want in on planning?” Midori asked.

“Not really. I mean, we’ve got our attendants and the clothes and we’re going ring shopping when I get back. Like Brett said, just let us pick out some of the food. You guys can argue out the rest.”

Brett secretly loved this. He suspected all along when he proposed that it’d turn into the woman’s love fest of planning and dreams and societal obligations. Whatever. He didn’t care. As long as his pals were there, and he got to be married to Sam at the end of the day.

“I just wanna be married to Sam and go house hunting.” Brett stated. “That’s all.”

Sam grinned at him. “We can look when we get back. You know our budget.”

“Yeah I do, baby. We’ve got an area, a budget, and a general style. Now to find a realtor and nail it all down.”

Mitch wandered over and gave his wife a look. “Meredith, enough with the wedding talk. There’s time. Come on, it’s Christmas Day.” He took her hand and dragged her away from the table at last.

Sam and Brett got up as well and went over to the living room, where Ryan and Caleb were curled up together in a chair, Ryan on Caleb’s lap. They looked relieved to all hell and very happy.

“You guys look a million times better.” Brett commented. “Looks damn good to see it.” He sat across from them and Sam took a seat on his lap.

“Yeah it does.” Sam parroted.

Ryan smiled. “It helps getting all that off your chest. The truth is out at least and it’s true about it setting you free.” He looked very lovingly into Caleb’s eyes and the two were silent for a moment. Brett was happy that they’d decided what they had. It’d made things easier all the way around.

“I’m sorry too,” Sam started. “I didn’t help things.”

“Shhh. We’ve already covered that.” Brett told him. “It’s all good now. All of it.” His eyes caught Amber and Colby over in the corner. “Most of it.”

Sam looked over at the couple as well and then back at Brett. “She’d better not say anything ever again, guys. I mean it.” He was angry and shaking, Brett felt it. “I love her to death, but it’s her mouth that’ll end our friendship if she ever…”

“Whoa, simmer down there.” Caleb suggested. “Sam, relax. Ryebread and I are great again and yeah, things got out of hand and told to the wrong people; but it’s all out there now and done. You guys are getting married and buying a house…”

Brett sensed that note of jealousy again in his friend’s voice. “What about you guys? What’ll happen now?”

Ryan sighed. “I don’t really know. Keep living together for sure.” He bopped Caleb’s nose. “But my folks’ll want to know I’m really being taken care of. Papa was pretty pissed.”

“As he had a right to be.” Caleb agreed as he took Ryan’s hand and kissed it. “Only a fool would let you go. I don’t like being a fool; the costume doesn’t look good on me.”

All four of the young men snickered at the joke and it drew Amber and Colby over to where they were.

“Hey, good joke?” Amber asked. “I sure could use one.”

Brett wanted to roll his eyes at her. She’d dig her own grave for sure if someone, Colby, wasn’t there to pull her back. “Oh just picturing Caleb in a spandex jester’s outfit.”

“You mean a harlequin?” a sweet, high voice asked. Kim appeared from around the corner. Where she’d been hiding was anyone’s guess; but he was thrilled his future sister in law had. She climbed up on the sofa next to them and leaned on Brett’s other arm.

“Yes, sweetie. Like a court jester.”

Kim laughed. “Why would Caleb wear something like that?”

“Because I was a fool, Kim. Almost.” He tucked Ryan’s head to his chest again and kissed it.

Amber looked like she wanted to say something, but a very serious look from Sam stopped her cold.

“Well… good thing you didn’t.” was all she spoke. Brett was relieved.

“Amen.” Ryan agreed.

“Speaking of family, we need to go soon. My folks are expecting us.” Caleb checked his watch. “I missed them last night; don’t want to again today.”

“Hell no, not on Christmas day.” Colby interjected. “Though I ain’t missin’ part of mine one bit.”

Brett nodded. “I bet not. That’s gotta be rough, Cheeseman.”

“It is, but I got friends here and my girl.” He held Amber to him. “Got everything I need.”

Ryan turned to Caleb suddenly. “Think your folks would have mine over? We’re right next door. Iron all of this out at once?”

“I love that idea.” Caleb kissed him quickly and they started to get up. “Guys, I’ve got some groveling to go do and I’d rather be done with it. We’ll see you later.”

“Sounds good. Text me when you’re back; we’ll pick up our stuff. We’re staying here.”

“Good deal.” Ryan added. “See you guys later.”

There were hugs all around and the couple made a quick exit. Their absence made a small hole in things; but Brett knew they’d be alright. He hoped so anyway.

“Such great guys.” Brett mentioned.

“Yeah they are.” Sam agreed.

“Indeed.” Amber muttered, they all knew full well her opinions. Brett didn’t want to hear them anymore though; as far as he was concerned, she was on probation with him at best.

“Leave it be, Amber. They’re happy again. Leave them alone or you’ll have me on your case next.” He glared at her. “I’m not as nice as Sam.”

Kim broke up the tension. “Let’s go play a game!” she grabbed both of their hands and they were happily pulled away from the scene to go spend time with the bright young girl.

Copyright © 2014 stephanie l danielson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Hopefully wedding planning won´t cause too much trouble, but I can see both mother´s wanting things their own way. It´ll probably be Sam who is needed to make compromises and keep the peace. :*)

Great chapter! Such a cozy Christmas with family and friends :thumbup:

Link to comment
On 12/29/2013 05:00 PM, Suvitar said:
Hopefully wedding planning won´t cause too much trouble, but I can see both mother´s wanting things their own way. It´ll probably be Sam who is needed to make compromises and keep the peace. :*)

Great chapter! Such a cozy Christmas with family and friends :thumbup:

Thanks! Yeah, wedding planning will drive anyone nuts and compromises must be made. I think all they care about at the end of the day is that they'll be married; everything else is secondary.
Link to comment

Leave the wedding planning to Mererdith and Midori hopefully be they will come to a comprise . I love the sound of a Japanese American wedding with Kim and Midori wearing kimonos . And Midori didn't seam to mind too much adout Sam changing his name but what will Amber have to say . At least Caleb and Ryan manged to escape from Amber . I'd like to hear more about Colby dose he like Sam and Brett or dose he put up with them because Sam is her best friend he seems to keep a low profile in front of them

Link to comment
On 12/30/2013 01:29 AM, paul.b said:
Leave the wedding planning to Mererdith and Midori hopefully be they will come to a comprise . I love the sound of a Japanese American wedding with Kim and Midori wearing kimonos . And Midori didn't seam to mind too much adout Sam changing his name but what will Amber have to say . At least Caleb and Ryan manged to escape from Amber . I'd like to hear more about Colby dose he like Sam and Brett or dose he put up with them because Sam is her best friend he seems to keep a low profile in front of them
I agree with leaving the planning up to them; they just want it over with and they're married at the end of the day. Aww, love the idea of them in kimonos!

Colby is not touchy-feely at all except with Amber; he's just really shy.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..