Jump to content
    Thirdly
  • Author
  • 1,105 Words
  • 1,825 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Plattenbau - 3. Chapter 3- Going Down

p style="text-align:center;"> spacer.png

The dark-haired boy sprinted towards the elevator, not wanting to stay in the long, dimly lit corridors that gave him chills down his spine for any longer than necessary. When Alex saw the doors closing he yelled for whoever was in there to wait and to his surprise they really did because the doors opened again. With a slight jog, he slipped into the elevator. The teenager hastily pressed the button for the ground floor and waited for the thing to start moving before he finally turned around towards the other person that was with him in the small, stinking metal box.

His breath got stuck in his throat when he looked up at the large grizzly bear of a man whose frame occupied more than half of the space, giving the boy not much of a space to move. When his eyes slowly wandered upwards to the older man's face, the first thing he noticed were a pair of tired-looking, silvery gray eyes. He didn't understand what it was exactly, but something in them just resonated with him and held him captive. Maybe it was the loneliness they seemed to radiate, or the sense of being entirely removed from the world and its troubles but either way, it just fascinated him.

While continuing to stare into those ghostly grayish orbs that he mentally continued to make assumptions about, Alex made up his mind. He made it his new objection to try to befriend the giant, scary-looking bear…even though he feared that it would require a lot of work on his part.

"Got a problem?" The guy suddenly grumbled, his deep, raspy voice echoing slightly in the tiny elevator.

The teenager shook his head.

Alex could feel his face heating up in embarrassment and his heart skipping a beat when the guy looked back at him. With a shaky breath, he forced himself to look away. He didn't want to piss off the older man even more than he already seemed to have, ruining any chance of getting to know him.

"Uhm... I'm Alex... I moved in today." The younger man awkwardly stammered in an attempt to start a conversation. But it didn't seem to work, because the older man just continued to glare at the elevator doors and showed no sign that he had even heard what Alex said. "Uhm... What's your name, sir?" He tried again with his eyes fixated on the floor. But again, he got no response out of the man. When they reached the ground floor a few seconds later and the doors started to open, Alex had given up on getting an answer out of the guy.

Then, suddenly, he replied "Mister Schneider. I live next door to you. Try to keep the noise down. I don't like noisy people."

Without waiting another second, Mister Schneider exited the elevator and walked towards the main entrance of the building.

______

Ed sighed in relief when he exited the building and didn't hear the footsteps of the annoying boy behind him.

If there was one thing he hated even more than dealing with people he didn't know, it was dealing with teenagers or, hell, anyone under the age of twenty-five. They just had too much energy, no matter what they did. Sure, he had been like that too when he was that age but now all this hectic behavior and need to talk only managed to give him headaches.

Ed sauntered down the street with his usual scowl that kept people from approaching him. From the corner of his eyes he saw a moving truck, parked only a few meters away from the building. A small, middle aged woman was in the process of unloading some heavy looking furniture and seemed to struggle a bit. But because he wasn't really in the mood to offer a helping hand, he just continued his stroll.

When he was about to round the street corner he heard that boy running after him while screeching his name. So much for keeping the noise down, Ed thought and stopped, knowing full well that he neither had the energy nor the determination to out-run this stupid boy.

The boy coughed and wheezed, when he had finally caught up with him.

While he was still trying to catch his breath, Ed teased, "Don't smoke so much. It's bad for you."

Stunned, the boy looked up at him. It seemed like the kid didn't grasp that it was meant as a joke because he stupidly replied, "Uhm, I don't smoke..."

Ed sighed. People rarely got his jokes, maybe it was because of his monotone voice or his grim demeanor that made them think that he wasn't the type of person that would crack jokes but either way, they often fell flat. He looked back at the teen and noticed he was still staring at him as if he was some sort of rare creature. It made him feel uncomfortable in his own skin and highly annoyed him.

Just leave me the fuck alone! Ed thought to himself and then thought of something that he hoped would get rid of the annoying, little squirrel. A sickening grin spread across his face when he finally thought of something. He pulled out his pack of cigarettes and a lighter from the pocket of his old leather jacket. Then he slowly took out one of those cancer sticks, lit it up, took a long drag from it and then bowed down uncomfortably close to the kid to blow out the smoke right into his face.

When the thick, gray smoke lifted, Ed saw the boy holding back a coughing fit, probably in an attempt to seem unbothered by his action.

Seeing that his plan hadn't really worked as intended and that the boy was still giving him an awed look made Ed even more annoyed. "What the fuck do you want?" He harshly asked and stood up straight again to use his impressive stature to intimate the boy.

"Uhm well I... uhm...well you see..." Alex stuttered, followed by a bunch of hushed curses that seemed to be directed towards himself.

For some reason, Ed felt a pinch of guilt about how he was behaving but then again, he just wanted to be left alone and for the kid to understand that he wasn't interested in socializing...

"I want to be your friend!"

It burst out of the teenager’s mouth so suddenly that Ed almost choked on his cigarette fumes.

"Fuck off!" He responded. Ed had certainly not expected those kinds of words from the boy’s mouth. He shook his head in disbelief and thought to himself, I'm not that fucking desperate!

Copyright © 2022 LunaM.; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Love 7
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 11
  • Sad 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

About as opposite from a "meet cute" as you can get, but I still love it. 🤣 Don't worry, Alex has guts to spare.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Thirdly said:

About as opposite from a "meet cute" as you can get, but I still love it. 🤣 Don't worry, Alex has guts to spare.

Yes he is a determined little squirrel, who isn't afraid to crack even the hardest nut.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
15 minutes ago, centexhairysub said:

I don't care how fu%&ed up Ed's life is; you just don't do that to a child or a teenager either one; you just don't.  

Yeah Ed is not the nicest in the beginning of the story but he will grow as a character. I promise. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Fingers Crossed 3
Link to comment
10 hours ago, centexhairysub said:

I don't care how fu%&ed up Ed's life is; you just don't do that to a child or a teenager either one; you just don't.  

I'd say one shouldn't do that to anyone regardless of age. But, yes. Ed was clearly reacting too hastily there. This is basically his rock bottom, though.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
12 hours ago, SnowBear said:

I'm loving this so far! Great characters and Ed sounds exactly like me in 20 years 🤣 

He's really struggling with himself, with others...everything. Alex is a wake up call.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Alex's reaction to meeting Ed was very unexpected.  It make me wonder what has prompted that kind of reaction to Ed surly behavior.  What kind of parents would produce a young guy like Alex to try to make a friend of Ed who seems to reject Alex immediately.  This plot is both interesting and twisted from the start.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

 

Ed slandered down the street

I'm not sure what word you meant to use but "slander" is basically telling malicious lies about someone.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Paqman said:

 

Ed slandered down the street

I'm not sure what word you meant to use but "slander" is basically telling malicious lies about someone.

Was meant to be sauntered, not slandered. What an interesting typo. Thanks for catching it! 😂

  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Paqman said:

 

Ed slandered down the street

I'm not sure what word you meant to use but "slander" is basically telling malicious lies about someone.

😅 well I only learned English 2-3 years ago so you probably can imagine how many tipos where in the original text. Without Michi's edit it would be a total mess.

  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, LunaM. said:

😅 well I only learned English 2-3 years ago so you probably can imagine how many tipos where in the original text. Without Michi's edit it would be a total mess.

It wasn't nearly as bad as you say it was, and I hope I caught most of them. I kept falling out of editor mode to laugh or react to what was happening as I read it, so...🤦‍♀️

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

The overriding question remains, will they need the largest mechanical excavator/backhoe they can find,  to remove the stick/branch from Ed's ass???

Large Backhoe stock image. Image of banks, construction - 3735021

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 11/21/2022 at 10:26 PM, Thirdly said:

About as opposite from a "meet cute" as you can get, but I still love it. 🤣 Don't worry, Alex has guts to spare.

He will need it 😆 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
On 12/7/2022 at 4:22 PM, LunaM. said:

😅 well I only learned English 2-3 years ago so you probably can imagine how many tipos where in the original text. Without Michi's edit it would be a total mess.

Well done you! 👏 

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Alex's determined to befriend Ed, who fiercely resists. Both the actions of determination and resistance are interesting. Let's see how it progresses.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..