Jump to content
    Timothy M.
  • Author
  • 1,449 Words
  • 2,935 Views
  • 47 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to Mercedes Lackey, Tor Publishing and their inheritors. <br>

Danger and Love - 1. Where do I go from here?

This is a Valdemar fanfic story, see story note. Thoughts and Mindspeech (telepathy) are in italics. In addition, Mindspeech is shown between : text : signatures as in the Valdemar books.

“Laryn, what are you doing?”

The harsh whisper caused the boy in front of me to scramble back with a scared whimper. Nerith jumped to his feet and scuttled away past my uncle, who let him go. I fastened my breeches with a sigh before turning around. Why do adults always ask stupid questions like that?

“Wasn’t it pretty obvious?”

“You know that’s forbidden, not to mention dangerous. What if you’d been caught by anyone but me?”

I’d get beaten, obviously. “No one comes to this part of the stables anymore. So what are you doing here?” I eyed the travel packs next to Uncle Kendrick with wary interest. Was he planning to leave Edgehold? The thought made my guts churn.

“We can’t discuss this here. Give me a minute and we’ll go to the grove.” He picked up the packs and pushed past me going into the darkest part of the dilapidated box. When he came back his hands were empty.

None of us spoke on the way to the side door which let us exit the keep opposite the grove. The stand of hardy oak trees stood about one quarter league from the gate. There was a guard, of course, but he wasn’t there to prevent anyone from leaving, only Karsite bandits from sneaking in. At nighttime the gate would be locked and barred, and two guards with a dog slept in the room beside it. The present undeclared war between Valdemar and Karse necessitated even more vigilance than normal for this border area.

Though I’m not yet fourteen, I’ve done stints as a guard on the walls, and as the only grandson of the Holder I’ve been training as a warrior since I was five. It’s the main reason I’m allowed to associate with my youngest uncle. Father may hate his half-brother, but he knows Ken is the best swordsman and horseman around, now that grandfather is too old and sick to fight. Father pretends he’s better, and none would dare gainsay him, but he’s too busy managing the holding to keep training. He also says Ken should earn his keep by carrying out any duties he’s assigned.

By the time we’d walked to the clearing in the middle of the grove my worry about Uncle Ken catching me with Nerith in the stable had mounted. He’d seemed more scandalized than surprised. Of course I knew Father would have a fit if he discovered my appreciation of cute stable boys, partly because Nerith is way below me in rank. I tried not to think of the last reason, but Ken soon brought up my duty to beget an heir.

“I’ve noticed you sneaking off with Nerith for the past few weeks. I assumed you simply wanted to spend more time with the horses, since you’d get to choose one when you turn fourteen. I never thought you‘d abuse your position to gratify yourself.”

“I never would. We exchange favors and I always go first.” The taste of him turns me on, as do the cute faces he makes, trying not to make any revealing sounds.

“Are you mad? Don’t you understand your antics could cost Nerith his life? You’d only get a thrashing and a quick marriage, but he would pay a much higher price.”

I gaped at him. “You’re not serious? We’re just having fun.”

“So you’re not…,” he asked, but hesitated at saying the words.

“In love? No, but we do like each other.”

“And do you like girls as well? Enough to beget children?”

I could hear the hope in his voice, but I’d been brought up to tell the truth.

“Will I ever sleep with girls? No. They’ll be friends and sisters only.”

“Oh Havens, Laryn, I don’t know what to do. Jonne was bad enough, but this will kill Papa.”

“Jonne?” My absent uncle whose name is never spoken openly? “He’s like me? And why are you worried about Grandfather?”

“Jonne was caught kissing another man ten years ago, and if Papa hadn’t sent him away to be a soldier I think Andras and Borun would’ve found a way to get rid of my brother permanently.” He scowled as he said Father and Uncle Boor’s names. “They’d certainly make an example of Nerith for seducing you, and I have a feeling he’d end up wishing he was dead instead of where they might send him.”

“No! No one knows but you, and you’d never betray me.” He’s the only one in Edgehold I trust unconditionally. Mother may love me, but she’s only loyal to her husband.

“Will you swear an oath to stay away from him and other males as long as your father and Borun live? Not that I expect my glutton of a half-brother to last long.”

“I don’t know. I don’t want to give my word if I can’t keep it. I’ve been thinking about telling grandfather and asking him to prevent the engagement.”

“Laryn, your grandfather is very ill and in a lot of pain. I don’t think he will last till spring.”

Father had told me countless times a man doesn’t cry, and I rarely did, even when in pain. But the thought of my grandfather dying sent tears coursing down my cheeks. I loved him and I suddenly knew why Ken was planning to leave. But why now, and not after…after the terrible moment I didn’t want to imagine. My life would become unbearable without them to protect me.

“Please don’t leave me.” I don’t care if begging’s unmanly too.

He pulled me into an embrace and held me while I cried against his chest for a short while. But I soon got myself under control and stepped back.

We were staring at each other, probably both trying to come up with something to say or a solution, when there was a rustle behind me. Ken’s eyes went wide with horrified surprise, and I whirled, almost expecting to see Father behind me. But it was only a horse, a white horse with blue eyes….

Oh, right. Not a horse, but a Companion. And with no Herald that means….

I fell into the blueness and love of the Companion’s eyes. :Hello, Laryn. My name is Fioreth and I choose you.: A warm feeling of safety enveloped me, and I smiled with more happiness than I’d ever known before.

I came back to reality with a start, as my Companion let go of my gaze and sidled sideways, clearly expecting me to mount. At the same time uncle Kendrick swore.

“No way in Hell are you carrying him off, right now,” he exclaimed and moved over to grab my arm.

Fioreth turned his head and glared at him, and so did I. How dare he come between us?

“Oh, don’t you give me those looks! I know a newly Chosen is supposed to go with his Companion immediately, but there’re Karsite bandits and worse out there. And I’m not going back alone to tell Andras his only son and heir is going to be a Herald. It would be almost worse than telling him you’re fey. He hates Heralds.”

“But…but, I need to go with Fioreth. He loves me and cares about me.”

“And I don’t? You know I want what’s best for you. I agree going to Haven is the perfect solution, because I’m bound there myself. But I’ll be going with Jonne’s company of soldiers, and you’ll do the same; Herald Trainee or not.”

“Jonne’s here? How do you know?” I was reeling from the thought of meeting the long-lost uncle, whom I could barely remember.

“Your grandfather found out, and he’s made the plans. He’ll understand if I include you. We leave either tomorrow or the day after. Can you hide here?”

The last question was directed to my Companion, who nodded, but once more presented his side. Now what?

“Go on, silly,” Ken laughed. “Take a quick ride on your new best friend, before you unsaddle him for now. He’ll be waiting to carry you off to a better place.”

:Indeed I will. Heralds and Guardsmen of Valdemar are a lot more accepting of same-sex attraction, and shieldmates are common in the army. Your uncle Jonne was sharing the Herald-Mage’s tent for weeks before Vanyel left.:

I gulped at the unexpected tidbit of information about the famous Herald, but it did the last to dispel any qualms I had about leaving my home. I might lose most of my family, but my uncles would be with me, and they were as accepting of me as Fioreth was. Their love would be enough for now, but maybe one day I’d find more.

Companions are best explained as white magic horses who choose future Heralds. Most of them live dangerous lives to protect the Kingdom of Valdemar.
© 1987 - 2022 Mercedes Lackey, Tor Publishing; All Rights Reserved; Copyright © 2018 Timothy M.; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to Mercedes Lackey, Tor Publishing and their inheritors. <br>
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



2 minutes ago, ColumbusGuy said:

 

About the only books I read with gay characters were Marion Zimmer Bradley's 'Darkover' books...and i read all of them and the ones by other writers she lit in.  Did Ms. Lackey write there--it sounds possible now?

I'm starting your 'Companion' story now...once again out of order.  *sigh* 

I won't bitch about leaving us hanging, because I just did it myself with JM, and I am working on a Tales chapter too--and looked back only to realize it's been a freakin' YEAR...so, I'm a very bad boy myself.  :*)

 

You should check out Myr's Book Bazar blog. I found a couple of new favorites there, recently.

In this case it doesn't matter you're reading these stories in reverse order. In fact, I was hoping this snippet would entice readers to try out the longer Anthology story.

Have fun, I'm off to bed. :hug: 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Well told and exciting; your explanations help me understand the background of this world, as I have not read the Valdemar  books. Poor Nerith. How will he manage in the days that follow? Don’t suppose you plan a follow up chapter? 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Wow, I haven’t read any Valdemar stories beyond a short story compelation back in high school, and the original Arrows of the Queen trilogy a few years later.  That being said, this was a nice taste of that world.  And, in all honesty I wish there was more.  I’d love to see what sorts of adventures this young man would get up to.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Nicely done! I am a fan of fantasy and sci-fi, but I don't know much about this series. I read and enjoyed your other story from this series, and at that time I googled to find out more. It included a long list of Valdemar stories in chronological order. This was another tantalizing peek. I guess I need to go to the library. Thanks for sharing.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..